Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,924 members, 7,817,708 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:40 PM

PMS Price Hike: FG, Labour Meet Today To Avert Strike - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / PMS Price Hike: FG, Labour Meet Today To Avert Strike (1621 Views)

Rita Maduagwu, Anambra Speaker Absconds With Mace To Avert Impeachment / Southwest Governors Meet Today On Economy / PMS Price Hike: Labour, FG Talks Deadlocked (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

PMS Price Hike: FG, Labour Meet Today To Avert Strike by ritababe(f): 12:57am On May 16, 2016
ABUJA—IN a desperate move to avert a nationwide strike by organised labour and its civil society allies over the N145 per litre new pump price of petrol, the Federal Government has invited labour leaders in the country for a meeting today.
House of Representatives will also, today, hold a special plenary and take a position on the recent increase in price of petrol.

However, leaders of the Nigeria Labour Congress, NLC, their counterparts in Trade Union Congress of Nigeria, TUC, and civil society allies had on Saturday, given government up till midnight tomorrow to reverse the pump price to the pre-Wednesday, May 11 rate of N86.50 or face a nationwide strike and street protests.
Vanguard gathered that the meeting will take place 10 am today at the office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation.
According to a source, the meeting will involve stakeholders, including leaders of NLC, TUC, Nigeria Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers, NUPENG, and their Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria, PENGASSAN counterpart.
This came as NLC faction, led by Joe Ajaero, said it would today and tomorrow meet with civil society groups, market women, informal workers' groups and other Nigerians to fine-tune strategies on how to shut critical sectors of the economy should government fail to meet its demands.
He called on the Federal Government to reverse the N145 pump price hike and convoke a meeting of all relevant stakeholders before end of the Tuesday deadline to determine appropriate price of petrol or risk nationwide strike and mass action.
Ajaero, contended that what the government had done was simply to hike price to get more money without considering its overall implications on the masses of the country who were already struggling to survive in the midst of high cost of living.
According to him, government is not concerned about how to ensure that 100 per cent of the products were sourced locally, and faulted the blanket approval given to everyone interested in importation of petrol to go ahead and import.
He noted that it was a shame that, Nigeria, as a major producer of crude should be talking of importation and not how to revamp the existing refineries and build new ones to meet not only local demands but also for export.
He said: “The Congress, therefore, decided that we reject this unholy hike in the price of petrol and shall take active steps to ensure that whatsoever philosophy or idea that must have propelled it is erased in the process.
"We shall also ensure that this government removes all bottlenecks that make supply of the product to the citizenry difficult. To this end, we resolve that the federal government reverses its illegal decision to hike the pump price of PMS to N145/litre between now and Tuesday midnight.
“A Joint Action Committee to fine-tune the strategies and actions for this struggle has been set-up for a mass action.”
Meanwhile, leaders of the nation’s oil workers have said a nationwide strike was not the immediate solution to last Wednesday’s hike in the pump price of petrol.

more here
www.vanguardngr.com/2016/05/641016/

lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: PMS Price Hike: FG, Labour Meet Today To Avert Strike by bishopkay: 1:27am On May 16, 2016
let's see the outcome!!
Re: PMS Price Hike: FG, Labour Meet Today To Avert Strike by Businessideas: 1:32am On May 16, 2016
Another charade has started.House of representatives and labor should not give us another Farouk/Emenalo/Otedola saga o
Re: PMS Price Hike: FG, Labour Meet Today To Avert Strike by donktrax(m): 1:56am On May 16, 2016
Stories....nothing will happen. The pple dnt trust Nlc

1 Like

Re: PMS Price Hike: FG, Labour Meet Today To Avert Strike by omowolewa: 2:27am On May 16, 2016
Collect bribe at your own peril, because it shall be used gainst you by EFCC when the dust settles.

1 Like

Re: PMS Price Hike: FG, Labour Meet Today To Avert Strike by jhydebaba(m): 2:40am On May 16, 2016
Many are not on the NLC's side this time around so it is an exercise in futility. Let us just face it once and for all.

