Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,112 members, 7,814,902 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:44 PM

What Was The First Thing You Learned To Cook? - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What Was The First Thing You Learned To Cook? (14902 Views)

Guys That Can Cook Can Relate To These Photos / Name One Thing You Don't Eat / 7 Amazing Benefits Of Drinking Water First Thing In The Morning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Was The First Thing You Learned To Cook? by bqlekan(m): 5:24pm On May 26, 2016
charijee:
I only put one and two together to know you're stubborn grin....hehehe my ears are itching, what's the secret....pls don't do it my way
One and two together? Damn! I've not been careful enough grin about the secret, I will tell in due time cheesy
Re: What Was The First Thing You Learned To Cook? by charijee(f): 5:30pm On May 26, 2016
bqlekan:

One and two together? Damn! I've not been careful enough grin about the secret, I will tell in due timecheesy
I hate this cry cry cry
Re: What Was The First Thing You Learned To Cook? by bqlekan(m): 5:32pm On May 26, 2016
charijee:
I hate this cry cry cry
Remember to hate nothing/no one.. And smile always.. Oya change that face... I don't like it cheesy
Re: What Was The First Thing You Learned To Cook? by charijee(f): 5:40pm On May 26, 2016
bqlekan:

Remember to hate nothing/no one.. And smile always.. Oya change that face... I don't like it cheesy
I'll change the face on one condition cry cry cry
Re: What Was The First Thing You Learned To Cook? by bqlekan(m): 5:43pm On May 26, 2016
charijee:
I'll change the face on one condition cry cry cry
Not on the condition that I promise to tell you the secret now.. Any other condition is welcomed.. cheesy
Re: What Was The First Thing You Learned To Cook? by charijee(f): 5:50pm On May 26, 2016
bqlekan:

Not on the condition that I promise to tell you the secret now.. Any other condition is welcomed.. cheesy
Since you've decided not to tell, I've equally decided not to change my face cry cry cry cry cry
Re: What Was The First Thing You Learned To Cook? by bqlekan(m): 5:54pm On May 26, 2016
charijee:
Since you've decided not to tell, I've equally decided not to change my face cry cry cry cry cry
since you've decided not to change this face, I also will assume this face throughout the day. All my post will carry it as a tag.. cry cry
Re: What Was The First Thing You Learned To Cook? by charijee(f): 6:23pm On May 26, 2016
bqlekan:
since you've decided not to change this face, I also will assume this face throughout the day. All my post will carry it as a tag.. cry cry

You can't be doing this with me na ..... Decision aborted grin
Re: What Was The First Thing You Learned To Cook? by bqlekan(m): 6:29pm On May 26, 2016
charijee:
You can't be doing this with me na ..... Decision aborted grin

Thanks.. I'm happy now grin hehe....
Re: What Was The First Thing You Learned To Cook? by daveP(m): 7:07pm On May 26, 2016
mine should be pakere. we had lots of plantain in our store monthly and one month like that, my parents weren't around.

Having seen how it was done, I told my Bros that I would fry for them all. they sat and watch TV while I went to the kitchen and used a stool to at least get taller than the electric cooker.

1st batch, I sent to them, 2nd, 3rd,......nth. until I couldn't even eat mine again(blame the makin-touch' habit i.e I eat while I fry. uhmm) embarassed

My siblings pounced on my mountain size share, soaked garium while I looked on.

when I slept that night, I now understood why mumc always didn't eat immediately after cooking; Aroma alone can make you filled up.

but that of rice, then pounded yam and egusi(dad) was more fun sha. That's when I became the Gustavo.

cc: Charijee, Sleekyshuga

1 Like

Re: What Was The First Thing You Learned To Cook? by charijee(f): 8:28pm On May 26, 2016
Lol @ daveP grin...so you're among the eat-while-cooking crew, ..guess the whole plantain was burnt as well grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Was The First Thing You Learned To Cook? by Sleekyshuga(f): 8:13am On May 27, 2016
@ DaveP, the first meal I learnt how to prepare is beans and rice grin, and I was 6 years old.. I used to watch my mum select the beans, put it on fire, and the rice follows (so, I thought embarassed)..

One day, we came back from school, very hungry with only stew at home.. My dad traveled while my mum went for her business.. I resorted to cooking for myself, and siblings.. I got beans, selected and washed it.. I went for rice, washed it, and immediately mixed it with the beans, added a drum of salt, and placed it on fire to cook cheesy..

Omo!! Rice don dey soft while beans still hard like stone cry.. I was wondering if I had done anything wrongly.. To me, everything was right.. I patiently waited, reassuring my siblings that we would soon eat cheesy.. Even our maid then told me I was supposed to allow the beans cook first before adding the rice..

What did she know undecided? My mum cooks better jare, and she adds both together (so my childish heart told me) cheesy..

We finally ate the salt soaked marshy rice, with beans slightly cooked together with the stew grin cheesy..

