Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,910 members, 7,835,045 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:09 AM

WARNING: Exactly 27yrs Ago When NANS Lost 150 Students In Riot Against Ibb's SAP - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / WARNING: Exactly 27yrs Ago When NANS Lost 150 Students In Riot Against Ibb's SAP (2622 Views)

Riot Ongoing In Makurdi, Benue State (Photos) / Nnamdi Kanu: 419 Okorocha Belongs To IBB Gay Cult; Killed White Man, Dad Hausa / Saraki, Politicians Queue To Shake Goodluck Jonathan At IBB's Daughter's Wedding (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

WARNING: Exactly 27yrs Ago When NANS Lost 150 Students In Riot Against Ibb's SAP by Freegift75: 11:05pm On May 15, 2016
-------------------A WORD FOR THE WISE---------------------

It's exactly 27yrs ago, May 1989 when NANS declared total war against SAP programme of Gen Ibrahim Babangida. I was in Form 3 in Secondary School, MOLUSI COLLEGE (Only The Best) Ijebu Igbo, when Ogun State University Students on riot patrolled to our school and flushed all of us out to join the riot. We proceeded to Police Station at Atikori, Opposite then Afri Bank to face the Police. One thing I could remember vividly was that we eventually burnt the station but three students lost their lives while several injured.

This is another MAY EDITION of 2016 and NANS has declared total showdown as well. 27yrs Ago, over 150 students lost their lives nationwide.

Please Nigerian Students, if you as a result of Foolishness die today, Nigeria will move on. BE WISE - Shun RIOT

READ DETAIL REPORTS BELOW

www.refworld.org/docid/3ae6ad8d14.html
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Student demonstrations and unrest on campuses
around the country at the end of May 1989 resulted in the burning of some government vehicles and the
ransacking of government offices. [ "Student riots
against SAP", West Africa , London: West Africa
Publishing Company Ltd., 5-11 June 1989, p.937.]
---------------------------------------------------------------------
The May demonstrations across the country, known as the anti-SAP (Structural Adjustment Program) riots, included students, non-students, workers, the
unemployed and school children. [Report on Human
Rights in Nigeria, Lagos: Civil Liberties Organization,
1989, p.9.]
An article [ "Student riots against SAP".] also reported that the students freed 600 prisoners and set the Benin prison on fire. The same article states that a
student was reportedly killed during demonstrations on 29 May 1989 at the University of Ibadan, Oyo State.
Another incident at the University of Nigeria occurred when students reportedly demonstrated after one of their colleagues had allegedly been shot and wounded.

Several students were reported to have been
arrested following demonstrations at the various
universities.

The official statistics on the riots were released by the government and published in the 26 June-2 July 1989 issue of the weekly newsmagazine West Africa. This source states that 22 lives had been lost during the riots, although it does not specify if and how many of the victims were students involved in the student demonstrations. ["Official statistics on riots", West Africa , London: West Africa Publishing Company Ltd., 26 June-2 July 1989, p.1065.]
However, according to Africa South of the Sahara 1990 , over 50 people had been killed in Lagos and 13 universities closed by the beginning of June 1989. [ Africa South of the Sahara 1990, Nineteenth Edition, London: Europa Publications Ltd., 1990, p.774.]
The magazine West Africa (21-27 August 1989)
reports that thirty rioters have been charged in
connection with last May's disturbances, in a Benin
court. The October 1989 issue of the West Africa
periodical states that 26 students detained for allegedly taking part in the violent anti-SAP (Structural Adjustment Program) demonstrations have been released unconditionally. It is not known which students were among this group, as there were anti-SAP demonstrations in several other universities around the country. ["Student Riots Against SAP" West Africa, (London: West Africa Publishing Company Ltd., 5-11 June 1989), p.937.]

2 Likes 4 Shares

Re: WARNING: Exactly 27yrs Ago When NANS Lost 150 Students In Riot Against Ibb's SAP by alizma: 11:22pm On May 15, 2016
those who have ears let them hear.
Re: WARNING: Exactly 27yrs Ago When NANS Lost 150 Students In Riot Against Ibb's SAP by Freegift75: 11:32pm On May 15, 2016
www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Structural_Adjustment/GlobalResist_StrucAdjust.html

ZARIA
May 1986
About twenty students and bystanders at
Ahmadu Bello University (ABU) in Zaria were
massacred by security forces after staging
peaceful protests over impending
introduction of SAPs.

