Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,000 members, 7,838,515 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 01:23 AM

Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? - Phones (71) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? (583814 Views)

Six Months After: Is The Iphone X Overpriced Or Worth It? / More Options For Nigerians As Matrix Set To Launch Pre-owned Devices (photos) / Etisalat Introduces Timely Based Data Plans For Unlimited Browsing And Streaming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) ... (272) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by vanchi(m): 7:04pm On Jul 25, 2017
oyb:

your network has been bad all evening in festac - struggling with 200kb/s

Seems I dodged a bullet
Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by dustmalik: 7:30pm On Jul 25, 2017
oyb:

your network has been bad all evening in festac - struggling with 200kb/s
I've not been able to get up to 200kb/s since yesterday that I subscribed, even 100kb/s is a problem. I've restarted my mifi several times, just to see if it improves, but it has all been futile.

I was one of the first persons to get an ntel SIM when they started out on April 19, 2016, at Transcorp Hilton, Abuja. I got mine the next day. I remember very well how much I applauded them at the time, given the speed I enjoyed back then. The state of ntel network is now very shameful barely a year later. I'm very disappointed with ntel.
Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by moonraker(m): 11:21pm On Jul 25, 2017
4llerbuntu:
Galatians 6:9

i still do not subscribe to the bolded. there isn't anything inside a firmware that 'calls home' on its own, because what will it be calling home with?

under normal circumstances, 'calling home' would be uploading certain files, logs and info from your PC to an external conduit.
so if there's nothing connected at all, what is it homing?

plus the stated volume 1gb is rather extreme. the info that spyware targets are usually very small. keyloggers, password sniffers etc, these will give you kilobyte sized files.....

but then, never say never. stranger things have happened.

problem is: the way to test this type of issue for instance is to put a packet sniffer on your PC network card to log all connections so you can see what is being done. but thats from your PC you see....

if the modem itself is what is doing whatever, i don't know a way to check that, that doesn't require extreme measures like decompiling the firmware or changing it...... ZTE no dey like huawei so probably very difficult

my theory is: the modem is configured to constantly read packet activity and keep connection alive always. so its always using data.
i also think it counts upload pings and download pings the same. i don't think its calling any home.

plus you know some modems have config pages that literally try to go on-line (doesn't make sense, but now i think about it, I've seen that on a ZTE too...) . instead of a local html page that you can use to change settings.

even some huawel modems have huaweionline.com as config page, instead of just 192.168.8.1(or equivalent)

unfortunately, i can't begin to explain how to use wireshark but if you are really curious you can try get wireshark, read up how to use it and sniff your network card when connected to the modem. most of the log you probably won't recognize or understand. it will contain a lot of connections you'd think are suspicious but really aren't cheesy

what are you so bothered about anyway? your dataplan or you have some info you don't want to share with china?? grin grin grin grin

Not unless he or she is on windows 10. In that case, its not necessarily the modem calling home but telemetry in windows calling microsoft.

ofcourse Telemetry only works when it is connected so that doesnt explain the part of his 1gb disappearing.. Oh well what do i know??

i am just an SE.
Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by soloqy: 12:12am On Jul 26, 2017
Swift Networks is as unstable as ever.

And it fluctuates a lot. Swift in Lekki-Ikota- Ajah , is a mess.

First screenshot of 0.28 Mbps speed is a test I took over an hour ago.

Second one of 1.77 Mbps is one I took at midnight .

It may go down again after midnight

Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by Nobody: 4:16am On Jul 26, 2017
dsunmade:
It seems as if my NTEL ZTE MF286 modem is constantly calling home. Even when I am not doing anything on the network, it constantly sends and receives data. I am sure that this is not due to my computers.
On one night, I left it on and switched off wifi access to make sure that no rogue app was using the data. By the next morning, 1GB of data had been used up.

How do I resolve this problem?

Installing glasswire may help

you also need to note that a lot of manufacturers esp chinese have bundled all sorts of covert spyware in their systems

huawei for instance, is affiliated with the chinese military.

last year lenovo was busted for installing some sneaky software within laptop firmware, such that reinstalling windows made no difference.

you maybe onto one of those manufacturer shaming scandals if you can track down exactly what is going on.
Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by walcolm(m): 6:17am On Jul 26, 2017
soloqy:
Please can I use this Ntel Sim on this Swift 4g Lte Router?

