Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,441 members, 7,816,002 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:17 PM

Niger Delta Avengers:: Odi Massacre In The Making - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Niger Delta Avengers:: Odi Massacre In The Making (3599 Views)

Should Olusegun Obasanjo Be Tried For The 1999 Odi Massacre ?? / Prince Odi Okojie Receives 400 Decampees In Edo (Photos) / Igbo Group Visits Victims Of Uzo-Uwani Enugu Massacre In Hospital (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Niger Delta Avengers:: Odi Massacre In The Making by Nobody: 2:00pm On May 27, 2016
According to Wikipedia::

The Odi massacre was an attack carried out on November 20, 1999, by the Nigerian military on the predominantly Ijaw town of Odi in Bayelsa State. The attack came in the context of an ongoing conflict in the Niger Delta over indigenous rights to oil resources and environmental protection.

People generally say that the massacre was ordered by the regime of former president Olusegun Obasanjo. The military has often defended its action saying it was ambushed on its way to Odi. As a result, tensions rose prior to entrance into the village.

Massacre

Prior to the massacre, twelve members of the Nigerian police were murdered by a gang near Odi, seven on November 4 and the remainder in the following days.[1] In revenge, the military decided to invade the village but there are reports that the army was ambushed close to the village thus tensions soared,they broke through the ambush and exchanged fire with armed militias in the village who were believed to be using the civilian population as cover this and the "ambush" provocation led to the attack on civilian population and the town's buildings. Every building in the town except the bank, the Anglican church and the health center was burned to the ground. All of this happened in president Olusegun Obasanjo's reign.

DEATH TOLL

A wide range of estimates have been given for the numbers of civilians killed. Human Rights Watch concluded that "the soldiers must certainly have killed tens of unarmed civilians and that figures of several hundred dead are entirely plausible."[1] Nnimmo Bassey, Executive Director of Environmental Rights Action, claims that nearly 2500 civilians were killed.[2] The government initially put the death toll at 43, including eight soldiers.

All that comes to my mind was ODI MASSACRE whenever I had that the Niger delta Avenger's strike.

This same story above can be compare to ZARIA (shia muslim) MASSACRE whereby the military claim that they were ambushed.

If the government can't get the the Niger Delta Avengers to their kneel, then the government will have no option than to repeat ODI and ZARIA MASSACRE in any community where this militant are hiding.

Remember that all the news we have heard about the Niger Deltan Avengers was that "We have know where they are hiding". They are not interested in who they are.

My advice to the elders in the area where the militant are hiding is to chase them out of their land to avoid the fate of ODI massacre whereby all the houses in the area will be demolish and lost of civillian life.

JUST AN ADVICE THOUGH

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Niger Delta Avengers:: Odi Massacre In The Making by waternogetemeny: 2:08pm On May 27, 2016

Some of you will end up at the ICC in the near future, wen it becomes clear that Nigeria disintegration is a plan perfected by the true creators of Nigeria.

They no longer need oil, so their is no incentive to continue the fraud called Nigeria. They had long predicted Nigeria disintegration to coincide with America oil boom.

The problem in the oil market is the surplus, the less or zero oil Nigeria produce means American shale oil fields can remain open. Idiot!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Niger Delta Avengers:: Odi Massacre In The Making by BUHARIDONMAD: 2:10pm On May 27, 2016
grin na today we don they hear MASSACRE grin ?

5 Likes

Re: Niger Delta Avengers:: Odi Massacre In The Making by Nobody: 2:46pm On May 27, 2016
waternogetemeny:
The massacre will start from your parents and end on your children.

Some of you will end up at the ICC in the near future, wen it becomes clear that Nigeria disintegration is a plan perfected by the true creators of Nigeria.

They no longer need oil, so their is no incentive to continue the fraud called Nigeria. They had long predicted Nigeria disintegration to coincide with America oil boom.

The problem in the oil market is the surplus, the less or zero oil Nigeria produce means American shale oil fields can remain open. Idiot!
But why the curse??

I just read your commented and I don't know if I should cause you or not. But I decide not to rain curse on you because the Family curse on your head is enough for you to be unsuccessful in life..

