Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,820 members, 7,813,701 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:41 PM

Why Are Niger Deltans Not Questioning Their Governors - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are Niger Deltans Not Questioning Their Governors (2176 Views)

Deport Destitute Ibos Back Home To Their Governors / Niger Deltans Protest "Intimidation Of Jonathan By Buhari, DSS & EFCC" (Pics) / Why Niger Deltans Won't Subscribe To The Biafran Movement (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Niger Deltans Not Questioning Their Governors by khalids: 5:51pm On Jun 01, 2016
Why are Niger Deltans not questioning their Governors, State House of Assembly members, LGA chairman, NDDC chairman about what happened to funds allocated to them that are meant for development.

And why is all their battle always targeted at the federal level, when their Governors, State House of Assembly members, LGA chairman, NDDC chairman are right there in their locality

Let me ask a question does their state get allocation like all the other states, if yes, what have their past governors, counselor, LG chairmen being doing with the money......the money that goes to NDDC what is it used for...

Now, why are they all screaming federal government, why have the avengers not asked the governors, counselors, state assembly, LGA chairmen, NDDC commissioners what happened to their money...

Someone here is showing pictures of Lagos and Abuja...these states get allocation from the federal government like every other state and they use it wisely, why then are you crying wolf when you squander your own allocations.

Do they not also have members representing them at the house of assembly, why are they not putting pressure on those fellows to tender their case......

This is just plain terrorism / sabotage
Even America will tell you they don't negotiate with terrorist, you need to follow proper channels/procedures

6 Likes

Re: Why Are Niger Deltans Not Questioning Their Governors by SWG25: 5:53pm On Jun 01, 2016
Because Nigeria runs a unitary system of government. Are you satisfied?

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Niger Deltans Not Questioning Their Governors by todayboy: 5:54pm On Jun 01, 2016
Op they will start questioning there governor when we have real federation system

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Niger Deltans Not Questioning Their Governors by Xclusivegrin007(m): 5:58pm On Jun 01, 2016
Let me ask
Re: Why Are Niger Deltans Not Questioning Their Governors by Iykopeee: 5:58pm On Jun 01, 2016
@ OP. They can only question their governors when there's absolute resource control. For now the system is unitary, and every question is directed to federal govt

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Niger Deltans Not Questioning Their Governors by khalids: 6:01pm On Jun 01, 2016
Look you guys a missing the point, all states get allocation from the federal level, these allocations are meant for the states to provide the proper amenities and environment for their people to thrive and prosper.

So what has been happening to the allocations that the governor get....
Should that not be their first point of call, before going on a federal level

for example when i visit my state and i see the condition of things my first exclamation is "what is this governor doing and not what is the president doing"

9 Likes

Re: Why Are Niger Deltans Not Questioning Their Governors by dablazor: 6:18pm On Jun 01, 2016
Well you are right their governors and co should be held responsible, but if am being critical, its easier for blames to fly to the center because of the current system of government nigeria is practising.
Until we revert back to regionalism or better still a true federalism system of governance, the federal government would always be blamed, as the states answer to the federal government.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Niger Deltans Not Questioning Their Governors by khalids: 6:34pm On Jun 01, 2016
dablazor:
Well you are right their governors and co should be held responsible, but if am being critical, its easier for blames to fly to the center because of the current system of government nigeria is practising.
Until we revert back to regionalism or better still a true federalism system of governance, the federal government would always be blamed, as the states answer to the federal government.

I still don't believe that the federal govt should take blame because of the type of political system we are running.

Each arm of government have their various unique responsibilities

I live in Lagos and when i pass a poorly developed area my first lamentation is "this governor need to work in this area" It never occurs to me to blame the federal government.

The Federal government have their responsibilities and the states also have theirs......An issue such as electricity, I will blame the Federal government, for an issues such as bad road in my area i will blame the state governor......

