Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,527 members, 7,816,288 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:52 AM

Letter To My Brother - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Letter To My Brother (486 Views)

I Stabbed My Brother / A Most Read: A Tale Of My Brother / A most read:A Tale Of My Brother. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Letter To My Brother by OBALORLA(m): 6:48pm On May 28, 2016
Like u sternly warned "ranti omo eni to n shey ni skool o!" with the help of your thumb and index finger, u pulled ur left ear to sail home ur point that fateful night. I adhered to your warning but the enthusiasm fizzled out just as it came- my first year in school precisely.

Egbon, it wasn't really my fault. I had no one to tell me then, that the journey here gets tougher with time. Hence, after my first year on campus, the ego went up north when I had an encouraging GPA. I lowered my shield: 4geting d first rule which spelt the beginning of my woes:

Rule1
When a battle is won, sharpen ur knife"

Egbon, the holiday came and went with the speed of a light train. I started year2 on the high, feeling a lil bit of pride inside of me due to my previous perceived triumph.
Unlike before, I started missing classes, and on rare occasions when I attend, I invest little or no energy in striving for the first few rolls u've always told me to aim at.
At other times, I go to classes but deliberately get myself distracted cos I feel I'd always cover up.
I almost forgot to add bro, that I saw going to the library as the most herculean of tasks.
Like these weren't enough, I added another burden: 'a girlfriend' (my worst misdeed till date).
Though, she wasn't a student of our school, she made me comfortable with everything a weird man can ever want from a lady. I spent most nights with her on campus. I'm so sorry I never told u this before now.

Exams came sooner than I expected.
Within me, I thought I was ready but I took little cognisance of the slippery floor beneath my feet: falling face flat with a thunderous thud after seeing how poorly I've performed.
I tried making ends meet in the second semester, but Shola (our landlord's daughter) practically acted the eve in my book of genesis as he led me astray with her waywardness orchestrating my failure again in the second semester of my second year.
That event reminded me about the second rule:
"That the arrogance of success is thinking that what u've done/achieved yesterday will be sufficient for tomorrow".

Then came year 3.
Like the tits of a worn-out grandma, my cgpa kept a steady motion down south. Falling freely like an overripe papaya. For the first time since gaining admission, I sobbed all through a night.
I gradually stopped acknowledging God (cos I feel he's been so cruel allowing this huge flaw betide me).
Though, I got more serious, my grades refused to agree with my labour input- they never came to a compromise.
Rule3
Remember the creator- in all u do, put him first.

Egbon, that guy advised me to beg my creator. I mean that my roommate I have always told u about. I reluctantly did and I felt a huge psychological relief: which I needed at that point in time.
But like david, I wasn't spared the rod as I still got punished with a low grade point that semester.
This just concluded semester was not too different but I assure u of the fact that all is well.

But egbon, if ur memory won't disappoint you, u should still recollect that night we decided to chill at a local pub down the street. I asked u to advice me on girls and family.
According to u, "anytime I see a woman like our mum, I shouldn't let go of her.
Well, I finally found her, her name is *******. I'm sure she's got those same traits u voraciously emphasized.
If not that I prefer falling asleep to falling in love, I'd have jazzed her into a relationship. But I'd like to tell u she's added immensely to my life.

About family, u told me to do all I can to remain with those who made me feel @home even when I'm not.

Year4 is the beginning of the end for me in this mini prison (called a university). Since my conviction, I've met many inspirational inmates, Dined with some ungrateful few, Spoken with few unfriendly ones, and laughed with many unreal.
These experiences and more have informed my ‘chameleon-like’ attitude since getting my 4-year jail term, cos that's the only way I'd come out of this den alive.

I really must profess my undying love for you now brother, cos I know not what death and its allies are capable of.

So, permit me enjoy every bit of this moment to lucidly express my emotions.

On getting my letter, Keep it somewhere secured- most preferably under our abandoned tv set on the fridge.
I'd write to u some other time brother.
Please bro, when next u'd be coming to check on me, help me bring a new bible cos the one I presently have is almost gone.
This is just a memoir of a changed inmate.
Re: Letter To My Brother by jojothaiv(m): 6:55pm On Jun 01, 2016
Touching..

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

A Silver Lining / Showcase Your Blog And Get More Comments And Subscribers / Positive Thinker.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.