BENIN
They at first embarked on a peaceful protest
round some Benin streets and later in the day,
they were granted audience by the state military
governor, Colonel Tunde Ogbeha, who, when
shown copies of the handbills, tried his best to
repudiate allegations contained in them. But the
next day, the protest turned violent, claiming no
fewer than six lives. Among the dead were a
policeman allegedly lynched by the rioters and a
15-year-old boy who was shot at close range by
riot policemen at the New Benin Market area.
After the dust settled on the hullabaloo, about 15
persons were placed on danger list at the
University of Benin Teaching Hospital.

LAGOS/IBADAN
So, by 4am on Wednesday, May 30, the UNILAG
students, as in the days of the locust, trooped out
of their Akoka campus, marching through Abule
Oja to Moore Road before connecting Yaba
College of Technology where they mobilised
fellow students in the country’s premier
technology institution. From YABATECH, the
assemblage of angry students broke into groups
and headed for various parts of Lagos to execute
a mass action and make the city ungovernable.

The platoons of rioters at their various beats in
Lagos went into primary and secondary schools
and conscripted pupils and students respectively,
to participate in the protest. Woe betides any
school head or teacher that tried to stop them.
This action sent panic into parents, who ran
helter-skelter in the streets, in search of their
children.

The rioters who had by now been joined by other
youths and street urchins otherwise known as
‘area boys’, barricaded major roads and made
bonfires which billowed into the sky in a joint,
thick haze of fume. This naturally paralysed all
commercial activities, as commercial motorists
also withdrew their services. Public workers,
artisans, traders and others had tales of woe to
tell as they trekked long distances amid fear of
possible attack.

The rioters who chanted various slogans and war
songs which included Babangida Must Go!, SAP
Must Go!, apart from making bonfires, also set
fire on official buildings and vehicles that
belonged to government or those not in solidarity
with the riot. To show solidarity, everyone in the
street had to hoist leaves or have them tacked to
their vehicle’s bonnet. The Lagos-Ibadan
expressway which linked Lagos, Nigeria’s
commercial nerve-centre with other parts of the
country was barricaded thus causing untold
hardship to travellers many who trekked long
distances. Others simply broke down.

Riot police though initially caught off-guard at the
effective mobilisation and execution of the riot,
later buckled up as they reinforced from their
various divisions and units, meeting the rioters
‘fire for fire’. At best, the rioters were armed with
sticks, clubs, knives, cutlasses and cudgels. In
isolated cases, some came out with dane guns.
But the police responded first by shooting
canisters of teargas but gravitated to the use of
guns with rubber bullets. But as the riot
intensified in severity, they began to shoot live
bullets at the protesters, resulting in many
casualties. When the dust cleared, no fewer than
10 civilians were killed while over 700 others
were seriously injured.

As Lagos was ‘burning’, a similar scenario was
taking place in Ibadan, Oyo State. Though the
poor economic condition in the country ascribed
to the SAP policy and the revelations in the
handbills also influenced the students of the
University of Ibadan (UI), it was learnt that a local
factor was a remote cause. On May 23, there was
a students’ parliamentary meeting which was
disrupted when a teargas canister was shot into
the gathering. The meeting ended abruptly as
everyone ran for dear life, to the anger of its
conveners. Before the disruption, the students
had gathered to discuss a case of one Mike Uyi,
said to have been a student in the faculty of
education for 10 years. The students said Uyi was
an agent of State Security Service (SSS) and called
for his expulsion.

The students said Uyi must have been the brain
behind the disruption of their meeting. The
alleged SSS agent was the national president of
Students Peace Movement of Nigeria and also, the
leader of another group known as Peace
Commando. The students marched to Uyi’s room
at Sultan Bello Hall, packed out his property and
set them ablaze. Hours after the incident, the
students’ affairs officer of the university wrote a
query to the students union, on the burning of
Uyi’s property.