If the federal government is being harassed by everybody for every single thing that happens in their communities, how will they be able to settle down to face their own responsibilities....I think its high time the Niger Delta Leadership face up to their responsibility and their youths/people begin to hold them rightly responsible......By the way why are the Niger delta house of rep and senate members not saying anything about the plight of their people, have their tongues been blown up too......Meanwhile the avengers will not channel their energy in demanding that these guys do what the sent them their to do....

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Niger Deltans Not Questioning Their Governors by 989900: 6:37pm On Jun 01, 2016
Ibori and Alams both looted their states dry, with their successors continuing where they left off.

As at the time he was governor, Ibori's loot was almost the size of Anambra state's budget!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Niger Deltans Not Questioning Their Governors by khalids: 6:59pm On Jun 01, 2016
989900:
Ibori and Alams both looted their states dry, with their successors continuing where they left off.

As at the time he was governor, Ibori's loot was almost the size of Anambra's state budget!

Thank you for bringing this up.....And when the federal government set the necessary agencies to investigate these guys, it was this same militants that where shouting that they where been witch hunted and victimized....

Dey did not bother to raise protest that "Alam/Ibori una chop our money, community money" Instead they were busy shouting rankadede

How can the federal government help them, when they wont even help themselves.....Good riddance to bad rubbish

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Niger Deltans Not Questioning Their Governors by 989900: 7:06pm On Jun 01, 2016
khalids:

Thank you for bringing this up.....And when the federal government set the necessary agencies to investigate these guys, it was this same militants that where shouting that they where been witch hunted and victimized....

Dey did not bother to raise protest that "Alam/Ibori una chop our money, community money" Instead they were busy shouting rankadede

How can the federal government help them, when they wont even help themselves.....Good riddance to bad rubbish

Till date, my extended relatives in Delta still think highly of Ibori. SMH

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Niger Deltans Not Questioning Their Governors by thomasthomas: 7:37pm On Jun 01, 2016
A very good question to ask op..

Those saying it's the system of government, during former President Good luck Jonathan, what type of system of government were we practising? It's unfortunate that a certain section of this country is used to crying each time.

Give Niger Delta states N1 trillion every month and nothing will change, the people are not progressive in thinking but docile and lazy and so they expext everything to be done for them.

Niger Delta leaders should answer to Niger Delta Avengers not FG!

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Niger Deltans Not Questioning Their Governors by dablazor: 7:44pm On Jun 01, 2016
khalids:

I still don't believe that the federal govt should take blame because of the type of political system we are running.

Each arm of government have their various unique responsibilities

I live in Lagos and when i pass a poorly developed area my first lamentation is "this governor need to work in this area" It never occurs to me to blame the federal government.

The Federal government have their responsibilities and the states also have theirs......An issue such as electricity, I will blame the Federal government, for an issues such as bad road in my area i will blame the state governor......

If the federal government is being harassed by everybody for every single thing that happens in their communities, how will they be able to settle down to face their own responsibilities....I think its high time the Niger Delta Leadership face up to their responsibility and their youths/people begin to hold them rightly responsible......By the way why are the Niger delta house of rep and senate members not saying anything about the plight of their people, have their tongues been blown up too......Meanwhile the avengers will not channel their energy in demanding that these guys do what the sent them their to do....
If you're being honest, you would not compare the Nigerdelta region with your street in Lagos, they just aren't the same thing.
The Nigerian state lives off the Nigerdelta, without oil money from the Nigerdelta, the nigerian economy could very well collapse, without oil from the ND, the nation's budget cant be fully funded, without oil from the delta, almost all the 36 states of the federation wont be able to pay their civil service, your street in lagos isn't same with the Nigerdelta.
Ever since the discovery of oil in oloibiri, that region has being paying the price at the detriment of their ecosystems.
The Nigerian state lives off the nigerdelta like parasites, it isn't even symbiotic in nature, we take but we don't give that much back.
It would take a lot more than a determined state governor to fully rejuvenate the region, it would take a direct approach from the cash bank not a feeder.

