Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,872 members, 7,817,570 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:39 PM

Car Is Difficult To Start When Engine Is HOT, Very Ok When Engine Is...SOLVED - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Car Is Difficult To Start When Engine Is HOT, Very Ok When Engine Is...SOLVED (4327 Views)

Rav4 2004 Oil Pressure Indicator Flickers When Engine Is Hot, Pls Help!!! / Polo Vivo Won't Start When Cold / What You Should Do If You Suspect A Car Is Following You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Car Is Difficult To Start When Engine Is HOT, Very Ok When Engine Is...SOLVED by boldx(m): 9:05pm On May 31, 2016
My car is 2000 sienna. 3.0 Litre V6 engine.
The engine cranks well when cold and comes alive but does not start easily when Engine is HOT unless i throttle a little. I have scanned and there are no codes at all.
The car runs extremely well, doesn't drag at all when climbing a steep slope. No rough idling at all.
On live data, STFT is -3.8, LTFT is 0.0 for bank 1 and 2. Timing advance is 15-17 degrees.
The thermostat is still very much in the car and it doesn't overheat. Normal optimum temperature is 91*C. I don't think its a fuel pump issue.
Am thinking of ECT sensor from my online research. Please help. This is complicated for me.
Many thanks in advance.
Re: Car Is Difficult To Start When Engine Is HOT, Very Ok When Engine Is...SOLVED by nurey(m): 9:18pm On May 31, 2016
I had this same problem in my car but not that when it's hot it shows this annoying symptoms, mine occurred when hot and cold. My brother in law said it was the kick starter so to test it truly and confirm I take a metal rod and hit the kick starter on the body, this worked for 2 days on the 3rd day, nah him I nack nack the thing no work.

To confirm if truly it's the kick starter, you need a rewire to help he will use wire connection one kind to connect the thing and when you crank, it will start but if the car stalls on the way you need him to do it again. Just fix it around 6k 1 and half years ago don't know how much now.
Please stop depressing the acceleration while cranking the engine not good for the car good luck
Re: Car Is Difficult To Start When Engine Is HOT, Very Ok When Engine Is...SOLVED by boldx(m): 9:24pm On May 31, 2016
nurey:
I had this same problem in my car but not that when it's hot it shows this annoying symptoms, mine occurred when hot and cold. My brother in law said it was the kick starter so to test it truly and confirm I take a metal rod and hit the kick starter on the body, this worked for 2 days on the 3rd day, nah him I nack nack the thing no work.

To confirm if truly it's the kick starter, you need a rewire to help he will you wire one kind to connect the thing but if the car stalls on the way you need him to do it again. Just fix it around 6k 1 and half years ago don't know how much now.
Please stop depressing the acceleration while cranking the engine not good for the car good luck
Thanks Nurey. I changed my kickstarter 3 days ago. And the situation hasn't improved. Kick starter was taken from tokunbo engine. Thanks.
Re: Car Is Difficult To Start When Engine Is HOT, Very Ok When Engine Is...SOLVED by chukel(m): 3:54am On Jun 01, 2016
boldx:

Thanks Nurey. I changed my kickstarter 3 days ago. And the situation hasn't improved. Kick starter was taken from tokunbo engine. Thanks.
I go with fuel pump or bad fuel.
Re: Car Is Difficult To Start When Engine Is HOT, Very Ok When Engine Is...SOLVED by diportivo: 1:14pm On Jun 01, 2016
So toyota sef dey get fault shocked