But I will add this little one to it.... " Y*u will nev*r make ham as long as Nigeria remains Nigeria""

After telling you that it's just an advice. If this is all you know, then you are born to doom

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Niger Delta Avengers:: Odi Massacre In The Making by HtwoOw: 4:42pm On May 27, 2016
I follow dabullit with passion and even though he's sometimes too emotional , he's a good researcher and most of his comments are realistic , i wonder if that entity is a professor ?

My point is , When a group wants to believe they are more powerful than the government , the government will have no choice than to decimate them and strike fear into their hearts for generations

The Odi incident was well documented and these people are playing the same game with the same rule with the same set of actors , copy and paste from 1967 and as Bull always said, it won't end well , even several people are disappointed that Buhari is giving them a consideration for negotiating, that shouldn't even be !! Shagari said if you give ibos a chance , they always misuse it and try to take over . which is what happened in the past and it's still happening now

Religious sentiments apart, those killed in Zaria were northerners like the president and he did not hesitate to decimate them because if you research a bit , those worshippers have long history of violence, assault and barricading roads and even killings, No one can tell if Buhari gave the kill order, but whoever did has not been dismissed from Military service

Army probably knew they would do what they did , and they brought cameras to record the blockage , and even recorded the highest ranking officer trying to negotiate with the hoodlums to leave the road

Bottom line is one day , someone will make a terrible mistake , be it the sponsor or the members of the so called avengers and i believe Buhari will unleash full wrath of terror on them, Check wiki leaks cable, even US wants Buhari to stand firm and fight the fraudsters call avengers and they are willing to give any support they can basically because they believe Buhari is doing the right thing

A word is enough for the wise, but in this case, i hope an air raid , a bomb is enough for agitators

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Niger Delta Avengers:: Odi Massacre In The Making by QuotaSystem: 4:44pm On May 27, 2016
Re: Niger Delta Avengers:: Odi Massacre In The Making by QuotaSystem: 4:44pm On May 27, 2016
President Buhari is exhausting all peaceful options to protect himself and his government from appearing to take the option of brute force by default, especially as the President is from a different region.

If you ask me, I'm in full support of this tactical approach; offer them everything except what they want and let them brag, make noise and continue bombing to the world's ears. I expect the government to start globally publicising the damage that the NDA are doing to the Nigerian economy and their people's lands and livelihood so as to earn some sympathy, before deploying the full and final force which is necessary to flatten them.

Already, we have a spokesman's name for the 'faceless' group in less than a week, so the strategy is working. Give them room to gloat themselves into their own destruction, pride has always come before a damned fall.

The strategy is working, exercise a little patience. This is Buhari.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Niger Delta Avengers:: Odi Massacre In The Making by Nusaf: 5:10pm On May 27, 2016
QuotaSystem:
President Buhari is exhausting all peaceful options to protect himself and his government from appearing to take the option of brute force by default, especially as the President is from a different region.

If you ask me, I'm in full support of this tactical approach; offer them everything except what they want and let them brag, make noise and continue bombing to the world's ears. I expect the government to start globally publicising the damage that the NDA are doing to the Nigerian economy and their people's lands and livelihood so as to earn some sympathy, before deploying the full and final force which is necessary to flatten them.

Already, we have a spokesman's name for the 'faceless' group in less than a week, so the strategy is working. Give them room to gloat themselves into their own destruction, pride has always come before a damned fall.

Excellent. Give the fool a long rope to hang himself. This is the govt approach which they are already mistaking for weakness. When the government start, I just hope none of these noisemakers will cry foul. Okay oooo!

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Niger Delta Avengers:: Odi Massacre In The Making by dustmalik: 5:10pm On May 27, 2016
The demands of the so-called Avengers are unrealistic, and they know it. They just want to have a reason to keep causing havoc. It's not possible to revoke oil licenses of Northerners. Those Northerners are very rich, influential and powerful. They are capable of causing more havoc to this country than all the militants put together.

If it's true that pipeline protection contract was one of the concessions of the FG, and these militants aren't still unsatisfied with it, then they should go to hell. If I were Buhari, I'd allow them to keep blowing up pipelines, which would force my hands to declare state of emergency in those states. Lets see how that play out.