Yes they receive derivations and allocations but no they can't control the explorations, taxations, resources, their lands and monitor explorations, the nigerian state controls all these not their various state Governors, so why wont the nigerian state accept full responsibility?

This system of governance is pure bullocks, its high time we go back to regionalism or the nigerian state wont be at peace, or go our seperate ways, that is the pristine truth.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Niger Deltans Not Questioning Their Governors by dablazor: 7:50pm On Jun 01, 2016
thomasthomas:
A very good question to ask op..

Those saying it's the system of government, during former President Good luck Jonathan, what type of system of government were we practising? It's unfortunate that a certain section of this country is used to crying each time.

Give Niger Delta states N1 trillion every month and nothing will change, the people are not progressive in thinking but docile and lazy and so they expext everything to be done for them.

Niger Delta leaders should answer to Niger Delta Avengers not FG!

Yes you are right, GEJ is from the Nigerdelta, and we can't say GEJ solved the nigerdelta problems, no he didn't, but atleast they felt compensated.
The truth is Nigeria isn't one, okay? The Hausas cant feed Nigeria while having their backyards in turmoil there would be anarchy.

Something needs to be done fast.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Niger Deltans Not Questioning Their Governors by thomasthomas: 7:53pm On Jun 01, 2016
dablazor:

If you're being honest, you would not compare the Nigerdelta region with your street in Lagos, they just aren't the same thing.
The Nigerian state lives off the Nigerdelta, without oil money from the Nigerdelta, the nigerian economy could very well collapse, without oil from the ND, the nation's budget cant be fully funded, without oil from the delta, almost all the 36 states of the federation wont be able to pay their civil service, your street in lagos isn't same with the Nigerdelta.
Ever since the discovery of oil in oloibiri, that region has being paying the price at the detriment of their ecosystems.
The Nigerian state lives off the nigerdelta like parasites, it isn't even symbiotic in nature, we take but we don't give that much back.
It would take a lot more than a determined state governor to fully rejuvenate the region, it would take a direct approach from the cash bank not a feeder.

Yes they receive derivations and allocations but no they can't control the explorations, taxations, resources, their lands and monitor explorations, the nigerian state controls all these not their various state Governors, so why wont the nigerian state accept full responsibility?

This system of governance is pure bullocks, its high time we go back to regionalism or the nigerian state wont be at peace, or go our seperate ways, that is the pristine truth.

Did you demand for regionalism or separation during former President Jonathan era.

All I see is hypocrisy!

Akwa Ibom has been receiving the highest allocation in the whole country, but the state is impoverished! Do I still blame President Buhari?

You guys should be honest! We live with these people and see the type of houses they build and the kind of cars they drive! We see people who had nothing yesterday but today are billionaires with no job and we applaud them. How did they get such wealth?

Think!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Niger Deltans Not Questioning Their Governors by MXrep: 7:55pm On Jun 01, 2016
stop repeating this same line, this is what you all said about the separatist agitators in the east, don't you understand the structure that Nigeria run at the moment which is over centralized and put enormous power at Abuja?? Abuja owns and pays the state and has absolute power to decide who gets what. Abuja should liberate the states then people can channel their grievances to their governors
Re: Why Are Niger Deltans Not Questioning Their Governors by thomasthomas: 7:58pm On Jun 01, 2016
dablazor:

Yes you are right, GEJ is from the Nigerdelta, and we can't say GEJ solved the nigerdelta problems, no he didn't, but atleast they felt compensated.
The truth is Nigeria isn't one, okay? The Hausas cant feed Nigeria while having their backyards in turmoil there would be anarchy.

Something needs to be done fast.
What was the compensation?

So your hatred is with the Hausas? Mind you there are over 200+ ethnic groups in Nigeria.

Let's allow peace to rein, those countries you are thinking of running will close their borders on you oo... I hope you watch international TV and saw what happened with the Syrians.