I been think say na only nissan dey get problem oh

Op no vex say i derail small

As u hate nissan reach,and toyota sef dey do u yawa,abeg hate toyota small abeggrin
Re: Car Is Difficult To Start When Engine Is HOT, Very Ok When Engine Is...SOLVED by lawsta(m): 1:54pm On Jun 01, 2016
what of the ignition coil, the ones which have black wires going to the plugs, or the ecu ( brain box)
Re: Car Is Difficult To Start When Engine Is HOT, Very Ok When Engine Is...SOLVED by lawsta(m): 1:55pm On Jun 01, 2016
what of the ignition coil, the ones which have black wires going to the plugs, or the ecu ( brain box)
Re: Car Is Difficult To Start When Engine Is HOT, Very Ok When Engine Is...SOLVED by boldx(m): 3:15pm On Jun 01, 2016
lawsta:
what of the ignition coil, the ones which have black wires going to the plugs,
or the ecu ( brain box)
Thanks a million but I presume that faulty ignition coils will cause the plugs to misfire as plugs are working and no codes for ignition coil as well. Thanks a lot, Bruv.
Re: Car Is Difficult To Start When Engine Is HOT, Very Ok When Engine Is...SOLVED by donatusdesmond: 5:19pm On Jun 01, 2016
It may be a faulty fuel pump,i once experienced it in my camry 2004
Re: Car Is Difficult To Start When Engine Is HOT, Very Ok When Engine Is...SOLVED by boldx(m): 5:49pm On Jun 01, 2016
donatusdesmond:
It may be a faulty fuel pump,i once experienced it in my camry 2004
Noted! Thanks. I will check it this saturday.
Re: Car Is Difficult To Start When Engine Is HOT, Very Ok When Engine Is...SOLVED by lawsta(m): 6:06pm On Jun 01, 2016
it is common for electricals with coil to malfunction when hot. check ignition coil, fuel pump, ecu, injectors.
Re: Car Is Difficult To Start When Engine Is HOT, Very Ok When Engine Is...SOLVED by lawsta(m): 6:08pm On Jun 01, 2016
it is common for electricals with coil to malfunction when hot b4 finally pack up. check ignition coil, fuel pump, ecu, injectors.
Re: Car Is Difficult To Start When Engine Is HOT, Very Ok When Engine Is...SOLVED by erico2k2(m): 7:47pm On Jun 01, 2016
boldx:
The engine cranks well when cold and comes alive but does not start easily when Engine is HOT unless i throttle a little. I have scanned and there are no codes at all.
The car runs extremely well, doesn't drag at all when climbing a steep slope. No rough idling at all.
On live data, STFT is -3.8, LTFT is 0.0 for bank 1 and 2. Timing advance is 15-17 degrees.
The thermostat is still very much in the car and it doesn't overheat. Normal optimum temperature is 91*C. I don't think its a fuel pump issue.
Am thinking of ECT sensor from my online research. Please help. This is complicated for me.
Many thanks in advance.
Scan your car and come with teh codes,
U have same problem with my Jeep liberty, it turns out it was the Cam positioning Sensor, but still scan for fault codes
Re: Car Is Difficult To Start When Engine Is HOT, Very Ok When Engine Is...SOLVED by nurey(m): 8:09pm On Jun 01, 2016
erico2k2:

Scan your car and come with teh codes,
U have same problem with my Jeep liberty, it turns out it was the Cam positioning Sensor, but still scan for fault codes

I wanted to suggest this too but don't have much info on it. Am guessing the engine should throw a code if it's cam sensor and you said no code. Also since it is only hard starting when hot you are experiencing I doubt it's the cam/crank sensor.
Re: Car Is Difficult To Start When Engine Is HOT, Very Ok When Engine Is...SOLVED by boldx(m): 8:38pm On Jun 01, 2016
I sincerely appreciate your concern. I will find a way of showing appreciation as time goes on.
Re: Car Is Difficult To Start When Engine Is HOT, Very Ok When Engine Is...SOLVED by boldx(m): 8:43pm On Jun 01, 2016
I sincerely appreciate your concern. I will find a way of showing appreciation as time goes on.
My camshaft sensor on bank 2 of my V6, the one close to my radiation has a bad clip. Though it is still fitted, you can pull it off without any resistance.
Re: Car Is Difficult To Start When Engine Is HOT, Very Ok When Engine Is...SOLVED by erico2k2(m): 9:00pm On Jun 01, 2016
nurey:

I wanted to suggest this too but don't have much info on it. Am guessing the engine should throw a code if it's cam sensor and you said no code. Also since it is only hard starting when hot you are experiencing I doubt it's the cam/crank sensor.
That was exactly waht happened in my case Wen hot no start, wen cold it starts and it was throwing a code as well
Re: Car Is Difficult To Start When Engine Is HOT, Very Ok When Engine Is...SOLVED by erico2k2(m): 9:03pm On Jun 01, 2016
boldx:
My camshaft sensor on bank 2 of my V6, the one close to my radiation has a bad clip. Though it is still fitted, you can pull it off without any resistance.
Take a pic lets see as you are me ant to have one cam sensor and you screw it in, its not a clip mechanism.
Re: Car Is Difficult To Start When Engine Is HOT, Very Ok When Engine Is...SOLVED by boldx(m): 9:44pm On Jun 01, 2016
erico2k2:

Take a pic lets see as you are me ant to have one cam sensor and you screw it in, its not a clip mechanism.
will do that tomorrow. Thanks
Re: Car Is Difficult To Start When Engine Is HOT, Very Ok When Engine Is...SOLVED by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:38am On Jun 02, 2016
boldx:
The engine cranks well when cold and comes alive but does not start easily when Engine is HOT unless i throttle a little . I have scanned and there are no codes at all.
Many thanks in advance.

possibly leaking Evap valve.
Re: Car Is Difficult To Start When Engine Is HOT, Very Ok When Engine Is...SOLVED by boldx(m): 8:51am On Jun 02, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

possibly leaking Evap valve.
Thanks i will check this. I appreciate sir.
Re: Car Is Difficult To Start When Engine Is HOT, Very Ok When Engine Is...SOLVED by boldx(m): 1:25pm On Jun 04, 2016
Update: I went to the mechanic today My fuel filter was obviously bad. It was replaced. I also changed my fuel pump. Still test driving. So far, all seems to be ok.
Re: Car Is Difficult To Start When Engine Is HOT, Very Ok When Engine Is...SOLVED by erico2k2(m): 2:55pm On Jun 04, 2016
boldx:
Update: I went to the mechanic today My fuel filter was obviously bad. It was replaced. I also changed my fuel pump. Still test driving. So far, all seems to be ok.
Good stuff
Re: Car Is Difficult To Start When Engine Is HOT, Very Ok When Engine Is...SOLVED by Burger01(m): 6:18pm On Jun 04, 2016
So, how far Op, with the car now Update us. smiley
Re: Car Is Difficult To Start When Engine Is HOT, Very Ok When Engine Is...SOLVED by boldx(m): 10:24pm On Jun 04, 2016
Burger01:
So, how far Op, with the car now Update us. smiley
So far, so good. I have had to drive around today intensely. Park, wait, start at different time intervals. So far, i am quite impressed with cranking when engine is hot. I will still update tomorrow evening.
Re: Car Is Difficult To Start When Engine Is HOT, Very Ok When Engine Is...SOLVED by Burger01(m): 5:31am On Jun 05, 2016
^^^
Okay. Thanks for the update smiley
Re: Car Is Difficult To Start When Engine Is HOT, Very Ok When Engine Is...SOLVED by lonelydora: 5:36am On Jun 05, 2016
You have a bad fuel pump. Change your fuel pump.
Re: Car Is Difficult To Start When Engine Is HOT, Very Ok When Engine Is...SOLVED by mechco: 8:44am On Jun 05, 2016
try to change your fuel pump is bad for more help you can call me on 08096895925
Re: Car Is Difficult To Start When Engine Is HOT, Very Ok When Engine Is...SOLVED by boldx(m): 12:08pm On Jun 05, 2016
mechco:
try to change your fuel pump is bad for more help you can call me on 08096895925
I have changed the fuel pump already.
Re: Car Is Difficult To Start When Engine Is HOT, Very Ok When Engine Is...SOLVED by boldx(m): 5:39pm On Jun 05, 2016
Update: My car is very much ok now. I really appreciate everyone who showed concern. Engine cranks and starts now when engine is hot. God bless you all mightily.

1 Like

Re: Car Is Difficult To Start When Engine Is HOT, Very Ok When Engine Is...SOLVED by cocoduck: 11:49pm On Jun 05, 2016
I was banned by one cra*y mod for disciplining an erring nairalander, look the thing is this, for the engine to start, there must be spark, fuel, and compression, if any is missing, then the engine won't start, check for the missing one, and go from there, ie no fuel, then every fuel related component must be checked.
Re: Car Is Difficult To Start When Engine Is HOT, Very Ok When Engine Is...SOLVED by boldx(m): 12:38pm On Jun 06, 2016
Thanks Cocoduck

(1) (2) (Reply)

Cheapest SUV Car To Maintain / Siena Look! Volkswagen Passat Glx V8 Engine / This Is Probably The Most Amazing Features In The Acura Tl 2012!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.