Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,320 members, 7,819,092 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:04 AM

Is It A Taboo To Marry Your Sister-in-law - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is It A Taboo To Marry Your Sister-in-law (12151 Views)

9 Marriage Taboo Ishan People Have That Will Amaze You / Olomu: Where It’s Taboo For Pregnant Woman To Die / Iwoye-Ketu: Community Where It’s Taboo To Use Umbrella (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It A Taboo To Marry Your Sister-in-law by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:46am On May 19, 2012
ifyalways: Hell NO!!!
Now i wanna puke,IMO,its inbreeding.Once two families inter marry,they instantly become one blood,co joined so another marriage btwn same families is just gross.Ewww.
This reminds of the the thread where a young but yet to wed couple parents(guys dad,girls mom) fell in love too and wanted to marry themseleves. . .Argh

but how is it inbreeding there is no blood relation.. .
Re: Is It A Taboo To Marry Your Sister-in-law by ifyalways(f): 11:55am On May 19, 2012
There is one ,when the first marriage was contracted.Couple mate and they become one,bloods become same and runs deep into both families.
It just does not seem right and infact ain't right.My brother eyeing my SIL?Holy shiit.
Re: Is It A Taboo To Marry Your Sister-in-law by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:33pm On May 19, 2012
ifyalways: There is one ,when the first marriage was contracted.Couple mate and they become one,bloods become same and runs deep into both families.
It just does not seem right and infact ain't right.My brother eyeing my SIL?Holy shiit.

i think you are watching too many science-fiction movies. your brother is eyeing your wifes sister. how is that odd its not your sister. .
Re: Is It A Taboo To Marry Your Sister-in-law by OdenigboAroli(m): 4:24pm On May 19, 2012
Its forbidden in IGBOLAND and the only people who probably practice that are the osus!!
Re: Is It A Taboo To Marry Your Sister-in-law by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:33pm On May 19, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli: Its forbidden in IGBOLAND and the only people who probably practice that are the osus!!

if its forbidden by Igbo culture than i think you should do your duty and folow it. but i dont get your mentality. you throw your religion in the bin, and yet you folow these small customs. i really dont get it. undecided
Re: Is It A Taboo To Marry Your Sister-in-law by Fulaman198(m): 5:08pm On May 19, 2012
It is very big taboo in almost all African cultures. I would say it is forbidden in all Sahelian cultures.
Re: Is It A Taboo To Marry Your Sister-in-law by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:44pm On May 19, 2012
^^^^we do it. undecided
Re: Is It A Taboo To Marry Your Sister-in-law by Fulaman198(m): 7:58pm On May 19, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
^^^^we do it. undecided

Sister in law?
Re: Is It A Taboo To Marry Your Sister-in-law by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:13pm On May 19, 2012
Fulaman198:

Sister in law?

yes whats wrong its not blood relation is it? what if say, i live in Nigeria and i marry a woman and by some coincidence, that womans sister marries my brother living in the uk its perfectly alright. infact it will further discourage and prevent our actual blood related children marrying each other. cool
Re: Is It A Taboo To Marry Your Sister-in-law by Fulaman198(m): 3:07am On May 20, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

yes whats wrong its not blood relation is it? what if say, i live in Nigeria and i marry a woman and by some coincidence, that womans sister
marries my brother living in the uk its perfectly alright. infact it will further discourage and prevent our actual blood related children marrying each other. cool

I think you misunderstood brother,that is your brothers wife.
Re: Is It A Taboo To Marry Your Sister-in-law by odumchi: 3:13am On May 20, 2012
This was isn't bad at all.
In many parts of pre-colonial Igboland, when a man died, his brother would marry his wife and inherit all of his property.
Re: Is It A Taboo To Marry Your Sister-in-law by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:31am On May 20, 2012
Fulaman198:

I think you misunderstood brother,that is your brothers wife.

BY THE GODS!!!!!!!! sorry i really misunderstood. sorry ifyalways! sad

we dont do that. Fula is right. . tongue
it is not a buy one, get one free package.
Re: Is It A Taboo To Marry Your Sister-in-law by NRIPRIEST(m): 1:33am On May 25, 2012
odumchi: This was isn't bad at all.
In many parts of pre-colonial Igboland, when a man died, his brother would marry his wife and inherit all of his property.

That was precolonial Igboland and we all know there was nothing like divorce then!! And that practice would most likely prevail in a case when the widow has had kids for the late husband and is still very young and mind you,not everybody complied with that practice cos some remarried after mourning their husband.
Re: Is It A Taboo To Marry Your Sister-in-law by Obiagu1(m): 5:33am On May 25, 2012
What about twins that married twins?
Re: Is It A Taboo To Marry Your Sister-in-law by bumeks(f): 2:51pm On Mar 08, 2015
HarryPotter1:
according 2 the Igbo tradition it is a very big TABOO 2 do dat and even if they are not biologically related it is not a proper thing 2 do abi girls don finish 4 naija.
pls don't say wht u don't knw, it is not any taboo in Igbo land,I av seen it happen severally
Re: Is It A Taboo To Marry Your Sister-in-law by Nobody: 7:22pm On Mar 08, 2015
I have read of twins marrying twins. That's is two male twins marrying two same female twins.
Though it seems not, one among sexual sins condemned at Leviticus chapter 18:6-18 precisely verse 18 drew attention to what is condemned. if a man should marry two sisters, but nothing there indicates that two brothers may not marry sisters of same parents.
Verse 18, is a critical lesson of what Jacob's went through between Rachel and Leah, the two women that through rivalry built the house of Israel.
Grab a copy of the Bible in modern English, and over 200 languages at
http://jw.org

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

18-year Old Beautiful Girl Marries Dog In India (pictures & Video) / Awujale Showers Praise On Globacom For Ojude Oba Festival / Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.