Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,753 members, 7,820,597 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:55 PM

Coping With Businesses That Involves Selling On Credit. Advice Needed - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Coping With Businesses That Involves Selling On Credit. Advice Needed (11461 Views)

3 Online Businesses That Makes You Profit From The First Month / 3 Online Businesses That Can Make You 1 Million In 6 Months / Dangote: Even If FG Wants To Sell NLNG On Credit, I Am Not Interested (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Coping With Businesses That Involves Selling On Credit. Advice Needed by Tiskified(m): 9:19am On May 17, 2016
As a Chartered Accountant abs SME advisor, I would recommend you extend credit whenever you can.

Extending credit helps you to sell at least 50% more than if you don't. But there is a downside. Selling on credit also exposes you to risk. The interesting thing though is that that risk can be controlled to a large extent because you’re the one who determines the credit terms.

So before you decide whether to extend credit and if so, how much, consider 5 important factors

Credit risk:
Simply put, how much are you willing to risk? Do you have the financial resources to support the transaction? What if the customer never pays at all, will it adversely affect your business?

Credit terms:
You must decide in advance how much credit you’re willing to extend and how long you can afford to wait for payment. The terms can vary all the way from 10-day terms to 90 days or more. To reduce your risk, you may (a) require a down payment.(b) only offer 100% credit to customers who have previously settled within the agreed period.

Credit qualification:
Before you offer credit, determine if the person is credit worthy. But how will you determine if a business/person is creditworthy? Ask questions around, investigate chances are the person has done business with others before you and they can provide a rough guide for you.

Credit policy:
Develop a credit policy that covers the entire process when extending credit to customers, from when you offer to how you will recover any owed sums. The more details you have the better for you

Credit review:
Always review the purchase levels of those you extend credit to. Are they good customers? Do they desire more credit, if so do they deserve it?

Finally an important point is to make sure you keep accurate documentation.

I'm sure you'll be successful.
Re: Coping With Businesses That Involves Selling On Credit. Advice Needed by Laveda(f): 9:32am On May 17, 2016
Sleekyshuga:

Companies do not pay up immediately. They will run a third party contract with her.

E for better if na only to price the goods cheesy.. We go haggle the price until you sef go fear grin..

grin grin grin
Mostly Igbo men lipsrsealed cry lipsrsealed
Re: Coping With Businesses That Involves Selling On Credit. Advice Needed by tete7000(m): 9:37am On May 17, 2016
tochman:

Thanks for the advice bro. We already rented a warehouse and we also plan on getting a truck for delivery. The thing is, buying on credit is a part of the flour business and I think I buy some of your ideas like having enough info about the customer and setting a credit limit. I think I'll try to work with that. Thanks again

It's my pleasure my brother. Actually giving credit won't really be a big deal if everyone can be honest and sincere. Myself and a friend are into similar kind of business. We opened a shop and sell pastas - indomie and the likes. It took sometimes before we understand the dynamics of the whole thing. We have actually lost some money before then, both from credit and direct stealing.
People would come, buy and pay. Overtime, they would ask for credit, initially small and gradually graduate into big amounts. They would initially be paying until one day when you have much money with them and then they default and start avoiding you. You run after them, threaten hail and brimstone but to be candid if someone can't pay you, they just can't pay you; there is nothing you can do. Some of the time you have those who do everything to ensure they remain in your good book while with time we just understood some have had the scheme of defaulting at a time from onset. Always remember that business is business and not some compassionate ventures. People will want to make you look like a heartless and mean person sometimes, don't give in to the blackmail. If you need to be firm, be firm. If you lose money only you will bear the pain.