Know what you wish for, if you are not in Nigeria then forget about Nigeria and enjoy your eldorado, don't stay there to set fire on others.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Niger Deltans Not Questioning Their Governors by MXrep: 7:59pm On Jun 01, 2016
thomasthomas:
Did you demand for regionalism or separation during former President Jonathan era.

All I see is hypocrisy!

Akwa Ibom has been receiving the highest allocation in the whole country, but the state is impoverished! Do I still blame President Buhari?

You guys should be honest! We live with these people and see the type of houses they build and the kind of cars they drive! We see people who had nothing yesterday but today are billionaires with no job and we applaud them. How did they get such wealth?

Think!
You are the hypocrite here?? Explain the national Confab to us in relation to assertion in bold. Secondly, whatever akwa ibom gets is just 13% of their wealth. we say, abuja should stop stealing from states and giving them peanuts, let the state develop whatever they have in their domain and own it 100% and give abuja an agreed amount.
Re: Why Are Niger Deltans Not Questioning Their Governors by thomasthomas: 8:00pm On Jun 01, 2016
MXrep:
stop repeating this same line, this is what you all said about the separatist agitators in the east, don't you understand the structure that Nigeria run at the moment which is over centralized and put enormous power at Abuja?? Abuja owns and pays the state and has absolute power to decide who gets what. Abuja should liberate the states then people can channel their grievances to their governors
Are you just waking up to this or were you asleep when Jonathan was President?

You people's hypocrisy stinks! Six years no one wanted a change in the system of government, all of a sudden we want regional government.

Bunch of hypocrites!

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Niger Deltans Not Questioning Their Governors by MXrep: 8:03pm On Jun 01, 2016
thomasthomas:
Are you just waking up to this or were you asleep when Jonathan was President?

You people's hypocrisy stinks! Six years no one wanted a change in the system of government, all of a sudden we want regional government.

Bunch of hypocrites!
did you just land from mars, explain GEJ's national confab
Re: Why Are Niger Deltans Not Questioning Their Governors by thomasthomas: 8:04pm On Jun 01, 2016
MXrep:

did you just land from mars, explain GEJ's national confab
So what about it? 9 billion naira was spent! What next?
Re: Why Are Niger Deltans Not Questioning Their Governors by thomasthomas: 8:07pm On Jun 01, 2016
MXrep:

You are the hypocrite here?? Explain the national Confab to us in relation to assertion in bold. Secondly, whatever akwa ibom gets is just 13% of their wealth. we say, abuja should stop stealing from states and giving them peanuts, let the state develop whatever they have in their domain and own it 100% and give abuja an agreed amount.
why didn't you advice Jonathan or are you just learning this now? The national confab report is not a legal document. National assembly still needs to work on it.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Niger Deltans Not Questioning Their Governors by MXrep: 8:09pm On Jun 01, 2016
thomasthomas:
So what about it? 9 billion naira was spent! What next?
Lol, grin
Re: Why Are Niger Deltans Not Questioning Their Governors by thomasthomas: 8:14pm On Jun 01, 2016
MXrep:

Lol, grin
Na so now... grin grin you dey laugh...

No one can convince me to support a selfish struggle! Give the state autonomy and watch some people steal everything for themselves... Some might even secede from Nigeria because they have enough money to go to war against the FG.

Know what you wish for... Most people down south are not honest!

How you asked what happens to the IGR received by the states, with no FG control? They are all siphoned! People agitating for these know they will be the beneficiaries NOT you and I.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Niger Deltans Not Questioning Their Governors by MXrep: 8:14pm On Jun 01, 2016
thomasthomas:
why didn't you advice Jonathan or are you just learning this now? The national confab report is not a legal document. National assembly still needs to work on it.
grin grin grin grin Ok, I am done
Re: Why Are Niger Deltans Not Questioning Their Governors by MXrep: 8:20pm On Jun 01, 2016
thomasthomas:
Na so now... grin grin you dey laugh...

No one can convince me to support a selfish struggle! Give the state autonomy and watch some people steal everything for themselves... Some might even secede from Nigeria because they have enough money to go to war against the FG.

