Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,374 members, 7,819,348 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:46 PM

Photos That Describe Words Used By Nigerians Only - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Photos That Describe Words Used By Nigerians Only (29469 Views)

Apply For Seplat Energy Undergraduate Scholarships. Nigerians Only / 20 Poisonous Expressions Used By Nigerians; Corrections, Tips And Reasons. / 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Photos That Describe Words Used By Nigerians Only by sugardad1(m): 4:11pm On May 28, 2016
8 words only Nigerians understand

Nigerians have created their own version of the English language. And it is amazing.
The widely spoken and highly flavoured Naija English may not be documented or popular outside Naija. It is our own and we love it!
Here are some words from the Naija Lingo only Nigerians know and understand:

1. Tokunbo
Non-Nigerians only know this word as a name from the Yoruba tribe. But Tokunbo has always been used since time immemorial to describe second-hand goods. Tokunbo cars, Tokunbo tyres, etc all refer to the used version of those items.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Photos That Describe Words Used By Nigerians Only by sugardad1(m): 4:14pm On May 28, 2016
2. Follow come b3 /charger

It means original battery or charger

15 Likes

Re: Photos That Describe Words Used By Nigerians Only by sugardad1(m): 4:18pm On May 28, 2016
3. Item 7

Ever heard a Nigerian ask after Item 7? Item 7 is the colloquial way of referring to refreshments at events.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Photos That Describe Words Used By Nigerians Only by olatunjithomas(m): 4:20pm On May 28, 2016

1 Like

Re: Photos That Describe Words Used By Nigerians Only by sugardad1(m): 4:22pm On May 28, 2016
4. JJC

JJC is the abbreviated form of “Johnny Just Come”. We use this word to refer to newcomers in a place. We also it to refer to people are slow on the uptake of important issues.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Photos That Describe Words Used By Nigerians Only by sugardad1(m): 4:24pm On May 28, 2016
5. Drop/Kabu Kabu

Cabs and taxis will forever be called drop or kabu kabu depending on your generation. Older generation prefers Kabu Kabu while the young, hip and cool like the word “drop”.

8 Likes

Re: Photos That Describe Words Used By Nigerians Only by sugardad1(m): 4:28pm On May 28, 2016
6. Okrika

While all second-hand items must have the prefix “tokunbo”, used clothes are the only second-hand items that have their own special name, Okrika.

8 Likes

Re: Photos That Describe Words Used By Nigerians Only by sugardad1(m): 4:32pm On May 28, 2016
7. SiSi/Omoge

This term is used to refer to young women. Even older and married women these days are trying to appropriate “sisi” and “omoge” from the young women in Naija.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Photos That Describe Words Used By Nigerians Only by sugardad1(m): 4:35pm On May 28, 2016
8. Jara/Fisi
This word refers to the extra someone adds to stuff you bought from them. Who doesn’t ask for jara in the market?

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Photos That Describe Words Used By Nigerians Only by princefunmmy(m): 4:38pm On May 28, 2016
Ok.. Booked
Re: Photos That Describe Words Used By Nigerians Only by chriskosherbal(m): 4:43pm On May 28, 2016
Funny and cool.
Re: Photos That Describe Words Used By Nigerians Only by sugardad1(m): 4:49pm On May 28, 2016
Lalasticlala

omgvoice.com
Re: Photos That Describe Words Used By Nigerians Only by Tascocent(m): 5:01pm On May 28, 2016
Wagbayi jare @OP..... Some people call number 6 akube

2 Likes

Re: Photos That Describe Words Used By Nigerians Only by Mustack: 5:02pm On May 28, 2016
kontinu
Re: Photos That Describe Words Used By Nigerians Only by delishpot: 5:10pm On May 28, 2016
Jagajaga

When you write something nobody can read clearly grin

72 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Photos That Describe Words Used By Nigerians Only by lirusehn(m): 5:21pm On May 28, 2016
Ashewo nko??sad

22 Likes

Re: Photos That Describe Words Used By Nigerians Only by TheLoneCitizen(m): 6:01pm On May 28, 2016
sugardad1:
2. Banger

Not club bangers. Oyibos call it fire works/ fire crackers, but we persist in calling it banger or knock-out.
Banger is extremely correct.

