Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,813 members, 7,810,125 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:15 PM

Entrepreneurship - Is It For You? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Entrepreneurship - Is It For You? (38517 Views)

Entrepreneurship Is Not The Solution. / Entrepreneurship Is Overrated! A Better Approach To Unemployment / Part 2. Entrepreneurship Is A Scam In Nigeria As Well As A Multiplier Of Poverty (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Entrepreneurship - Is It For You? by importexpert(m): 8:24am On May 20, 2016
There are people who are happy with being a worker till they retire, and there are some who likes to be their own chairperson and starts up a business. Though, it does not mean that one person trumps the other, there are lots of personality differences between the 2. Really, there are personality tests available online that one can take to identify their personality characteristics and learn whether or not you have what it takes to be an entrepreneur.

Though lots of entrepreneurs differ in their style and perspective, there are some common traits that make one a successful businessman.

1. Hard working

this is a characteristic that every entrepreneur should have. Having non-stop energy to do a large amount of work and multitasking while a pile tasks here and there should be done to achieve your goals. If it suggests, work double time? Then, do work double time!

2. Positive attitude

it isn't assured that when you are into a business you'll always be good and no Problems will come, there will be issues and complications and these things are the ones that are going to shape you up to be a successful entrepreneur. Being pessimistic? There's no room for that! You want to know the way to deal with even the darkest times of your life for it would occur again.

3. Sense of commitment

Whatever you do, you should be committed to doing the absolute best you can and achieve what is predicted of you and for the business. It is tantamount to sense of professionalism, which is quite significant when you go to the outside world.

4. Goal-oriented

what good a business is, if there are no goals to live from? It is as if going out in battle without knowing what to do next. Setting up goals for your business is crucial since all of the activities revolved around the goals.

5. Passionate about reaching such goals

what good goals are if not achieved? Be sure that when you set targets, it's realistic and doable. You need be obsessed about what you do and have a thrust to keep you pushing forward to reach your goals.

6. Perseverance

Business includes lots of challenges. It's very likely that you're going to fail first time, even 2nd time, and sometimes even third time. Perseverance is the key to success here. Successful entrepreneurs try to benefit from their mistakes and never give up. Learn from PMB's struggle to be the president of Nigeria. lol

To be an entrepreneur you also must have a business idea, a clear appreciation of a difficulty you are trying to solve and some system in mind how you'll take it to the market. Just having above discussed traits doesn't guarantee that you are going to be a successful entrepreneur but certainly sets you aside from others, help you face difficult challenges, and save you from falling down on your face.

Is entrepreneurship for you? I don't know. You've got to answer that for yourself. Ask yourself whether you some who likes to follow or who likes to guide, whether you like to do things your way or you mostly need guidance, whether you want to be managed or you are self-motivated. There are many such self-evaluations you can do yourself. But definitely, if you're a sort of person who likes new challenges each day, can fly in thin air, and lead without any direction; then you've a greater chance of succeeding as an entrepreneur. If you've got a business idea lurking deep within you, it's high time to try it out because that's the first thing an entrepreneur would say -'let's try out!

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Entrepreneurship - Is It For You? by importexpert(m): 8:25am On May 20, 2016
your entrepreneurship related questions are highly welcomed

1 Like

Re: Entrepreneurship - Is It For You? by importexpert(m): 8:26am On May 20, 2016
Re: Entrepreneurship - Is It For You? by Nobody: 10:14am On May 20, 2016
The truth is, entrepreneurship is not for everyone. I wish it was, though. There's nothing more fulfilling than being in charge of your own income and controlling how much you earn.

Different strokes for different folks. Someone once told me all she wanted was to get a job. In the end, everyone should be an entrepreneur of sorts. Having a job doesn't prevent anyone for creating multiple streams of income.

4 Likes

Re: Entrepreneurship - Is It For You? by importexpert(m): 10:21am On May 20, 2016
delivite:
The truth is, entrepreneurship is not for everyone. I wish it was, though. There's nothing more fulfilling than being in charge of your own income and controlling how much you earn.

Different strokes for different folks. Someone once told me all she wanted was to get a job. In the end, everyone should be an entrepreneur of sorts. Having a job doesn't prevent anyone for creating multiple streams of income.

well said bro. while some are born to lead, others are born to be lead. entrepreneur is definitely not for everyone.

3 Likes

Re: Entrepreneurship - Is It For You? by hahn(m): 10:54am On May 20, 2016
7. Risk taking: Every entrepreneur takes risk.

