Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,784 members, 7,817,249 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:47 AM

Nigeria Bleeds As Pipeline Bombings, Vandalism Wreaks Economy - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Bleeds As Pipeline Bombings, Vandalism Wreaks Economy (18471 Views)

My Heart Bleeds As I Saw This Picture (pics) / If The North Bleeds, Nigeria Bleeds - Dare Awoniyi Warns Southerners / Niger-Delta Avengers: FG Deploys Team To Uncover Those Behind Pipeline Bombings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Bleeds As Pipeline Bombings, Vandalism Wreaks Economy by copley: 6:51am On Jun 04, 2016
The recent spate of bombings of oil facilities in the Niger Delta has put the Nigerian economy in dire straits, plunging the country further down the road to a financial crisis. Latest data released by the National Bureau of Statistics, NBS, said the Nigerian economy is teetering on the brink of recession and the increase in bombings is throwing the country deeper into the abyss. The situation becomes worrisome when viewed against the backdrop that crude oil exports account for about 70 per cent of Nigeria’s revenue and 90 per cent of Nigeria’s foreign exchange earnings.

In the wake of the return of hostilities in the Niger Delta, Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Mr. Ibe Kachikwu, had a few weeks ago, stated that Nigeria’s crude oil output had dropped to 1.4 million, but analysts are of the view that the country’s crude oil output would have dropped significantly to about 900,000 barrels per day as at today. What is this means that the country is currently losing about 1.3 million barrels of crude oil daily due to the bombing. This is exclusive of the huge volume of gas that is transported through the affected pipeline.

In monetary terms, with the current price of Light Crude oil at about $48.94 per barrel, Nigeria is currently losing about $63.622 million on the deferred 1.3 million barrels of crude it could not export. This is an equivalent of N12.724 billion per day and N381.732 billion per month. Already, the NBS GDP report for the first quarter of 2016 had stated that the crude oil component of the country’s total trade decreased by N716.7 billion or 46.6 per cent against the level recorded in fourth quarter 2015.

In addition to the loss in revenue to the country, power supply is gradually inching closer to zero, as the attacks have crippled almost all of the country’s power plant. Currently, power supply is put at about 2,800 megawatts (MW), dropping to as low as 650MW within the week, from a high of 5,074MW recorded in February. Dallas Peavey, Chief Executive Officer of Egbin Power Plc, stated that the company’s power generating capacity had dropped to less than 10 per cent of its 1,320 megawatts capacity. “We are just sitting idle here,” he told newsmen.

In addition, he stated that until the violence ends and gas supplies resume unhindered, the company has suspended plans to double the capacity of power plant, saying that “We cannot double the capacity if we cannot find fuel.” Desmond Ogba, Managing Counsel and Head of Energy Projects at Templars, a Nigerian law firm, also warned that if the vandalism is not addressed urgently and comprehensively, electricity will continue to deteriorate and the government’s aspiration to significantly increase power generation by 2019 would be a mirage.

As a result of all these negatives, economic analysts are of the view that the future for the Nigerian economy appears bleak, and it is expected that the country’s Gross Domestic Product for the second quarter would be negative, meaning that the country is officially in recession. The situation worsened further for Nigeria, especially with the low oil price, as revenue accruable to the Federal Government would drop drastically. Already, the amount shared by the Federal, state and local government, had over the months been dwindling.

Even with the slight rebound recorded in the price of crude oil in the last couple of days, the country would still be at a disadvantaged, as its low oil output would further worsen the situation.

Reacting to the bombings, Acting Director-General of the proposed Maritime Security Agency (MASECA), Mr. Jacob Ovweghre, said the actions of the Niger Delta Avengers, NDA and other militant groups would wreak the Nigerian economy and cause even greater pain to the people of Niger Delta, who would bear the direct burden of the crisis and not the government.

According to him, the destruction of the pipelines in the Niger Delta will reduce the states’ revenue bases and bleed the nation’s economy, increase environmental degradation, pollution, poverty, hunger, school drop-out, unrest, insecurity, under-development and economic loss. He called on the NDA and other militant groups to desist from bombing crude oil facilities in the Niger Delta and from engaging in other acts of economic sabotage. Ovweghre advised the NDA to have a rethink of their action and use intellectual agitation within the ambit of the law to pursue their demands, so as to gain credibility. It is hoped that the Federal Government resolve the crisis amicably so as to prevent the economy of the country from being brought to its knees.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/06/nigeria-bleeds-pipeline-bombings-vandalism-wreaks-economy/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Bleeds As Pipeline Bombings, Vandalism Wreaks Economy by allthingsgood: 7:05am On Jun 04, 2016
NDA dont care about niger deltans or nigeria or anybody other than their pockets. These people are sponsored by foreigners to destroy nigeria's oil industry

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Bleeds As Pipeline Bombings, Vandalism Wreaks Economy by Nobody: 8:20am On Jun 04, 2016
NDA sef...

