Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,607 members, 7,955,240 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 08:23 PM

Would You Buy a House With Your Fiance as Co-owner? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Would You Buy a House With Your Fiance as Co-owner? (1449 Views)

Can You Live In A House Built By Your Wife? / Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? / What Will You Do If Your Fiance Says No Make Up On Your Wedding Day ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would You Buy a House With Your Fiance as Co-owner? by donone(m): 4:52pm On Nov 18, 2005
I have a friend who is meant to get married in July 2006, and he has just bought a house in both his and his fiance's name.
Re: Would You Buy a House With Your Fiance as Co-owner? by vexxy(f): 5:10pm On Nov 18, 2005
Yes, I don't see a problem with it. If they do not end up getting married they can always sell the house.
Re: Would You Buy a House With Your Fiance as Co-owner? by pie1ect(m): 1:02pm On Nov 19, 2005
NO! Absolutely not.
Re: Would You Buy a House With Your Fiance as Co-owner? by Seun(m): 2:48pm On Nov 19, 2005
Of course, if they are planning or expecting to get divorced later on, this wouldn't be wise.
Re: Would You Buy a House With Your Fiance as Co-owner? by timmy(m): 4:58pm On Nov 19, 2005
never!! Guy your friend aint a sharp guy at all.. that one of the crazy thingys we men do claiming "I lova her and thats what matters"..
Re: Would You Buy a House With Your Fiance as Co-owner? by Seun(m): 5:23pm On Nov 19, 2005
However, if their love is geniune and reciprocal, moves like this can make it stronger. The more dependent you are in a family, the more you are forced to resolve your differences instead of running away.
Re: Would You Buy a House With Your Fiance as Co-owner? by icingbaby(f): 11:53pm On Nov 19, 2005
they suppose to buy a house together if they are going to be married, what he own she own, what she own he own. so there is no problem
Re: Would You Buy a House With Your Fiance as Co-owner? by donone(m): 9:03am On Nov 21, 2005
knowing them i dont think he made a mistake, just that as they say you'll never know what can happen they are both gainfully employed and have been going out for about 3yrs now
the only reason against the whole idea is traditional, and i dont usually like subscribing to traditions that are dogmatic in nature
Re: Would You Buy a House With Your Fiance as Co-owner? by timmy(m): 9:37am On Nov 21, 2005
i still feel he shouldn't have done that, i'm more into the set of people whose will properties to children than spouse's
Re: Would You Buy a House With Your Fiance as Co-owner? by vexxy(f): 2:43pm On Nov 21, 2005
I don't see the problem. If they don't stick together they can always sell the house. If they're going to be married, they're going to be co-owners of everything anyway.
Re: Would You Buy a House With Your Fiance as Co-owner? by otokx(m): 7:29pm On Dec 19, 2005
no
Re: Would You Buy a House With Your Fiance as Co-owner? by allonym: 6:24am On Dec 20, 2005
timmy:

i still feel he shouldn't have done that, i'm more into the set of people whose will properties to children than spouse's

I don't see how that applies here. . .these are two people who are actively engaged in getting married and presumably have no children. There is nobody to will the house to except each other. . . which could be bypassed by having the house in both of their names and reducing any fees that may occur in settling a will.

vexxy:

I don't see the problem. If they don't stick together they can always sell the house. If they're going to be married, they're going to be co-owners of everything anyway.

I agree. I can't see any disadvantage. Both people at the moment are in love and want to own a home. Both are planning to marry each other. If they get married, then they are in a great situation. If they change their minds, they can sell the house and split the value or one can buy the rest of the house from the other person. Either way, nobody loses financially. . . what exactly could be wrong with this?
Re: Would You Buy a House With Your Fiance as Co-owner? by titilayomi(f): 12:34pm On Jan 02, 2007
I see that as sowing a great seed into the future. Why must you get married to someone you don't trust to stick with you. I'll do same if i were in their shoes.
Re: Would You Buy a House With Your Fiance as Co-owner? by ThoniaSlim(f): 4:31pm On Jan 03, 2007
@timmy
whats wrong with it? looks like you have got a long way to go when it comes to trust.
Re: Would You Buy a House With Your Fiance as Co-owner? by Ryley(m): 4:32pm On Jan 07, 2007
I don't think its a bad idea smiley, but i wouldn't. I mean if we are going to be married, does it matter whose name it is in? Ever see the movie First Wives Club? undecided
Re: Would You Buy a House With Your Fiance as Co-owner? by ruescho(m): 11:03am On Jan 12, 2007
Depends on where u live.

If u live like me in a country where they tax u very high,

it´s the only way to do it. Just cos of money.
Re: Would You Buy a House With Your Fiance as Co-owner? by okwanuzo3(f): 5:29am On Jan 13, 2007
/
Re: Would You Buy a House With Your Fiance as Co-owner? by titilayomi(f): 11:44pm On Jan 13, 2007
@okwanuzo3 Don't be too sure about naija babes anymore o. Alot are imbibing even the craziest idea all in the name of getting westernized. Things of value no more count cause it doesnt in the western world. It's just a pity. . .
Re: Would You Buy a House With Your Fiance as Co-owner? by Eurphoria(f): 2:55pm On Jan 14, 2007
@topic
yes i will, only if we buying it 50/50 i get half the money and he gets half the money to put into buying it. why not? Also there has to be a written contract stating equal ownership or if not , then the percentage. A contract must be available . However, if it is a case of buying the house with my money alone,and then including his name on the ownership, helllll no. Not before marriage.
Re: Would You Buy a House With Your Fiance as Co-owner? by GeeCee(m): 6:33pm On Jan 15, 2007
FORGET IT. WITH MY WIFE, I CAN DO DAT. BUT WITH MY FIANCE cry, NOOOOOOO.
Re: Would You Buy a House With Your Fiance as Co-owner? by adconline(m): 10:06pm On Jan 15, 2007
Why put the cart before the horse. get married first and put her name in whatever. These days marriages no be silver bullet, cos its a 50-50 chance. That's why I feel that there should be a law to give back every gift from a marriage whenever it goes south. Cos its like an investment that the union will be forever. donts investor get back some investments whenever a company is about to go under?

(1) (Reply)

Parents Hooking You Up With Rich Family Friends Child To Marry,what Would You Do / Why Do Men Cheat On Their Wives / Mom Arrested For Hiring Strippers For 16yr Old's Son's Birthday Party

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.