Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,756 members, 7,824,169 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:17 AM

Kelechi Iheanacho With Ahmed Yusuf In 2010 & 2016: Refuting Age Cheat Allegation - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Kelechi Iheanacho With Ahmed Yusuf In 2010 & 2016: Refuting Age Cheat Allegation (72017 Views)

Kelechi Iheanacho Wore Igbo Cap To Leicester City Vs Swansea Game / Yaya Toure Leaves Kelechi Iheanacho In An Imbroglio Over Man Of The Match Mixup / Victor Emenayo & Age Cheat: Azerbaijani Media Claims 23Yr Old Player Is Over 40 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kelechi Iheanacho With Ahmed Yusuf In 2010 & 2016: Refuting Age Cheat Allegation by kareemkamil(m): 7:29am On Jun 01, 2016
Am happy 4 u oooooo guy

1 Like

Re: Kelechi Iheanacho With Ahmed Yusuf In 2010 & 2016: Refuting Age Cheat Allegation by ribbit: 7:31am On Jun 01, 2016
Pyno30:
Ask Buhari
so buhari turned you to mumu?

Good to know
Re: Kelechi Iheanacho With Ahmed Yusuf In 2010 & 2016: Refuting Age Cheat Allegation by zicky(m): 7:32am On Jun 01, 2016
omonnakoda:
Define Star? Is Finidi George a Star ? What about Mikel Obi?
when I said Star like just tell you what came to my mind, I remember going to a shop near my house to buy "best of kanu", "best of jayjay" of cause Finidi is a star and Mikel has the making of a star bt .... Am looking forward to a "best of Nacho"

1 Like

Re: Kelechi Iheanacho With Ahmed Yusuf In 2010 & 2016: Refuting Age Cheat Allegation by Nobody: 7:38am On Jun 01, 2016
Pyno30:
Lolz. I be ur lover
u talk as if u b d guy
Re: Kelechi Iheanacho With Ahmed Yusuf In 2010 & 2016: Refuting Age Cheat Allegation by Pyno30: 7:44am On Jun 01, 2016
ugohemma:
u talk as if u b d guy
I be em broda
Re: Kelechi Iheanacho With Ahmed Yusuf In 2010 & 2016: Refuting Age Cheat Allegation by Pyno30: 7:45am On Jun 01, 2016
ribbit:
so buhari turned you to mumu?
Good to know
Plus you naw.
Re: Kelechi Iheanacho With Ahmed Yusuf In 2010 & 2016: Refuting Age Cheat Allegation by Nobody: 7:46am On Jun 01, 2016
tbaba1234:

From under 5 feet to about 5 11 .... very UNNATURAL! !!
I can't just make this up that I played with iheanacho, then we were team mates alongside with chidi, katoka, Chima to mention but a few. Our final match was aired at NTA then, I could have put up a pix to show but can't find any. Forgive me it's been quite a very long time. He is 24 years not 16 or 17 also the photo put up wasn't taken 2010, it was taken before 2006 (before I joined Taye academy)
Re: Kelechi Iheanacho With Ahmed Yusuf In 2010 & 2016: Refuting Age Cheat Allegation by Nobody: 7:47am On Jun 01, 2016
Pyno30:
I be em broda
i dey reason same thing now,, na ihiagwa una hail from
Re: Kelechi Iheanacho With Ahmed Yusuf In 2010 & 2016: Refuting Age Cheat Allegation by omonnakoda: 7:50am On Jun 01, 2016
zicky:
when I said Star like just tell you what came to my mind, I remember going to a shop near my house to buy "best of kanu", "best of jayjay" of cause Finidi is a star and Mikel has the making of a star bt .... Am looking forward to a "best of Nacho"
well Mikel and Finidi are more of stars than JJ
Re: Kelechi Iheanacho With Ahmed Yusuf In 2010 & 2016: Refuting Age Cheat Allegation by ribbit: 7:50am On Jun 01, 2016
[s]
Pyno30:
Plus you naw.
[/s]don't mix poop with food

