Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,603 members, 7,809,190 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:01 AM

10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English (37666 Views)

Some Common English Mistakes And Their Corrections / 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday That Don't Exist / 10 Common Grammatical Blunders You Should Endeavour To Avoid (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by DANO1011(m): 1:57pm On May 24, 2016
Let's face it, English can be confusing. A lot of words are similar but with different meanings, as a result it is almost impossible to avoid making mistakes in English, but if you can get your head around these explanations, you might be able to avoid making these ones or at least recognise them when you see them.

1. MOURN vs MOAN :

Moan as a verb, means to make a complaint in an unhappy voice, usually about something which does not seem important to other people.
For example:-
The British always moan about the weather.
Mourn is a verb that means to feel or express great sadness, especially because of someone's death.
For example:
Many people in the UK mourned the death of Princess Diana.

2 CAPITAL vs CAPITOL:
- Capital is a noun used to describe the most important city or town of a country or region, usually its seat of government.
For example: London is the capital of England.
- Capitol is a noun used to describe a building in which a US state government meets.
For example: The Capitol is a public building.

3 COMPLEMENT vs COMPLIMENT :
- Complement is a verb, which means to make something seem better or more attractive when combined.
For example: "The colours blue and green complement each other perfectly."
- Compliment is a noun, which means a remark that expresses approval, admiration or respect.
For example: "It was the nicest
compliment anyone had ever paid me."

4 COUNCIL vs COUNSEL :
- Council is a group noun. It refers to a group of people elected or chosen to make decisions or give advice on a particular subject, to represent a particular group of people, or to run a particular organization.
For example: "The local council has decided not to allocate any more funds for the project."
- Counsel can be a verb, which means to give advice, especially on social or personal problems.
For example: "She counsels the long-term unemployed on how to get a job."
Counsel can also be a noun, which means advice.
For example: "I should have listened to my father's counsel, and saved some money instead of spending it all."

5 FEWER vs LESS :
most people gets this wrong - including native speakers. The general rule is to use fewer for things you can count (individually), and less for things you can only measure
For example:
There were fewer people in the class than usual. (People can be counted.)
There were fewer days below freezing last winter. (Days can be counted.)
I drink less coffee than she does. (Coffee cannot be counted individually it has to be measured).
It looks bad when there's less
information about your company on a site than there is for other companies.
!Note - The lines between less and fewer are getting blurred, i.e. a sign in a shop might say, "10 items or less," because "10 items or fewer," seems pompous to many people. Or maybe it's because less takes fewer letters.

6 HOLIDAY vs WEEKEND :
A holiday (noun), a time, often one or two weeks, when someone does not go to work or school but is free to do what they want, such as travel or relax. You usually have to book your holiday with your boss.
For example: "Where are you going on holiday this year? Somewhere nice I hope."
The weekend (noun) - In the UK, the weekend is Saturday and Sunday, or from Friday evening until Sunday night. It's the part of the week in which many workers living in the UK do not go to work. It is a time for leisure and recreation, and/or for religious activities. ...
For example: "What are you doing this weekend? Anything nice?"

7 LATER vs LATTER :
Later is an adverb. It's used to express time, either in the future or after the time you have mentioned.
For example: "I'll see you later on Second Life."
Latter is an adjectiv, which means near or towards the end of something
For example: "I got tired during the latter part of the walk."
!
Latter can also be used to describe the second thing of two things mentioned.

8 RAISE vs RISE :
When used as a verb they both have the same general meaning of "to move upwards", the main difference is that rise is an intransitive verb (it does not take an object), while raise is a transitive verb (it requires an object):
As you can see from the examples below; nobody pushes up the sun, whereas Lynne moved her hand upwards.
rise (v) Something rises by itself
The sun rises in the east.
The chairman always rises to the occasion.
I will rise tomorrow morning at 6 a.m. to walk the dog.
Rise is an irregular verb: rise / rose / risen
raise (v) Something else is needed to raise something.
Lynne raised her hand.
They can't raise the Titanic.
Raise is a regular verb: raise / raised / raised
As a noun rise describes an upward movement.
There was a steep rise in drug-related crimes.
As a noun raise describes an increase in salary.
For example: When people ask for a
raise , they often go about it in an entirely wrong way.
!Note - you can raise children, which means to look after them as they grow up.
!Note - sometimes people ask for a pay rise.

9. MORAL vs MORALE :
Moral as a noun or an adjective, which is used to describe standards of good or bad character and behaviour. It can also be used to describe a kind of story that tells you how you should or should not behave.
Wilde was condemned by his critics for writing an "immoral" book; he claimed it was a very moral work.
Morale is a noun that describes the amount of confidence felt by a person or group of people, especially when in a dangerous or difficult situation.
For example:
During the second world war lipstick was kept in production in the UK because of its effect on morale.

10 PRECEDE vs PROCEED :
Precede is a verb that means to be or to go before something or someone in time or space.
For example: Ecological extinction caused by overfishing precedes other human disturbance to coastal ecosystems.
Proceed is a verb that means to continue as planned.
For example: The government has decided not to proceed with the legislation.

