Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,070 members, 7,821,677 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:46 PM

Ten Things Non-programmers Should Know About Programmers - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Ten Things Non-programmers Should Know About Programmers (6506 Views)

Explaining To Non-programmers How Complex Software Development Is (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ten Things Non-programmers Should Know About Programmers by Nobody: 9:17pm On Jun 02, 2016
Raypawer:
if i were to recommend any lang, that will be C if u've got a tutor, cos you'll learn the basic concepts of programming, then either C#, Java or Golang depending on what you want to create, but if you want to be self taught, you can go for any of the later, as it will help you the more.
I don't have a tutor and I just started off earlier this week with html. You think I should change to the latter you mentioned? I guess C#, Java or Golang serve different purposes because of your assertion @bolded. What distinct functions do they serve?

No vex for my JJC questions sha. grin Thanks
Re: Ten Things Non-programmers Should Know About Programmers by Fulaman198(m): 9:49pm On Jun 02, 2016
NewSheriff:
I don't have a tutor and I just started off earlier this week with html. You think I should change to the latter you mentioned? I guess C#, Java or Golang serve different purposes because of your assertion @bolded. What distinct functions do they serve?

No vex for my JJC questions sha. grin Thanks

If you know C#, you know Java and vice versa. They languages are about 95% the same. What he meant was using these languages with different frame works. Learning Java or C# doesn't matter, but once you learn the language well enough to venture into different frameworks, like Spring for Java, then that's when you make your decision. You should also know that Java is used for Android development.
Re: Ten Things Non-programmers Should Know About Programmers by oluwaskulboy(m): 12:29pm On Jun 03, 2016
DEVELOPING AN ANDROID APP, WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW. http://techzone.com.ng/2016/05/05/developing- android-app-know/
Re: Ten Things Non-programmers Should Know About Programmers by Nobody: 5:51pm On Jun 04, 2016
Fulaman198:

If you know C#, you know Java and vice versa. They languages are about 95% the same. What he meant was using these languages with different frame works. Learning Java or C# doesn't matter, but once you learn the language well enough to venture into different frameworks, like Spring for Java, then that's when you make your decision. You should also know that Java is used for Android development.

C# is also used for android, IOS and windows development.

Cc: NewSheriff
Re: Ten Things Non-programmers Should Know About Programmers by Limerick: 12:25am On Jun 05, 2016
Can I make money off Programming? As in become a real-time earner?
Re: Ten Things Non-programmers Should Know About Programmers by ajsans: 3:48pm On Jun 11, 2016
Raypawer:
U have a point but you are not right here, there are paid resources that you can learn from if you really want to learn, you see why most of the self taught programmer end up as averagees is because they really or may not want to pay to learn, they end up watching youtube videos, lynda, plurasight videos they got through shared torrent, and as far as they create something that can talk to db thats all, thats why nigerian sites are mostly insecured.

Am Good with BST, SkipList
still working on Graphs and Maps, Set

So what's advice will you give to a newbie like me. Was about downloading some of these videos form those sites you mentioned and couple it with some PDF ebooks online.An advice will be highly appreciated.
Re: Ten Things Non-programmers Should Know About Programmers by ajsans: 3:56pm On Jun 11, 2016
Fulaman198:

Fulaman198 you never seems to run out of advice. Couple with the fact that you are a network engineer amazes me on how you are good in both. Always wanted to do the same, but advice from friends stout say it's not possible. I will be starting off with programming for now before delving into networking. I think I have found myself a mentor and will be seeking your advice from time to time. I hope I won't be disturbing you.
Re: Ten Things Non-programmers Should Know About Programmers by Raypawer(m): 4:33pm On Jun 11, 2016
Am not totally condeming those video, but what am saying which is the truth is that they will not and will never show you or teach you everything, not even up to fifty percent of what you ought to know, from experience, but as a newbie, u can watch it, i once used them, even when i had a teacher, mentor, so what i would advice you is
- Be Determined to get to the top!
- Ask God For Help
- Get A Tutor, at least the learning process would be faster by half the time
- Read Book, this is where you'll be taught almost everything
- Join Forums, forums like quora, nairaland sha though its becoming childish, codeproject, stackoverflow
- Let Others Review Your Work
- Don't Be Too Money Concious, at least till when you are a big shot in the game, this will help you build portfolio for yourself
- Have A Repository With Github
- Work With Others, join a team of programmers
- Etc
ajsans:

So what's advice will you give to a newbie like me. An advice will be highly appreciated.
Re: Ten Things Non-programmers Should Know About Programmers by Fulaman198(m): 11:04pm On Jun 11, 2016
ajsans:

Fulaman198 you never seems to run out of advice. Couple with the fact that you are a network engineer amazes me on how you are good in both. Always wanted to do the same, but advice from friends stout say it's not possible. I will be starting off with programming for now before delving into networking. I think I have found myself a mentor and will be seeking your advice from time to time. I hope I won't be disturbing you.