Know what you wish for... Most people down south are not honest!

How you asked what happened to the IGR received on these states, with no FG control? They are all siphoned!
but that doesnt mean you should lie that people didnt clamor for federalism under jonthan, secondly, ppl mismanaging their resources should not be the business of those that are not from there and only then can the call for ppl to hold their local politicians responsible be justified
Re: Why Are Niger Deltans Not Questioning Their Governors by thomasthomas: 8:45pm On Jun 01, 2016
MXrep:

but that doesnt mean you should lie that people didnt clamor for federalism under jonthan, secondly, ppl mismanaging their resources should not be the business of those that are not from there and only then can the call for ppl to hold their local politicians responsible be justified
I seriously do not understand the way some Niger Delta people think. Should I be happy that someone in my village is stealing all the billions meant for the development of the community against a Hausa/Fulani stealing it? That thinking is where we find ourselves. Tompolos and Asari Dukobos communities will remain in poverty for decades while the warlords have mansions in Lagos, Abuja, Dubai and London.

I am not a sentimental person. People clamouring for regionalism during Jonathan wasn't filled with hatred for Northerners as it is now.

Some people who used to benefit from the corrupt government of Jonathan are not happy he lost! Simple!

Tomorrow President will flag off the clean up of Ogoni land. Why didn't Jonathan do it being a Niger Deltan? Like I said I'm not sentimental. It will take 30 years to clean it up so it's even beyond Buhari.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Niger Deltans Not Questioning Their Governors by dablazor: 8:54pm On Jun 01, 2016
thomasthomas:
What was the compensation?

So your hatred is with the Hausas? Mind you there are over 200+ ethnic groups in Nigeria.

Let's allow peace to rein, those countries you are thinking of running will close their borders on you oo... I hope you watch international TV and saw what happened with the Syrians.

Know what you wish for, if you are not in Nigeria then forget about Nigeria and enjoy your eldorado, don't stay there to set fire on others.
GEJ was.

Who told you I hate hausas? And why must my reasoning justify me being nigerdeltan?
I am not from the region, but I am human enough to consider putting myself in their shoes so I could understand their plight.

Peace would reign when building blocks of peace are put in place.
I cant imagine what i'd do if my region feeds a whole country at the detriment of my own backyard.

History as shown that peaceful dialogues are never taken serious in Nigeria.

I believe in Nigeria, okay? But the only way Nigeria can reach its full potential and its continued existence is by reverting to regional government, atleast resource control.

This status quo if upheld would result in madness, and violence.
Nothing is working.

Nigeria isn't one, that is the bitter truth must of you refuse to accept.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Niger Deltans Not Questioning Their Governors by dablazor: 9:06pm On Jun 01, 2016
thomasthomas:

All I see is hypocrisy!

Think!

All you typed up there only attests to the fact that Nigerian isn't working, its time for a different approach.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Niger Deltans Not Questioning Their Governors by mikolo80: 5:44am On Jun 02, 2016
SWG25:
Because Nigeria runs a unitary system of government. Are you satisfied?
how is having governor's and senators a unitary govt.
Re: Why Are Niger Deltans Not Questioning Their Governors by mikolo80: 5:50am On Jun 02, 2016
dablazor:

they can sue for damages to environment. they can tax. they can set up state owned oil company. they can buy land in north for farming. they can buy fishing boats for ocean fishing.so much they can do but instead you defend incompetence and magaRity. more power to you you hear.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Niger Deltans Not Questioning Their Governors by raumdeuter: 5:53am On Jun 02, 2016
They weren't questioning the FG either when Jonathan was president, It Buhari who must resolve all the problems

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian Air Force Pilot Excited 2 Meet His USA Counterparts At Laughlin,US(pics / If President Buhari Runs For President Again, He Would Win- Femi Adesina Says / Your Clamor For Independence Will End Up To Be Cries Of Siege: Biafra Is Failure

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.