3 Likes

Re: Entrepreneurship - Is It For You? by jedisco(m): 4:26pm On May 20, 2016
@op
Re: Entrepreneurship - Is It For You? by Nobody: 5:51pm On May 20, 2016
Thank you for this beautiful post op.. You are right on time..
So, I. Ventured into Ankara bag making some weeks back although not with the intention of making sales out of it... But recently my tutor ad been pressing for me to actually start up the business.. As much as I would love to, I don't know how to market.. How do I get to sell my goods?
Re: Entrepreneurship - Is It For You? by VocalWalls: 6:05pm On May 20, 2016
Nice.
Anyone who checks my blog will see lots of business opportunities, and I even train for free.
Link in signature, just tell me the part you're interested in. However, being an entrepreneur is not really easy, you have to be ready to go all in, this is why i discourage people from starting business with a borrowed money. You wont be able to make some kind of decisions due to fear.
Recently i wrote about this business, And you can be a professional at it It even costs almost nothing.

1 Like

Re: Entrepreneurship - Is It For You? by callmelanner(m): 7:21pm On May 20, 2016
Evaluation is the key,
Assess yourself
Know yourself

Thanks @op
Good writeup!

1 Like

Re: Entrepreneurship - Is It For You? by computerboy: 7:35pm On May 20, 2016
Entrepreneurship is definitely not for everyone but just as Robert Kiyosaki would say, "while on your job, try and create your own business".

The difference? Any where you earn your active income is your job and your passive income is your business and once your monthly passive income is reasonably higher than your monthly expenses, you've achieved your financial freedom (and can safely retire). You can then move to become an investor and create more streams of income.

7 Likes

Re: Entrepreneurship - Is It For You? by gimmehear(f): 4:02am On May 21, 2016
That's true any way. Buy fuel at easy and affordable price Visit gimmehear.com
Re: Entrepreneurship - Is It For You? by onegig(m): 6:25am On May 21, 2016
All these entrepreneurship talk that you guys keep banding around is nothing but buying and selling. Real entrepreneurs add value to a raw material and fills the gaps and needs and bring forth innovative products to the market.

It is not importing sub standard wrist watches and all matter of junk and adding extra money to it to sell to buyers, that's buying and selling. Even an ordinary gate man can do that as long as he has the finance to do so.

Question you should be asking yourselves is what value have you added to the production chain; What improvemement have you added to the process?
For 95% who go around carrying the entrepreneurs cry/tag on their head, they have done nothing but just buy the same products and pass it on. That's definitely not what entrepreneurship is about.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Entrepreneurship - Is It For You? by Osgilliat(m): 6:41am On May 21, 2016
onegig:
All these entrepreneurship talk that you guys keep banding around is nothing but buying and selling. Real entrepreneurs add value to a raw material and fills the gaps and needs and bring forth innovative products to the market.

It is not importing sub standard wrist watches and all matter of junk and adding extra money to it to sell to buyers, that's buying and selling. Even an ordinary gate man can do that as long as he has the finance to do so.

Question you should be asking yourselves is what value have you added to the production chain; What improvemement have you add to the process?
For 95% carrying the entrepreneurs crown on their head. Nothing.

Wetin this one dey talk? What is the act of buying and selling called? Some folks just like turning things upside down.
Importing watches and other stuffs is risk taking and that's one of the features of an entrepreneur.
Re: Entrepreneurship - Is It For You? by thelastmediator: 9:35pm On May 21, 2016
onegig:

Question you should be asking yourselves is what value have you added to the production chain; What improvemement have you added to the process?
For 95% who go around carrying the entrepreneurs cry/tag on their head, they have done nothing but just buy the same products and pass it on. That's definitely not what entrepreneurship is about.
God bless you. Even you have to import things let it be purposeful.it should solve a problem. Be innovative.

4 Likes

Re: Entrepreneurship - Is It For You? by tempem: 6:33am On May 22, 2016
You indeed deserve a gold star...
The first point melt off my heart..
But op, mind you, hard work isn't always hard work.
Compare a labourer to an office worker... They are both hardworking but yet, there is a clear difference.
Re: Entrepreneurship - Is It For You? by KPhantom(m): 9:56am On May 22, 2016
Entrepreneurship is very difficult, very very difficult to come up with an idea and provide solution to a problem millions of people who r ready to pay for.. People tend to be comfortable with their day job cos its less risky.. But i strongly think an entrepreneur will need some form of monopoly if he were to really make it big. Importexpert wat do u think?

1 Like

Re: Entrepreneurship - Is It For You? by CUM4WHAT(m): 10:55am On May 22, 2016
I Never knew d fastest silent online human bot ******** importexpert ******** creates thread too
Re: Entrepreneurship - Is It For You? by mosefin19(m): 5:42pm On May 22, 2016
hello fellow nairalanders. I'm posting from a friends account ( I can't log in ).. I'm koye a young student from an entrepreneurial background and together with my dad ( an auditor and business man / importer) we are trying to revive an agro enterprise that closed and lost a few millions back in 1996-1998. Here's what we do currently.