When will they go "Extinct"

Re: Nigeria Bleeds As Pipeline Bombings, Vandalism Wreaks Economy by Shehucom(m): 8:20am On Jun 04, 2016
This guys means business, I want to believe there are some powerful people sponsoring them. Why are they not kidnapping, rather destroying pipelines. May God save us in this country. This thing is really affecting everyone.... That's their mission sha, to bring uneasiness to Nigerians

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Bleeds As Pipeline Bombings, Vandalism Wreaks Economy by Zico5(m): 8:21am On Jun 04, 2016
The truth about the current situation is that things will never change until we change our mentality. I could remember the rate at which some fools are praising NDA for the bombing of oil installations. what I know is that government will never fold her arms and allow things to degenerate totally. Its fire for fire. Boko Haram issue is small thing compare to what will happen in Niger Delta. And it will be too bad for the region to go beyond repair. Let's join hands together to save this country. NDA are just after their own benefit, people like tompolo, asari etals know where their bread is being buttered. I know that some fools will still quote me but u can't stop the truth.

13 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigeria Bleeds As Pipeline Bombings, Vandalism Wreaks Economy by kimond101: 8:21am On Jun 04, 2016
Too many things happening at the same time in this country.

The bombings of pipelines had made a popular enamelware factory in lagos to sack over 200 of its staff last month due to no gas supply from their main supplier in the Niger delta region.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Bleeds As Pipeline Bombings, Vandalism Wreaks Economy by Barselonia(m): 8:21am On Jun 04, 2016
God go punish anybody waay wan scattered Nigeria.... either bbokoharam, fulani herdsman, militant, avengers, politicians.....

God goo punishment them straight from earth..... did I hear u ssaay ammeen

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Bleeds As Pipeline Bombings, Vandalism Wreaks Economy by Sirtch(m): 8:21am On Jun 04, 2016
Sometin urgent shld be done abt NDA
Re: Nigeria Bleeds As Pipeline Bombings, Vandalism Wreaks Economy by apatuku: 8:21am On Jun 04, 2016
"Ilu yi ti sumi.....i need American visa
Re: Nigeria Bleeds As Pipeline Bombings, Vandalism Wreaks Economy by richidinho(m): 8:21am On Jun 04, 2016
Nnamdi Kanu's Avengers dey vex ooo

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Bleeds As Pipeline Bombings, Vandalism Wreaks Economy by Nobody: 8:21am On Jun 04, 2016
Watching
Re: Nigeria Bleeds As Pipeline Bombings, Vandalism Wreaks Economy by Terry68: 8:21am On Jun 04, 2016
I thought someone said; our crude production rose to about 1.4m per barrel per day.

And we always use 3 days to fix it.

Why the sudden complain of recession stories...

This country sef, we just dey go back and front like pendulum with our mouth.

44 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria Bleeds As Pipeline Bombings, Vandalism Wreaks Economy by Nickky28(m): 8:22am On Jun 04, 2016
God help us on dis
Re: Nigeria Bleeds As Pipeline Bombings, Vandalism Wreaks Economy by santity100: 8:22am On Jun 04, 2016
We are our own enemy.

Little Bayelsa state receive billion naira monthly allocation since 1999 and there is little or no development in that state and the militants can't ask the governors questions.

The height of stupidity is when you blow pipeline and increase oil spillage and compounding the problems you want the government to solve

The pikin wey say hin mama no go sleep, him sef no go sleep.

I pity the poor

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Bleeds As Pipeline Bombings, Vandalism Wreaks Economy by bright007(f): 8:22am On Jun 04, 2016
[size=20pt] All hail the president of 97% versus 5%. Let's fold our arms and see how you are going to sell cows, groundnut, onion, carrot from the North to finance your padded budget[/size]

107 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria Bleeds As Pipeline Bombings, Vandalism Wreaks Economy by kidman96(m): 8:23am On Jun 04, 2016
Simply because we have a Northerner as a President.

