Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,125 members, 7,811,165 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:19 AM

Ask A Pilot... - Travel (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Ask A Pilot... (107114 Views)

Pilot Saves Baby After Being Involved In A Horrible Accident In Lagos. Photos / Nigerian Pilot, Ademilola, Makes History As First African To Fly The World Solo / Young Pilot Who Flew His Mother: "One Of The Best Days Of My Life" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (31) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ask A Pilot... by brownlord: 6:35am On Aug 16, 2016
kingreign:

Only a chopper can hover mid air, planes don't stay still and don't reverse.

Thanks Kingreign, but my experience when I flew emirate to attarurk airport Istanbul few months ago makes me think it's possible. Just few minutes before landing in istanbul, our plane was still mid air, it wasn't moving it was so obvious that everyone was tensed, there was no noise to suggest the plane was moving, there was a guy sitting close to me he was chatting with one of the cabin all through flight, and during this experience, he was asking the lady what the problem was, she couldn't say anything I understand she didn't want to say there was a problem but her facial expression suggest it wasn't too good, mind you it's exactly the same spot two of my friends had this experience, it's usually before landing, the airport is located just after a sea, so the planes is like usually still when it gets to that spot, I already search on the internet prior to that experience and I got the answer that it's not possible. But I would be glad if you can explain what happened to me. Thanks
Re: Ask A Pilot... by kingreign(m): 7:17am On Aug 16, 2016
brownlord:

Thanks Kingreign, but my experience when I flew emirate to attarurk airport Istanbul few months ago makes me think it's possible. Just few minutes before landing in istanbul, our plane was still mid air, it wasn't moving it was so obvious that everyone was tensed, there was no noise to suggest the plane was moving, there was a guy sitting close to me he was chatting with one of the cabin all through flight, and during this experience, he was asking the lady what the problem was, she couldn't say anything I understand she didn't want to say there was a problem but her facial expression suggest it wasn't too good, mind you it's exactly the same spot two of my friends had this experience, it's usually before landing, the airport is located just after a sea, so the planes is like usually still when it gets to that spot, I already search on the internet prior to that experience and I got the answer that it's not possible. But I would be glad if you can explain what happened to me. Thanks

Before landing, the pilots must slow down the engines of the plane to its stall speed, and activate the flaps. This will give a sensation or feel as if the aircraft is coming to a stop, its speed is still actually more than 290km/h.

1 Like

Re: Ask A Pilot... by jude33084(m): 9:50am On Aug 16, 2016
brownlord:
Please I like to know, is it possible for a plane to be still ( not moving ) mid air, I've argued with someone before that planes especially commercial can't stay on air without moving but two people said they've experienced it and they weren't inside the plane but outside, I did a little search on the Internet and all result I got proved its not possible, I had an experience when I was on board a plane few months back which makes me think the plane was still at a point for about 10 minutes, it was at the same spot my two friends said they've seen this happened, it was just before landing, we weren't moving and it was so obvious, this really got me worried and I asked a friend who is a flight attendant with a local airline and she said it's possible.

Please i like to know if really a plane can be be still mid air without moving for maybe 5 mins.

Imposicant lols

Absolutely redunculus grin

3 Likes

Re: Ask A Pilot... by Boeing777pilot: 10:51am On Aug 16, 2016
kingreign:

Before landing, the pilots must slow down the engines of the plane to its stall speed, and activate the flaps. This will give a sensation or feel as if the aircraft is coming to a stop, its speed is still actually more than 290km/h.

This is correct
One bottle of lacasera and gala for you.
Hope it's still #150
grin

6 Likes

Re: Ask A Pilot... by freshvine(f): 11:34am On Aug 16, 2016
My question is simple... Why is it that planes with their engines at the tail wind areas are faster in take off and cruising speed but planes whose engine are attached to their wings are slower in take off.

