Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,208 members, 7,818,705 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:17 PM

Protesters Block Lagos Road As Policewoman Kills Driver - Photo - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Protesters Block Lagos Road As Policewoman Kills Driver - Photo (476 Views)

Truck Hits Man's Car In Benue, Drags It Along The Road As Occupant Screams / Road Safety Officer Killed In Ondo By Reckless Driver (Photo) / Accident On Oshodi-Apapa Expressway Kills Driver, Another In Coma (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Protesters Block Lagos Road As Policewoman Kills Driver - Photo by sammyotukoya(m): 6:52am On May 24, 2016
Motorists and youths blocked the Igando end of the Lagos State University-Iyana Iba Road on Monday to protest against the alleged killing of a commercial driver, identified as Muyiwa Ijaduola, by a female police corporal attached to the Igando Police Division.

The protesters, who burnt tyres and planks at about 11am, blocked the road with three buses, demanding that the police should arrest the female corporal, identified only as Taiwo, and release Ijaduola’s corpse to his family members.

PUNCH Metro learnt that on Sunday around 2.30pm, Taiwo and another female corporal were in front of a Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation filling station in the Igando area, checking vehicles.

Our correspondent gathered that 46-year-old Ijaduola was stopped by Taiwo.

It was learnt that the corporal allegedly demanded N500 from the driver who offered N300.

Our correspondent was told that an altercation had ensued during which the corporal allegedly pushed the driver into a gutter.

Ijaduola, a father of three, was said to have hit his head against the edge of the gutter.

PUNCH Metro learnt that the policewomen immediately fled the area, after which other motorists came to help the driver from the gutter and discovered that he was dead.

Angry youths thereafter reportedly stormed the Igando division around 6.30pm, but they were dispersed by gunshots, while Ijaduola’s corpse was deposited by the police in a morgue.

Our correspondent learnt that the protest resumed around 9am on Monday.

A commercial driver, who identified himself only as Adewumi, told PUNCH Metro that when Ijaduola was brought out of the gutter, a sum of N300 was still found in his hand.

He said, “He was on his way to Isheri when he was stopped in front of the NNPC filling station by the policewomen. It was five minutes after she pushed him into the gutter that I arrived. I met the corpse. Nobody attended to him. The policewomen had gone. He begged the woman to collect N300, but the corporal insisted on N500.

“That was how they argued with each other and she pushed him into the gutter. When we brought him out, his fist was closed. When we opened it, we found a sum of N300.

“The DPO later came with his men to the scene and took Ijaduola’s corpse to a morgue. Around 6.30pm, some youths went to the station to protest, but policemen came to disperse them with gunshots.”

A trader at the junction, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said sympathisers removed Ijaduola’s phone from his pocket to reach out to his family members.

She said, “The policewoman and the driver struggled before the man fell into the gutter. I saw the policewomen as they left. It is unfortunate because the policewomen did not even check him before they fled the scene.”

Ijaduola’s elder sister, Lola Oluranti, said the police at Igando had yet to disclose to the family members where they deposited the corpse, calling on the police authorities to investigate the incident.

She said, “I got a call on Sunday around 5pm. They initially said he had an accident. When I came to the scene, I learnt that he was pushed to his death by a policewoman.

http://www.slimxclusive.com/2016/05/protesters-block-lagos-road-as.html

Re: Protesters Block Lagos Road As Policewoman Kills Driver - Photo by Nobody: 6:53am On May 24, 2016
Smh. Nigerian police has got to be one of the worst there is

Imagine not being few meters away from each other on checkpoints yet insist on collecting high fees basically for nothing

If that #500 was given to her and to every other on the way, the drivers would make less than 1k +
on each trip

It's a shame she won't still face the law but be acquitted

Stupid country!!
Re: Protesters Block Lagos Road As Policewoman Kills Driver - Photo by klassykute(m): 6:56am On May 24, 2016
cant see d pic
Re: Protesters Block Lagos Road As Policewoman Kills Driver - Photo by sammyotukoya(m): 6:58am On May 24, 2016
klassykute:
cant see d pic

check again
Re: Protesters Block Lagos Road As Policewoman Kills Driver - Photo by IRserveMyComent(f): 7:10am On May 24, 2016
The police is your friend.. People that coined this phrase should ask nigerian police if they are included.
Re: Protesters Block Lagos Road As Policewoman Kills Driver - Photo by otokx(m): 9:03am On May 24, 2016
A country of extortionists.
Re: Protesters Block Lagos Road As Policewoman Kills Driver - Photo by pretty16(f): 10:22am On May 24, 2016
This is really Sad and all because of 500 naira. Is this not greed? And the guy offered her 300. Is it not his money? Does he have to give it to you?. Corruption has really eaten deep into the system. R.I.P to the dead.

(1) (Reply)

Please Help:can My Wife Join Me In US On B1/B2 Visa? God Bless America! / Photos: Tricycle Rider Dies After Crashing Into A Moving Trailer In Abia / Lagos-ercan One Way Flight At 200k{turkish Airline}

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.