We simply opened a shop near a market and don't have to distribute with truck but I know from experience of others that having a truck introduces another dimension to the whole equation - one of having to deal with dishonest drivers. Thus you might need to try and seek someone you can trust and who is meticulous enough to handle the truck. A reckless driver ruin the truck in no time, a lazy one will spend less time doing business while he finds some other avenue to spend time and a dishonest one turns the truck into some kind of atm machine. If you find an honest driver kindly keep him and treat him well, they are uncommon.
Doing business like every ventures is tough but with patience, resilience, watchfulness and prayer you can pull through. Best of luck.
Re: Coping With Businesses That Involves Selling On Credit. Advice Needed by tochman(m): 9:38am On May 17, 2016
myvision:
There are basic things that you can do to reduce your risk but you can't totally eradicate credit facilities in such business bro.
1. Always start small will your buyers. Try and start with half Bag if possible. Tell them they have to earn your trust before you can start to supply them more. The truth is that if you don't do this they will take your flour and spend your money on another thing. That is their way!

2. Offer a discount or bonus to loyal and faithful customers. Make sure you have a plan to encourage people who don't owe you for a week or a month or quarterly. Depending on what you felt it's right. But monthly, is found to work best in my opinion.

If you can implement these two suggestions properly; it will help reduce your risk greatly bro.

Best if luck

Thanks bro. Your suggestions will go a long way
Re: Coping With Businesses That Involves Selling On Credit. Advice Needed by tochman(m): 9:58am On May 17, 2016
henrico247:
My Nigerians are the worst people to do business with, they are full of fake promises, I have lost millions because of credit until a friend on mine advice me and made the statement to me and I quote." NO BUSINESS SURVIVES ON CREDIT" why not try distributing cement(like dangote cement).

The cement business was the first idea I had but the competition here is really crazy.
Re: Coping With Businesses That Involves Selling On Credit. Advice Needed by tochman(m): 10:03am On May 17, 2016
Aribambam:
you must sell on credit, have a strong credit policy, like old debt must be cleared before new issue. if they want 10 bags, give them 5 bags. extend credit according to the profit you have made from them. learn the business well, flour expires after 3 month

Thanks bro. The man in charge of the company's depo here gave me orientation about the business
Re: Coping With Businesses That Involves Selling On Credit. Advice Needed by sorepco(m): 10:09am On May 17, 2016
Y does your sis not go into retailing while u deal with debtors?? At least you have a foot in both spheres as well as gaing both experiences for the business.
.l

tochman:
Hey guys, since I graduated I haven't been able to secure a job. My sis on the other hand lost her job due to the current economic challenges facing the country.

The thing is, I and my sis are about to venture into flour distribution business. In short we have concluded arrangements with the company but our greatest challenge is what we realized during our market survey. We found out that the business has to do with supplying bags of flour to retailers on credit. I have never ever ever conducted any business that has to do with selling on credit.

Therefore, I am pleading with anyone who has an idea on how these things work, especially professionals, to give a word or two of advice on how best I can manage these creditors without them crashing my business. Thanks

P.s - I have been strongly advised to be careful of people I supply to. I heard that some even do juju that throws you to a state of oblivion
Re: Coping With Businesses That Involves Selling On Credit. Advice Needed by sorepco(m): 10:11am On May 17, 2016
tochman:
Hey guys, since I graduated I haven't been able to secure a job. My sis on the other hand lost her job due to the current economic challenges facing the country.

The thing is, I and my sis are about to venture into flour distribution business. In short we have concluded arrangements with the company but our greatest challenge is what we realized during our market survey. We found out that the business has to do with supplying bags of flour to retailers on credit. I have never ever ever conducted any business that has to do with selling on credit.

Therefore, I am pleading with anyone who has an idea on how these things work, especially professionals, to give a word or two of advice on how best I can manage these creditors without them crashing my business. Thanks

P.s - I have been strongly advised to be careful of people I supply to. I heard that some even do juju that throws you to a state of oblivion
Re: Coping With Businesses That Involves Selling On Credit. Advice Needed by sorepco(m): 10:17am On May 17, 2016
Y do nigerians keep teferring to debtors as creditors?? If so then what do you call sum1 you owe money to??

