Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,065 members, 7,818,181 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:38 AM

10 Courses In Universities That No Longer Have Clear Career Paths - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 10 Courses In Universities That No Longer Have Clear Career Paths (13528 Views)

"Bewarned".study This 10 Courses To Avoid Unemployement In Nigeria.must Read!!! / Nigerian Universities That Won't Offer Law And Accounting Anymore / NUC Scraps Pre-degrees And Diplomas In Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Courses In Universities That No Longer Have Clear Career Paths by femarse: 7:22pm On May 22, 2016
seriously all the courses no matter what are useful that Nigeria did not create enabling environment for them does not invalidate them medical and legal courses thrives because of their importance to the life of the nation and even at that many I mean thousands from that discipline are not well to do on the other hand gone are the days when management courses hold sway it's no longer so it's crappy now anybody that goes to school can do anything and I mean everything a management student learnt in school ,pol science , history, etc will almost land you nothing more than a teaching job on the surface a little deeper and u did get something in ministry or international organizations but then irrespective of the courses u study in school note that u are been train to look for work and not to create work many times when I see computer science student looking for job I get mad because right now tech is the new industry creating job for people in the world now it's volatile thou can quickly rise to the top but if u don't change as the industry change u might soon run out of stock Nigeria has not embrace technology like the rest of the world cos right now all the computer science graduate should have learnt two or more programing language during their undergraduate so when they graduated they find a problem in the society and write a program to fix it it will only cost them a laptop and a little marketing with persistence but no they want to look for job and get paid thousands of them can't write a Java program Nigeria should have a lot of custom ROM developers now for the thriving Android platform management is now crappy everybody can do it the bottom line is your chosen course of study might not necessarily be a career path in short it is not ,because theory is different from practical it is when u are thru and you get to the field see what it offers and if u are not included in that offer then look for what you can offer it and how u can squeeze it to give you what u want reading medicine only allow u to get job faster does not mean u will develop your career all the courses are very very important how u utilize them is what matters

it's my opinion from my experience
ND accounting upper credit
Bsc economics switch to bsc pol science , a writer (screen writing , articles ) vast knowledge in IT (Java) works in a bank and my BM holds a bsc in physical health education and he's living large

if I leave the bank today I know exactly where am going, our opportunity might varies but I assure u no knowledge is a waste forget the fact that your career path has to be your area of study CAPITAL NO only ignorant people with little idea of what can be achieve outside there thinks like that

sorry for the long write up , it's the writer in me

thanks
Re: 10 Courses In Universities That No Longer Have Clear Career Paths by kingsilly(m): 7:22pm On May 22, 2016
elego1:
OP, what about geography and regional planning?

grin grin grin
Seriously is that a course, were they wan do their regional planning for Naija
Re: 10 Courses In Universities That No Longer Have Clear Career Paths by kingsilly(m): 7:31pm On May 22, 2016
EgunMogaji:
An astute observation.

I think it's because of this insane push that success in life equates to having a college degree, any college degree.

It's not limited to Nigeria only. Here in the US you have people graduating in African studies. For the love of God, of what use is that to anyone.

In these days when we're talking of colonizing Mars someone is graduating in African studies grin

But hey, they have a college degree.

Africa studies grin grin
Egun no kill me with laugh cheesy
Re: 10 Courses In Universities That No Longer Have Clear Career Paths by abouzaid: 7:40pm On May 22, 2016
kingsilly:

Africa studies grin grin
i once saw African traditional religion been offered by uniben on the jamb brochure, that was around 2002 i think.
Re: 10 Courses In Universities That No Longer Have Clear Career Paths by Nobody: 7:56pm On May 22, 2016
kingsilly:

Africa studies grin grin

I kid you not

"Jobs for African American Studies Majors
A masters in African American studies is a degree that may not be well known to many. This degree provides students with the skills and tools necessary to form a better understanding of the modern world from a global context, while learning both national and international components that factor into their concentrated fields.

Students who complete courses in African American studies will learn a variety of material including:

A firm understanding of African American literature and art;
An understanding and definition of the role of major......."

http://www.pacificoaks.edu/Resource_Room/Jobs_for_African_American_Studies_Majors

"Master of Arts in African Studies

MASTER OF ARTS IN AFRICAN STUDIES

The one-year Master of Arts program in African Studies at Stanford University is designed for highly qualified college graduates who have previous experience working, living or studying in Africa.

The program seeks a diverse group of students prepared to pursue a highly focused, demanding course of study in a limited time frame.

The purpose of the master's program is to further develop knowledge and skills in African Studies and to prepare students for a professional career or doctoral studies. This is achieved through completion of courses, in the primary field as well as related areas, and experience with independent work and specialization."

https://africanstudies.stanford.edu/academics/ma_program
Re: 10 Courses In Universities That No Longer Have Clear Career Paths by kingsilly(m): 8:26pm On May 22, 2016
Rapmoney:
Please, before you proceed, know that this post is not meant to put anybody's spirit down or to underrate anyone's course of study. It is an observation and it is basically limited to our society; it does not extend to the environment outside.