95 Likes 16 Shares

Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by olatunjithomas(m): 2:00pm On May 24, 2016
I believed God for a nice take home from ñairaland today. I think this is worth one.

18 Likes

Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by lekjons(m): 2:53pm On May 24, 2016
op, these ones're simple na..

i think you should start with "I'M" and "AM"..

the way people use them disgusts me..gringrin

73 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by Apelex(m): 2:53pm On May 24, 2016
Was expecting something better.there is nothing confusing here undecided cry

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by Akshow: 2:53pm On May 24, 2016
Thanks
Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by EduRegard: 2:54pm On May 24, 2016
Nice One/

Even though English Language is not out Mother Toungue, that why at times [url=eduregard.com/why-english-language-is-so-hard-picture-illustration/]English Language Seems So Hard[/url].

But OP already mentioned some of our mistakes and confusions which if all well mastererd might improve our English speaking prowess.

Meanwhile : We might also want to check out [url=eduregard.com/will-or-would-usage-as-a-bone-of-contention/]The Difference Between Will And Would[/url].

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by Roon9(m): 2:55pm On May 24, 2016
fp dey weeeeep
Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by OboOlora(f): 2:55pm On May 24, 2016
Niceeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by mystockyear: 2:55pm On May 24, 2016
ok
Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by boladapo(f): 2:55pm On May 24, 2016
Dats English 4 u. Very difficult and confusing language

1 Like

Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by AngelAhnie(f): 2:56pm On May 24, 2016
Nice one
Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by holluwai(m): 2:56pm On May 24, 2016
Nobody will confuse APC for PDP....never

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by Adekorya: 2:57pm On May 24, 2016
English sha, but we don't have option than to master it because it's our official language.

1 Like

Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by modath(f): 2:58pm On May 24, 2016
Apelex:
Was expecting something better.there is nothing confusing here undecided cry

Seems you don't know the multitude of educated illiterates bumbling around...

The types that don't know the difference between we're and were, order and other or there and their, who don't know AM should never begin a sentence...

3 Likes

Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by cozy7(m): 2:58pm On May 24, 2016
Op, no vex, where u dey work? Nah our economy dey affect our grammar.

1 Like

Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by SKAMM(m): 2:59pm On May 24, 2016
Nice but this is not for me.
Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by lordsharks(m): 3:00pm On May 24, 2016
these are really mistaken
Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by Leiman100(m): 3:00pm On May 24, 2016
This thread made a lot of sense

1 Like

Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by Bobbysmart6(m): 3:00pm On May 24, 2016
Wow.it educative
Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by Nobody: 3:00pm On May 24, 2016
What about elect and erect grin
Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by banom(m): 3:02pm On May 24, 2016
Wow finally I am FTC for the first time on nairaland
Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by Biafra101: 3:02pm On May 24, 2016
Not at this level...... To me though
Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by khalids: 3:03pm On May 24, 2016
The only English words that confuses me are "as" and "has". I know what they mean and when they are suppose to be used, but my brain just gets it twisted. I actually have to pause before deciding which one to use...It just does not come naturally to me...

Does anyone have a simple trick to keep this in check

1 Like

Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by Nobody: 3:03pm On May 24, 2016
grin grin grin

9 Likes

Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by SAMBATLAN(m): 3:04pm On May 24, 2016
okkk
Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by lanxlot(m): 3:04pm On May 24, 2016
This LATTER government that PRECEDED GEJ'S govt is sumtin else. Instead of Buhari to RISE to the occasion, what did he do? He RAISED the price of fuel. As a consequence, WEEKEND and HOLIDAYS av becum boring as pple find it hard 2 power generators. I MOURN when I hear some pple COMPLIMENT this administration of hardship, wait, when they sit in COUNCIL, does Buhari ever take COUNSEL? prices of goods have skyrocketed, the little u earn these days wud buy u lesser quantities of commodities, this may lead to a decline in MORALE of workers... Buhari, learn MORALS. grin

57 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by rawtouch: 3:04pm On May 24, 2016
Grammar
Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by lanxlot(m): 3:05pm On May 24, 2016
khalids:
The only English words that confuses me are "as" and "has". I know what they mean and when they are suppose to be used, but my brain just gets it twisted. I actually have to pause before deciding which one to use...It just does not come naturally to me...

Does anyone have a simple trick to keep this in check
plus would, could and will grin

Simple trick...try as much as u can 2 keep ur mouth shut undecided

2 Likes

Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by emmyw(m): 3:05pm On May 24, 2016
Ok
Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by Billiondoe: 3:06pm On May 24, 2016
ANY ADULT THAT CONFUSES THOSE WORDS SHOULD GO BACK TO KINDERGARTEN grin shocked cheesy

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by Oluwaxhango(m): 3:08pm On May 24, 2016
lekjons:
op, these ones're simple na..

i think you should start with "I'M" and "AM"..

the way people use them disgusts me..gringrin
Give us an example pls..
Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by Nobody: 3:10pm On May 24, 2016
Keneking:
What about elect and erect grin
....... grin grin grin

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Pupils Make Dresses With Needle And Thread (Photos) / Phebean Ajibola Ogundipe Dies At 92 / Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.