Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,813 members, 7,810,124 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:14 PM

My 17 Year Old Daughter Challenged My Authority Over Her, Should I Beat Her? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My 17 Year Old Daughter Challenged My Authority Over Her, Should I Beat Her? (1342 Views)

"I Beat My Wife Everyday, Yet We Are The Best Couple On Earth" – Pastor Jackson / I Beat Up My Husband Anytime He Demands Sex – Wife / I Beat My Wife. What Would You Have Done Differently In My Situation? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My 17 Year Old Daughter Challenged My Authority Over Her, Should I Beat Her? by ItuExchange(m): 1:08am On May 15, 2016
My 17 year old daughter said something horrible to me, should I punish her?

I'M 20 WEEKS PREGNANT AND MY DAUGHTER SAID SOMETHING SO HORRIBLE. SHE SAID IT IN FRONT ME AND MY HUSBAND! SHE YELLED AT ME AND SAID "I HOPE THE BABY DIES! YOUR JUST A SLUT WHO GOT KNOCKED UP!" I'M VERY SHOCKED WHAT SHOULD I DO? MY HUSBAND IS UPSET OVER THIS BUT WE DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO.

As someone who was only just recently a teenager, I can tell you that punishing your daughter as one commenter suggested will not help. While I can't imagine calling my mother a slut or wishing death on her baby if she had been pregnant, I can imagine feeling what your daughter is most likely feeling. I'm going to assume that your daughter is an only child for now, and your pregnancy probably hurts her feelings. Think about this: one day, your husband comes to you and says, "Darling, you are the best wife I could ever hope for. I love you so much that I've decided to get a second wife." You would be hurt and angry. You wouldn’t feel like you were loved, you'd feel like you were being replaced. When I was younger, I used to have nightmares about my mom having another child. Nothing fantastic would happen in the dream, it would just be that my mom had another baby and suddenly I was displaced. It also didn't help that I had an older sister who was incredibly mean to me (and still is) and I worried that I would have another cruel sibling in the house.

It is really hard for kids to get used to the idea of having a sibling, especially if they are only children. You are probably thrilled at the new addition to your family. I'm guessing that she isn't. I'm also going to assume that your husband is not your daughter's father and that you remarried somewhat recently, based on the fact that your daughter is seventeen and you're having a new baby. She is probably hurt that you are making a new family with your new husband and she doesn't feel like she's going to be a part of it. She doesn’t feel like she fits into the equation: there's going to be a mommy, a daddy, a baby, and then a girl who only has half a connection to everyone but you.

I also find it hard to believe that she just walked into the room and hurled this insult at you. My guess is you were probably having an argument of some sort, and it was probably about something to do with the baby (maybe she wanted to go out one day, but you wanted her to stay for a baby shower or something like that). I'm not trying to say that you were automatically in the wrong in this argument, but she might have felt attacked for no reason and lashed out by saying that she wished your baby was dead. She probably doesn't actually wish your baby was dead, but she might wish it had never been conceived. Like I said, many children have a hard time coming to terms with the fact that they are going to have a sibling, and the fact that she's 17 instead of 7 won't change her feelings about it.

Here are some things I would recommend you do, from the perspective of someone who was recently a teen who would have hated having a new sibling:

Sit down with her and have a talk about what she said. Tell her that it really hurt your feelings and ask her why she felt the need to say it. ask her about her honest feelings about the new baby. Listen. Don't interrupt her, don't correct her, just hear her out. If you can, don't start crying, no matter if she says she hates you, your husband, or especially if she says she hates the new baby. That will seem like emotional blackmail, and it's really not fair to try to bury her completely legitimate feelings in your tears.

Assure her that while you may love this new baby the same as her, you will never love it more than her. It doesmy matter that you love and are married to this baby's father and you don't love her father, you love your children equally. Tell her how great it is that you have a teenaged child who you can talk to as an equal, and how this new child will not change your relationship.

This is a really important one, at least to me. DO NOT MAKE YOUR DAUGHTER YOUR DE FACTO CHILDCARE. Do not force her to watch your new baby on date night. Do not make her change the baby when you need a hand. Do not make her feed baby when you are tired. She is not your personal nanny. She did not choose to have a baby, you did, and she should not have to take any responsibility for it. Try to give your daughter a bedroom that's far away from the baby's so she doesn't have to wake up when the baby does (I know that might not be possible, but if it is, please do it). If you make this baby change your daughter's life in a negative way, she will resent it and you. She's 17, she doesn't have to put up with this for very long, and if she really feels angry about this new baby, odds are, she won't come back and visit as often as you would like or develop a positive relationship with her sibling.

That said, she may want to hang out with the baby by holding it, feeding it, or playing with it (the enjoyable parts of having a baby). Let her do this without telling her that she also has to the bad parts of having a baby. Like I said, you chose to have a baby, she did not choose to have a sibling. She is 17 years old; she's probably not going to be a real sister to that baby. She's probably going to move out in a year or so and go to college or start a career, and she certainly isn't going to grow up with the baby. Ler her be more like the cool aunt, where she does all the fun things with the new baby without having any real "responsibility" for it. Let her enjoy being a big sister instead of resenting it.