LesbianBoy:
OP if there is one thing i hate nigerians for is, nigerians sabi spoil business wella. The best thing is, if you want to start any business, make sure its a business of "payment before service". If not, dem go use credit "finish" you! The funny thing is that, many of those creditors have the money to pay but probably they feel by paying you they are enriching you so they don't want to pay! If you give on credit, to collect your money na there wahala go start angry
Re: Coping With Businesses That Involves Selling On Credit. Advice Needed by cherish(m): 10:42am On May 17, 2016
tochman:

am into DAT business, I mean I run a bakery at ajah area. Add me on WhatsApp. 08034649417
Re: Coping With Businesses That Involves Selling On Credit. Advice Needed by justmenoni: 10:43am On May 17, 2016
Op do you have other source of income?? Are you going to do the flour business as a result of unemployment or idleness??

Also are you toutish, do you smoke weed and drink strong alcohol if you don't then please don't dare try it oooo instead check othrr businesses that you can get a place and start, when a customer needs your service then let them come in then pay
Re: Coping With Businesses That Involves Selling On Credit. Advice Needed by tochman(m): 11:03am On May 17, 2016
Tiskified:
As a Chartered Accountant abs SME advisor, I would recommend you extend credit whenever you can.

Extending credit helps you to sell at least 50% more than if you don't. But there is a downside. Selling on credit also exposes you to risk. The interesting thing though is that that risk can be controlled to a large extent because you’re the one who determines the credit terms.

So before you decide whether to extend credit and if so, how much, consider 5 important factors

Credit risk:
Simply put, how much are you willing to risk? Do you have the financial resources to support the transaction? What if the customer never pays at all, will it adversely affect your business?

Credit terms:
You must decide in advance how much credit you’re willing to extend and how long you can afford to wait for payment. The terms can vary all the way from 10-day terms to 90 days or more. To reduce your risk, you may (a) require a down payment.(b) only offer 100% credit to customers who have previously settled within the agreed period.

Credit qualification:
Before you offer credit, determine if the person is credit worthy. But how will you determine if a business/person is creditworthy? Ask questions around, investigate chances are the person has done business with others before you and they can provide a rough guide for you.

Credit policy:
Develop a credit policy that covers the entire process when extending credit to customers, from when you offer to how you will recover any owed sums. The more details you have the better for you

Credit review:
Always review the purchase levels of those you extend credit to. Are they good customers? Do they desire more credit, if so do they deserve it?

Finally an important point is to make sure you keep accurate documentation.

I'm sure you'll be successful.

Thanks for your professional advice. I will definitely put it into consideration.
Re: Coping With Businesses That Involves Selling On Credit. Advice Needed by tochman(m): 11:09am On May 17, 2016
tete7000:

It's my pleasure my brother. Actually giving credit won't really be a big deal if everyone can be honest and sincere. Myself and a friend are into similar kind of business. We opened a shop and sell pastas - indomie and the likes. It took sometimes before we understand the dynamics of the whole thing. We have actually lost some money before then, both from credit and direct stealing.
People would come, buy and pay. Overtime, they would ask for credit, initially small and gradually graduate into big amounts. They would initially be paying until one day when you have much money with them and then they default and start avoiding you. You run after them, threaten hail and brimstone but to be candid if someone can't pay you, they just can't pay you; there is nothing you can do. Some of the time you have those who do everything to ensure they remain in your good book while with time we just understood some have had the scheme of defaulting at a time from onset. Always remember that business is business and not some compassionate ventures. People will want to make you look like a heartless and mean person sometimes, don't give in to the blackmail. If you need to be firm, be firm. If you lose money only you will bear the pain.

