Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,334 members, 7,819,151 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:00 PM

THROWBACK : 8 Things You Can Clearly Relate To If You Attended A Boarding Schoo - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / THROWBACK : 8 Things You Can Clearly Relate To If You Attended A Boarding Schoo (21875 Views)

Pictures You Can Relate To If You Attended Government Schools In The 90s. / Can A Student Run Two Different Undergraduate Programmes In Two Different Schoo? / 15 Pictures You Will Relate To If You Attended UNIPORT (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

THROWBACK : 8 Things You Can Clearly Relate To If You Attended A Boarding Schoo by Bbsharon(f): 12:15am On May 26, 2016
My Experience.

1: First day Impression ;
This is always very deceptive as you will be fascinated by the big compound,lawns and trees around. Then the beautiful surroundings too especially the administrative block. My school then took their own deception to the highest level by making your seniors Carry your loads to the hostel for you without complains. This will make your parents feel like you are in safe hand and you won't be bullied. I was baffled and felt relax not until I asked one of them her name and she said "senior Tosin" I wondered what the senior have to do with her name,so I "Tosin nice to meet you" they all stope all of a sudden and gave me a very stern look but didnt say anything. I realised later that some student can take the senior ish so personal that you would never in your dreams want to make the mistake again if not you would be slapped to your senses.

2 : Punctuality ;
This was as important as remembering your Reg no those days. Waking up very early was a disaster for me then because back in primary school my mom woukd wake me when everything was ready and I only had to have my bath eat and go to school so adopting to the new life was hell for me. Many times I was woken up by the hostel prefect shouts or house mistress cain. And the the fear of house mistress was the beginning of terror. 5 am was the time then and some annoying peeps would not just allows us even wake that 5am. Some would have woken up around 4am and and even earlier than that to quickly go to the tap to fetch water. The noise from the buckets and footsteps would always cut through your sleep. In a boarding school punctuality was key in every thing and it was like we were controlled by time. A minute past Dinning time your food is gone or a minute late to labour ground or Assembly you are so finished. We would rush from the hostel to sweep daily portions and then hurriedly go to class most times on empty stomach or with crumbled cabin biscuits with nutir c in bottle of water to class. Most schools do have breakfast by 10am and at times classes before that time were never Interesting especially the last period before 10. I would always pray for the time to be faster.

3 : Horrible food :
My first day in the dining that was the day I resumed I couldn't get food because I was late it didnt bother me because i was still fresh from home.However I made up my mind to be very punctual the next day. Immediately it was 10 we all walked fast to the dining like we were being pursued but we were obviously still walking but only not normally. You would see some People would suddenly increase their pace all of a sudden .On getting there I got seven with a slice of yam and stew that was mainly full with water and palm oil and that was it. I looked at the plate and shaked my head as I remembered how my mom would always urge me to eat more back at home.All of a sudden I felt like I was in deep poverty as I ate the yam with swollen red eyes. I wanted to cry but I didn't want anyone to see me do it. This I got used to later on as I realised I would never eat good food till I go home. At times it was so bad we would be given beans and is just the weevils you will be seeing with oil or Tea that was as trasparent as a glass mirror. Ar the end of the day garri was always the best option or cabin soaked in tea or water. I drank garrison then till my eyes bulged out and got spoilt the more.

4: Seniority/Bullying ;
It was a terible thing then to be a junior I would cry all day and run to my guardian office telling her to call my mom that I wanted to go back home. She always told me she would call not until visiting day I asked my mom if she ever got my messages and she would say no then I stoped going to complain to her.
The it was like the seniors were small gods that you must not offend or cross their path. Never pray to fall prey to their trap because you will never escape theit wrath.

http://naijaebiz..com.ng/2016/05/8-things-you-can-clearly-relate-with-if.html?m=1

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: THROWBACK : 8 Things You Can Clearly Relate To If You Attended A Boarding Schoo by Bbsharon(f): 12:16am On May 26, 2016
5 : The fearless ones.
They were some student who never mind the school authority and would sneak out at any opportunity through the fence to go to parties and some just to go to buy bread and akara and enjoy fresh air. We knew some of this students but you never dare telling on them...the fear of them making life a miserable hell for you later would scare you to your bones.
Also some that never called anybody senior again right from Ss1 and o one can question them. This set of student were so stubborn that the school was tired of suspending them at a point.

