Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,257 members, 7,818,880 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:15 AM

"Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods - Agriculture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods (42330 Views)

Organic Layer Solution By: Organicfoods / Sack Farming : Diary Of My Mix Crop Sack Farm / Sack Farming From Start (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods by 2osta(m): 1:43pm On Aug 29, 2016
[quote author=organicfoods post=46190870]What you must do:
1. Adequate planning.
2. Water
3. Commitments
4. Avoid Stressing the vine

Adequate Planning: In cucumber farm, you must plan well from start to finish. Your planning must include logistics like
a. Visitation to the farm: You can not abandon a cucumber farm like you do to maize, things happen very fast and there is little you can control when the vines are in full gear. So you have to monitor and ensure things works according to plan. If you don't love farming and you want money don't try cucumbers. If you have a tight schedule, planning from the scratch will help you a lot. You must know what's happening on the field every other day, because the faster they grow the faster things can go wrong. Pests also arrive very fast as well, many of them don't joke with it. You must have a program in place to control the pest. Our program was using neem oil and neem water. We soaked neem leaves in water for seven days and use every week, renewing the broth with fresh leaves every time we harvest the pesticide. This is how we initiate our pest control. We spray twice a week. Neem water on Monday and neem oil plus Black soap on Friday. When it rains, we change the day to when its favorable. Because we planted three in a sack, it was really crowded, I will recommend two per sack. You can plant three seeds per sack and prone to two leaving the healthiest plants. Recently I discover Palm Kernel oil (Yoruba called it adi eyan) when mixed with neem oil was really effective a against caterpillar pest. The solution kills the pest almost immediately, I was really glad with the result. The tips of the cucumber vine are safe heaven for these pests.

@ Op, how much water does one need in preparing neem water, and black soap u talked about is it the same as that soap mostly sold in d market by Yoruba women? My first questions have not been answered. God bless u.
Re: "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods by Pathfinder0915(m): 5:05pm On Sep 14, 2016
Great you do well and tanx a lot for the information you shared with us is indeed an amazing experience my question is what type of soil is to be stuffed in the sack and in the absence of chicken feases could prepared liquid organic solutions be considered the likes of maxiforce from jubahili tanx
Re: "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods by organicfoods(m): 10:00pm On Sep 17, 2016
Pathfinder0915:
Great you do well and tanx a lot for the information you shared with us is indeed an amazing experience my question is what type of soil is to be stuffed in the sack and in the absence of chicken feases could prepared liquid organic solutions be considered the likes of maxiforce from jubahili tanx
Soil that drain easily is best. loamy soil precisely. I don't know much about maxiforce, but liquid fertilizer are better used as supplements. Chicken poo and cow dung are slow releasing fertilizer and perfect ammendment for nutrients rich soil.
Re: "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods by organicfoods(m): 4:54am On Nov 08, 2016
[quote author=2osta post=48898634][/quote]Just make sure you have enough water covering the leaves. The black soap is the popular Yoruba native soap... igbo and Ghanian also has something similar

