Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,047 members, 7,825,335 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 11:58 AM

The Hardest Thing She Went Through In Life - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Hardest Thing She Went Through In Life (823 Views)

She Went On A Journey, Now She's Back, I Can't Satisfy Her Sexually Again. / Laye Ajube, The Mother Of The 10 Children Whose Photo Went Viral / 117-Year-Old Grandma Whose Photos Went Viral Dies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Hardest Thing She Went Through In Life by VocalWalls: 9:53pm On May 25, 2016

I was repeatedly raped by a neighbor when I was 7 years old. I didn't want my mother to find out, because she was a single mother working 3 jobs to support me and my brother and she cried enough as it was. We lived in a trailer that had holes in the floor so that sometimes raccoons and opossums would climb through. I was scared of them. The carpet was infested with fleas. I usually had flea bites all over my body. I never felt clean. We got clothes from Goodwill but they were usually old, faded, and stained. My mother did the best she could but we were all alone in the world. We lived in a rural area that was unforgiving of those who deviated from "the norm." My mother tried to baptize me when I was a baby, only to be turned away by the local preacher because I was "a bastard." We were not welcome in their churches, which were an important part of rural life there. I didn't have friends at school. I was "weird" "dirty" "ugly" "too quiet" etc. Even most of the teachers looked at me and my brother in disgust. We were "the Bleep family."

I grew up with the understanding that I was worthless. That I should be ashamed of who I am. I barely said a word through most of my childhood. I didn't say a word to anyone when they pushed me around, taunted me endlessly, beat up my brother and I. I never said a word when my neighbor (who, interestingly, was widely regarded as an outstanding member of society) raped me.

I led a very solitary life. My mother was usually gone at work, my brother would devote himself to his own activities, and there I was. I remember I would sit outside of my home and pretend to be a rock, because rocks didn't feel anything and they certainly didn't cry. They were indestructible, I thought.

I overheard one of the other little girls discussing the prayer they said before bedtime and I resolved to remember it. It went like this - As I lay down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep, if I shall die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

I thought about this prayer for the rest of the day, until I went home and decided on my own version: Dear God, I don't want to live anymore. There are other people begging you to keep them alive. Let me take their place. I'll die. I was about 8 years old.

But I didn't die, much to my dismay. I woke up the next day, and the day after that, and the day after that. The days went by. My situation didn't greatly improve, people weren't much nicer to me, and my life didn't get easier. But I got stronger. I discovered books as a way to escape from my tedious existence and by the time I was in 5th grade, I was reading at a college level.

I grew up and gained control over my life. I was no longer the defenseless, powerless victim I had been as a child. I had power. I could do whatever I wanted. I got a job. I studied hard so I could go to a good college. I escaped from my small, unforgiving town.

I have a good job now and good relationships. People who know me now would never guess I was once that hungry, miserable, terrified, beaten down little girl I had been back then.

As for my family, my mother still lives in that trailer. My neighbor is long dead. My older brother still lives with my mother. He has never gotten a driver's license or a job. He doesn't leave the house very often. A part of me understands his reluctance - why let the world do you more harm when it has already done so much? But I wish he would take the chance. I feel sad that our childhood all but destroyed him.

If you want to know how to get through hard things, my answer is probably inadequate, but it is the best I have to offer. My answer is: keep going.

1 Like

Re: The Hardest Thing She Went Through In Life by VocalWalls: 9:54pm On May 25, 2016
Re: The Hardest Thing She Went Through In Life by Isaacmacdon(m): 10:10pm On May 25, 2016
Definitely a fp material.. I just hope d mods see this!
Re: The Hardest Thing She Went Through In Life by klassykute(m): 10:12pm On May 25, 2016
unbalanced LIFE
Re: The Hardest Thing She Went Through In Life by Swissheart(f): 10:22pm On May 25, 2016
What a life!
Re: The Hardest Thing She Went Through In Life by babyme1(f): 10:26pm On May 25, 2016
Why is Mother still living in the flea infested trailer after ur success? cry
Re: The Hardest Thing She Went Through In Life by cana882(m): 10:40pm On May 25, 2016
babyme1:
I taya oh.. same question I was about asking.
Re: The Hardest Thing She Went Through In Life by Alexk2(m): 11:05pm On May 25, 2016
So true; keep going!
... If y I you're going through hell, don't stop.. Keep going!
Re: The Hardest Thing She Went Through In Life by Nyceguy92: 3:14am On May 26, 2016
[quote author=VocalWalls post=45969392][/quote]

I am happy for you.
But the question I will join others to ask is why is your mother still living in the same place?
Now that you have a job, one would expect you relocate your mom and brother to a better space.

Since you now work, your mom can slow down , maybe, to one job. Pool your income and live within your means.
Also, now that you have known the secret to liberation, you should work on your brother.
I think he needs somebody to motivate him, to reassure him that he can become whatever he wants to be.

There are two parts to your story:
The first part is what you have just told here.
The second part, which we expect to hear, is what happened to your mom and brother in the next year or two.

Good luck.
Re: The Hardest Thing She Went Through In Life by Nobody: 6:32am On May 26, 2016
Beautiful story.
Re: The Hardest Thing She Went Through In Life by treasuredkids(f): 8:23am On May 26, 2016
Exactly my thought
babyme1:

(1) (Reply)

Monster Python Makes Terrifying Morning Visit To Woman's House / All aspect of Cleaning , We Clean Everything Except Your Pocket, / Poverty-stricken Boys Find £2,000 In Pockets Of Donated Jeans And This Happened

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.