I use my brain, you don't. That's the big difference between us.
Re: Kelechi Iheanacho With Ahmed Yusuf In 2010 & 2016: Refuting Age Cheat Allegation by Pyno30: 7:52am On Jun 01, 2016
ribbit:
[s][/s]don't mix poop with food

I use my brain, you don't. That's the big difference between us.
ok. If u want d Car come and collect it
Re: Kelechi Iheanacho With Ahmed Yusuf In 2010 & 2016: Refuting Age Cheat Allegation by Pyno30: 7:53am On Jun 01, 2016
ugohemma:
i dey reason same thing now,, na ihiagwa una hail from
Imo State naw.
Re: Kelechi Iheanacho With Ahmed Yusuf In 2010 & 2016: Refuting Age Cheat Allegation by Amberon11: 7:56am On Jun 01, 2016
I fear oo. some people don't use their eyes. That pix wasn't take in 2010.
LouisVanGaal:
This pix CAN'T be in 2010 na..that particular jersey was done by addidas in 2006..@ most d pix is 2007..again, check out dat man's suit...it looks way below 2010

1 Like

Re: Kelechi Iheanacho With Ahmed Yusuf In 2010 & 2016: Refuting Age Cheat Allegation by zicky(m): 7:56am On Jun 01, 2016
omonnakoda:
well Mikel and Finidi are more of stars than JJ
Fans decide who is a Star not necessary the award or club you play for, and many will not agree with you

2 Likes

Re: Kelechi Iheanacho With Ahmed Yusuf In 2010 & 2016: Refuting Age Cheat Allegation by jaafree: 8:04am On Jun 01, 2016
zicky:
Iheanacho the next star to come out from Nigeria after jayjay and Kanu
. I doubt that Alex iwobi and musa yahya are much better to me its just a matter of opportunity

1 Like

Re: Kelechi Iheanacho With Ahmed Yusuf In 2010 & 2016: Refuting Age Cheat Allegation by gazmann(m): 8:10am On Jun 01, 2016
chinchum:
less than 1% of boys grow taller after age 20, infact after age 19, most boys stop growing in height, for girls , by age 16-17.

He cant be older than 14 in this picture.

I havent added an inch since 17 you are correct
Re: Kelechi Iheanacho With Ahmed Yusuf In 2010 & 2016: Refuting Age Cheat Allegation by Amberon11: 8:14am On Jun 01, 2016
You are very erroneous. People rarely ever stop growing at 16/17 and 18. On most occasions the bones "lock" at 19. there's a medical term for it which I can't remember now.
tbaba1234:

Oga, I was also a teenager.... By 16/17/18, Most teenagers have stopped growing. Only very few cases go up to 21.

And you are wrong.. 12-16 is the period of most growth.

You can read more here:

http://www.newhealthguide.org/When-Do-Men-Stop-Growing.html

Re: Kelechi Iheanacho With Ahmed Yusuf In 2010 & 2016: Refuting Age Cheat Allegation by zicky(m): 8:19am On Jun 01, 2016
jaafree:
. I doubt that Alex iwobi and musa yahya are much better to me its just a matter of opportunity
no doubt iwobi and yahaya are good players, but same way oruma appear to be better than kanu in 93, but when you see a star you will know
Re: Kelechi Iheanacho With Ahmed Yusuf In 2010 & 2016: Refuting Age Cheat Allegation by folem: 8:30am On Jun 01, 2016
Hmm.
Re: Kelechi Iheanacho With Ahmed Yusuf In 2010 & 2016: Refuting Age Cheat Allegation by wayodude(m): 8:40am On Jun 01, 2016
I like Kelechi and I think he is generally a young guy who has a massive future ahead of him. I am proud he is ours!!