Thanks for your kind words. It's quite possible to be well-rounded in all aspects of computer science if you allow yourself to be. Sure, you should have one area that you know the most, but you should know a lot in each field to be able to effectively communicate with other engineers of different specializations.

When you go to school for Computer Science or Computer Engineering, they give you a well-rounded education for software engineering and networking knowledge up to the CCENT/CCNA level depending on which classes you take.

If you are studying Comp Sci or Comp Engineering, I advise that you take the general comp sci classes you need, a data structures & algorithms class, a discrete math/structures class, an operating systems class, a compiler theory class, a database class, a network class, and a class for mobile app development.

Those classes should definitely give you a very well-rounded knowledge.
Re: Ten Things Non-programmers Should Know About Programmers by Raypawer(m): 2:04am On Jun 12, 2016
which school in nigeria do teach all these?

Fulaman198:

Thanks for your kind words. It's quite possible to be well-rounded in all aspects of computer science if you allow yourself to be. Sure, you should have one area that you know the most, but you should know a lot in each field to be able to effectively communicate with other engineers of different specializations.

When you go to school for Computer Science or Computer Engineering, they give you a well-rounded education for software engineering and networking knowledge up to the CCENT/CCNA level depending on which classes you take.

If you are studying Comp Sci or Comp Engineering, I advise that you take the general comp sci classes you need, a data structures & algorithms class, a discrete math/structures class, an operating systems class, a compiler theory class, a database class, a network class, and a class for mobile app development.

Those classes give you a very well-rounded knowledge.
Re: Ten Things Non-programmers Should Know About Programmers by ajsans: 7:42am On Jun 12, 2016
Raypawer:
Am not totally condeming those video, but what am saying which is the truth is that they will not and will never show you or teach you everything, not even up to fifty percent of what you ought to know, from experience, but as a newbie, u can watch it, i once used them, even when i had a teacher, mentor, so what i would advice you is
- Ask God For Help
- Join Forums, forums like quora, nairaland sha though its becoming childish, codeproject, stackoverflow
- Don't Be Too Money Concious, at least till when you are a big shot in the game, this will help you build portfolio for yourself
- Etc
Thanks for the advice raypawer. I really appreciate.
Re: Ten Things Non-programmers Should Know About Programmers by ajsans: 7:54am On Jun 12, 2016
Fulaman198:

Those classes should definitely give you a very well-rounded knowledge.
Wow I wish i saw this advice during my undergraduate days. Just recently graduated with an electrical and electronics engineering degree. Found out that I had much love for I.T than electrical engineering as a whole.
Re: Ten Things Non-programmers Should Know About Programmers by Fulaman198(m): 4:38pm On Jun 12, 2016
ajsans:

Wow I wish i saw this advice during my undergraduate days. Just recently graduated with an electrical and electronics engineering degree. Found out that I had much love for I.T than electrical engineering as a whole.

Depending on which field of electrical engineering you chose to study, you could still have gone an I.T route. Both Computer Science and Computer engineering have their respective roots in electrical engineering.
Re: Ten Things Non-programmers Should Know About Programmers by ajsans: 2:59pm On Jun 15, 2016
Fulaman198:

