Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,229 members, 7,818,774 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:31 AM

Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? - Phones (136) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? (579804 Views)

Six Months After: Is The Iphone X Overpriced Or Worth It? / More Options For Nigerians As Matrix Set To Launch Pre-owned Devices (photos) / Etisalat Introduces Timely Based Data Plans For Unlimited Browsing And Streaming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (133) (134) (135) (136) (137) (138) (139) ... (272) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by sim04ful: 12:40am On May 21, 2018
Hi spectranet guys. Here's a chrome extension I created. It allows you to check your current data plan.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/spectranet-meter/kcechojkpgiichefknfocncdmfbdaeim

Check it out. I would love some feedback. Thanks

3 Likes

Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by Nobody: 12:47am On May 21, 2018
4llerbuntu:
Interesting discovery this evening.

Ntel has 2 active LTE bands.

Band 3 1800+ Mhz and Band 8 900Mhz

I found a way to force my phone on either band for testing.

Band 8 is terrible. Slow. Poor signal quality

Band 3 is much better. Waaaaay better..

I'm willing to bet those people who have decent Ntel speeds are the ones who are on band 3.

But thing is, the quality on each band may differ according to your area sha.

And this works only on phones as far as I know

For how to lock it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lH4GtNfFmo

Can this be forced for modems?
Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by Ayotundesh: 12:56am On May 21, 2018
These are speed tests at different times.
Even the peak periods are good.

Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by youngderek1(m): 1:00am On May 21, 2018
Ayotundesh:
These are speed tests at different times.
Even the peak periods are good.
bro how much did u get ur spectranet, thinking of getting mine
Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by Ayotundesh: 1:04am On May 21, 2018
I'll send pictures at different times of day

Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by Ayotundesh: 1:16am On May 21, 2018
Their mifi is 25k and another for 35k.

I don't remember how much their router costs.

Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by Ayotundesh: 3:08am On May 21, 2018
Third one.

Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by Ayotundesh: 3:11am On May 21, 2018
Last picture

Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:50am On May 21, 2018
oyb:

Can this be forced for modems?

I don't know of a way to do that
Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by ollah2: 5:50am On May 21, 2018
Ayotundesh:
Last picture

These tests are not consistent. Check the test using their app on your phone while connected to the same wifi
Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:56am On May 21, 2018
Ebubemg:
I'm using both bands at once, ntel supports 4g+ the problem I'm having is the coverage, I was getting 2bars before with speed of 2.5MB but as of last week was not getting any bars inside the house

You can't be using both bands at the same time, your phone switches between either band quietly

Using both bands is called Carrier Aggregation LTE-A and that's only possible with certain modems.

And you'd definitely not be seeing speeds less than 200Mbps - 1 Gbps if you were actually on LTE-A.

What Ntel claims to have and what they actually have are 2 different things entirely.....
Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by Nobody: 5:57am On May 21, 2018
4llerbuntu:

I don't know of a way to do that

Going to look at it. Or mYbe I will shell out for an Ntel modem

Their connection is all kinds of shit right now
Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by 4llerbuntu(m): 7:36am On May 21, 2018
oyb:

Going to look at it. Or mYbe I will shell out for an Ntel modem

Their connection is all kinds of shit right now

Try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdEZWndP5SQ

Depends on the type of modem sha.

The Ntel mifi or modem does not allow you specify which band you are connected to anyway

Meanwhile, I'm pretty sure the quality on each band varies from location to location. ........

Not like it suddenly became so awesome, but at my end it did improve from the 60kbps thingy.
And it's not unlimited plan too BTW. You know the unlimited plans are throttled.

1 Like

Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by Ebubemg(m): 8:23am On May 21, 2018
4llerbuntu:

You can't be using both bands at the same time, your phone switches between either band quietly

Using both bands is called Carrier Aggregation LTE-A and that's only possible with certain modems.

And you'd definitely not be seeing speeds less than 200Mbps - 1 Gbps if you were actually on LTE-A.

What Ntel claims to have and what they actually have are 2 different things entirely.....
you definitely be seeing far less speed with LTE-A (4g+)if ur network provider have very poor speed, is just like saying because it's 4g u won't get anything less than 50mbps

Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by duwdu: 8:45am On May 21, 2018
ollah2:

Are you a taxi driver?

gringringrin

P34c3
Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by duwdu: 8:58am On May 21, 2018
zevous:
that’s pretty bad from NTEL... If the network keeps up like this they would lose customers.. They had better fix their network issues or stop the wawu thing

That network's loss of customers did not start just yesterday, TBH; and its inconsistencies and unreliability/poor service delivery predated the WAWU thingy by "several" calendar years. wink

P34c3
Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by Nobody: 9:59am On May 21, 2018
4llerbuntu:

Try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdEZWndP5SQ

Depends on the type of modem sha.

The Ntel mifi or modem does not allow you specify which band you are connected to anyway

Meanwhile, I'm pretty sure the quality on each band varies from location to location. ........

Not like it suddenly became so awesome, but at my end it did improve from the 60kbps thingy.
And it's not unlimited plan too BTW. You know the unlimited plans are throttled.