Swiftly, the union replied the query, giving the
authorities a 72-hour ultimatum to expel Uyi or
face dire consequences. While the ding-dong
continued, on Sunday, May 28, the students met
with the state governor, Colonel Sasaenia
Oresanya, demanding among other things, the
expulsion of Uyi, the scrapping of SAP and that
government must subsidise education. The
students alleged that Uyi was actually a police
officer and that his real name was Harrison
Ugbile.

So, from the next day, the students declared
indefinite lecture boycott and as early as 6am
same day, the union leaders had mobilised them
for mass protest. But the protesters were repelled
by policemen who fired teargas canister.

However, some of the students detoured and
launched out through the Ibadan Polytechnic exit
and poured into the streets. They were joined by
thousands of others who included hoodlums and
butchers.

Though there was disputation on the Ibadan
casualty figure, it was widely reported that two
students of Loyola College, Ibadan, were killed.
One basic factor in the riots which also occurred
in many other parts of the country by students in
higher institutions was that the students’ main
umbrella body, the National Association of
Nigerian Students (NANS) had given a May 29
ultimatum to the Federal Government to scrap
the SAP. The expiry of the ultimatum snubbed by
the government apparently engendered a
nationwide mass upsurge of riots on the
campuses. Though this was without prejudice to
other local factors.

www.nationalmirroronline.net/new/anti-sap-students-riots-that-shook-ibb-government/
Re: WARNING: Exactly 27yrs Ago When NANS Lost 150 Students In Riot Against Ibb's SAP by Nobody: 11:34pm On May 15, 2016
Noted
Re: WARNING: Exactly 27yrs Ago When NANS Lost 150 Students In Riot Against Ibb's SAP by Luckylife(m): 11:39pm On May 15, 2016
Op it seen you can't differentiate between military and democracy. Gone are the days where incompetent clowns will hold the citizens to ransom. Maybe you prefer dying in silent like zombies.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: WARNING: Exactly 27yrs Ago When NANS Lost 150 Students In Riot Against Ibb's SAP by bishopkay: 11:40pm On May 15, 2016
Oga...cowards are those who keep shut in the face of tyranny.

If Nelson Mandela had kept quiet for fear of his skin, he would have died an ordinary man. Many other examples abound.

It's is just unfortunate Nigeria doesn't care about the backs that have been broken for this country to stand. But I take solace in a line of the national anthem..." The labour of our heroes past shall never be in vain ".

If I will die for something RIGHT and JUST I believe in, then I shall gladly go to God having the satisfaction of having fought a good fight while on earth and whoever cries for me does so in ignorance...Not everyone is destined to grow old.

Have countless battles and tales of death therein stopped people from joining the armed forces around the world There will always be a sacrifice to pay for the very freedom we enjoy in as much as stale insensitive tyrants walk the earth.

ALUTA CONTINUA...VICTORIA ARCERTA!!!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: WARNING: Exactly 27yrs Ago When NANS Lost 150 Students In Riot Against Ibb's SAP by Jirate(m): 11:42pm On May 15, 2016
Not Every One is Afraid to Die for What They Believe.
On a more Serious Note, Are You in any way Suggesting that Buhari, A Civilian President Will Open Fire on Peaceful Demonstrator, How many APC Demonstrators were Killed in 2012 under GEJ?

1 Like

Re: WARNING: Exactly 27yrs Ago When NANS Lost 150 Students In Riot Against Ibb's SAP by Tolexander: 11:45pm On May 15, 2016
Jirate:
Not Every One is Afraid to Die for What They Believe.
On a more Serious Note, Are You in any way Suggesting that Buhari, A Civilian President Will Open Fire on Peaceful Demonstrator, How many APC Demonstrators did GEJ Killed in 2012?
There was no APC in 2012!
Re: WARNING: Exactly 27yrs Ago When NANS Lost 150 Students In Riot Against Ibb's SAP by Jirate(m): 11:55pm On May 15, 2016
Tolexander:
There was no APC in 2012!