Every year, an army of young people seek to gain admission into the numerous universities spread across the country. One thing pertinent here, is the fact that many of these young people just want to get there, obtain whatever degree they can (irrespective of the class of degree) and rush to the labour market to sell whatever knowledge they feel they have obtained!!! People mostly think of working and earning money without thinking of 'career'. In the end, they reluctantly settle for UNDEREMPLOYMENT!!! When you don't have a clear career-path to grow in, you may find yourself in just anywhere, whether you like it or not cool Below are some courses in our universities that have slowly lost institutions that can support their career paths:

1) Political Science/Public Administration: Seriously speaking, you can hardly find a clear career path under these courses in Nigeria. Many people I personally know who studied these courses have started doing 'anything' to survive! Except you are studying for just knowledge or you have other businesses or line of interests to engage yourself in, these two courses are not what anyone should bank on as career in these present days. Apart from the education sector, you may not be able to grow your career in the few insitutions aligned to these courses if you are not 'connected'!!!

2) Microbiology: Most graduates of this course have become so frustrated in life to an extent where some of them have gotten trapped with teaching Biology in little mushroom private schools where they are paid 12,000 Naira monthly! grin You can hardly differentiate such schools from poultry farms! One Microbiologist asked me to assist her get placement in a media house. She told me that she liked working as a presenter in a radio station! The first thing that came to my mind is, 'Why didn't you study Mass Communication or Information Technology in the Ivory Tower?'

3) Parasitology and Entomology: I don't even know what to say at this junction! cool

4) Philosophy: Despite the fact that this subject gave birth to all other studies as we have been told, it is becoming more and more irrelevant as the days go by. Apart from teaching or lecturing...or in religious institutions, this course has no clear career path in Nigeria.

5) History & International Relations: If you are not an enterprising person, talented or already in a seperate business, banking on this course may spell doom for you! Your services are mostly needed in academic institutions.

6) Zoology: In a society where even endangered species of animals are flagrantly killed and posted on-line with so much impunity grin, I wonder what the future of zoologists would look like career-wise How many zoo or animal reserves do we have?

7) Archeology: I wonder what's up in your mind if you decide to study this course! We no longer have strong institutions that can support archeology which happens to be the study of ancient things! A graduate of Archeology might find himself/herself doing just 'anything' sooner than later wink

8. Religious Studies cool

9) Anthropology: Don't even think of establishing and growing a career in Nigeria with this!

10) Yoruba/Igbo/Hausa Education: In a society where our indigenous languages are gradually 'suffering' in the hands of our young ones, especially, in the cities, and the government and cultural institutions are doing almost nothing to correct it, I wonder what career path graduates of these courses would hope for, except in the academic world!

Before you criticize this post, consider the introduction of the post.

Don't be afraid that your life might END, instead ask yourself whether it would ever START!!!

Good day everyone!

The only thing Philosophy is good for is, it enables you to think deeply about Unemployment .

1 Like

Re: 10 Courses In Universities That No Longer Have Clear Career Paths by Taiwosqee4u: 9:55am On May 23, 2016
The creator of dis thread has totally lost it. All courses in biosciences hv good career prospects in researches n odas. If everybody are doctors, lawyers, engineers, accountants etc. where wud u place d importance of oda professions. It all depends on u. For e.g doctors depend on bioscientist mcbist, zoologist, biochemist, botanist, geneticist directly or indirectly 2 carry out dia duties. Doctors only treat ailments but dey don't know hw 2 control or prevent dem. Prevention is better dan cure dey say. The effective control n d near extinction of dracunculiasis(guinea worm disease) n oda diseases is d handworks of bioscientists n nt doctors. I'm a proud parasitologist. I LOVE IT SO MUCH
Re: 10 Courses In Universities That No Longer Have Clear Career Paths by Aleora(f): 12:30pm On May 23, 2016
BoluGabriel:

Sweetheart, pls update your brain. If your father read sociology I'm sure your life would be far better than what it is now. My father didn't read it, and that's why I am. Hope you are not yet an undergraduate?, cos if you are.....I really pity your life. PEACE!!
guess u studied sociology##lolss#i feel ur pain bro
Re: 10 Courses In Universities That No Longer Have Clear Career Paths by Cynthiabelle(f): 4:14pm On May 23, 2016
Taiwosqee4u:
The creator of dis thread has totally lost it. All courses in biosciences hv good career prospects in researches n odas. If everybody are doctors, lawyers, engineers, accountants etc. where wud u place d importance of oda professions. It all depends on u. For e.g doctors depend on bioscientist mcbist, zoologist, biochemist, botanist, geneticist directly or indirectly 2 carry out dia duties. Doctors only treat ailments but dey don't know hw 2 control or prevent dem. Prevention is better dan cure dey say. The effective control n d near extinction of dracunculiasis(guinea worm disease) n oda diseases is d handworks of bioscientists n nt doctors. I'm a proud parasitologist. I LOVE IT SO MUCH

The OP is not saying the courses are not interesting or useful. For most of the courses mentioned, out of every 50 who studied these courses only about 3 actually practice in the field when you exclude teaching and lecturing
Re: 10 Courses In Universities That No Longer Have Clear Career Paths by ndat(m): 5:20pm On Dec 12, 2016
kingsilly:

The only thing Philosophy is good for is, it enables you to think deeply about Unemployment .
PLC sir shade more light on bsc physical and health education in term job prospect. thanks in advance.
Re: 10 Courses In Universities That No Longer Have Clear Career Paths by ndat(m): 5:26pm On Dec 12, 2016
sammyclassics:
anybody studying history is outdated like NTA NEWS...

what about physical and health education

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Causes Missing Results In Nigerian Universities? / Which University Is Currently Selling Their Pre-degree Form.pls Help! / Federal Polytechnic Nekede Owerri Imo State 2011/2012 Result Is Out Check It Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.