Now back to the 'debate'

Facts:

In 2013 (pre U-17 World Cup kickoff) MRI scans 'confirmed' he was eligible to compete. i.e The experts were satisfied that he was 17 years of age + or - 2yrs. So on this basis in 2013 it is possible he could have been between 15 and 19 yrs old.

The picture shown where he is wearing a Nigeria Football Jersey throws up some confusion. That particular Jersey was designed by Adidas for the Nigerian National teams in 2006. They were used by the Gold Winning 2007 U-17 Team of Yemi Tella which had the likes of Rabiu, Chrisantus, Oseni see that attached pic as proof. Compare the Jersey worn by Nacho and that of 2007 U-17 boys Chrisantus and Rabiu. There are the same abi?

In 2010 (Pre-world cup 2010) the National Team Jersey was still produced by Adidas but it was of a different design. This newer design was issued in 2008. Siasia's U-23s used this Jersey in the Beijing Olymipcs (See attached pic). The Jersey remained unchanged until the 2010 World Cup proper.

So if Kelechi played for a Nigerian team in 2010 he should at the very least have been wearing the same Jersey as the one worn by the 2008 olympic team. However, being that it was an under U-13s team he was playing for it is also possible that 'poor admin' reasons led to his team being given old kit to play in. This is Nigeria.

Conclusion: From the above evidence the worst case Scenario is that Kelechi was 13 yrs old in 2007 which would mean he is 22 yrs old now. Which would then mean he was 19 yrs old when he played the U-17 world cup in 2013, and this would explain why he passed the MRI scan test with the + or - 2 yrs margin.

Thank you.

You can now continue to fight yourselves.

3 Likes

Re: Kelechi Iheanacho With Ahmed Yusuf In 2010 & 2016: Refuting Age Cheat Allegation by eitsei(m): 8:43am On Jun 01, 2016
Pyno30:
This pix was taken back in 1992
and the man in the picture remain the same after 24 years?

1 Like

Re: Kelechi Iheanacho With Ahmed Yusuf In 2010 & 2016: Refuting Age Cheat Allegation by gazmann(m): 8:49am On Jun 01, 2016
My take on football and age . Come professional career perfomance and being competitive does not correlate with age. Some stars that burst in to reckoning at 16 -18 yrs keep going till 28. Eg owen . Torres et al While some slow burners and steady performers stay relevant thru 16-33 eg Evra Keita et al some superb stars carry on thru 16 and keep top form till 33 eg PIRLO giggs Gerrard. That said Kelechi Iheanacho is a good youth investment for manchester and Nigeria as long as he carrys on for a lengthy competitive carreer be him 19 or 24. Because some stars we may okay at 19 years today may fizzle out and finished in the next six years.

1 Like

Re: Kelechi Iheanacho With Ahmed Yusuf In 2010 & 2016: Refuting Age Cheat Allegation by safarigirl(f): 8:50am On Jun 01, 2016
zayidhs:
Feature: How Age Fraud Has Affected Nigeria’s Super Eagles

Oh Yes! I am a football fanatic. Just last weekend while watching the beautiful football games played in the English Premier League, a thought crossed my mind during the match between Manchester City and Crystal Palace which was played on January 16.

Nigerian footballers came to my mind and I ask myself – how long will age cheat kill our football? when are players going to stop lying about their real age – which is an obvious deterrent to personal and nationwide growth.

Just recently a debate surrounding age fraud has resurfaced, following a report by Switzerland-based football observatory team on January 12.

The report, however, traced the usual under performance by many African senior teams to massive cheating carried out at their youth levels.

According to the report, countries like Nigeria, Ghana and Cameroon are yet to reach the full potential in their respective senior teams as a result of wrong foundations set with the youth teams.

In this regards, I decided to take a holistic approach in looking at how age cheating (a common act in African football) has affected the growth of the game in the most populous black nation – Nigeria.

Manchester City youngster Kelechi Iheanacho had just provided the assist to Sergio Aguero for his first goal of the game (the Argentine went ahead to get a brace).