1 Like

Re: Niger Delta Avengers:: Odi Massacre In The Making by QuotaSystem: 5:12pm On May 27, 2016
Nusaf:

Excellent. Give the fool a long rope to hang himself. This is the govt approach which they are already mistaking for weakness. When the government start, I just hope none of these noisemakers will cry foul. Okay oooo!

I laughed heartily when I saw their latest taunt at the Military.

Already, the 'faceless' group has a spokesman; Mudoch Agbinibo.

Patience wink

1 Like

Re: Niger Delta Avengers:: Odi Massacre In The Making by EasternLeopard: 5:15pm On May 27, 2016
godson36:
According to Wikipedia::

The Odi massacre was an attack carried out on November 20, 1999, by the Nigerian military on the predominantly Ijaw town of Odi in Bayelsa State. The attack came in the context of an ongoing conflict in the Niger Delta over indigenous rights to oil resources and environmental protection.

People generally say that the massacre was ordered by the regime of former president Olusegun Obasanjo. The military has often defended its action saying it was ambushed on its way to Odi. As a result, tensions rose prior to entrance into the village.

Massacre

DEATH TOLL

All that comes to my mind was ODI MASSACRE whenever I had that the Niger delta Avenger's strike.

This same story above can be compare to ZARIA (shia muslim) MASSACRE whereby the military claim that they were ambushed.

If the government can't get the the Niger Delta Avengers to their kneel, then the government will have no option than to repeat ODI and ZARIA MASSACRE in any community where this militant are hiding.

Remember that all the news we have heard about the Niger Deltan Avengers was that "We have know where they are hiding". They are not interested in who they are.

My advice to the elders in the area where the militant are hiding is to chase them out of their land to avoid the fate of ODI massacre whereby all the houses in the area will be demolish and lost of civillian life.

JUST AN ADVICE THOUGH

Illiteracy is when one poster mention Odi with out thinking of ICC

7 Likes

Re: Niger Delta Avengers:: Odi Massacre In The Making by omenkaa: 5:17pm On May 27, 2016
Nusaf:

Empty and childish threats.The NDA is making afool of your military and you are threatening innocent civillians.Why didn't the dullard use that approach in the north east.

BTW The odi massacre was what aggravated the niger-delta crisis and pushed the region into full blown insurgency.Prior to the odi massacre,we never had this sort of insurgency in the region.Try and murder innocent civillains and watch the entire region explode

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Niger Delta Avengers:: Odi Massacre In The Making by Japhestra(m): 5:36pm On May 27, 2016
I think Odi treatment will be Buhari's last card and I see him getting away with it.
Re: Niger Delta Avengers:: Odi Massacre In The Making by Metallurgist: 5:55pm On May 27, 2016
looking at SYRIA, I realized how powerful a dogged and determined government can be. if in Syria where over 70% of the population support the rebels but still the government is hanging on thank to Iran hisbollah and Russia, I wonder how on earth can some miscreants scavengers think the can break away from Nigeria, not with what is at stake. if history teached us one thing is that the world does not suffer a fool. I just pity the innocent ppl , latter be known as collateral damage
Re: Niger Delta Avengers:: Odi Massacre In The Making by mikki123(m): 6:34pm On May 27, 2016
Their demands are not outrageous, true federalism is the way out of this mess... Use of force may lead to disintegration of the country. An opinion though

2 Likes

Re: Niger Delta Avengers:: Odi Massacre In The Making by 989900B: 7:09pm On May 27, 2016
Condolence to those poor villagers in advance . . . the military/DSS will frame them/set them up . . . make it look like provocation and self defense. It is what they are good at; they do it all the time. And the irony is, they will have the backing of the state governors, and other politicians from the ND.
Re: Niger Delta Avengers:: Odi Massacre In The Making by otukpo(f): 7:15pm On May 27, 2016
They should try it in the NE, where boko haram has been terrorizing in the past 5 years.