In fact, who NLC strike don epp

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: PMS Price Hike: FG, Labour Meet Today To Avert Strike by ORACLE1975(m): 2:57am On May 16, 2016
grin
Re: PMS Price Hike: FG, Labour Meet Today To Avert Strike by Abeymills(m): 4:12am On May 16, 2016
Yeye govt govt of lies n probaganda evil govt

1 Like

Re: PMS Price Hike: FG, Labour Meet Today To Avert Strike by greatgod2012(f): 4:39am On May 16, 2016
I'm patiently waiting for the outcome.
I just hope NLC will not be bought of over. I just hope NLC will not betray the workers. I just hope NLC will not be after their pockets only. I just hope NLC will say out the actual minds of it's members. I just hope and hope. May this hope not be shattered.
Re: PMS Price Hike: FG, Labour Meet Today To Avert Strike by Nobody: 4:44am On May 16, 2016
GOD BLESS NIGERIA
Re: PMS Price Hike: FG, Labour Meet Today To Avert Strike by henrygale(m): 5:07am On May 16, 2016
People has lost hope in NLC.
If even there will be any strike on Wednesday, people will do it just to save demselves from spending scarce funds to go work without being paid for several months and not for one NLC!

1 Like

Re: PMS Price Hike: FG, Labour Meet Today To Avert Strike by hardbody: 6:07am On May 16, 2016
I already know the outcome. Same outcome. NLC collects money on the midnight of the supposed strike and then announces a call off following N2 reduction in the new price. The circle starts all over again. We can't get positive results until we the masses take our destiny in our handss

1 Like

Re: PMS Price Hike: FG, Labour Meet Today To Avert Strike by pendusky(m): 6:12am On May 16, 2016
I was thinking they will give deaf ear to NLC.
Re: PMS Price Hike: FG, Labour Meet Today To Avert Strike by Pidggin(f): 6:16am On May 16, 2016
NLC is truly unserious, if they had any guts the strike should have started today instead they fixed it on Wednesday, hehehehe grin
Re: PMS Price Hike: FG, Labour Meet Today To Avert Strike by omenka(m): 6:20am On May 16, 2016
Bad news for the enemies of Nigeria.

Whatever it is, that strike was already dead even before it was born. The conditions today bear absolute contrast to what they were in 2012, hence the kind of reaction the call was/is being greeted with.

It is well with my country.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: PMS Price Hike: FG, Labour Meet Today To Avert Strike by olatade(m): 6:27am On May 16, 2016
cool

3 Likes

Re: PMS Price Hike: FG, Labour Meet Today To Avert Strike by omowolewa: 6:29am On May 16, 2016
Oky
Re: PMS Price Hike: FG, Labour Meet Today To Avert Strike by tuoyoojo(m): 6:33am On May 16, 2016
I have seen this script play out one too many a time

government begs them not to go on strike

they arrive at an impasse and NLC proceed to STRIKE

the strike doesn't achieve much

there is a backdoor meeting btw both sides

Ghana must go exchange hands

an announcement is made to either give the government some time to make things beta or the government removes 1 naira n sells at 144

either way, we are f**ked

inflation would still rise

the suffering would still continue

"the government is not the solution, the government is the problem"
Re: PMS Price Hike: FG, Labour Meet Today To Avert Strike by moshmusth(m): 6:36am On May 16, 2016
Strike or no strike.. emperor/sir/ General buhari ill not shift ground so no point in fighting lost battle

1 Like

Re: PMS Price Hike: FG, Labour Meet Today To Avert Strike by Nobody: 6:37am On May 16, 2016
Insanity is when you do the same thing over again expecting different results. We have gone down the road of this non removal of subsidy it never reduced the sufferings of Nigerians neither did it eliminate the fuel queues. NLC should not drag us back to 2011 and allow Nigerians to focus on crucial national issues. I didn't see the NLC at occupy nass trying to force law makers to reduce their jumbo pay. Even their various state chapters non of them could protest against the incessant refusal of state Governors to pay salaries. Toothless bull dogs!

1 Like

Re: PMS Price Hike: FG, Labour Meet Today To Avert Strike by TheNonce: 6:37am On May 16, 2016
wink

NLC and dry raking are like bread and butter! A winning combo! Abeg dey should just negotiate their settlement fee with the executive as usual and allow us to hear word!

No be only "strike"! Make thunder "strike" the 'balls and -punanis' of their leadership!

2 Likes

Re: PMS Price Hike: FG, Labour Meet Today To Avert Strike by Kx: 6:40am On May 16, 2016
It's been rumored that FG will dangle N45,000 minimum wage.