However a question from a colleague rattled my mind – Don’t you think Iheanacho, dubbed to be youngest player in Manchester City strike force could be older than Aguero?

I immediately rose to the defence of the young lad, rubbishing the comment knowing fully well Iheanacho is 19. However after a careful perusal on the growth of our youngsters back home, I said to myself “there may be a little sense in the question he just asked”. I expect you to ask me why. However, the reason isn’t far-fetched. Let us take a trip down memory lane.

English coach Harry Redknapp had joked about Nwankwo Kanu’s official age in 2010 back at Portsmouth. According to him, Kanu was 49 at that time but he is still a king.

Obafemi Martins is not 25 but 32. Jay-Jay Okocha is 10 years older than his “official” age throughout his career and Taribo West, whose playing career ended some years ago, is in his late fifties. Nigerians said online with mixed feelings, these cannot be based on fact – who knows, the speculations may be true or false.

However, suspicions about the true age of some Nigerian footballers dated as far back as 20 years when world football governing body FIFA banned Nigeria from all international fixtures for two years after finding that the birth dates of three of their players in the 1988 Olympics were different from the ones used by the same players in previous tournaments.

Despite believes that age fraud in the country was set to be a thing of the past with this punishment from FIFA, it became more prominent. This stirred a move again from FIFA to introduce the Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) scans aimed at checking the ages of players at the 2009 Under-17 World Cup.

Alarmed at this development, Nigeria subsequently dropped 15 players from their squad to the tournament in which they were going to host.

However, a player in the green-white-green colours of the country still went ahead to steal the show at the competition despite a slow start.

He was popularly referred to as “Little Messi”, real name Stanley Okoro. But where is he today? Last I heard of him, he was on loan to Bulgarian side, Cherno More from parent club Almeria.

Two years before, a certain Chrisantus Macauley had just picked up the Golden boot at the 2007 FIFA U-17 World Cup in Korea after finishing top scorer with seven goals, and was given the Adidas Silver Ball.

Today, the manager of AEK and a Chelsea legend Gustavo Poyet where Macauley plies his trade doesn’t have him in his first team plans and the Nigerian forward will probably be released this January.

Although the MRI has done a good job in detecting age fraud in football, the question if the job has been very thorough has been left unanswered.

This draw my attention to a comment made by the captain of Uruguay U-17 side in 2013 FIFA U-17 World Cup, Fabrizio Buschiazzo in a tournament which Nigeria lost several key players to alleged age cheat weeks into the competition.

He said after his team lost 2-0 to Nigeria U-17 who eventually went ahead to win the trophy. “I am very angry to think that Nigeria are not 17. We are an under-17 team and are better than any other under-17s but not against 35 and 40-year-olds which is how the Nigerians appeared to be to me.”

Two years after, apparently stunned by the artistry of defending champions, Golden Eaglets in Chile, former Mexico U-17 coach, Raul Gutierrez accused the Nigerian wonder-kids of doing things that no real U-17 player could do with the ball.

“Beyond their physical development, decisions made by many of players of this Nigeria team are not of an U-17 player,’ the coach told mediotiempo.com.

According to former Nigeria international Jonathan Akpoborie, 45, age fraud is “rampant in African football and it is the biggest problem the game faces over here.”

He told BBC Sport in 2014: “It has been a big problem and still is. Some of them played at the Under-17 level and then a few years later retire because they can’t run any more.

“Look at Spain’s national team as an example of how it should be done. The likes of Xavi and Andres Iniesta came through the youth teams. You can track their career all the way through.

“When you look at the African players playing for the Under-17s, maybe one or two years later they have retired because they can’t produce what they produced at Under-17 level because they are so old. The wrong players are being given the platform.”

However, the reasons for players pretending to be younger than they are, could be traced to pressure for success, individual ambition and ease in falsifying your age as factors for it.