2 Likes

Re: "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods by shakol91(m): 12:14am On Nov 19, 2016
organicfoods:
Soil that drain easily is best. loamy soil precisely. I don't know much about maxiforce, but liquid fertilizer are better used as supplements. Chicken poo and cow dung are slow releasing fertilizer and perfect ammendment for nutrients rich soil.
Good job @ OP. Pls I like to partake in tomato and pepper sack farming,how can you help me with the procedure and the seedling breed. Secondly,can goat poo be use in absentia of chicken poo or cow dung as fertilizer? Cc pavore9
Re: "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods by knoxx: 6:23pm On Nov 21, 2016
Following ur threads has opened my eyes to a lot on organic farming. I did a reading on the use of neem leaves on soil sterilization and fertilization. Reason was an outbreak on our school farm. The soil is quite rich but i think contaminated by now. Can you pls shed more light on the solution to correcting all anomalies in the soil without using chemicals sir. We are planning to plant tomatoes and pepper and cucumbers next week using sacks on the school balcony
Re: "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods by organicfoods(m): 7:57am On Nov 22, 2016
knoxx:
Following ur threads has opened my eyes to a lot on organic farming. I did a reading on the use of neem leaves on soil sterilization and fertilization. Reason was an outbreak on our school farm. The soil is quite rich but i think contaminated by now. Can you pls shed more light on the solution to correcting all anomalies in the soil without using chemicals sir. We are planning to plant tomatoes and pepper and cucumbers next week using sacks on the school balcony
You can sterilize the soil by heating. .. It does take a lot of efforts though. Now that the sun intensity is high, you can cover the soil with transparent nylon for at least two months.. . The heat generated and trapped will sterilized the soil. You can also spread fresh manure on the soil.. Brewer waste and chicken manure can reach very high temprature during the process of decomposition hence can effectively sterilize the soil. Also you can drench the soil with water rich in emulsified neem solution. Beneficial microbes like lacto bacillus and trichodemia Viride can be used to colonize the soil and knock off disease causing pathogen in the soil.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods by knoxx: 12:36pm On Nov 22, 2016
I do have access to cow dung and goat droppings and neem leaves. Can i add the animal manure and also wet daily with soaked neem leaves after planting. Am not that familiar with lacto bacilus preparations. Am actually starting the nursery on Saturday. Time na money sir. Thanks in anticipation sir
organicfoods:
You can sterilize the soil by heating. .. It does take a lot of efforts though. Now that the sun intensity is high, you can cover the soil with transparent nylon for at least two months.. . The heat generated and trapped will sterilized the soil. You can also spread fresh manure on the soil.. Brewer waste and chicken manure can reach very high temprature during the process of decomposition hence can effectively sterilize the soil. Also you can drench the soil with water rich in emulsified neem solution. Beneficial microbes like lacto bacillus and trichodemia Viride can be used to colonize the soil and knock off disease causing pathogen in the soil.
Re: "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods by knoxx: 12:39pm On Nov 22, 2016
Am following your thread bumper to bumper sir. When is the next training sir and how much is the cost. Am really interested
Re: "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods by organicfoods(m): 7:38pm On Nov 22, 2016
knoxx:
Am following your thread bumper to bumper sir. When is the next training sir and how much is the cost. Am really interested
I will give update on that soon...Poultry and crops production will be combined to unleash the power of organic full time.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods by knoxx: 9:35pm On Nov 24, 2016
Sir please you are yet to answer my questions above
Re: "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods by Agrozone: 3:42pm On Nov 29, 2016
Afternoon, pls my 4wks plant is being attacked by a pest that looks very tiny,they reside at the back of the leaves ,the major sign to know their presence is that the leaf shrinks,pls what can I do,

Re: "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods by organicfoods(m): 10:07am On Dec 02, 2016
White Fly infestation...This is their season, they are a kind of aphid specie.
Agrozone:
Afternoon, pls my 4wks plant is being attacked by a pest that looks very tiny,they reside at the back of the leaves ,the major sign to know their presence is that the leaf shrinks,pls what can I do,

1 Like

Re: "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods by organicfoods(m): 10:16am On Dec 02, 2016
@Agrozone, your cucumber is not getting enough nutrients...Possible environmental stress like water and too much heat.. when plants are not healthy, they quickly find pests as companion. Solution: Get Native Black Soap NBS, mix with water and spray under leaves early in the morning and late in the evening. Then get some flat yellow plastic board and coat them with Vaseline, any oily thing that could stick and place round the farm to trap and kill the pest...You need to act fast. Good luck!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods by Shytunde: 11:49pm On Dec 12, 2016
pls I need Cucumber seeds (Murano F1). Am preparing my sacks for planting but the seeds are not available. You can contact me on 08184369464. Thanks
Re: "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods by adeniyi65(m): 11:55am On Jan 21, 2017
Do you have a farm in ibadan.if yes,where in ibadan precisely.i will like to pay you a visit.
Re: "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods by organicfoods(m): 11:06pm On Sep 18, 2017

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods by iff74: 9:02am On Sep 19, 2017
for those interested in sack farming,I have 3000pcs of waste cement sacks for sale contact me on :08027915498

1 Like

Re: "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods by akwonderman: 10:50pm On Sep 23, 2017
Call 08058173584 for your hybrid cucumber seeds; Murano 2 F1, Tokyo F1 and Akito F1. Thanks.
Re: "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods by maxjames: 2:42pm On Sep 24, 2017
@organicfoods I have a fish fish and am planning of trying out ur sack formular in planting cucumber soonest. My intention is to link water from the fish pond to d cucumber farm. What will be the outcome, please?