Totally no..even if the swiftng box is unlocked the device might not support the LTE band of Ntel
Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by Ativ: 8:55am On Jul 26, 2017
moonraker:

Not unless he or she is on windows 10. In that case, its not necessarily the modem calling home but telemetry in windows calling microsoft.

ofcourse Telemetry only works when it is connected so that doesnt explain the part of his 1gb disappearing.. Oh well what do i know??

i am just an SE.

The modem was switched on but all other connections, wifi and ethernet were off. So, all data used up was by the modem and not by a computer's OS.
The data usage was monitored by one of the mobile network's apps. I will appreciate if someone else can carry out this test to ensure consistency.
It will be nice to have Ntelassist's input since he is an engineer and the ZTE router is one of their products. Posted the issue on Ntelassist's other thread with no response.
Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:57am On Jul 26, 2017
moonraker:

i am just an SE.

The bolded is the part i don't get.

and telemetry sef won't consume 1Gb in a month unless you are beta testing and committed to uploading every single log ever generated on the PC.
Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by 4llerbuntu(m): 9:00am On Jul 26, 2017
dsunmade:
When I did the data test, I did it using another network sim (not NTEL) and checked data usage via an unconnected mobile app.
I also switched off the wifi antennas and disconnected the Ethernet cable to ensure that the data used was not due to my computer.

I am worried about the modem using up my data plan since the data plan is not unlimited.

did you check the telco data counter if it registered the 1Gb as used on your line?
Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by Ativ: 9:08am On Jul 26, 2017
4llerbuntu:

did you check the telco data counter if it registered the 1Gb as used on your line?
The router data counter also registered but it was about half of the 1Gb.
Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by moonraker(m): 9:09am On Jul 26, 2017
4llerbuntu:

The bolded is the part i don't get.

and telemetry sef won't consume 1Gb in a month unless you are beta testing and committed to uploading every single log ever generated on the PC.

Sorry boss, what i meant to say is that Telemetry wont work unless the client PC is on and connected to the internet...

Telemetry is capable of sending that amount of data, boss, trust me.. But this is irrelevant cos both client pc and modem are switched off.

But like Oyb stated, it might be some kind of rogue software doing some background shit.
Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by 4llerbuntu(m): 9:59am On Jul 26, 2017
Ativ:
The router data counter also registered but it was about half of the 1Gb.

yeah, this confirms what i said earlier that it's reading uploads and downloads as one and multiplying them.

that modem is doing 'keep-connection alive' on steroids

best look around the device management page. might be there's some setting there that you can turn off/on that'll help.
Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by mrdan(m): 11:10am On Jul 26, 2017
Ativ:

The modem was switched on but all other connections, wifi and ethernet were off. So, all data used up was by the modem and not by a computer's OS.
The data usage was monitored by one of the mobile network's apps. I will appreciate if someone else can carry out this test to ensure consistency.
It will be nice to have Ntelassist's input since he is an engineer and the ZTE router is one of their products. Posted the issue on Ntelassist's other thread with no response.

Hi, hope no one else is connecting to your modem that you are not aware of, maybe someone has gotten access to your modem and is using it without your knowledge. I'll suggest you change your wifi access password and check.

Also is your modem unlocked to other network, so you can try with other networks and confirm if it does the same thing.
Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by ntelassist: 7:56pm On Jul 26, 2017
send me your email address.
purplekayc:
check your email
Note:don't you have a personal email address I can send to ?
This one is giving a non delivery message.
Reasoned that am not on the organisation's mailing list
Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by purplekayc(m): 10:56pm On Jul 26, 2017
ntelassist:
send me your email address.
done
Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by dustmalik: 1:23pm On Jul 27, 2017
I doubt there is any LTE network in the world more frustrating than ntel right now. Some 2G networks seem to be faster even. A total waste of money, if you ask me.

1 Like

Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by toluxa1(m): 2:16pm On Jul 27, 2017
dustmalik:
I doubt there is any LTE network in the world more frustrating than ntel right now. Some 2G networks seem to be faster even. A total waste of money, if you ask me.

It has been like that since day before yesterday. It is purely EDGE speed
Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by duwdu: 4:18pm On Jul 27, 2017
After a service outage over the last one week or so, ntel services returned to my crib along the Lekki axis yesternight (intermittent) and through today so far (rock steady.)

