Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,771 members, 7,827,849 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:53 PM

Ten Things Non-programmers Should Know About Programmers - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Ten Things Non-programmers Should Know About Programmers (6508 Views)

Explaining To Non-programmers How Complex Software Development Is (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Re: Ten Things Non-programmers Should Know About Programmers by airsaylongcon: 12:56am On Sep 21, 2016
logicalhumour:
You make me laugh.. really.
look, the fact that mama Jenifer at lagos uses manufactured leather to package her moimoi does not mean mama Ene somewhere at Ipole-owukpa cannot use banana leaves (of which gives the okpa / moimoi a more yummy taste ).

I bet you don't know saw dust can be used to cook in a stylish tin (a way more efficient than kerosene... no whiteman gave any "theory" for that... tws hard necessity of a naija person who never learnt physics ) .

white men never thought us how to make fire... though our ancestors ate roasted meat!.

The cocoa we planted before the arrival of the white men was natural and healthy (they stole some and brought bournvita... brought bqck some genetically modified (dangerous ) species... brought back theories of 'best ways to plant cocoa ' - WTF... did they give us those useless theories before they stole our naturally cultivated cocoa? ...(before I forget my last bracket - for a proper nesting , let me add it ))

We had cotton, we used cotton to spin yerns to simple clothing - no theories.

we were intelligent enough to make and shoot arrows without knowledge of projectiles... we killed animals without angle of projection.

When I was in the U.S, I usually got some old folks drunk and saw how some...

(I Don vex. I'll charge my battery and come back ) OP - Iam sorry sha

You are further butressing my point. Our forebears were mediocre shooting arrows, the white man with a better understanding of the theory of projectiles decided to make guns. Their guns made them top-notch big game killers while our forbears killed small game. You know I can kill more big game with a gun than with a bow and arrow.

And you shot yourself mentioning Cocoa. We locked the beans while those with better understanding of the theory of biochemistry made chocolates which command considerably more financial value. Their so-called

We roasted meat with fire while better knowledge of theory showed that you can harness the power of fire to do more than roast meat. You can roast a whole city of your enemies with less effort. Heck you can make fireworks that will hold people spell bound.

For crying out loud it was knowledge of theory that made us realise that we can cut wood in more efficient ways before sawdust can even be obtained. Even the knowledge that banana leaves can be used to wrap moimoi is knowledge of theory. Why didn't they use any leave like pawpaw leave or the leaves of the fruit we call "fruit" (called Indian Almond in English or Ebelebor in Warri/Benin pidgin)

My friend without theory you can go thus far, with theory you can go farther than "thus far". That's the difference between an Average programmer and a top-notch programmer. We shouldn't be satisfied with mediocrity. We should aspire for excellence.

A clear example of a top-notch software is Moodle, a widely used Virtual Learning Environment. While most Nigerian programmers will want to build from scratch a VLE, top notch developers (and lazy people like me) take moodle and use it in very diverse ways than the originator intended. I for example use Moodle to conduct a variety of Computer-Based exams that the average Nigerian programmer won't ever think of. Knowledge of theory my friend is very crucial
Re: Ten Things Non-programmers Should Know About Programmers by logicalhumour: 4:15am On Sep 21, 2016
airsaylongcon:

You are further butressing my point. Our forebears were mediocre shooting arrows, the white man with a better understanding of the theory of projectiles decided to make guns. Their guns made them top-notch big game killers while our forbears killed small game. You know I can kill more big game with a gun than with a bow and arrow.

And you shot yourself mentioning Cocoa. We locked the beans while those with better understanding of the theory of biochemistry made chocolates which command considerably more financial value. Their so-called

We roasted meat with fire while better knowledge of theory showed that you can harness the power of fire to do more than roast meat. You can roast a whole city of your enemies with less effort. Heck you can make fireworks that will hold people spell bound.

For crying out loud it was knowledge of theory that made us realise that we can cut wood in more efficient ways before sawdust can even be obtained. Even the knowledge that banana leaves can be used to wrap moimoi is knowledge of theory. Why didn't they use any leave like pawpaw leave or the leaves of the fruit we call "fruit" (called Indian Almond in English or Ebelebor in Warri/Benin pidgin)

My friend without theory you can go thus far, with theory you can go farther than "thus far". That's the difference between an Average programmer and a top-notch programmer. We shouldn't be satisfied with mediocrity. We should aspire for excellence.

A clear example of a top-notch software is Moodle, a widely used Virtual Learning Environment. While most Nigerian programmers will want to build from scratch a VLE, top notch developers (and lazy people like me) take moodle and use it in very diverse ways than the originator intended. I for example use Moodle to conduct a variety of Computer-Based exams that the average Nigerian programmer won't ever think of. Knowledge of theory my friend is very crucial
You Are A Smart Guy, but, wake up and stop thinking the white man woke and just started making guns! (they started also from the stone age, they shot arrows, they wore seamless gowns etc ).

Your point was that there would have been no electricity or something similar ...Not Correct !

Go to Wikipedia and read the history of planes (may look like a lengthy scribe - but endure till you finish. )
You'll discover something amazing (which would prove my point )

Scientists who never saw each other (scattered all over the world ) began to postulate theories of how an object could be made to fly (can you beat this?) ...all of them may have known about torque but called it different names.

Wikipedia would show you some pictures (you will see how entirely unique their inventions / theories were).

Theory is divided into two. The written and non-written. The primitive Africans had theories, A child in those days would not just start making arrows without learning from the father who may have said "boy, always stream-line your arrows" ) the white man stream-lined objects... maybe to reduce air friction, and the primitive African did so... maybe to have a greater penetration power!

The world is dynamic...

Needs always arise and invention is the outcome

Galilee Galileo said to himself when he was a little boy "I want to go into the moon" ...he wasn't able because Haman intelligence had not yet evolved to a greater state as at then But Lo and behold !...just because he wasn't able to enter the moon didn't mean someone never entered!

Look at this...

There was a time when a famous scientists' works were reviewed long after he died, scientists discovered he was trying to invent something that already existed in a BETTER And DIFFERENT way...this had happened many times in history.

Just dedicate a week in reading science histories... you'll discover!

'Electricity ' have solved the problem of electricity and we are so preoccupied to reinvent it!

Columbus didn't circumnavigate the plannet because he lacked resources and saw land - America. He stopped. That didn't stop Ferdinand and his crew from truly circumnavigating the plannet!

The Guy who discovered photo cells and how to store charges ('somehow electric charges') wasnt set out to discover another form of electricity ) ...those are our solar panels today...
though he continued his work (but if there was no electricity... he would have stopped there and electricity today would have been just solar! which is entirely different from this ancient electricity ...it doesn't even depends on it. )

Solar(reuseable ) energy is another "electricity" which does not depend on "electricity" AND can do what "electricity" can do and can do what "electricity" can't do which makes it better than "electricity". (oboy? abi yhu Don forget? grin ).
Re: Ten Things Non-programmers Should Know About Programmers by Nobody: 4:18pm On Aug 13, 2017
Bump

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Review My App I Built From Scratch / Friendzone / Tech Trends + Jobs Whatsapp Group

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.