1 Like

Re: "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods by organicfoods(m): 7:54am On Nov 04, 2017
maxjames:
@organicfoods I have a fish fish and am planning of trying out ur sack formular in planting cucumber soonest. My intention is to link water from the fish pond to d cucumber farm. What will be the outcome, please?
Great idea.

1 Like

Re: "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods by FMCASH(m): 11:58am On Dec 18, 2017
organicfoods:
It will be impossible to do because of the size of the fruits. But who knows, a system may evolve.

2 Likes

Re: "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods by BuzzyGems(f): 11:38pm On May 06, 2018
Please do you have an idea of where I can get chive seeds and thyme seeds for planting in lagos?
Re: "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods by Mrkellz: 10:47pm On Mar 01, 2020
Pls who knows a heat resistant lettuce and cabbage variety? Wana try them out this yr.
Re: "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods by Konquest: 7:29pm On Jan 19
organicfoods:
I will be using this new thread to share my experience in vertical sack farming. This will serve as a learning curve for many up starter. During the journey so far, we have witnessed the emergence of this phenomenon concept called "Vertical Sack Farming" which was introduced to Nairaland by Pavore9, as a result of the little success, a lot of vertical sack farmers are emerging everyday with astonishing concept and improve version of the idea.

It is a great joy for me to be part of this revolution. Vanpeele, ishaqteejay and several others had improvise on this concept to a point of perfection. The agriculture community should be grateful to these guys for daring to sustain this form of farming thus far.

The pix outline how we started.
Bump.
Re: "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods by Konquest: 7:30pm On Jan 19
Re: "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods by Konquest: 7:55pm On Jan 19
organicfoods:
Gradually we made some little progress on the field. The journey wasn't really smooth. My farm assistance used the short cut of bush burning before my arrival to the farm and I felt bad. As a proponent of organic farming, bush burning is a no, no. The reasons are not far fetched. The bio diversity of the land is further destroyed as many beneficiary insects and animals are killed. Besides the nutrients are made to be available in sudden large quantity on the field when you practice bush burning, which cannot be used by the plants because it takes a while for it grow and obtain such nutrients, hence exposing the nutrients to leaching, wind and water erosion when it rains.

Remember the bio build up of a particular land consists of many living organism and micro organisms thriving on it, so also many weeds, some deep rooted others perennial. Deep rooted dig deep into the soil to extract nutrients locked there. When such plants dies they make available these nutrients for other plants that doesn't have a well developed root system to extract nutrients, burning such plants and releasing those nutrients without using it, is waste of nature's effort and resource to nourish the soil. So consider dropping bush burning as a method of bush clearing.
Re: "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods by Konquest: 7:59pm On Jan 19
organicfoods:
Fertilization: When you are planing for your vertical farm (cucumber) You must provide enough organic matters and manure for them. They grow very fast and don't waste time consuming nutrients. If not for my experience in the manufacture of cheap liquid fertilizer, I would have given up. You mus be prepared to supplement the nutrients in the sack, especially during budding and fruiting. They tend to demand a lot of nutrients. Fast releasing nutrients would do you a lot of joy. So to avoid nutrients depletion consider stuffing the bags enough with chicken poo and also supplements, it is a must or else you become an actor in the epic movie "Story that touch" lol!

Pest Management: One big problem I encountered is pest control....Kai, the pest love it like mad, they behave as if their lives depend on it. If you are not prepared to do battle with the pest then don't even go into cucumber farming. One short cut I will be adopting is planting varieties of other vegetables along side cucumber. Crops like celery, marigold and basil will be planted...They tend to confuse deceive pest that recognizes their victim by smell. I farm organically so I used Neem oil, Ginger/Garlic Extract, and plethora of other pest management procedures.

Water: Cucumbers love water and if you can't supply enough then don't think of risking it. There is this thing about mulching that I noticed. Mulching the sack with leaves can save a lot of stress. Frogs and lizards love to hide around the bags as well. I initially I never trusted their presence, but after careful study, I discover that they are working on my side. They feed on the pests attacking the plants. They can however become a nuisance in early stage of the plants life...they clip the leaves of the tender plant destroying them. Squirrels also are great nemesis.

Spacing: Three plants in a sack appears to be too much for the sack. I think two plants are good to go. Three can be so crowded

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Enugu Man Celebrates Biggest Yam Harvest (Photo) / My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm / Nwachi Oster-Francis Develops Hybrid Of Tilapia At The Universiti Putra

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.