He has crushed Boko Haram and I trust him to do the same to these fools.

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria Bleeds As Pipeline Bombings, Vandalism Wreaks Economy by Nobody: 8:23am On Jun 04, 2016
God we need strength in this nation angryGod we need strength in this nation
Re: Nigeria Bleeds As Pipeline Bombings, Vandalism Wreaks Economy by MyParadise(m): 8:23am On Jun 04, 2016
ok
Re: Nigeria Bleeds As Pipeline Bombings, Vandalism Wreaks Economy by chukslawrence(m): 8:23am On Jun 04, 2016
K
Re: Nigeria Bleeds As Pipeline Bombings, Vandalism Wreaks Economy by Nobody: 8:23am On Jun 04, 2016
This trying-time shall become history, it's just a matter of time. Nothing last forever....

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Bleeds As Pipeline Bombings, Vandalism Wreaks Economy by cutetopsey(f): 8:23am On Jun 04, 2016
God save our mother's land......
Re: Nigeria Bleeds As Pipeline Bombings, Vandalism Wreaks Economy by Nobody: 8:24am On Jun 04, 2016
[size=15pt]R.I.P MUHAMMAD ALI[/size]

"I never thought of losing, but now that it's happened, the only thing is to do it right. That's my obligation to all the people who believe in me. We all have to take defeats in life." - Muhammad Ali 1973

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria Bleeds As Pipeline Bombings, Vandalism Wreaks Economy by AxeurdaddyIX: 8:24am On Jun 04, 2016
allthingsgood:
NDA dont care about niger deltans or nigeria or anybody other than their pockets. These people are sponsored by foreigners to destroy nigeria's oil industry

You know, You might just be saying the truth
Re: Nigeria Bleeds As Pipeline Bombings, Vandalism Wreaks Economy by chigoizie7(m): 8:24am On Jun 04, 2016
Heiyaaa.

There is a limit to which u can exploit an individual.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Bleeds As Pipeline Bombings, Vandalism Wreaks Economy by cegxie(m): 8:24am On Jun 04, 2016
Its not fair what is happening to our dear country Nigeria by Nigerians to Nigerians through Nigerians.
Re: Nigeria Bleeds As Pipeline Bombings, Vandalism Wreaks Economy by cecs(m): 8:25am On Jun 04, 2016
One nigeria
Re: Nigeria Bleeds As Pipeline Bombings, Vandalism Wreaks Economy by Debaddest(m): 8:26am On Jun 04, 2016
Thank God, am going home
Re: Nigeria Bleeds As Pipeline Bombings, Vandalism Wreaks Economy by onosprince(m): 8:26am On Jun 04, 2016
Nigeria is seeing her period so let her bleed grin

8 Likes

Re: Nigeria Bleeds As Pipeline Bombings, Vandalism Wreaks Economy by personal59: 8:26am On Jun 04, 2016
chigoizie7:
Heiyaaa.

There is a limit to which u can exploit an individual.
No b ur fault with dis ur comment it shows u never start making money on ur own u still depend on ur parent for token.

Of what benefit is u fighting on my behalf without thinking abt d effect on m. Does dis sacking or petrol price affect dose in power? If truly dey re fighting for d masses atiku, obasanjo, tinubu, buhari and co av personal business let dem go and destroy their businesses den I will knw dey think abt m because dat will affect dem directly not this madness dey re doing

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Bleeds As Pipeline Bombings, Vandalism Wreaks Economy by Firefire(m): 8:26am On Jun 04, 2016
It is well.
Re: Nigeria Bleeds As Pipeline Bombings, Vandalism Wreaks Economy by Dbboy(m): 8:26am On Jun 04, 2016
Ok
Re: Nigeria Bleeds As Pipeline Bombings, Vandalism Wreaks Economy by Aroh48(m): 8:27am On Jun 04, 2016
What kind of problem is this?If you want the president go to aso rock and get him,stop crippling the economy because apc have already put us in a mess and please don't worsen the situation.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Senate Approves Six RMAFC Board Nominees, Drops One For Security Reasons / Cameroon Hands Over 5,000 Nigerian Refugees To Borno Governor / ‘Too Many Lies’ – Amaechi Slams Ex-npa Boss, Hadiza Usman, Makes Fresh Claims

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.