Depending on which field of electrical engineering you chose to study, you could still have gone an I.T route. Both Computer Science and Computer engineering have their respective roots in electrical engineering.
You are right about computer science and engineering having their root in electrical engineering. I am going the I.T route now. Will be dedicating my one year of service (NYSC) learning programming. In the future will delve into networking. Currently watching videos on foundation programming from Lynda and taking notes. I hope am in the right path.
Re: Ten Things Non-programmers Should Know About Programmers by mcqwerty(m): 9:38pm On Jul 01, 2016
PHP is the language of web applications. People go around and bashing this prog language and that prog language. Each language was created to solve a problem, there's no "magic bullet" prog lang for all.
Re: Ten Things Non-programmers Should Know About Programmers by abenmariem: 10:29am On Aug 18, 2016
Many people are asking about polymorphism.
polymorphism is an OOP concept that is not related to a specefic programming language.
It is divided into two types: static and dynamic polymorphism
I suggest to take alook at the polymorphism in java tutorial to learn more about this important concept.
Re: Ten Things Non-programmers Should Know About Programmers by ysd01(m): 5:07pm On Sep 18, 2016
Raypawer:
- Ask God For Help
- Etc
Brother you are truly a good brain in the PROFESSION, perfect advice for aspirers like me. I salute you.
Re: Ten Things Non-programmers Should Know About Programmers by puma90: 6:46pm On Sep 19, 2016
who gives a shit about being computer science student.i can say som self taught programmers are better dan a prof in computer science.wat matters his solvn problems wit tins u knw, nt knwn millions of useless theories u cnt implement on real life problem.can a prof in computer science talk wen bil gate an harvard drop out is talkn wat matters is practicals and solutns.

1 Like

Re: Ten Things Non-programmers Should Know About Programmers by airsaylongcon: 12:55am On Sep 20, 2016
puma90:
who gives a shit about being computer science student.i can say som self taught programmers are better dan a prof in computer science.wat matters his solvn problems wit tins u knw, nt knwn millions of useless theories u cnt implement on real life problem.can a prof in computer science talk wen bil gate an harvard drop out is talkn wat matters is practicals and solutns.

You need to look at the syllabus of modern computer science programmes before you start running your mouth. We need the academicians to formulate the theories on which the practicals are built. Imagine Einstein didn't come up with his theory of relativity, which stupid person would have had a basis to build something practical when the foundation wasn't there in the 1st place. Talking of Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg as outperforming university professors is akin to saying Ronaldo or Messi are regular footballers. For every Mark Zuckerberg there are a million unsuccessfuls
Re: Ten Things Non-programmers Should Know About Programmers by puma90: 9:36am On Sep 20, 2016
airsaylongcon:

You need to look at the syllabus of modern computer science programmes before you start running your mouth. We need the academicians to formulate the theories on which the practicals are built. Imagine Einstein didn't come up with his theory of relativity, which stupid person would have had a basis to build something practical when the foundation wasn't there in the 1st place. Talking of Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg as outperforming university professors is akin to saying Ronaldo or Messi are regular footballers. For every Mark Zuckerberg there are a million unsuccessfuls
b4 u run ur mouth abt estein and newton wats d point of knownin every physic theories and u can,t connect wires to create simple electricity and an electrician who never saw d 4 walls of school can connect a whole buildn.all am sayn is i dispute d fact dat if u dnt av degree in computer science u cnt b a good programmer.

1 Like

Re: Ten Things Non-programmers Should Know About Programmers by airsaylongcon: 10:21am On Sep 20, 2016
puma90:
b4 u run ur mouth abt estein and newton wats d point of knownin every physic theories and u can,t connect wires to create simple electricity and an electrician who never saw d 4 walls of school can connect a whole buildn.all am sayn is i dispute d fact dat if u dnt av degree in computer science u cnt b a good programmer.

U fail to get the point! Without Einstein or Newton there would be no electrician! There would be no electricity in the first place. You cannot be a top notch programmer if you do not know the theory if computer science. Average programmes yes but never top-notch. If you doubt it let me drop one question for you here that will leave you in twist for days
Re: Ten Things Non-programmers Should Know About Programmers by puma90: 10:45am On Sep 20, 2016
airsaylongcon:

U fail to get the point! Without Einstein or Newton there would be no electrician! There would be no electricity in the first place. You cannot be a top notch programmer if you do not know the theory if computer science. Average programmes yes but never top-notch. If you doubt it let me drop one question for you here that will leave you in twist for days
it is u dat u r nt gettn d point. am talkn abt problem solvn programn like build webb apps and mobile app nt academic and theoretical aspect.i am sayn am able to build a mobile app in c++ with 5star rate in google play n am a self taught and u a 1st class in comp science know all d data structures of c++ and u cant build a simple app sound familiar.i dn,t dispute d fact dat its good to learn few theoretical aspect but i disput d fact dat u can never b a top notch developer being self taught.
Re: Ten Things Non-programmers Should Know About Programmers by airsaylongcon: 12:06pm On Sep 20, 2016
puma90:
it is u dat u r nt gettn d point. am talkn abt problem solvn programn like build webb apps and mobile app nt academic and theoretical aspect.i am sayn am able to build a mobile app in c++ with 5star rate in google play n am a self taught and u a 1st class in comp science know all d data structures of c++ and u cant build a simple app sound familiar.i dn,t dispute d fact dat its good to learn few theoretical aspect but i disput d fact dat u can never b a top notch developer being self taught.