Try not to change her schedule. In fact, give her more freedom. Let her choose what she wants to do after school. Don't force her to go and do things with the baby or for your pregnancy. Don't make her drive to the store and get you some pickles for your cravings, don't make her be there for the baby shower if she doesn't want to, and don't make her be there at the hospital or in the delivery room when you have the baby. It may make you sad not to have her there, but you'll be sadder if she ends up hating that baby.

Above all, don't let her harsh words get to you. I doubt she actually thinks you are a slut or wants the baby dead. More likely than not, she's acting out because you had an argument or because she feels unloved or displaced by the new baby. I know it might be hard to hear since you were the one who was wronged in this situation, but as the parent, you need to treat her with love and compassion instead of anger and punishment. It is perfectly normal for teens to say things like "I hate you" to their parents, and what she said is just an extension of that. I'm sorry you had to hear your daughter say that when you are probably already emotional from your pregnancy, but don't take it to heart. Talk with her and treat her with love and respect. Don't let her feel less loved because of this new baby. I hope this helps!

Source: https://www.quora.com/My-17-year-old-daughter-said-something-horrible-to-me-should-I-punish-her

Neteller here: www..com.ng

1 Like

Re: My 17 Year Old Daughter Challenged My Authority Over Her, Should I Beat Her? by naijafox(m): 1:28am On May 15, 2016
She don dey collect pipe
Re: My 17 Year Old Daughter Challenged My Authority Over Her, Should I Beat Her? by Cholls(m): 2:05am On May 15, 2016
naijafox:
She don dey collect pipe
grin
Re: My 17 Year Old Daughter Challenged My Authority Over Her, Should I Beat Her? by krak101(m): 8:04am On May 15, 2016
Trust me yall. This can only happen in the US of Abomination not in Africa cause our folks never disappoint us anytime our default mode needs resetting grin. Proudly African

1 Like

Re: My 17 Year Old Daughter Challenged My Authority Over Her, Should I Beat Her? by krak101(m): 8:05am On May 15, 2016
naijafox:
She don dey collect pipe
then she needs koboko to reset her default mode
Re: My 17 Year Old Daughter Challenged My Authority Over Her, Should I Beat Her? by Dyt(f): 8:31am On May 15, 2016
Scratches head
Re: My 17 Year Old Daughter Challenged My Authority Over Her, Should I Beat Her? by firstolalekan(m): 12:59pm On May 15, 2016
ItuExchange:
My 17 year old daughter said something horrible to me, should I punish her?

I'M 20 WEEKS PREGNANT AND MY DAUGHTER SAID SOMETHING SO HORRIBLE. SHE SAID IT IN FRONT ME AND MY HUSBAND! SHE YELLED AT ME AND SAID "I HOPE THE BABY DIES! YOUR JUST A SLUT WHO GOT KNOCKED UP!" I'M VERY SHOCKED WHAT SHOULD I DO? MY HUSBAND IS UPSET OVER THIS BUT WE DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO.

As someone who was only just recently a teenager, I can tell you that punishing your daughter as one commenter suggested will not help. While I can't imagine calling my mother a slut or wishing death on her baby if she had been pregnant, I can imagine feeling what your daughter is most likely feeling. I'm going to assume that your daughter is an only child for now, and your pregnancy probably hurts her feelings. Think about this: one day, your husband comes to you and says, "Darling, you are the best wife I could ever hope for. I love you so much that I've decided to get a second wife." You would be hurt and angry. You wouldn’t feel like you were loved, you'd feel like you were being replaced. When I was younger, I used to have nightmares about my mom having another child. Nothing fantastic would happen in the dream, it would just be that my mom had another baby and suddenly I was displaced. It also didn't help that I had an older sister who was incredibly mean to me (and still is) and I worried that I would have another cruel sibling in the house.

It is really hard for kids to get used to the idea of having a sibling, especially if they are only children. You are probably thrilled at the new addition to your family. I'm guessing that she isn't. I'm also going to assume that your husband is not your daughter's father and that you remarried somewhat recently, based on the fact that your daughter is seventeen and you're having a new baby. She is probably hurt that you are making a new family with your new husband and she doesn't feel like she's going to be a part of it. She doesn’t feel like she fits into the equation: there's going to be a mommy, a daddy, a baby, and then a girl who only has half a connection to everyone but you.

I also find it hard to believe that she just walked into the room and hurled this insult at you. My guess is you were probably having an argument of some sort, and it was probably about something to do with the baby (maybe she wanted to go out one day, but you wanted her to stay for a baby shower or something like that). I'm not trying to say that you were automatically in the wrong in this argument, but she might have felt attacked for no reason and lashed out by saying that she wished your baby was dead. She probably doesn't actually wish your baby was dead, but she might wish it had never been conceived. Like I said, many children have a hard time coming to terms with the fact that they are going to have a sibling, and the fact that she's 17 instead of 7 won't change her feelings about it.