A blogger said some years back: “A friend of mine who once played in the Nigerian league told me his real age was 34 but his football age was 21.

“You can walk into any immigration office in Nigeria today, forge documents at the nearby business centre, change your name, place of birth, date of birth, pay 7,000-10,000 naira instead of the official price of about 5,500 for an international passport and within hours you have completed the whole process.

“A new passport, a new person – and if you are a footballer, a younger one.”

With all these being said, it’s quite clear that players lying about their ages in world football is a problem the authorities have been struggling to get a hold of for a long time.

Nigeria has by far the worst reputation when it comes to age fraud in football and this has overtime hindered the growth of the game as our darling Super Eagles have continued to struggle at the big stage.

“I know of a player who represented us at the u-17 level but his twin recently clocked 30. Another represented us at the youth level but had wife and children back home,” former super eagles coach, Adegboye Onigbinde told Naij.com sports.

In the real sense, lying about one’s age may be a common practice that implies a competitive advantage in youth categories. But in the long term, this strategy is counterproductive as it does not provide ideal conditions for the full development of talent. This is one of the reasons for which the real potential of Nigeria squads in recent times remains untapped.

According to Jonathan Akpoborie, the introduction of MRI scanning has been a success but has it been a huge success, maybe not!

He said: “The government in Lagos, Nigeria, has put a new programme in place where every child who attends school is given a number and this number stays with them.

“Without that number you can’t play in the junior leagues. Someone like me, who is an agent, can only take a player who has that number. I just hope the whole federation will adopt that system.

“Age fraud is a complex problem and without everyone uniting together against it, we won’t be able to get rid of it.”

So I said to myself, if the Government can get their acts together by registering daily births in a central database system, we can take it from there and guide against age cheats and frauds from happening in the future generation.

https://www.naij.com/703372-age-fraud-immensely-affected-nigerias-super-eagles-photos.html
shiit article. Failed to reflect the efforts on ground.

Stop reminding us of the likes of Chrisantus and that Stanley fellow. Look at the recent guys, those are people i'm interested in, the new generation

Kelechi older than Aguero? The writer of this article must be a disgruntled, underachieving fellow to write such bollocks.

3 years after the U17, at least we still see Kelechi, can you and the writer tell us what's going on with the Uruguayan captain that accused our team of being cheats? What about Berisha, the Swedish fellow that won top scorer? Where is he? How good is his career?

Nigerians are the ones who go about giving foreigners the ammo to ridicule us. The only reason those accusations were made by the Uruguayan player and the Mexican coach is because it's the easier, most acceptable route to excuse failure.

Why don't you pull out a list of all the countries that have gone for the U17 and the success of players from each set?

this is how you all said Mikel was 30 and had 6 kids in '05....11 years later and my guy hasn't retired from football.

Stop promoting silly articles

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Kelechi Iheanacho With Ahmed Yusuf In 2010 & 2016: Refuting Age Cheat Allegation by gazmann(m): 9:12am On Jun 01, 2016
safarigirl:
shoot article. Failed to reflect the efforts on ground.

Stop reminding us of the likes of Chrisantus and that Stanley fellow. Look at the recent guys, those are people i'm interested in, the new generation

Kelechi olderghan Aguero? The writer of this article must be a disgruntled, underachieving fellow to write such bollocks.

3 years after the U17, at least we still see Kelechi, can you and the writer tell us what's going on with the Uruguayan captain that accused our team of being cheats? What about Berisha, the Swedish fellow that won top scorer? Where is he? How good is his career?

Nigerians are the ones who go about giving foreigners the ammo to ridicule us. The only reason those accusations were made by the Uruguayan player and the Mexican coach is because it's the easier, most acceptable route to excuse failure.

Why don't you pull out a list of all the countries that have gone for the U17 and the success of players from each set?

this is how you all said Mikek was 30 and had 6 kids in '05....11 years later and my guy hasn't retired from football.