I've been very unfortunate each time I want to fly it is the latter always on ground. There was a time Arik has 2 aircraft on ground boarding to port Harcourt from MMA Lagos simultaneously. I almost made a switch to join the one going to Port Harcourt International Airport Omagwa because it has the former engine type for it passengers while I was to land at the NAF base in Port Harcourt. Guess what, the hostess quickly discover my prank in time and bounce me to my original paid carrier.

I miss the experience

2 Likes

Re: Ask A Pilot... by Olisa4all: 12:19pm On Aug 16, 2016
freshvine:
My question is simple... Why is it that planes with their engines at the tail wind areas are faster in take off and cruising speed but planes whose engine are attached to their wings are slower in take off.

How were you able to calculate the speed to decide which is faster than which?

4 Likes

Re: Ask A Pilot... by freshvine(f): 12:24pm On Aug 16, 2016
Olisa4all:

How were you able to calculate the speed to decide which is faster than which?

If you stay close to an airport, observe very one. The one whose engine is located at the wings takes off into the sky more slowly. I don't know if the other one has a jet engine though

Re: Ask A Pilot... by kingreign(m): 2:33pm On Aug 16, 2016
freshvine:

If you stay close to an airport, observe very one. The one whose engine is located at the wings takes off into the sky more slowly. I don't know if the other one has a jet engine though

boeing 777 and gulfstream g500 business class.
Re: Ask A Pilot... by klexycole(m): 6:36am On Aug 17, 2016
freshvine:

Your signature is quite funny! grin cheesy
Re: Ask A Pilot... by idu1(m): 7:31am On Aug 17, 2016
freshvine:

I've been very unfortunate each time I want to fly it is the latter always on ground. There was a time Arik has 2 aircraft on ground boarding to port Harcourt from MMA Lagos simultaneously. I almost made a switch to join the one going to Port Harcourt International Airport Omagwa because it has the former engine type for it passengers while I was to land at the NAF base in Port Harcourt. Guess what, the hostess quickly discover my prank in time and bounce me to my original paid carrier.

I miss the experience
happy birthday
Re: Ask A Pilot... by Olisa4all: 9:52am On Aug 17, 2016
freshvine:

naah, thats not entirely accurate
Re: Ask A Pilot... by Boeing777pilot: 6:37pm On Aug 19, 2016
freshvine:

LOL, it doesn't work that way.
A variety of factors determines the take off speed of the aircraft not necessarily the position of the engines.

2 Likes

Re: Ask A Pilot... by naruto02(m): 12:27pm On Aug 20, 2016
freshvine:

I miss the experience
There are factors which affect the take off distance
1.temperature
2.weight
3.Altitude
4.up-slope surfaces retard the acceleration capabilities of the aeroplane thereby lengthening take off distance
5.head wing results in shooter take off
6.Aeroplane condition.

2 Likes

Re: Ask A Pilot... by naruto02(m): 1:20pm On Aug 20, 2016
@boeing777pilot please how many hours did u have when you when for jet type rating and also how many when you got your job?
Re: Ask A Pilot... by okikiosibodu(m): 4:07pm On Aug 20, 2016
freshvine:

I miss the experience
I think the engine typ is also a factor to consider: turbine engines are faster than propeller engines...am I right?

Cc: Olisa4all, kingreign, Boeing777pilot, naruto02,

Ladies and gentlemen, please help me welcome a rotary wings pilot nairalander to this great thread. His moniker is: Despamis
Re: Ask A Pilot... by okikiosibodu(m): 4:14pm On Aug 20, 2016
naruto02:

There are factors which affect the take off distance
1.temperature
2.weight
3.Altitude
4.up-slope surfaces retard the acceleration capabilities of the aeroplane thereby lengthening take off distance
5.head wing results in shooter take off
6.Aeroplane condition.
I can related to the other factors you mentioned, but please illuminate me: how does altitude and temperature affect take off distance?
Re: Ask A Pilot... by freshvine(f): 4:15pm On Aug 20, 2016
okikiosibodu:

I think the engine typ is also a factor to consider: turbine engines are faster than propeller engines...am I right?