Did my siblings complain? I really can't tell, though my mum corrected me when she came back in the evening..

Now? My beans and rice game is top notch cheesy..

About getting filled while cooking? TRUE grin.. No matter how hungry I am, after cooking, I do not eat immediately as the aroma would have filled my stomach..

Cc:
Skarlett
Laveda
Amicable09....., come and confess cheesy..

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Was The First Thing You Learned To Cook? by amicable09(f): 12:59pm On May 27, 2016
Lol. Sleekyshuga, you got me laughing with your first time experience in the kitchen.
But age 6? shocked
Mba Mba! My dad is a top chef wink who never allowed us go close to fire cheesy. My aunties then used to tease us (my sisters and I) cos I didn't even know how to light a stove after primary school lipsrsealed, it was bad.

But by secondary school, I had started feeling bad when my friends talked about things they could cook, I couldn't even boast of lighting a stove not to talk of boiling water. So, one fateful afternoon, I took the bull by the horn grin and cooked a disastrous meal that I threw away before anyone returned. Lol

My friends told me preparing jollof rice is the easiest thing to cook. I believed them and they gave me the recipe. But the bad thing was, since we weren't allowed to cook, I couldn't touch my mum's tinned tomatoes and other ingredients and I didn't want anyone to know that I attempted burning down the house so I saved my lunch money for days, just to carry out that mission. In place of tomatoes, I used that Onga tomatoes seasoning... Boy! The rice was PINK!!!! grin like I added color to it angry and I was feeling myself cheesy. My head was swelling as I stirred the pot every 5-10 mins for no reason, I just liked what I was doing.

Few minutes later, water and onions was floating over the rice, the pot was burning, the rice was still as hard as stone and I was confused. Out of disappointment and fear that I may be caught, I brought down the pot, tasted it- Zero! Lol... Quickly scrapped everything out and washed off the pot before taking my position innocently as a good girl with my assignments spread on the table tongue

Somehow, till this day, I hate to cook Jollof rice cos the memory of that 'Onga' rice is still fresh in my head. sad

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Was The First Thing You Learned To Cook? by Sleekyshuga(f): 1:38pm On May 27, 2016
@ amicable09, Chai cheesy! Chai cheesy!! You got me ROTFL... Are you for real grin? I was a don already in secondary school wink.. My only issue with cooking is laziness (maybe cos I have a younger sister who likes the kitchen)..

Pink rice indeed cheesy.. God knows how much I hate that Onga.. The color is so fake undecided.. Thank God we weren't introduced to much packed spices.. We go natural in my house; ginger, garlic, crayfish, nutmeg, ehure, etc.. You will pound or blend them cheesy.. It was in school I started going for packed stuffs wink..

Yea @ 6 years.. I was particular about that age cos I know classmates who told me I was lying undecided.. I have always loved adventure & trying my hands on anything I can.. My mum used to have a restaurant, so I had no choice than to learn very fast, though we always had stew or soup at home smiley.. So, it's either I am boiling yam, rice, spaghetti, beans grin, making eba etc..

P.S: My first stew ever was an eyesore cheesy.. My dad still taunts me with that..

1 Like

Re: What Was The First Thing You Learned To Cook? by daveP(m): 2:12pm On May 27, 2016
charijee:
Lol @ daveP grin...so you're among the eat-while-cooking crew, ..guess the whole plantain was burnt as well grin
See dem bad belle o.

me burnt offering. nah. lol

none of them was burnt. twas okay. no blame me now, Wetin small boy wey dey in control go dey do? dey look the plantain? shocked
Re: What Was The First Thing You Learned To Cook? by daveP(m): 2:14pm On May 27, 2016
Sleekyshuga:
@ DaveP, the first meal I learnt how to prepare is beans and rice grin, and I was 6 years old.. I used to watch my mum select the beans, put it on fire, and the rice follows (so, I thought embarassed)..

One day, we came back from school, very hungry with only stew at home.. My dad traveled while my mum went for her business.. I resorted to cooking for myself, and siblings.. I got beans, selected and washed it.. I went for rice, washed it, and immediately mixed it with the beans, added a drum of salt, and placed it on fire to cook cheesy..

Omo!! Rice don dey soft while beans still hard like stone cry.. I was wondering if I had done anything wrongly.. To me, everything was right.. I patiently waited, reassuring my siblings that we would soon eat cheesy.. Even our maid then told me I was supposed to allow the beans cook first before adding the rice..

What did she know undecided? My mum cooks better jare, and she adds both together (so my childish heart told me) cheesy..

We finally ate the salt soaked marshy rice, with beans slightly cooked together with the stew grin cheesy..

Did my siblings complain? I really can't tell, though my mum corrected me when she came back in the evening..

Now? My beans and rice game is top notch cheesy..

About getting filled while cooking? TRUE grin.. No matter how hungry I am, after cooking, I do not eat immediately as the aroma would have filled my stomach..