First of all, a 5star rating on Google play doesn't equate to been a top programmer. Can you for example tell me what algorithm/algorithms you have chosen to deploy in your apps, the reason behind your choices and say efficiency of your chosen algorithms. Why have u chosen to develop on Android and not sat on iPhone were there are more stringent requirements for memory utilisation.

Do you for example understand what machine learning or neural networks are and how you can optimally deploy them in building advanced apps that can learn from their "experiences"?

And know I never said you can never been a top-notch programmer if you are self taught. I said you can never be a top-notch programmer if you do not know the theory of computer science. Whether you decide to teach your self the theory or learn it via an academic program is not the crux of my argument. My point is that without the theory you can never go far
Re: Ten Things Non-programmers Should Know About Programmers by logicalhumour: 7:53pm On Sep 20, 2016
ysd01:
People Usually see Programmers as super humans with special powers to command computers. But this is not true, as every person grows in his profession through practice the same applies to a computer programmer, [Read more...] they are just people who know how to speak to computers and nothing more, But wait, let us see the ten things a programmers wants a non-programmer to know about them.

0. Programmers start counting from zero .
1. Becoming a doctor o...

10. It can be bad for your health if you're not careful (programmers sit a lot, they stare at a glowing screen all day, they type a lot). But it does retain a healthy brain because they're always solving problems.

source: https://techneer./2016/05/31/ten-things-non-programmers-should-know-about-programmers/
Lol. My mum and every one around me are really scared now. I stay more than 15hrs standby on My desktop. I don't have a black spec (I'll try to get one soon though ).

My Mom and some others keep warning me of the feature health challenges I may experience... but I just keep wishing my Mom was a core programmer like me. Iam currently working on something... something I thank God (literally ) daily.. for giving me such unique idea... it's something that would change the mindset of programmers / web devs. it's not a forum, not a social network... just nothing you can imagine yet wink .

Iam so anxious of completing the entirely new idea... #can't wait... that means #can't sleep too !

Phewww!

……OP. Your title conflicts your post. You mentioned 11 thing's grin
Re: Ten Things Non-programmers Should Know About Programmers by logicalhumour: 8:04pm On Sep 20, 2016
Raypawer:
i totally disagree with number 3, you can say average or php programmers flod the market, as you would hardly find those that can write a program that can speak to hardware like thumb print scanner, face recognition app, gate opener, not to even talk of SAP ERP, IOT, Embeded systems, etc Thats why it is said that come 2o...
it will not get better as many other sectors are getting automated, it calls for more programmers.
Learn those stuff... waka with ur CV till you tire (for naija )...the money is with the underatted PHP wink ...I left those things... just a few months with PHP... levels Don change. PHP... I Rep you!
Re: Ten Things Non-programmers Should Know About Programmers by logicalhumour: 8:10pm On Sep 20, 2016
Raypawer:
Php as a whole is not secured, neither is it a language i would advise any to learn, i thank God i had a good tutor nd experienced programmers arround me that told me the truth. if u want to end as an average web programmer, stick to php, otherwise get out of that zone it has never helped and would'nt help...!
are you serious? Tell that to Facebook
Re: Ten Things Non-programmers Should Know About Programmers by logicalhumour: 8:17pm On Sep 20, 2016
ysd01:

Haba Bros, when you write OOP code... you can reuse it, do more with less code. e.g creating a class that needs some properties where it is already somewhere, you just INHERIT the parent class, OOP code is also modular than pp. polymorphism where you treat objects in several forms, etc. this are my reason for saying that.
Seems asiv you just learn with PDFs. without putting into real-world practice... most times, your program WILL never need inheritance. (na your type dey buy Ferrari (for example) go farm... just because it's trending )
Re: Ten Things Non-programmers Should Know About Programmers by logicalhumour: 8:29pm On Sep 20, 2016
Limerick:
Can I make money off Programming? As in become a real-time earner?
YES!... forget what these pple are saying and settle for php + MySQL. na there money dey! (you can replace PHP with Django, JSP, or Rails in the future if you feel somehow ) wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ten Things Non-programmers Should Know About Programmers by logicalhumour: 8:37pm On Sep 20, 2016
Raypawer:
Am not totally condeming those video, but what am saying which is the truth is that they will not and will never show you or teach you everything...
P.O.C: No human nor machine can teach you everything...you Learn from the videos and do more research for yourself (na your type wan learn hac-ing and dey type "download complete PDF on how to hac-k" abi )
Re: Ten Things Non-programmers Should Know About Programmers by logicalhumour: 9:00pm On Sep 20, 2016
airsaylongcon:

Oboy, you should be more intelligent than this na... na war for you oo.

…yes, there MAY be no electricity...there would have been something better! (so sad students go to school improving on those ancient stuffs... not many realize they could invent a primary thing any longer ).

Look, before the white men came to spoil us with their technology... we had ours. We had things they actually stole the idea... if the white man hadn't brought an airplane.... one day, an African would have made something that's not an airplane... but flies like one (and used it to discover those white men ).
Sincere white men said if they had left us. our innovations would have been unbeatable.
Oneday, if you're oppotuned to see an alien plannet with intellectual / intelligent beings like us. you would be amazed.

1. There would be no 'electricity ' because there was no... ...some kind of crazy intelligent scientists
2. There would be no 'what we call car... maybe something better or worse.
3. ...

...oboy no talk like that abeg.

Re: Ten Things Non-programmers Should Know About Programmers by airsaylongcon: 9:17pm On Sep 20, 2016
logicalhumour:
Oboy, you should be more intelligent than this na... na war for you oo.

…yes, there MAY be no electricity...there would have been something better! (so sad students go to school improving on those ancient stuffs... not many realize they could invent a primary thing any longer ).

Look, before the white men came to spoil us with their technology... we had ours. We had things they actually stole the idea... if the white man hadn't brought an airplane.... one day, an African would have made something that's not an airplane... but flies like one (and used it to discover those white men ).
Sincere white men said if they had left us. our innovations would have been unbeatable.
Oneday, if you're oppotuned to see an alien plannet with intellectual / intelligent beings like us. you would be amazed.

1. There would be no 'electricity ' because there was no... ...some kind of crazy intelligent scientists
2. There would be no 'what we call car... maybe something better or worse.
3. ...

...oboy no talk like that abeg.

I laugh when people hypothesise. Something better? Like? The fact remains those guys built the theory on which electricity is based on. My point really is that without the theory there won't be any practice. If there is no computer science theory there is no programming. If you don't know how the theory works, you can never be a top notch programmer. This is the point
Re: Ten Things Non-programmers Should Know About Programmers by logicalhumour: 10:09pm On Sep 20, 2016
airsaylongcon:
I laugh when people hypothesise. Something better? Like? The fact remains those guys built the theory on which electricity is based on. My point really is that without the theory there won't be any practice. If there is no computer science theory there is no programming. If you don't know how the theory works, you can never be a top notch programmer. This is the point
You make me laugh.. really.
look, the fact that mama Jenifer at lagos uses manufactured leather to package her moimoi does not mean mama Ene somewhere at Ipole-owukpa cannot use banana leaves (of which gives the okpa / moimoi a more yummy taste ).

I bet you don't know saw dust can be used to cook in a stylish tin (a way more efficient than kerosene... no whiteman gave any "theory" for that... tws hard necessity of a naija person who never learnt physics ) .

white men never thought us how to make fire... though our ancestors ate roasted meat!.

The cocoa we planted before the arrival of the white men was natural and healthy (they stole some and brought bournvita... brought bqck some genetically modified (dangerous ) species... brought back theories of 'best ways to plant cocoa ' - WTF... did they give us those useless theories before they stole our naturally cultivated cocoa? ...(before I forget my last bracket - for a proper nesting , let me add it ))

We had cotton, we used cotton to spin yerns to simple clothing - no theories.

we were intelligent enough to make and shoot arrows without knowledge of projectiles... we killed animals without angle of projection.

When I was in the U.S, I usually got some old folks drunk and saw how some...

(I Don vex. I'll charge my battery and come back ) OP - Iam sorry sha

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Review My App I Built From Scratch / Friendzone / Tech Trends + Jobs Whatsapp Group

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.