Here are some things I would recommend you do, from the perspective of someone who was recently a teen who would have hated having a new sibling:

Sit down with her and have a talk about what she said. Tell her that it really hurt your feelings and ask her why she felt the need to say it. ask her about her honest feelings about the new baby. Listen. Don't interrupt her, don't correct her, just hear her out. If you can, don't start crying, no matter if she says she hates you, your husband, or especially if she says she hates the new baby. That will seem like emotional blackmail, and it's really not fair to try to bury her completely legitimate feelings in your tears.

Assure her that while you may love this new baby the same as her, you will never love it more than her. It doesmy matter that you love and are married to this baby's father and you don't love her father, you love your children equally. Tell her how great it is that you have a teenaged child who you can talk to as an equal, and how this new child will not change your relationship.

This is a really important one, at least to me. DO NOT MAKE YOUR DAUGHTER YOUR DE FACTO CHILDCARE. Do not force her to watch your new baby on date night. Do not make her change the baby when you need a hand. Do not make her feed baby when you are tired. She is not your personal nanny. She did not choose to have a baby, you did, and she should not have to take any responsibility for it. Try to give your daughter a bedroom that's far away from the baby's so she doesn't have to wake up when the baby does (I know that might not be possible, but if it is, please do it). If you make this baby change your daughter's life in a negative way, she will resent it and you. She's 17, she doesn't have to put up with this for very long, and if she really feels angry about this new baby, odds are, she won't come back and visit as often as you would like or develop a positive relationship with her sibling.

That said, she may want to hang out with the baby by holding it, feeding it, or playing with it (the enjoyable parts of having a baby). Let her do this without telling her that she also has to the bad parts of having a baby. Like I said, you chose to have a baby, she did not choose to have a sibling. She is 17 years old; she's probably not going to be a real sister to that baby. She's probably going to move out in a year or so and go to college or start a career, and she certainly isn't going to grow up with the baby. Ler her be more like the cool aunt, where she does all the fun things with the new baby without having any real "responsibility" for it. Let her enjoy being a big sister instead of resenting it.

Try not to change her schedule. In fact, give her more freedom. Let her choose what she wants to do after school. Don't force her to go and do things with the baby or for your pregnancy. Don't make her drive to the store and get you some pickles for your cravings, don't make her be there for the baby shower if she doesn't want to, and don't make her be there at the hospital or in the delivery room when you have the baby. It may make you sad not to have her there, but you'll be sadder if she ends up hating that baby.

Above all, don't let her harsh words get to you. I doubt she actually thinks you are a slut or wants the baby dead. More likely than not, she's acting out because you had an argument or because she feels unloved or displaced by the new baby. I know it might be hard to hear since you were the one who was wronged in this situation, but as the parent, you need to treat her with love and compassion instead of anger and punishment. It is perfectly normal for teens to say things like "I hate you" to their parents, and what she said is just an extension of that. I'm sorry you had to hear your daughter say that when you are probably already emotional from your pregnancy, but don't take it to heart. Talk with her and treat her with love and respect. Don't let her feel less loved because of this new baby. I hope this helps!

Source: https://www.quora.com/My-17-year-old-daughter-said-something-horrible-to-me-should-I-punish-her

Neteller here: www..com.ng
Let her know your importance and she'll respect you.
Cut all her allowance...
Thank me later

1 Like

Re: My 17 Year Old Daughter Challenged My Authority Over Her, Should I Beat Her? by Nobody: 2:10pm On May 15, 2016
Before a 17-year-old behaves like this, a lot must had gone wrong.

I can't offer any advise based on the little we know about your daughter and what led to her hostility towards her mother and her unborn sibling.
Re: My 17 Year Old Daughter Challenged My Authority Over Her, Should I Beat Her? by Kiish(m): 2:23pm On May 15, 2016
pikin go collect severe beating... what nonsense? some children need lead pipe angry angry angry
Re: My 17 Year Old Daughter Challenged My Authority Over Her, Should I Beat Her? by bebe2(f): 6:37pm On May 15, 2016
sounds very painful,

but this didnt start now. am sure the girl has had issues for a long time.

whatever u do, dont lay ur hands on her ooo.

if u try it, they will take the 17yr old and the baby from u. ( ASSUMING U LIVE IN THE WEST)

just keep talking to her, if all fails kick her out wen she is 18. she will learn manners wen she becomes homeless.
Re: My 17 Year Old Daughter Challenged My Authority Over Her, Should I Beat Her? by Nobody: 7:22pm On May 15, 2016
Is the ladies husband the girls father?
It could be that something has gone wrong somewhere
What she said was despicable but I believe that there is more to the story
Its not something a well balanced teenager in a happy home and in a good mental place utters.

(1) (Reply)

Can Someone Attend A Football Academy And Still Attend A University. / My Wife Loves To Fight Naked All The Time – Husband Reveals / If You Were Told To Pick One, What Would It Be?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.