Look at APC Boys Demonstrating Against the Fuel Hike then.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: WARNING: Exactly 27yrs Ago When NANS Lost 150 Students In Riot Against Ibb's SAP by incomintop: 12:01am On May 16, 2016
Story Nigerians are dead already the threat of 150 people that died 27 years is as useless as the price increase itself

1 Like

Re: WARNING: Exactly 27yrs Ago When NANS Lost 150 Students In Riot Against Ibb's SAP by nawtyme: 3:03am On May 16, 2016
Criminals everywhere. These people are paid to open posts everywhere on Facebook and Nairaland and every other social media. But you forget one thing. The money will get finished one day and you will be left alone with your conscience.
When the subsidy was removed in 2012, there were palliatives on ground to cushion the effect of the increment. Salaries were increased for Corp members, transport schemes were initiated, health centres were built and the government then gave reasons why it should be done with a human face. But today the same thing is done and whoever does not agree is threatened with death as the op is stating here.
Few years ago, the French protested heavily against increment of retirement age.
The Same French are still in protest today against some labour reforms which they do not find favourable.
And what do we have in Nigeria, a beast with no conscience opening a thread with threat of death as a reminder for those who want to join the protest.

If in my next life I hear Nigeria in the womb, I will choke mmyself with umbilical cord I swear.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: WARNING: Exactly 27yrs Ago When NANS Lost 150 Students In Riot Against Ibb's SAP by ministeriallist: 3:52am On May 16, 2016
Op, how much were you paid? I can see you're still living in the past.

Well, I believe peaceful negotiation with Govt is the best option.
Re: WARNING: Exactly 27yrs Ago When NANS Lost 150 Students In Riot Against Ibb's SAP by goldenceo1: 6:49am On May 16, 2016
The thought of me standing before military men in the name of protest can kill my parents.

Who NANS help? I remember vivdly during my undergraduate days wen a road side park opposite the school gate unjust fully increased their fees. I protested in the name of aluta that no student is boarding that bus unless they decrease the price the price to the usual amount. Omo na so does student look me begin pay oh. I ended up been a scape goat as I didn't board the bus. Since then have learnt my lesson.
Re: WARNING: Exactly 27yrs Ago When NANS Lost 150 Students In Riot Against Ibb's SAP by DaBullIT(m): 7:32am On May 16, 2016
I just forgot the evil comment i wanted to write

Ffffuckkkkkkkk
Re: WARNING: Exactly 27yrs Ago When NANS Lost 150 Students In Riot Against Ibb's SAP by makazona(m): 7:33am On May 16, 2016
Demonstrations are just part of Democracy. Its not same with Military Government.

Death comes to people even when they avoid it.

The op posted this not as a patriot but for d gains- of course, these are difficult times.

If I want to protest, nothing will stop me. Not even a cowardly post will.
Re: WARNING: Exactly 27yrs Ago When NANS Lost 150 Students In Riot Against Ibb's SAP by FagsamPHP(m): 7:58am On May 16, 2016
k
Re: WARNING: Exactly 27yrs Ago When NANS Lost 150 Students In Riot Against Ibb's SAP by ebiboy2(m): 8:05am On May 16, 2016
OP how much have you been paid? just be honest. I won't tell anybody.
Re: WARNING: Exactly 27yrs Ago When NANS Lost 150 Students In Riot Against Ibb's SAP by ebiboy2(m): 8:13am On May 16, 2016
the fact that you can't fight for your right or fight to preserve posterity as I should rather say does not mean everyone should tow your path.
today in America, blacks are enjoying the "little" freedom they have now cos someone paid for it with his life.
by the way are you ignorant of the fact that the general then was more of a tyrant?

what are you even saying?
please manage the small money APC has given to you curtsey of the liar himself (Lie Mohammad) and stop all these bullshit writeup.

don't you deter those who are determined to take their destinies into their hands by this concocted writeup devoid of common sense and reasoning.

let us die now. you self will die too later.
Re: WARNING: Exactly 27yrs Ago When NANS Lost 150 Students In Riot Against Ibb's SAP by Branzy(m): 8:31am On May 16, 2016
op do you think you can intimidate the ever conscious Nigerian student with this thrash

(1) (Reply)

Fayose Joins Workers During Protest Of Unpaid Salaries In Ekiti This Morning / Why The Feud Between Yorubas And Igbos / Okonjo Iweala Beats Liberian President As Africas Most Powerful Woman: Forbes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.