SHOJAG AGRO NIG LTD, producers of "FIRST OVEN
DRIED FISH".Oven dried catfish that is sealed and
packaged, Produced under the best hygienic
conditions. Our fish is DUST FREE, SAND FREE,
INSECT FREE, GUT FREE, SEALED/PACKAGED, OVEN
FRESH, TASTY & READY TO EAT. We also do
CUSTOMIZED PACKAGING FOR BIRTHDAYS,
WEDDINGS, WEDDING ANNIVERSARIES, FUNERALS
AND REMEMBRANCE ANNIVERSARIES, AS WELL AS
OTHER EVENTS. We also offer training services to
interested individuals that wish to be self
employed. Place orders via call, SMS or whatsapp:

just "Google" shojag agro nig ltd. articles and pics available.

we're on jiji efritin Facebook and of course naira land. anybody knows how to promote brands online?
Re: Entrepreneurship - Is It For You? by importexpert(m): 7:11pm On May 22, 2016
CUM4WHAT:
I Never knew d fastest silent online human bot ******** importexpert ******** creates thread too

Guess what| and I also reply comments. Thank God u said human bot.
Re: Entrepreneurship - Is It For You? by TimothyNkenu: 7:24am On May 23, 2016
You MUST not be too scared to take risks. Sure it can be scary but then, that's the fun of it.
Re: Entrepreneurship - Is It For You? by Hawlahscho(m): 7:24am On May 23, 2016
[size=25pt]
Entrepreneurship - Is It For You?

Oga why you wan know na?

In fact, ask my other neighbour, no be me get the entrepreneurship. [/size]
Re: Entrepreneurship - Is It For You? by virginboy1(m): 7:29am On May 23, 2016
Fela once said..."Teacher don't teach me nonsense"
Those making it real big are the political entrepreneurs.
I lie?
Re: Entrepreneurship - Is It For You? by Integrityfarms(m): 7:29am On May 23, 2016
The Government and those in power are pushing the youths to entrepreneurship while reserving the juicy government jobs for their kits and kin!
Re: Entrepreneurship - Is It For You? by virginboy1(m): 7:32am On May 23, 2016
hahn:
7. Risk taking: Every entrepreneur takes risk.
What about deceit?

Sadly, its wrong but worked for many entrepreneurs ask Otedola

1 Like

Re: Entrepreneurship - Is It For You? by teepsee(f): 7:34am On May 23, 2016
Entrepreneur is simply putting the needs of others ahead of you, seeing opportunity where others sees defect n fear. As we all love to earn more money, it's important not to make the gain your first priority as an entrepreneur. #repentrepreneur
Re: Entrepreneurship - Is It For You? by CUM4WHAT(m): 7:34am On May 23, 2016
Dope post by NL fastest human bot importexpert
Re: Entrepreneurship - Is It For You? by jmizzy1(m): 7:35am On May 23, 2016
Osgilliat:

Wetin this one dey talk? What is the act of buying and selling called? Some folks just like turning things upside down.
Importing watches and other stuffs is risk taking and that's one of the features of an entrepreneur.
bro entrepreneurship s more than that oooo.... their s a different between business men n entrepreneurs....entrepreneurship s about newness through innovation and adding values.... yu ave to improve the existing product or bring new product... not buying n selling
Re: Entrepreneurship - Is It For You? by virginboy1(m): 7:36am On May 23, 2016
computerboy:
Entrepreneurship is definitely not for everyone but just as Robert Kiyosaki would say, "while on your job, try and create your own business".

The difference? Any where you earn your active income is your job and your passive income is your business and once your monthly passive income is reasonably higher than your monthly expenses, you've achieved your financial freedom (and can safely retire). You can then move to become an investor and create more streams of income.

On point, personally I would love to go into importation but fear of alarming scammers in 9ja, dollar wahala, and poor govt policies is making me paranoid.

it shall be well someday
Re: Entrepreneurship - Is It For You? by ki02020(m): 7:38am On May 23, 2016
Whatever you find yourself doing alwyas try to give it a meaning
Re: Entrepreneurship - Is It For You? by Goahead(m): 7:46am On May 23, 2016
Personally, I think you were a bot
Re: Entrepreneurship - Is It For You? by teepsee(f): 7:46am On May 23, 2016
onegig:

you just said all I wanted to say. Entrepreneur is all about creating for others to enjoy, building an empire so that people will have. If you can't sacrifice for others then you just a marker.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dried Bamboo To Tissue Production Factory Launched In Akwa Ibom Today (Photos) / If You Have 5 Of These 7 Qualities, You Are Good To Start A Business / My Terrible Experience With Multilevel Marketing In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.