If that's true, I pity labour. If your members can't get their N18000 minimum wage across all d states when crude was over $100 is it N45k or N56k you ll get when crude with naija delta bombing lowered output is doing less than $40?

1 Like

Re: PMS Price Hike: FG, Labour Meet Today To Avert Strike by mrvitalis(m): 6:52am On May 16, 2016
The way some of this so called Nigerian leaders talk is suppressing
U want government to keep fuel at 86.50, in fact at 10 naira, u want all the roads fixed, u want good airports, u want government to build refineries and u want government to pay u 90000 a month as minimum wage..... OK that's good
At 18000 minimum wage labour takes over 60% of our budget so if we pay u, 90,000 the budget won't even be enough

There is no provision for subsidy in the budget so what do u want the president to do?
(think Buhari played a nice game here)
Labour leaders should know u can't give what u don't have
Re: PMS Price Hike: FG, Labour Meet Today To Avert Strike by rotile247(m): 7:11am On May 16, 2016
greatgod2012:
I'm patiently waiting for the outcome.

I just hope NLC will not be bought of over.
I just hope NLC will not betray the workers.
I just hope NLC will not be after their pockets only.
I just hope NLC will say out the actual minds of it's members.
I just hope and hope.
May this hope not be shattered.

Please do not hope on NLC because you will be disappointed.

They are only after what they can get into their pockets.

They should have called for this strike long before now demanding government fufill their campaigne promises.

Petrol should be less than N60, refineries should be working with new ones built. Monies from recovered loot should be used solely for this purpose execpt that the government is lying about the stolen and or recovered loot.

Monthly publication of stolen and recovered monies and how its spent should be published.
Re: PMS Price Hike: FG, Labour Meet Today To Avert Strike by rotile247(m): 7:20am On May 16, 2016
mrvitalis:
The way some of this so called Nigerian leaders talk is suppressing
U want government to keep fuel at 86.50, in fact at 10 naira, u want all the roads fixed, u want good airports, u want government to build refineries and u want government to pay u 90000 a month as minimum wage..... OK that's good
At 18000 minimum wage labour takes over 60% of our budget so if we pay u, 90,000 the budget won't even be enough

There is no provision for subsidy in the budget so what do u want the president to do?
(think Buhari played a nice game here)
Labour leaders should know u can't give what u don't have

That is why there is room for suplementary budget.

What happened to the recovered monies?
If there is no money for government why the continued extravagant spending by the National Assembly?

Remember there is astromical increase in power tarrif without light at all, 50 federal government stamp duties charge on banking transactions, the implementation of TSA. Government has enough resources to provide most esential infrastructure.
Re: PMS Price Hike: FG, Labour Meet Today To Avert Strike by Agimor(m): 7:21am On May 16, 2016
Lazy ass were already fashioning how they intend to spend the indefinite strike.

1 Like

Re: PMS Price Hike: FG, Labour Meet Today To Avert Strike by mrvitalis(m): 7:33am On May 16, 2016
rotile247:

That is why there is room for suplementary budget.

What happened to the recovered monies?
If there is no money for government why the continued extravagant spending by the National Assembly?

Remember there is astromical increase in power tarrif without light at all, 50 federal government stamp duties charge on banking transactions, the implementation of TSA. Government has enough resources to provide most esential infrastructure.
What is Nigerian current wage bill??
Multiple it by 12 then minus it from the money in the TSA tell me how much is left
Re: PMS Price Hike: FG, Labour Meet Today To Avert Strike by ritababe(f): 7:39am On May 16, 2016
henrygale:
People has lost hope in NLC.
If even there will be any strike on Wednesday, people will do it just to save demselves from spending scarce funds to go work without being paid for several months and not for one NLC!

lol
Re: PMS Price Hike: FG, Labour Meet Today To Avert Strike by crowbar(m): 9:39am On May 16, 2016
Re: PMS Price Hike: FG, Labour Meet Today To Avert Strike by ckmayoca: 10:57am On May 16, 2016
Pidggin:
NLC is truly unserious, if they had any guts the strike should have started today instead they fixed it on Wednesday, hehehehe grin

They gave room for negotiation

(1) (Reply)

History Of Corruption In Nigeria...a Must Read / HOT: Chief Justic Of Nigeria Berates Buhari In Face-to-face Meeting At Aso Rock / Lessons From VP Osibanjo's Visit To The SS And SE.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.