6 : Social/variety Nights/Excursion and Visiting Days.
At the mention of social nights or an excursion all student would explode into celebration like we were going on vacation. This were best moments for me back then when we would dance till we were exhausted and do all sort of things(those who went to mixed school understand better) lol. Leaving the school for an excursion was like escape from prison. Infact then we called my school prison. And on visiting day for your patents not to come for you was like being left alone in a big wide world to suffer. One would cry uncontrollably even seniors. You would be like at least they would have sent some one.

7 : Inspection Day ;
This always happen on Saturdays,we would wake up very early than usual to start thorough clean up of the whole hostels and school compound up to the school gate. And then appear in white uniforms in front of your bunks to be inspected. The neatest house woukd be announced and presented a gift(sweet and biscuit) while the house withe the last position would be punished severely so it was a day we put in our best shots to work for recommendation.

8 : Hunger strike ;
This was always funny and still funny to me anytime I remember the crazy things we did during those moments. A week before visiting day or a week to go home was always terrible with all lockers empty and free of provisions. Long faces everywhere with over prompt attitude to dinning. Dinning was usually filled up before time and you coming at exact time cannot guarantee your food.

http://naijaebiz..com.ng/2016/05/8-things-you-can-clearly-relate-with-if.html?m=1

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: THROWBACK : 8 Things You Can Clearly Relate To If You Attended A Boarding Schoo by amzee(m): 12:19am On May 26, 2016
Somebody should please summarise all this epistle for me.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: THROWBACK : 8 Things You Can Clearly Relate To If You Attended A Boarding Schoo by freakthingz(m): 12:25am On May 26, 2016
^^^
Nigga its not that long damn
Pips are way too impatient these days

10 Likes

Re: THROWBACK : 8 Things You Can Clearly Relate To If You Attended A Boarding Schoo by Cowmilk(m): 7:00am On May 26, 2016
And you expect me to read this long epistle this early morning ....
Was expecting 2 c sm pic brov

Off to work
Will read it wen m bck

1 Like

Re: THROWBACK : 8 Things You Can Clearly Relate To If You Attended A Boarding Schoo by TrollTrap: 7:01am On May 26, 2016
Lol you forgot to add these:

Scaling the fence and going home/going to the market to get more provisions/watch football match

Selling/cooking indomie, rice, spag, yam lol ( cryI miss them days Meehn)

When you call uncle or Aunty or parents to send airtime so you could sell it and use the money. So now you're walking around the hostels in search of a buyergrin

Feigning sickness when it's time for labour lol

Hiding under the bunk during labour

"Taxing" junior students on resumption day or visiting day.

Making your school sons get you something to eat angry

General lashing:the day of reckoning, I always dreaded this day as a junior student. After the lashing Na your body go tell una cry

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: THROWBACK : 8 Things You Can Clearly Relate To If You Attended A Boarding Schoo by justi4jesu(f): 7:01am On May 26, 2016
Memory lane....

1 Like

Re: THROWBACK : 8 Things You Can Clearly Relate To If You Attended A Boarding Schoo by djakinwande(m): 7:02am On May 26, 2016
[size=8pt][/size] grin
Re: THROWBACK : 8 Things You Can Clearly Relate To If You Attended A Boarding Schoo by adebayolukmon(m): 7:03am On May 26, 2016
today na today
Re: THROWBACK : 8 Things You Can Clearly Relate To If You Attended A Boarding Schoo by izuch(m): 7:03am On May 26, 2016
Interesting
Re: THROWBACK : 8 Things You Can Clearly Relate To If You Attended A Boarding Schoo by Exponental(m): 7:04am On May 26, 2016
Personality plays. No perfect rules in life.
Re: THROWBACK : 8 Things You Can Clearly Relate To If You Attended A Boarding Schoo by teepsee(f): 7:04am On May 26, 2016
All this is when you are new and after your first year you will love to go against all the rules.