The steady D/L is just about 10mb/s (attached) but, hey, I'll take it, especially as it's in line with the new D/L speed policy, and provided it remains rock steady.

(I had exchanged quite a couple of email messages with the ntel help desk a couple of days ago.)

I'm on the N12.5k monthly limitless plan. cheesy

Good luck, crew!

P34c3

Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by JayJayGee: 11:53pm On Jul 30, 2017
Please i need suggestions on which 4g ISP to go for with unlimited plan with the following in mind;
1. Relatively cheap
2. Fast network and stability
3. Fast speed even after reaching fair usage
* as i would be using it to download pc games and streaming PS Now which requires a minimum speed of 5mbps and would be my main reason for subscribing unlimited on 4g
Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by kfrosh: 9:09pm On Jul 31, 2017
Who else is experiencing this super slow speed from ntel. It has been making sense not until this morning where the download speed drastically went down. Is it not truly unlimited like they have made us to believe.
Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by bisiriyuahmed6: 11:23pm On Jul 31, 2017
(1) help
Is there any easy way to Check my spectranet LTE Data account ?

(2) How faster is Ntel Network (signal) in Agege Lagos ?

which I want to use it to download 15GB Videos
Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by PoisonedOne: 4:20am On Aug 01, 2017
I finally bought another sim yesterday after they frustrated me for one without registering the sim I bought September last year. I got home and got it set up, it worked for about an 2hours (though the speed wasn't that great, but manageable) and then stopped. I've a full bar at home so I don't know what the problem might be. Anyone have an idea of what I can do? I've restarted the mifi several times.
Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by 4llerbuntu(m): 11:57am On Aug 01, 2017
Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by tivta(m): 12:53pm On Aug 01, 2017
4llerbuntu:
https://www.thecable.ng/exclusive-tunde-ayeni-wrecked-skye-bank-management-writes-osinbajo

Blood of Jesus
No wonder they can't expand beyond 3 states and their services is dead poor.
This country is truly corrupt.
Kai, over 70billion.
Jesus Christ of Nazareth.
Users of ntel, take note oh...
Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by duwdu: 9:50pm On Aug 01, 2017
I remember reading, from credible sources at the time, that Mr. Ayeni single-handedly donated N4bn to President Jonathan's campaign in 2015. Here's a link to some N2bn of it...

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/173602-nigeria-2015-governors-skye-bank-chairman-others-donate-n21-billion-pdp.html

It should probably be better on the long run that ntel goes into receivership, to avoid a total collapse.

P34c3

1 Like

Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by vanchi(m): 7:35pm On Aug 02, 2017
kfrosh:
Who else is experiencing this super slow speed from ntel. It has been making sense not until this morning where the download speed drastically went down. Is it not truly unlimited like they have made us to believe.
What plan are you on
Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by kfrosh: 7:52pm On Aug 02, 2017
12k5 for 1 month. It's going fine now. It was actually extremely slow that day I posted the post. Guess it was just one of those days of bad network.
vanchi:

What plan are you on
Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by vanchi(m): 8:46pm On Aug 02, 2017
kfrosh:
12k5 for 1 month. It's going fine now. It was actually extremely slow that day I posted the post. Guess it was just one of those days of bad network.
so no throttling after the 3gb cap?
Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by kfrosh: 9:20pm On Aug 02, 2017
I don't think so; in less than two weeks of activation, I am sure I have used close to 30 gigs. I still download till date. Seems not to be super fast like before but I can attribute that to poor network for the past few days. Live streaming and the rest still go smoothly.
vanchi:
so no throttling after the 3gb cap?
Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by nani667: 3:52am On Aug 03, 2017
NTEL now employing fair usage Policy... they have fully Joined Bad gang sad
Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by vanchi(m): 3:56am On Aug 03, 2017
See what they sent me
.. throttling currently unavailable

Re: Subscriber Options for UNLIMITED Internet - WORTH IT? by demazju(m): 1:30pm On Aug 03, 2017
kfrosh:

Same here, the speed has been abysmal for a few days now.. I cant even watch instagram videos

(1) (2) (3) ... (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) ... (272) (Reply)

Switch Off Your Phones Before 12:30 - 3:30am Today, Its........ / Help! How Do I Change My 2go Profile Location. / Short Code To Check Ur Phone Number On Mtn, Glo, Airtel And Etisalat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.