That must be it
Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by 4llerbuntu(m): 12:21pm On May 21, 2018
oyb:

That must be it

Must be. I copped the wawu sim for the promo just to check. So it's on the 1k plan.
Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by Nobody: 1:30pm On May 21, 2018
Kmartt:
If you dont want to appear frustrated for now, just avoid ntel, expecially their so called WAWU sim. I culdnt bliv I culd be receiving as low as 0.15kb/s on a network that claims to be only on 4G / LTE broadband. Sooo pathetic. I just switched to my mtn ipulse weekly 1GIG for #500 now. Yesterday was the worst when the network was disappearing and re-appearing every seconds. Let me bliv they know what they are doing as far as WAWU sim is concern, cos I culd stream without buffer on YouTube but to open just nairaland site among others with just uc mini, menhhhh, na different story
You could get 2Gb for N500.
Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by Kmartt(m): 3:21pm On May 21, 2018
Server88:
You could get 2Gb for N500.

How bro??
Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by Nobody: 8:43pm On May 21, 2018
Kmartt:

How bro??
You get 1Gb for N500 on Pulse and it gets doubled to 2GB. If your sim is selected for double data all you subs get doubled. Well, if your sim ain't selected, you could trick the system into selecting your sim.
1. Send DOUBLE to 131 as a text message.

2. Send PROMO to 131 as a text message.

3. Then, Send FREE to 131 as a text message.
Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by nani667: 4:55am On May 22, 2018
Can't wait to get my hands on an Airtel 4G SIM... The 3G is blazing like Hell fire
Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by ollah2: 8:47am On May 22, 2018
nani667:
Can't wait to get my hands on an Airtel 4G SIM... The 3G is blazing like Hell fire

Location and what are the bands?
Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by AjanleKoko: 9:18am On May 22, 2018
4llerbuntu:

ntel has Carrier Aggregation.
Problem is, most devices you use don't have Carrier Aggregation. Their ZTE MF286+ supports CA. When you log into the admin console, you see it as 4G+.
But in any case, CA or not, the end user speeds are being capped. With their 20MHZ, you should normally be getting a combined speed of around 145Mbps peak baseband, if the network is open. But for capacity reasons, nobody opens their network in Nigeria.Else you will have two or three users with the right device maxing out an eNodeB (LTE base station), and everybody else getting shitty speeds.

1 Like

Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by AjanleKoko: 9:28am On May 22, 2018
4llerbuntu:

This is not correct.
LTE-A allows you to aggregate spectrum for better output, but what determines your speed is the size of the spectrum band you are aggregating.

ntel is aggregating Band 8(900) 5MHZ, which normally will give you a peak baseband throughput of 36Mbps on LTE from Release 10 through to 14, with Band 3 (1800) 15MHZ, which gives you a peak baseband throughput ofabout 112Mbps.

CA allows them to put the 15MHZ and 5MHZ together to get somewhere between 145 and 150Mbps. Note that the peak baseband throughput represents what one user can get from the eNodeB. However, the physics ensures that you can never get it. The networks assign peak throughput per user, irrespective of what your device can do. As soon as there are users, they will rebalance and keep dropping speeds.
Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by Nobody: 9:30am On May 22, 2018
AjanleKoko:

ntel has Carrier Aggregation.
Problem is, most devices you use don't have Carrier Aggregation. Their ZTE MF286+ supports CA. When you log into the admin console, you see it as 4G+.
But in any case, CA or not, the end user speeds are being capped. With their 20MHZ, you should normally be getting a combined speed of around 145Mbps peak baseband, if the network is open. But for capacity reasons, nobody opens their network in Nigeria.Else you will have two or three users with the right device maxing out an eNodeB (LTE base station), and everybody else getting shitty speeds.

Welcome back.

This is over my head, so let me ask the base question, are we being throttled?

I am getting max 100kb/s
Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by AjanleKoko: 10:53am On May 22, 2018
oyb:

Welcome back.

This is over my head, so let me ask the base question, are we being throttled?

I am getting max 100kb/s

Are you on Unlimited?
Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by Nobody: 11:04am On May 22, 2018
AjanleKoko:

Are you on Unlimited?

Yes
Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by dustmalik: 12:07pm On May 22, 2018
oyb:

Yes
The unlimited is capped at 5Mbps. Though from time to time, maybe due to network glitch or whatever, like it was yesterday and the day before that, it was getting to 10Mbps until midafternoon. Mind you, I carefully observed this scenario.

It has been four weeks since ntel capped its unlimited at 5Mbps. Before then, it was capped at 10Mbps.
Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by daamazing(m): 12:24pm On May 22, 2018
AjanleKoko:

Are you on Unlimited?
what if I get this speed on downloading only but fast on playstore and YouTube.. plan regardless
Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by ollah2: 1:04pm On May 22, 2018
daamazing:
what if I get this speed on downloading only but fast on playstore and YouTube.. plan regardless

Ntel presently is very sh!tty. It works well or above average when streaming but file sharing and downloads is abysmal
Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by AjanleKoko: 1:51pm On May 22, 2018
dustmalik:

The unlimited is capped at 5Mbps. Though from time to time, maybe due to network glitch or whatever, like it was yesterday and the day before that, it was getting to 10Mbps until midafternoon. Mind you, I carefully observed this scenario.

It has been four weeks since ntel capped its unlimited at 5Mbps. Before then, it was capped at 10Mbps.

@oyb - there's your answer.

(1) (2) (3) ... (133) (134) (135) (136) (137) (138) (139) ... (272) (Reply)

Switch Off Your Phones Before 12:30 - 3:30am Today, Its........ / Help! How Do I Change My 2go Profile Location. / Short Code To Check Ur Phone Number On Mtn, Glo, Airtel And Etisalat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.