Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,782 members, 7,824,264 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 06:54 AM

Should I Pay My Landlord The Money He's Requesting - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should I Pay My Landlord The Money He's Requesting (1313 Views)

"If You Both Make The Money & He Decides How It's Spent, You're A Doormat"- Lady / My Landlord / My Man Thinks That The Money He Earns Is His And Not Ours (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Pay My Landlord The Money He's Requesting by ThisYourTatafo: 9:28am On May 17, 2016
So our transformer has been bad for about 3 days and we were informed that PHCN asked us to pay a certain sum, and each house is supposed to pay 2,000 each.

So my landlord came to my apartment this morning and asked that I pay part of the said sum allocated to our flat, do you think I should considering the fact that I already paid my rent?
Giving him the dough won't be a problem but I haven't really had such an experience before.
Expert family men and women in the house I need your advice
Re: Should I Pay My Landlord The Money He's Requesting by DesChyko: 9:30am On May 17, 2016
Was your electricity bill included in the house rent?
Re: Should I Pay My Landlord The Money He's Requesting by ThisYourTatafo: 9:33am On May 17, 2016
DesChyko:
Was your electricity bill included in the house rent?

Yes but he say this one na transformer spoil
Re: Should I Pay My Landlord The Money He's Requesting by pet4ril(f): 9:34am On May 17, 2016
I don't want to cause trouble.... So, please pay him since the tough ain't that big
Re: Should I Pay My Landlord The Money He's Requesting by nonjebose(m): 9:41am On May 17, 2016
The choice is yours. Even when you decide to pay,raise an objection first to forestall future recurrence.
Re: Should I Pay My Landlord The Money He's Requesting by ever811(m): 9:42am On May 17, 2016
don't pay him anything don't pay him kobo,na we dey here noooonssssense........ flee when u got the quite notice..

1 Like

Re: Should I Pay My Landlord The Money He's Requesting by DesChyko: 9:47am On May 17, 2016
ThisYourTatafo:

Yes but he say this one na transformer spoil

Honestly, since it's a contribution to replace a faulty equipment, I think you should just pay up. Aside from avoiding trouble, transformer maintenance fee wasn't included in the rent. However, you must know when to draw the line, and how much you will pay out of the 2k.
Re: Should I Pay My Landlord The Money He's Requesting by Prognose: 4:32pm On Feb 08, 2018
I see nothing wrong here. You're going to benefit from the payment as well. Plus it is an unforeseen expense both to you and the landlord. And it's not like you're paying the whole sum.
Re: Should I Pay My Landlord The Money He's Requesting by tayo60(f): 7:57pm On Feb 08, 2018
Why bring ds shit to nairaland? Upon less than #500 you wan pay. Is it not something you benefit from? Gerrrahere!!!
Re: Should I Pay My Landlord The Money He's Requesting by Rainmaker69(m): 12:07am On Feb 09, 2018
In reality, transformer costs should be borne by PHCN, na dem get property. However, it is the landlord's responsibility to bring electricity into the house. It is the tenant's responsibility to pay electricity bills. The transformer is a capital responsibility for the property owner. You may leave the day after the transformer is fixed, what happens to your contribution? Its the principle of it all.
In this circumstance, because of the marginal cost, you can raise your objection but still make a goodwill contribution.

1 Like

Re: Should I Pay My Landlord The Money He's Requesting by NoToPile: 3:01pm On Feb 09, 2018
Rainmaker69:
In reality, transformer costs should be borne by PHCN, na dem get property. However, it is the landlord's responsibility to bring electricity into the house. It is the tenant's responsibility to pay electricity bills. The transformer is a capital responsibility for the property owner. You may leave the day after the transformer is fixed, what happens to your contribution? Its the principle of it all.
In this circumstance, because of the marginal cost, you can raise your objection but still make a goodwill contribution.

Well we all know phcn doesn't take that responsibility. So it falls to those using it.

So the landlord will pay the cash right. What if landlord doesn't live on the property he will come and pay money to repair transformer abi.

Since both use electricity, both should contribute shikena.

I am even surprised this is open for debate.
Re: Should I Pay My Landlord The Money He's Requesting by enoqueen: 3:41pm On Feb 09, 2018
Pay o.
The money no go reach you to buy fuel for one week.
Re: Should I Pay My Landlord The Money He's Requesting by Rainmaker69(m): 3:58pm On Feb 09, 2018
NoToPile:

Well we all know phcn doesn't take that responsibility. So it falls to those using it.

So the landlord will pay the cash right. What if landlord doesn't live on the property he will come and pay money to repair transformer abi.

Since both use electricity, both should contribute shikena.

I am even surprised this is open for debate.

We are so used to suffering in this country. If you're a tenant, when last did you take a look at your lease agreement? If you have one close by, carefully study it. You will see that Landlords and Tenants have rights, liabilities, covenants and obligations.
The Landlord's first obligation is to ensure that the house is in tenantable condition. This means that all utilities should be present and in reasonable working condition.
What if the cost of fixing the transformer required each house to contribute 200k? The issue isn't about the money which I'm sure the Op can pay 1000 times. On principle, you need to establish the rules, and then you can make a contribution as the spirit leads.
If the landlord lives off the property and such an event occurs, the Tenant should notify the landlord and provide the opportunity for the landlord to rectify the damage. If the landlord fails to rectify same, the tenant can go ahead to make payment, notify the landlord and set it off with the next rent.
Re: Should I Pay My Landlord The Money He's Requesting by NoToPile: 4:46pm On Feb 09, 2018
Rainmaker69:

We are so used to suffering in this country. If you're a tenant, when last did you take a look at your lease agreement? If you have one close by, carefully study it. You will see that Landlords and Tenants have rights, liabilities, covenants and obligations.
The Landlord's first obligation is to ensure that the house is in tenantable condition. This means that all utilities should be present and in reasonable working condition.
What if the cost of fixing the transformer required each house to contribute 200k? The issue isn't about the money which I'm sure the Op can pay 1000 times. On principle, you need to establish the rules, and then you can make a contribution as the spirit leads.
If the landlord lives off the property and such an event occurs, the Tenant should notify the landlord and provide the opportunity for the landlord to rectify the damage. If the landlord fails to rectify same, the tenant can go ahead to make payment, notify the landlord and set it off with the next rent.

Cost doesn't even matter in my opinion, phcn is who is responsible for electricity not the landlord and if for any reason the cables in the area are damaged everyone who uses it will contribute.

Is it the responsibility of the landlord to fix a broken transformer, landlord is to ensure his house is connected, pay for a prepaid meter etc etc not to repair a damaged transformer but as things are in this country, everyone using it will have to contribute irrespective of whether he is a landlord or tenant.

Does tenable condition of an apartment include fixing of transformer, transformer the whole street uses.

It's not the responsibility of either of the two parties that's my point so if they both want to use electricity they had better contribute what the community is contributing and if the landlord doesn't reside there if they like they should wait for him to contribute money for transformer repair.

What about other utilities that were present and are faulty because of tenants carelessness will the landlord pay for that alone too.

I moved to an apartment and about a month later the pumping machine got damaged, we all contributed to repair it no story.

Set it off with next rent? Is he repairing someting in the apartment or compound?

(1) (Reply)

A Funny Cake A Woman Got For Her Husband / Woman Calls Her Husband Useless because He Says He Can't Afford To Buy Her Bmw,rang / A Nairalander Welcomes A Bouncing Baby Girl As His First Child.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.