Cc: Olisa4all, kingreign, Boeing777pilot, naruto02,

Ladies and gentlemen, please help me welcome a rotary wings pilot nairalander to this great thread. His moniker is: Despamis

I think this is the answer I am looking for.

Turbine engine and propeller

1 Like

Re: Ask A Pilot... by Olisa4all: 4:43pm On Aug 20, 2016
okikiosibodu:

I can related to the other factors you mentioned, but please illuminate me: how does altitude and temperature affect take off distance?

"Density altitude" can also be considered to be the pressure altitude adjusted for non-standard temperature.

Both an increase in temperature, decrease in atmospheric pressure, and, to a much lesser degree, increase in humidity will cause an increase in density altitude. In hot and humid conditions, the density altitude at a particular location may be significantly higher than the true altitude.

In aviation, the density altitude is used to assess the aircraft's aerodynamic performance under certain weather conditions. The lift generated by the aircraft's airfoils and the relation between indicated and true airspeed are also subject to air density changes. Furthermore, the power delivered by the aircraft's engine is affected by the air density and air composition.
Source: Wikipedia.

How Will High Density Altitude Affect Flight?

On a hot and humid day, the aircraft will accelerate more slowly down the runway, will need to move faster to attain the same lift, and will climb more slowly. The less dense the air, the less lift, the more lackluster the climb, and the longer the distance needed for takeoff and landing. Fewer air molecules in a given volume of air also result in reduced propeller efficiency and therefore reduced net thrust. All of these factors can lead to an accident if the poor performance has not been anticipated.

Source: AOPA

3 Likes

Re: Ask A Pilot... by okikiosibodu(m): 5:02pm On Aug 20, 2016
freshvine:

I think this is the answer I am looking for.

Turbine engine and propeller
I read up on it when I was Preparing for my entry exam into a flight school in Nigeria (though I now have admission, but no financial support). I learnt there at 3 types of engine: Propeller engine (old school), turbo-prop engines (combination of propellers and turbine engines. It's kind of an intermediary...just like phones with both Bluetooth and infrared, before Bluetooth phones were finally introduced), and then turbine engines (modern design). Will love to know the advantages of one over the other sef. I learnt most airstrike airplaces, are powered by turbine engines.
I also think propeller engines are cheaper to maintain than turbine engines, 'cause most training aircrafts (atleast from all the flight schools I have come across), are powered by propeller engine- both single and dual-engine aircrafts
Re: Ask A Pilot... by okikiosibodu(m): 5:02pm On Aug 20, 2016
Olisa4all:

"Density altitude" can also be considered to be the pressure altitude adjusted for non-standard temperature.

Thank you sir. But na beg I dey beg...I had difficulties comprehending, was about asking the summary of there big terminologies, before I saw my questions answered in the second source. Please you pilots should try to break things done to a primary school pupil's level (we never go flight school before). Please epp us wink grin

So in a layman's term... increase in temperature will increase the kinetic energy of the gases/ air close to the earth surface (or runway, as the case may be), thus altering other factors such as : air (which contain oxygen) available for fuel combustion (which is necessary for thrust generated by the engine(s), amount of air required to generate necessary pressure for airlift, etc. Am I correct?
Re: Ask A Pilot... by kingreign(m): 7:56am On Aug 21, 2016
I stumbled upon an interesting channel on BBM, aviators lounge C001EACBF
Re: Ask A Pilot... by Boeing777pilot: 9:04am On Aug 21, 2016
naruto02:
@boeing777pilot please how many hours did u have when you when for jet type rating and also how many when you got your job?

300+ hours when I went for 737 type rating

I had 800+ on type when I landed my first job as a 737 FO

1 Like

Re: Ask A Pilot... by Boeing777pilot: 9:16am On Aug 21, 2016
Despamis and sugah Warm welcome Please can you kindly share your profile with the house?

