Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,619 members, 7,823,707 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:42 PM

Dialectics Or How To Debate (very Important For Both Theists And Non-theist) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Dialectics Or How To Debate (very Important For Both Theists And Non-theist) (735 Views)

Why Theists And Deists Can't Tell Us "God Wasn't Created".. / Peaceful Debate Between Theists And Atheists Holds Here / Dialectics Of Violence And Morality (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dialectics Or How To Debate (very Important For Both Theists And Non-theist) by Nobody: 1:37pm On May 26, 2016
Very often we find ourselves involved in one form of argument or another and don't think about how we should present our case. Instead of taking out time to think, we go all attack since we feel we know what we are saying. Sadly, this is a terrible thing because it kills the argument...and most importantly, you would have failed to get your message across to your opponent. I've seen a good number of threads (with solid and quality topics), that would have been of great to help to the members of this forum and even lurkers, derailed as a result of terrible arguments. So to help us improve on It, I present the following principles:
Note: I'm not presenting them as laws or rules or as 'thou shalls'...instead am presenting them as a form of prescription.
1. Know your position very well to the best of your ability.
2. Also, try to know as much as you can about your opponent's position.
3. Make sure you two agree on what you're debating on i.e the terms of the argument should be outlined and defined clearly to the satisfaction of both opposing parties.
Will update as time goes on.
Re: Dialectics Or How To Debate (very Important For Both Theists And Non-theist) by Nobody: 9:49pm On May 26, 2016
Yeah, you're right...

Most of these arguments seen here nowadays are all the "counterarguments" and "proofs" like

who started the big bang? Or who created god?

And stuff......

By the way,

may I know your Religious Philosophy??
Re: Dialectics Or How To Debate (very Important For Both Theists And Non-theist) by Nobody: 10:40pm On May 26, 2016
SirWere:
Yeah, you're right...

Most of these arguments seen here nowadays are all the "counterarguments" and "proofs" like

who started the big bang? Or who created god?

And stuff......

By the way,

may I know your Religious Philosophy??
Honestly I've got none. I'm an existentialist.
Re: Dialectics Or How To Debate (very Important For Both Theists And Non-theist) by Nobody: 11:01pm On May 26, 2016
Julianyao:
Honestly I've got none. I'm an existentialist.
That's quite a harsh? viewpoint of life
How, if I may ask, did you get started on this philosophy??
Re: Dialectics Or How To Debate (very Important For Both Theists And Non-theist) by Nobody: 11:34pm On May 26, 2016
SirWere:

That's quite a harsh? viewpoint of life

How, if I may ask, did you get started on this philosophy??
I read books. That's all I can say.
To save you more questions, I'll just tell you a few things about me.
I'm an eccentric individual; Never really fit into the society since I became conscious of my existence. Also I'm a Sunday school teacher of a church. Family is religious and I'm kind of trapped in there; although that will end very soon.
Re: Dialectics Or How To Debate (very Important For Both Theists And Non-theist) by Nobody: 11:41pm On May 26, 2016
Julianyao:

I read books. That's all I can say.
To save you more questions, I'll just tell you a few things about me.
I'm an eccentric individual; Never really fit into the society since I became conscious of my existence. Also I'm a Sunday school teacher of a church. Family is religious and I'm kind of trapped in there; although that will end very soon.

I'm the current Bible- Quiz Champion in my Church

And I broke the record on Sunday School Exams

crycry

Sometimes I feel guilty for not believing in a deity
Re: Dialectics Or How To Debate (very Important For Both Theists And Non-theist) by Nobody: 11:48pm On May 26, 2016
SirWere:

I'm the current Bible- Quiz Champion in my Church

And I broke the record on Sunday School Exams

crycry
Sometimes I feel guilty for not believing in a deity
Why? Where's the guilt coming from?
Re: Dialectics Or How To Debate (very Important For Both Theists And Non-theist) by Nobody: 10:08am On May 27, 2016
Julianyao:

Why? Where's the guilt coming from?
I dunno. It's not rational. I'm usually around a lot of people who cling to religion like a drowned man clawing a buoy. Makes me feel bad sometimes for not ...... I dunno being like them

(1) (Reply)

Deists And Other Truth Seekers / Christians Are Immune To Snakes? Really? / Is It Possible For Angels To Slap Someone Who Fantasises Sex In Church?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.