The fear of my school father won't even allow you to arm me, and my school mother, she provided everything when it comes to feeding. But as the saying goes good things never last. You can imagine what I passed through when they passed out. Jahi those seniors has no joy

2 Likes

Re: THROWBACK : 8 Things You Can Clearly Relate To If You Attended A Boarding Schoo by Mayany(m): 7:04am On May 26, 2016
I still can't forget the hot slap I received from a snr in my first bay in boarding school
Re: THROWBACK : 8 Things You Can Clearly Relate To If You Attended A Boarding Schoo by OlujobaSamuel: 7:04am On May 26, 2016
I will be back. Unity School Ikire on my mind.
modified

hmmmmmmmm, 1 & 2 no dey applicable to me, it's a boys only school, a senior can only tell a junior close by to help you, we no dey do follow follow things. on punctuality, na only when you never smart, I hardly go to assembly, only classroom, except one junior student(mostly ss2&1) don offend ss3 student, we don't wake at official time(4:30am), our waking time na 6am, if dey ring bell for devotion at 5:45am but if you are too tired, sleep on, sha no try am the day flogging masquerade go dey do show.
I remember been beaten by one Senior Unabikwe(Not sure of the spelling), the guy think sey I don die, but me too show my talent from jss2 through ss3, I don't think twice in beating junior especially if you are the type wey dey form. I don beat person because he look me with one kind eye.
I never seized a student substance but alot do such, no student also washed my wears, but you can fetch water for fire service if I descend on you.
I washed the cloth of one Senior Olayemi, the guy na bed wetter, yet he no go give you soap to do the washing, and not the hostel no be mine, na my friend hostel, na so we used only water rinsed his clothes return am back, that was the last time we washed ooo.
we don't go on hunger strike, but we do protest by not going to class, mostly due to lack of water(faulty borehole), when you see all students on towel, you know sey gbege wan burst.
as a ss3 students then, you are immune from teacher's cain(atori), I go just waka commot if teaser wan show talent, but some d3y wey we fear, but they too no dey fall hand.
you dare not watch the fight of a senior of any class, even if such is fighting with your class mate, just go hide, don't watch that fight.
I pass jungle a lot, gate dey to far to dey waka, so jungle is just close by and you need no permission, just pray no one come visiting, or Mr Kareem and Mr Mayor no sight you for town, na gbege be dat. Mr Kareem once asked some students to jog ahead of his car, while he drive behind them.
I love my USI, if you no sharp after passing through that school(don't know about now), you no fit sharp again, your President Buhari na world class.
modified
this mod abi na robot na something else oo
wetin be my business with pmb, I wrote dholadinho, he convert am to pmb, shey pmb know unity school ikire?

5 Likes

Re: THROWBACK : 8 Things You Can Clearly Relate To If You Attended A Boarding Schoo by Firefire(m): 7:04am On May 26, 2016
Oh, the Great Omore River... On the height of Otadu Rocks tongue

1 Like

Re: THROWBACK : 8 Things You Can Clearly Relate To If You Attended A Boarding Schoo by purpledferanmi1: 7:05am On May 26, 2016
this reminds me of my day in command ipaja, the first week was sweet the second week was great make i no talk sonething bad.
Re: THROWBACK : 8 Things You Can Clearly Relate To If You Attended A Boarding Schoo by eitsei(m): 7:06am On May 26, 2016
I can't relate with any of them I didn't attend boarding school.
Re: THROWBACK : 8 Things You Can Clearly Relate To If You Attended A Boarding Schoo by ishowdotgmail(m): 7:07am On May 26, 2016
Well here in Aamerican boarding is quite different cos I didn't school in this goddam country men!
Re: THROWBACK : 8 Things You Can Clearly Relate To If You Attended A Boarding Schoo by ishowdotgmail(m): 7:07am On May 26, 2016
R
Re: THROWBACK : 8 Things You Can Clearly Relate To If You Attended A Boarding Schoo by TrollTrap: 7:10am On May 26, 2016
ishowdotgmail:
Well here in Aamerican boarding is quite different cos I didn't school in this goddam country men!
You missed out fam
Re: THROWBACK : 8 Things You Can Clearly Relate To If You Attended A Boarding Schoo by apoti(m): 7:10am On May 26, 2016
smiley
Re: THROWBACK : 8 Things You Can Clearly Relate To If You Attended A Boarding Schoo by mohisd(m): 7:11am On May 26, 2016
Old memory's... nice write. Up
Re: THROWBACK : 8 Things You Can Clearly Relate To If You Attended A Boarding Schoo by Nobody: 7:13am On May 26, 2016
(9)Student Thieves: These are the type of students that steal Provisions, cream, clothes and even phones