Stop promoting silly articles

Silly article really promoted .individual carreer trajectory is hardly an age factor . People of same age with varying work ethic . Motivation and management will always have different carreer length. Some cadet stars never translate to world stars . Argentina brazil and spain have dominated the youth world cups as well yet the stars do not go on to shine. Some i dividuals that had a bad youth tournament even go on and have bogger carreer. Think of some stars like zlatan Aguero yaya toure drogba where not noted for cadet level success even giggs . Shearer cantona . A lot of factors contribute to shotlived or fulfilled carreer not age. Some people who didnt play for golden eaglets or win with their golden eaglets amunike yakubu all had great carreer. Taiwo mikel oruma kanu who won also had. This article doesnt hold water like you said

2 Likes

Re: Kelechi Iheanacho With Ahmed Yusuf In 2010 & 2016: Refuting Age Cheat Allegation by mapet: 9:25am On Jun 01, 2016
zicky:
what year was the nfa u-13 tournament held

1 Like

Re: Kelechi Iheanacho With Ahmed Yusuf In 2010 & 2016: Refuting Age Cheat Allegation by uduokirika1(m): 9:34am On Jun 01, 2016
The major proof. Is D jersey

Thats 2010 worldcup jersy na
ddippset:
Sorry I had to cut in, not supporting any side though but what evidence are you talking about? you speak like there's an age number inscribed on his fore head in the first picture of 2010. I have seen a lot of teenage Nigerian boys. that boy could naturally be anything between 10 years and 17 years in that picture, forget the smooth face. he could be as low as 10 and as high as 17. though it's more likely to be 10 or 11 if he's born with a silver spoon and likely to be towards 16 or 17 if he was born into poverty. no one has got any EVIDENCE so let's leave any claim of evidence and just take his age as 19 as he claims.

2 Likes

Re: Kelechi Iheanacho With Ahmed Yusuf In 2010 & 2016: Refuting Age Cheat Allegation by Ranchhoddas: 9:44am On Jun 01, 2016
Crap. No be only 19, na 91

1 Like

Re: Kelechi Iheanacho With Ahmed Yusuf In 2010 & 2016: Refuting Age Cheat Allegation by nkemdi89(f): 10:23am On Jun 01, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Na wa.

Did you born all of them?
I wouldn't like to disclose where and how I got to know,but I will also remind you these are our boys from imo before they became popular, the person in question I know his village,father, brother and even his former agent taye, the father took over after the U 17 victory.
Re: Kelechi Iheanacho With Ahmed Yusuf In 2010 & 2016: Refuting Age Cheat Allegation by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:25am On Jun 01, 2016
zayidhs:
Feature: How Age Fraud Has Affected Nigeria’s Super Eagles

Oh Yes! I am a football fanatic. Just last weekend while watching the beautiful football games played in the English Premier League, a thought crossed my mind during the match between Manchester City and Crystal Palace which was played on January 16.

Nigerian footballers came to my mind and I ask myself – how long will age cheat kill our football? when are players going to stop lying about their real age – which is an obvious deterrent to personal and nationwide growth.

Just recently a debate surrounding age fraud has resurfaced, following a report by Switzerland-based football observatory team on January 12.

The report, however, traced the usual under performance by many African senior teams to massive cheating carried out at their youth levels.

According to the report, countries like Nigeria, Ghana and Cameroon are yet to reach the full potential in their respective senior teams as a result of wrong foundations set with the youth teams.

In this regards, I decided to take a holistic approach in looking at how age cheating (a common act in African football) has affected the growth of the game in the most populous black nation – Nigeria.

Manchester City youngster Kelechi Iheanacho had just provided the assist to Sergio Aguero for his first goal of the game (the Argentine went ahead to get a brace).

However a question from a colleague rattled my mind – Don’t you think Iheanacho, dubbed to be youngest player in Manchester City strike force could be older than Aguero?