Cc:
Skarlett
Laveda
Amicable09....., come and confess cheesy..
on this rice, bean issue, you aren't alone
Re: What Was The First Thing You Learned To Cook? by amicable09(f): 3:06pm On May 27, 2016
Sleekyshuga:
@ amicable09, Chai cheesy! Chai cheesy!! You got me ROTFL... Are you for real grin? I was a don already in secondary school wink.. My only issue with cooking is laziness (maybe cos I have a younger sister who likes the kitchen)..

Pink rice indeed cheesy.. God knows how much I hate that Onga.. The color is so fake undecided.. Thank God we weren't introduced to much packed spices.. We go natural in my house; ginger, garlic, crayfish, nutmeg, ehure, etc.. You will pound or blend them cheesy.. It was in school I started going for packed stuffs wink..

Yea @ 6 years.. I was particular about that age cos I know classmates who told me I was lying undecided.. I have always loved adventure & trying my hands on anything I can.. My mum used to have a restaurant, so I had no choice than to learn very fast, though we always had stew or soup at home smiley.. So, it's either I am boiling yam, rice, spaghetti, beans grin, making eba etc..

P.S: My first stew ever was an eyesore cheesy.. My dad still taunts me with that..
Lol... I'm a don now o, don't try me tongue

But really, my dad almost spoiled us. For him, it was book, book, book. My mum cooks, he does too, we just ate and I loved it then until the jesting started making me feel embarrassed. So, I had to help myself.

Yea, natural spices rock! We never had such packaged stuff in our house then, even pepper was ground in mortar, nothing like buying already ground dry pepper and storing it but for that day, I had to resort to using the recommended Onga and ever since then, I've never again priced that seasoning in the market. The colour is an apology for jollof... Lol.

My first stew? Lol, Let's not even go there grin grin grin
I will never forget that day! Remembering it alone is making me laugh. My brother after eating that rice and stew gave a funny speech as my dad was fuming in anger at my 'boiled' stew... Lol, he ended by saying "as long as this stew doesn't kill us, we are never going to die by spoon" cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Was The First Thing You Learned To Cook? by udysweet(f): 6:16pm On May 27, 2016
Okro soup
Re: What Was The First Thing You Learned To Cook? by Keketu(m): 10:05pm On May 27, 2016
prettythicksme:
Nobody teach me how to cook
hello lady
Re: What Was The First Thing You Learned To Cook? by Codes151(m): 10:05pm On May 27, 2016
This rubbish hit fb
Re: What Was The First Thing You Learned To Cook? by Nobody: 10:08pm On May 27, 2016
Mine was draw, my favourites soup. I keep on assitin my mum for years b4 she allowed me to cook one day and my cooks wow.
Re: What Was The First Thing You Learned To Cook? by banmee(m): 10:10pm On May 27, 2016
Mine was rice concontion. Now I am a master chef. You can check me out on the food section. grin
Re: What Was The First Thing You Learned To Cook? by brajy(m): 10:11pm On May 27, 2016
rice and stew
Re: What Was The First Thing You Learned To Cook? by banmee(m): 10:12pm On May 27, 2016
Codes151:
This rubbish hit fb

It's a legitimate thread. Way better than those top 10 crap we keep seeing on fp. Just because you can't cook doesn't mean you should take it out on every one else.
Re: What Was The First Thing You Learned To Cook? by UuzbaGuuzba: 10:13pm On May 27, 2016
I learnt how to bake a cake, fry pancakes, make puff-puff, meat pies, cook rice, make stew, boil beans without oil. Bean with oil.

I learnt all this about age 10.

I spent the age 0-10 watching mum and Elder sister cook. Once Sis went to boarding house, the kitchen was mine everyday till mum and dad returned from work.

olodos of today cannot cook.
Mumu.

I AM A GUY
Re: What Was The First Thing You Learned To Cook? by otodeluxe(m): 10:15pm On May 27, 2016
Egg soup. I never liked going to the kitchen so trust me my first meal was full of shits
Re: What Was The First Thing You Learned To Cook? by Nobody: 10:16pm On May 27, 2016
jollof rice. the end product was a salt pond
Re: What Was The First Thing You Learned To Cook? by raobaale(m): 10:17pm On May 27, 2016
2 minute
Re: What Was The First Thing You Learned To Cook? by Nobody: 10:22pm On May 27, 2016
Rice!
Re: What Was The First Thing You Learned To Cook? by manutdrichie(m): 10:26pm On May 27, 2016
Julietcutie:
jollof rice

Nwanyiocha
Re: What Was The First Thing You Learned To Cook? by frisky2good(m): 10:27pm On May 27, 2016
Obe ata
Re: What Was The First Thing You Learned To Cook? by franceswasky: 10:29pm On May 27, 2016
it shud be blw jollof rice and porridge yam

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Bread Prices Rise 25 Percent On Input Cost / What's Your First Meal Of The Year / How My Childs Birthday Was Ruined By D'xplorer Cakes Gbagada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.