(10)Bed Wetters: These are they type that secretly wee on their bed when sleeping.

(11)Sleep Talking (Maybe Sonnambulism): These type of students talk in their sleep. They are quite scary to see...

4 Likes

Re: THROWBACK : 8 Things You Can Clearly Relate To If You Attended A Boarding Schoo by OLUJOSHINS(m): 7:15am On May 26, 2016
wink OOOOO PPPPPP wink
Bbsharon:

This were best moments for me back then when we would dance till we were exhausted and do all sort of things.

But wait ooooo, U no put Madam koin koin for Ur story naa

& no issue of spiritual/possessed kids?

2 Likes

Re: THROWBACK : 8 Things You Can Clearly Relate To If You Attended A Boarding Schoo by queenfav(f): 7:16am On May 26, 2016
Lol..i can relate..My child can never attend a boarding school.My experience was hell,always falling sick...I recieved the first slap in my life in Js2,FGC warri.For 2 mins it was as if there was blackout.I told my mum abt it when she visited, she sent someone to call d senior,one yeye ss2 girl.As she greeted my mum,na 2 slaps in quick succession on her both cheeks my mama take respond..I was happy,yet scared of what would happen to me..I was like, this woman don sign my death warrant ooo.Abi na my provisions?Most times i would get to the hostel and find my locker jacked.The person would help herself to my sardine,biscuits and other things she wants.I was always crying then.Finally,my mum just drove down one day and took me home to become a day student,before i die there of depression.

11 Likes

Re: THROWBACK : 8 Things You Can Clearly Relate To If You Attended A Boarding Schoo by dauntless15(m): 7:17am On May 26, 2016
why the hell cant i relate to any of this?

oooh i remember i didn't goto a boarding school
Re: THROWBACK : 8 Things You Can Clearly Relate To If You Attended A Boarding Schoo by fippycbk(m): 7:20am On May 26, 2016
Well, the boarding school I attended, it was a sin to add senior before mentioning the person's name. Call him by his name, Nickname even better but never the Surname.

FGC Enugu.

1 Like

Re: THROWBACK : 8 Things You Can Clearly Relate To If You Attended A Boarding Schoo by hollypons(f): 7:21am On May 26, 2016
Only in Nigeria
Re: THROWBACK : 8 Things You Can Clearly Relate To If You Attended A Boarding Schoo by PlayerMeji: 7:24am On May 26, 2016
Unity Secondary School, Ode-Aye, Ondo State
Unity School, Ahgbaro, Delta State

I feel thee!!!!
Re: THROWBACK : 8 Things You Can Clearly Relate To If You Attended A Boarding Schoo by Perfecttouch(m): 7:24am On May 26, 2016
I still say it,if you attended FGC IBILLO 1995-2002,nothing thrown at u in this world will affect u.i still say it, after soldiers,fear FGC IBILLO boys

1 Like

Re: THROWBACK : 8 Things You Can Clearly Relate To If You Attended A Boarding Schoo by soos: 7:24am On May 26, 2016
grin
I tell shuuuu.
No even try am in public secondary school oooo.
I no wat I've experience in my school that's located in bashorun ibadan (st. Patrick grammar school)
Re: THROWBACK : 8 Things You Can Clearly Relate To If You Attended A Boarding Schoo by benjamin007: 7:25am On May 26, 2016
i dont care

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

LASU Announces Screening Exercise. To Admit Only First Choice Candidates / 2013/2014 Unilag Foundation Programme / 60-Year-Old Man Writing SSCE In Somalia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.