I immediately rose to the defence of the young lad, rubbishing the comment knowing fully well Iheanacho is 19. However after a careful perusal on the growth of our youngsters back home, I said to myself “there may be a little sense in the question he just asked”. I expect you to ask me why. However, the reason isn’t far-fetched. Let us take a trip down memory lane.

English coach Harry Redknapp had joked about Nwankwo Kanu’s official age in 2010 back at Portsmouth. According to him, Kanu was 49 at that time but he is still a king.

Obafemi Martins is not 25 but 32. Jay-Jay Okocha is 10 years older than his “official” age throughout his career and Taribo West, whose playing career ended some years ago, is in his late fifties. Nigerians said online with mixed feelings, these cannot be based on fact – who knows, the speculations may be true or false.

However, suspicions about the true age of some Nigerian footballers dated as far back as 20 years when world football governing body FIFA banned Nigeria from all international fixtures for two years after finding that the birth dates of three of their players in the 1988 Olympics were different from the ones used by the same players in previous tournaments.

Despite believes that age fraud in the country was set to be a thing of the past with this punishment from FIFA, it became more prominent. This stirred a move again from FIFA to introduce the Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) scans aimed at checking the ages of players at the 2009 Under-17 World Cup.

Alarmed at this development, Nigeria subsequently dropped 15 players from their squad to the tournament in which they were going to host.

However, a player in the green-white-green colours of the country still went ahead to steal the show at the competition despite a slow start.

He was popularly referred to as “Little Messi”, real name Stanley Okoro. But where is he today? Last I heard of him, he was on loan to Bulgarian side, Cherno More from parent club Almeria.

Two years before, a certain Chrisantus Macauley had just picked up the Golden boot at the 2007 FIFA U-17 World Cup in Korea after finishing top scorer with seven goals, and was given the Adidas Silver Ball.

Today, the manager of AEK and a Chelsea legend Gustavo Poyet where Macauley plies his trade doesn’t have him in his first team plans and the Nigerian forward will probably be released this January.

Although the MRI has done a good job in detecting age fraud in football, the question if the job has been very thorough has been left unanswered.

This draw my attention to a comment made by the captain of Uruguay U-17 side in 2013 FIFA U-17 World Cup, Fabrizio Buschiazzo in a tournament which Nigeria lost several key players to alleged age cheat weeks into the competition.

He said after his team lost 2-0 to Nigeria U-17 who eventually went ahead to win the trophy. “I am very angry to think that Nigeria are not 17. We are an under-17 team and are better than any other under-17s but not against 35 and 40-year-olds which is how the Nigerians appeared to be to me.”

Two years after, apparently stunned by the artistry of defending champions, Golden Eaglets in Chile, former Mexico U-17 coach, Raul Gutierrez accused the Nigerian wonder-kids of doing things that no real U-17 player could do with the ball.

“Beyond their physical development, decisions made by many of players of this Nigeria team are not of an U-17 player,’ the coach told mediotiempo.com.

According to former Nigeria international Jonathan Akpoborie, 45, age fraud is “rampant in African football and it is the biggest problem the game faces over here.”

He told BBC Sport in 2014: “It has been a big problem and still is. Some of them played at the Under-17 level and then a few years later retire because they can’t run any more.

“Look at Spain’s national team as an example of how it should be done. The likes of Xavi and Andres Iniesta came through the youth teams. You can track their career all the way through.

“When you look at the African players playing for the Under-17s, maybe one or two years later they have retired because they can’t produce what they produced at Under-17 level because they are so old. The wrong players are being given the platform.”

However, the reasons for players pretending to be younger than they are, could be traced to pressure for success, individual ambition and ease in falsifying your age as factors for it.

A blogger said some years back: “A friend of mine who once played in the Nigerian league told me his real age was 34 but his football age was 21.