We simply opened a shop near a market and don't have to distribute with truck but I know from experience of others that having a truck introduces another dimension to the whole equation - one of having to deal with dishonest drivers. Thus you might need to try and seek someone you can trust and who is meticulous enough to handle the truck. A reckless driver ruin the truck in no time, a lazy one will spend less time doing business while he finds some other avenue to spend time and a dishonest one turns the truck into some kind of atm machine. If you find an honest driver kindly keep him and treat him well, they are uncommon.
Doing business like every ventures is tough but with patience, resilience, watchfulness and prayer you can pull through. Best of luck.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Its will definitely serve as a guide for my biz. Thanks bro and may God prosper our businesses
Re: Coping With Businesses That Involves Selling On Credit. Advice Needed by tochman(m): 11:12am On May 17, 2016
sorepco:
Y does your sis not go into retailing while u deal with debtors?? At least you have a foot in both spheres as well as gaing both experiences for the business.
.l

Someone else gave that suggestion earlier. Will think about it. Thanks
Re: Coping With Businesses That Involves Selling On Credit. Advice Needed by haywire1: 11:33am On May 17, 2016
cherish:
am into DAT business, I mean I run a bakery at ajah area. Add me on WhatsApp. 08034649417

Pls i need ur experience on hw u run ur bakery business frm start(machineries) to finished product. Also r u a baker?

#
Re: Coping With Businesses That Involves Selling On Credit. Advice Needed by Revolva(m): 11:53am On May 17, 2016
Selling on credit follow cos there must be loyal customers but na who you sell to
Re: Coping With Businesses That Involves Selling On Credit. Advice Needed by Adesege(m): 12:20pm On May 17, 2016
Laveda:

You know this isn't possible. tongue

I'm sending my account number..
Bank transfer would do. cheesy tongue

Send your account details first na. Is u afraid

Include your mobile number too wink
Re: Coping With Businesses That Involves Selling On Credit. Advice Needed by Adesege(m): 12:23pm On May 17, 2016
Sleekyshuga:

Nah!! I was referring to buyers, and not sellers or distributors..

Most buyers who are salary earners depend on the inflow of their salary to pay up; reasons a seller should have enough fund to run his/her business..

Hahahahahaha @ cow skin & pepper cheesy cheesy.. Evils..

Now I get.

Ehn, is u not the cow skin and pepper seller in Oshodi ni

Sleeky Shuga Nigeria Enterprises. Dealers in all kinds of meat, pepper, cow skin etc wink
Re: Coping With Businesses That Involves Selling On Credit. Advice Needed by Olicris(m): 12:48pm On May 17, 2016
My business depends mostly on credit selling,,,am olisa by name a 400lv student of futy and a proud owner of an enterprises dat deals wit shoes of all kind..dnt wana type much but I knw my advice to u wil b of grt help.reach me on dis line 07064329680
Re: Coping With Businesses That Involves Selling On Credit. Advice Needed by DedeNkem: 1:03pm On May 17, 2016
tochman:

Never ever do business on credit! Never! Those who usually do that are incompetent and desperate sellers who don't care about the risk. In business, you should care about risks.

Why should you take uneccessary risk that could lose you huge amount of money while those who buy on credit from you take no risk at all! It makes no sense to me.

Sell your goods to only real customers who pay you in full before goods delivery.
Re: Coping With Businesses That Involves Selling On Credit. Advice Needed by aduje(m): 1:16pm On May 17, 2016
tochman:

@OP, PLS I AM ON MY KNEELS, I BEG YOU DO NOT SELL ON CREDIT IF:
1) You are new in the business because in any business of distribution on credit, there is usually at least one cabal. They can frustrate a new entrant.

2) It is the only business you rely on.

3) Learn from my experience; having worked in one of the petroleum depots for half a decade, i felt i could be on my own. I started supplying diesel and petrol on credit in 2009. As at the time of typing this comment; some people are yet to finish paying back.