1 Like

Re: Ask A Pilot... by okikiosibodu(m): 1:37pm On Aug 21, 2016
http://www.ofonimeessien.com/night-flight-fatal-for-four/

This is a blog belonging to one of us. I think excess weight is the cause of the crash, as the airplane had difficulties gaining height. The weight in the airplane was not equally distributed (especially the passengers), thus altering the angle of attack, which resulted into an aerodynamic stall when the pilot was turning to return to the airport...I try with my analysis?

More information about the crash.
http://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/brief2.aspx?ev_id=20140825X32653&ntsbno=CEN14FA453&akey=1
Re: Ask A Pilot... by naruto02(m): 3:05pm On Aug 21, 2016
Boeing777pilot:

300+ hours when I went for 737 type rating

I had 800+ on type when I landed my first job as a 737 FO
Okay thanks!
Re: Ask A Pilot... by Boeing777pilot: 3:13pm On Aug 21, 2016
naruto02:

Okay thanks!

Ur most welcome.
But give careful consideration for the equipment you want to be type rated on. It's very important especially with respect to career mobility.

3 Likes

Re: Ask A Pilot... by lionlee216(m): 12:32pm On Aug 22, 2016
I was watching OritseFemi double wahala for dead body and I saw him getting down from a private jet with a propeller engine or so. I studied engineering and i learnt we have two types of Cooling system(air and water). If plane dey use water as cooling system, how big will tre radiator be.

I dont want google, that's why im asking
Re: Ask A Pilot... by naruto02(m): 10:05pm On Aug 22, 2016
Boeing777pilot:

Ur most welcome.
But give careful consideration for the equipment you want to be type rated on. It's very important especially with respect to career mobility.
Okay. The hour building is the difficult thing now, I was thinking of going for instructor rating and instruct to get hours not really minding if they pay or not. Second was to go bush flying.
What do you think?
Re: Ask A Pilot... by iamphill: 2:16am On Aug 23, 2016
Boeing777pilot:
Well, while we are still waiting for Seun, justwise and disguy to create an aviation section on nairaland, I decided to create this thread.

Purpose

The purpose of this thread is to help aviation enthusiasts and fans get answers to aviation related matters by asking a commercial pilot.

About me

By the special grace of God, I'm a first officer on a Boeing 777-200LR. I was previously a first officer on a Boeing 737-800 (Next Gen) so I know one or two things about flying. I look forward to interacting with all aviation fans and fellow aviation professionals here

My colleagues like olisa4all from the rotary wings branch grin, (helicopter pilots) are on hand to answer your questions too.

If I don't reply on time, I'm probably somewhere in the sky doing what I love.

please is it lucrative being a flight dispatcher? please can you advice I do look forward to your response. thank you in advance
Re: Ask A Pilot... by Boeing777pilot: 7:25am On Aug 23, 2016
naruto02:

Okay. The hour building is the difficult thing now, I was thinking of going for instructor rating and instruct to get hours not really minding if they pay or not. Second was to go bush flying.
What do you think?

I would recommend the instructor route. Have you considered building hours in the SIM?
Re: Ask A Pilot... by Boeing777pilot: 7:27am On Aug 23, 2016
iamphill:

please is it lucrative being a flight dispatcher? please can you advice I do look forward to your response. thank you in advance

LOL, we fly because it's our passion not because of the pay. That's where it all starts from.
Re: Ask A Pilot... by Olisa4all: 7:46am On Aug 23, 2016
Boeing777pilot:

LOL, we fly because it's our passion not because of the pay. That's where it all starts from.

this fact cannot be over emphasized enough,fly because you have the passion for it, if you go to flight school cos of the money, you probably wouldn't get past PPL Ground School

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (31) (Reply)

Lagos Plane Crash: List Of Passengers & Survivors / Nigerian Living In Mexico. Ask Me Any Question About Life Here / A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.