3 Likes

Re: Niger Delta Avengers:: Odi Massacre In The Making by modath(f): 7:22pm On May 27, 2016
There is no way this will end well.. cry
Re: Niger Delta Avengers:: Odi Massacre In The Making by Babacele: 7:52pm On May 27, 2016
modath:

There is no way this will end well.. cry
what if the president jegad this orubebe of a sinister plan nko? nobody can predict maigaskia.
Re: Niger Delta Avengers:: Odi Massacre In The Making by mightyhazell: 7:52pm On May 27, 2016
I like dis omenkaa handle. cheesy V enlightened and sensible,unlike the other one claiming benue first son,...but looks and reason more like those 'libyans' gov fayose banned from ekiti

7 Likes

Re: Niger Delta Avengers:: Odi Massacre In The Making by mightyhazell: 7:59pm On May 27, 2016
QuotaSystem:

U just go underground since wen ur oga at the top just dey hama us with untold hardship! Shey na dis one be the change wen 'we' vote for?
Anyways,....

All dis beautiful plot u put up dere,...

I hope u consider a career in comedy! Ur custom made 4 it,I tell ya

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Niger Delta Avengers:: Odi Massacre In The Making by malton: 8:15pm On May 27, 2016
mikki123:
Their demands are not outrageous, true federalism is the way out of this mess... Use of force may lead to disintegration of the country. An opinion though

You people keep harping disintegration as a last line of defense as though it will bring everybody else to their knees. In this age and time, given human adaptive skills, especially the black man's, and education, a lot of people will retain their status regardless what goes down.

only the weak and feeble view cheap money they never labored for as man's last lifeline!

1 Like

Re: Niger Delta Avengers:: Odi Massacre In The Making by cybernaut(m): 8:25pm On May 27, 2016

But why the curse??

I just read your commented and I don't know if I should cause you or not. But I decide not to rain curse on you because the Family curse on your head is enough for you to be unsuccessful in life..

But I will add this little one to it.... " Y*u will nev*r make ham as long as Nigeria remains Nigeria""

After telling you that it's just an advice. If this is all you know, then you are born to doom
shut up boss curser. That is right very well. Believe it or not. American prediction is real. Nigeria is on d way to dis integrate for sure. Only time will tell bt is soon if u r current in current affairs world wide.

1 Like

Re: Niger Delta Avengers:: Odi Massacre In The Making by cktheluckyman: 8:31pm On May 27, 2016
989900B:
Condolence to those poor villagers in advance . . . the military/DSS will frame them/set them up . . . make it look like provocation and self defense. It is what they are good at; they do it all the time. And the irony is, they will have the backing of the state governors, and other politicians from the ND.

See empty threats!! You will continue to rant online while the militants keeps up with the bombing of pipelines.Instead of you to confront the militants like a man,you chose to cowardly threaten civillians.Well try it and live to rue the consequences
Re: Niger Delta Avengers:: Odi Massacre In The Making by 989900B: 8:40pm On May 27, 2016
cktheluckyman:

[s]See empty threats!! You will continue to rant online while the militants keeps up with the bombing of pipelines.Instead of you to confront the militants like a man,you chose to cowardly threaten civillians.Well try it and live to rue the consequences[/s]

I heard you're Chukwudi?
Re: Niger Delta Avengers:: Odi Massacre In The Making by modath(f): 9:08pm On May 27, 2016
Babacele:
what if the president jegad this orubebe of a sinister plan nko? nobody can predict maigaskia.

I'm just scared for the innocent bystanders..

1 Like

Re: Niger Delta Avengers:: Odi Massacre In The Making by cktheluckyman: 9:10pm On May 27, 2016
modath:

I'm just scared for the innocent bystanders..

Tell your illiterate General" to go and confront the avengers if he is man enough!! Enough of these childish threats!! So much for the new sherriff in town smh
Re: Niger Delta Avengers:: Odi Massacre In The Making by mrvitalis(m): 9:45pm On May 27, 2016
For those shouting ICC Africa just voted to exit the body since it only trials African leaders( small countries at that)
U think if not for France we would let bakasi go??
Its the governor am pitting

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Life Of Gordian Ezekwe And The Secrets Behind The Biafran Bomb (pt 1) / Check Out This Amazing Made In Aba Double Decker Bed (photo) / Breaking: Nigeria, Niger Plan Joint Refinery, To Sign Agreement Soon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.