My $1 advice.
Re: Coping With Businesses That Involves Selling On Credit. Advice Needed by tochman(m): 1:49pm On May 17, 2016
cherish:

Sorry bro, I'm actually based in port harcourt, not lagos
Re: Coping With Businesses That Involves Selling On Credit. Advice Needed by Chrisx1x(m): 3:05pm On May 17, 2016
icebebe:
Its inevitable u jus ave to,but give to only dose u sincerely knw will pay u at d given time you are very Rice my deargrin
Re: Coping With Businesses That Involves Selling On Credit. Advice Needed by flakky80: 3:14pm On May 17, 2016
Everything in life is a risk,am into it and I enjoy it,while some are faithful others are not, good thing is you continue with those that are faithful and when starting,do try them with little before entrusting them with the whole of your business but if you have a store,I see no reason why you should go into credit cause your goods sells everyday not even now that there's high demand for it.do not start up your business with credit sales.
Re: Coping With Businesses That Involves Selling On Credit. Advice Needed by Sleekyshuga(f): 4:09pm On May 17, 2016
Adesege:

Now I get.

Ehn, is u not the cow skin and pepper seller in Oshodi ni

Sleeky Shuga Nigeria Enterprises. Dealers in all kinds of meat, pepper, cow skin etc wink
I forgot we partner cheesy wink..

It's actually Adesege & Co.
Re: Coping With Businesses That Involves Selling On Credit. Advice Needed by Laveda(f): 4:34pm On May 17, 2016
Adesege:

Send your account details first na. Is u afraid

Include your mobile number too wink

Seen? wink cheesy tongue tongue tongue
Re: Coping With Businesses That Involves Selling On Credit. Advice Needed by Adesege(m): 5:13pm On May 17, 2016
Laveda:

Seen? wink cheesy tongue tongue tongue

You is afraid jo cos i haven't seen your message.
Re: Coping With Businesses That Involves Selling On Credit. Advice Needed by Adesege(m): 5:15pm On May 17, 2016
Sleekyshuga:

I forgot we partner cheesy wink..

It's actually Adesege & Co.

shocked cheesy

Adesege & SleekyShuga LLC
Re: Coping With Businesses That Involves Selling On Credit. Advice Needed by Laveda(f): 5:23pm On May 17, 2016
Adesege:

You is afraid jo cos i haven't seen your message.

Network I guess. grin

1 Like

Re: Coping With Businesses That Involves Selling On Credit. Advice Needed by deltateam: 7:50pm On May 17, 2016
Djangocode:
As long as Buying and Selling is Involved, ''Sales on Credit'' is Inevitable...

Thing is: Hope for the best when they buy on credit and Plan for the worst when they start telling touching stories...

It depends on the owner of the business. If you say you don't want to sell on credit nah so.
Re: Coping With Businesses That Involves Selling On Credit. Advice Needed by Nobody: 9:29pm On May 17, 2016
deltateam:

It depends on the owner of the business. If you say you don't want to sell on credit nah so.

One thing is certain about 90% of all Business: ''There must be debtors''... I aint saying strict policy of not-selling-on-credit shouldnt be applied, buh regular customers tend to buy on credit sometimes due to so many factors..
Re: Coping With Businesses That Involves Selling On Credit. Advice Needed by ikenna44: 6:43am On May 18, 2016
OP...I hope u find this helpful and timely as well...

U can't do business without selling on credit...especially fmcgS

My advice is:

Always collect a certain percentage at the point of sale. Eg: if u give a customer goods worth 100k, be sure to collect @ least 50k cash.

You have to have a fixed date as to when you will be coming for your balance.

You have to have d disposition of a no-nonsense person to be successful in business these days.

You still want to transact business with them and you don't want them to kill ur business with credit...so u need 2 work on ur interpersonal skills. Know when to chill and when to be blunt.

If possible mark ur own stock...if u go 2 collect and they start sayin "market is dull"...check to see if they still have ur stock...if they still do; u might have to give them sometime...

Ur interpersonal skills will be put to d test...so bring ur A-Game!

Cheers!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerians In America Let Share Experience Here Must Be 10 Years Or Older Experie / CBN Raises Interest Rate To 17.5% / New CBN Capital: 25 Banks Need N3.89trn Fresh Funds To Meet Requirements

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.