“You can walk into any immigration office in Nigeria today, forge documents at the nearby business centre, change your name, place of birth, date of birth, pay 7,000-10,000 naira instead of the official price of about 5,500 for an international passport and within hours you have completed the whole process.

“A new passport, a new person – and if you are a footballer, a younger one.”

With all these being said, it’s quite clear that players lying about their ages in world football is a problem the authorities have been struggling to get a hold of for a long time.

Nigeria has by far the worst reputation when it comes to age fraud in football and this has overtime hindered the growth of the game as our darling Super Eagles have continued to struggle at the big stage.

“I know of a player who represented us at the u-17 level but his twin recently clocked 30. Another represented us at the youth level but had wife and children back home,” former super eagles coach, Adegboye Onigbinde told Naij.com sports.

In the real sense, lying about one’s age may be a common practice that implies a competitive advantage in youth categories. But in the long term, this strategy is counterproductive as it does not provide ideal conditions for the full development of talent. This is one of the reasons for which the real potential of Nigeria squads in recent times remains untapped.

According to Jonathan Akpoborie, the introduction of MRI scanning has been a success but has it been a huge success, maybe not!

He said: “The government in Lagos, Nigeria, has put a new programme in place where every child who attends school is given a number and this number stays with them.

“Without that number you can’t play in the junior leagues. Someone like me, who is an agent, can only take a player who has that number. I just hope the whole federation will adopt that system.

“Age fraud is a complex problem and without everyone uniting together against it, we won’t be able to get rid of it.”

So I said to myself, if the Government can get their acts together by registering daily births in a central database system, we can take it from there and guide against age cheats and frauds from happening in the future generation.

https://www.naij.com/703372-age-fraud-immensely-affected-nigerias-super-eagles-photos.html

This article is riddled with misconceptions. Let me just clear one.

Nigerians were age cheats because they were Stars in the past and vanished but look at Iniesta and Xavi.

Many will not ask what happened to others who played with Xavi in Nigeria '99. Players like Ruben, Bakero, Pablo, Orbais, Raul Tamudo. These guys did not last and dominate than Xavi but they are not age cheats even though they faded. However the Nigerians are age cheats.

What of those who played with Iniesta like Sergio Garcia?

These stars were better nurtured than the Nigerian players but they faded but foreigners hang that over our heads as cheating.

The MRI has helped us screen out our true young players and has enabled us select the best true U17 players. The rewards are massive and we will continue producing top players due to accurate ages.

We are not perfect but we are not as bad as people make it.

2 Likes

Re: Kelechi Iheanacho With Ahmed Yusuf In 2010 & 2016: Refuting Age Cheat Allegation by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:27am On Jun 01, 2016
nkemdi89:

I wouldn't like to disclose where and how I got to know,but I will also remind you these are our boys from imo before they became popular, the person in question I know his village,father, brother and even his former agent taye, the father took over after the U 17 victory.

And Yahaya, Mohammed, Alampasu, Okon are all Ibo boys from Imo State. Na wa.
Re: Kelechi Iheanacho With Ahmed Yusuf In 2010 & 2016: Refuting Age Cheat Allegation by ddippset(m): 10:28am On Jun 01, 2016
uduokirika1:
The major proof. Is D jersey

Thats 2010 worldcup jersy na
the puzzle is not whether that picture was taken in 2010 or not, the puzzle is how old was the boy in that 2010 picture?

1 Like

Re: Kelechi Iheanacho With Ahmed Yusuf In 2010 & 2016: Refuting Age Cheat Allegation by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:29am On Jun 01, 2016
nkemdi89:

I believe Science over Stories. The MRI scan is there to screen out overage players. I trust it.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigeria Vs Honduras: Rio 2016 Olympics 3rd Place (3 - 2) On 20th August 2016 / Kelechi Iheanacho Wore Igbo Cap To Leicester City Vs Swansea Game / Photos Of The 3-Bedroom Apartment Chioma Ajunwa Got From Lagos Government

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.