15 Likes

Re: Photos That Describe Words Used By Nigerians Only by bentlywills(m): 6:38pm On May 28, 2016
OLoshi nko
Re: Photos That Describe Words Used By Nigerians Only by Dfinex(f): 7:17pm On May 28, 2016
sugardad1:
2. Banger

Not club bangers. Oyibos call it fire works/ fire crackers, but we persist in calling it banger or knock-out.

please edit banger out of the list. it's an English word. knockout is ok.

1 Like

Re: Photos That Describe Words Used By Nigerians Only by xender(m): 8:02pm On May 28, 2016
Op never start . Nigerians have invented a lot of new words that even the whites have adopted some of our words and are already in the dictionary. They will say...thus I quote "" a word normally used somewhere in Africa "" cheesy like say na there word

Example : check out " mama"in your dictionary.

1 Like

Re: Photos That Describe Words Used By Nigerians Only by delishpot: 8:02pm On May 28, 2016
Worwor

Used to describe an ugly person or thing

24 Likes

Re: Photos That Describe Words Used By Nigerians Only by Nobody: 8:43pm On May 28, 2016
NKOR?

9 Likes

Re: Photos That Describe Words Used By Nigerians Only by sugardad1(m): 9:02pm On May 28, 2016
Dfinex:

please edit banger out of the list. it's an English word. knockout is ok.
Done!
Re: Photos That Describe Words Used By Nigerians Only by Nobody: 9:11pm On May 28, 2016

Ajebutter refers to children either from Rich background or who behave rich

Kpako refers to children who without been told, you'd know are from ajegunle grin

Bololo means skin cut

11 Likes

Re: Photos That Describe Words Used By Nigerians Only by Nobody: 9:18pm On May 28, 2016
xender:
Op never start . Nigerians have invented a lot of new words that even the whites have adopted some of our words and are already in the dictionary. They will say...thus I quote "" a word normally used somewhere in Africa "" cheesy like say na there word

Example : check out " mama"in your dictionary.

Mama is a universally recognised word. It's used in Asia more than Africa

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Photos That Describe Words Used By Nigerians Only by xender(m): 9:51pm On May 28, 2016
Elijahrona2:

check your dictionary... in some places in africa
Re: Photos That Describe Words Used By Nigerians Only by Adeoba10(m): 11:52pm On May 28, 2016
Elijahrona2:

What about "Orisha"
Re: Photos That Describe Words Used By Nigerians Only by gift01: 5:19am On May 29, 2016
Shebi (or abi) . Used to test the validity of a subject- either true or false

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Photos That Describe Words Used By Nigerians Only by Nobody: 5:47am On May 29, 2016
Akpako grin grin
Re: Photos That Describe Words Used By Nigerians Only by tosyne2much(m): 7:06am On May 29, 2016
I feel you jawe OP.. Make I add mine cool

Kitty-cat

It is the colloquial way of referring to what a woman has under her skirt

*nobody should quote me* cool

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Photos That Describe Words Used By Nigerians Only by yungryce: 7:50am On May 29, 2016
tosyne2much:
I feel you jawe OP.. Make I add mine cool

Kitty-cat

It is the colloquial way of referring to what a woman has under her skirt

*nobody should quote me* cool

otolondolo abi??
Re: Photos That Describe Words Used By Nigerians Only by Omotayor123(f): 8:07am On May 29, 2016
grin grin Aproko tongue

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Can I Still Graduate With a First Class? / The Fallen Standard Of Education In Nigeria- Who Is To Blame? / Professor Matt Meyer In University Of Ilorin (UNILORIN) Delivering LECTURE (Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.