Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,266 members, 7,818,921 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:07 AM

Switzerland Votes On Plan To Give EVERYONE A Basic Income Of £1,750 A Month - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Switzerland Votes On Plan To Give EVERYONE A Basic Income Of £1,750 A Month (1699 Views)

Osinbajo Speaks On ‘plan To Increase Fuel Price’, Gives Reasons For Scarcity / Dino Melaye Shares New Photos After Being Blasted For His Outfit In Switzerland / Dino Melaye's Outfit To A Cocktail Event In Switzerland. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Switzerland Votes On Plan To Give EVERYONE A Basic Income Of £1,750 A Month by centvin008(m): 3:52pm On Jun 05, 2016
Switzerland votes on plan to give EVERYONE a basic income of £1,750 a month whether they work or not 
-Swiss voters are being asked to vote in a referendum on basic income 
-Plan will see everybody in the country receive a monthly wage of £1,750 
-Supporters of plan say it will promote human dignity and public service
-But opponents, including the government, say it will weaken the economy   
Voters are going to the polls in Switzerland in a referendum on a proposal to introduce a guaranteed basic income of £1,750 a month for everybody living in the country.

The initiative by Basel cafe owner Daniel Haeni and allies has scant chances of victory but public interest in the matter is huge, far beyond Swiss borders.

Supporters said introducing a monthly income of 2,500 Swiss francs (£1750) per adult and 625 francs per child under 18 would promote human dignity and public service.
Opponents, including the government, said it would cost too much and weaken the economy.

Campaigners tried to gain international attention by creating a poster bigger than a soccer field asking 'What would you do if your income was secure?' and showing it in Geneva and Berlin, and, via a video of the performance, in New York.

They had also handed out free 10-franc notes to passersby.
Switzerland with its system of direct democracy is the first country to hold a national referendum on an unconditional basic income, but other countries including Finland are examining similar plans.

Polling stations in most places opened at 10.00 am and were set to close at noon, but most people in the wealthy Alpine nation vote in advance.

In Geneva for instance, 47.4 percent of eligible voters had already cast their ballot on Saturday evening, according to the regional voting service.
Several other contentious issues are also being put to the vote under Switzerland's system of direct democracy on Sunday, some of which have a better chance of going through.

A recent gfs.bern poll indicated that 60 per cent of voters are in favour of a government proposal to speed up the country's asylum process.

The aim is for most cases to be handled within 140 days or less, compared to an average of around 400 days at the moment.

The Swiss will also vote on whether to allow genetic testing of embryos before they are inserted in the uterus in cases of in vitro fertilisation where either parent carries a serious hereditary disease.

No screening would be permitted for things like gender, hair and eye colour, but that has not stopped opponents from dubbing the initiative the 'eugenics law'.

The final results of Sunday's vote were expected to be clear by early evening.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3626081/Switzerland-votes-plan-basic-income-1-750-month-work-not.html?ito=social-facebook

2 Likes

Re: Switzerland Votes On Plan To Give EVERYONE A Basic Income Of £1,750 A Month by otukpo(f): 3:56pm On Jun 05, 2016
Yea, this is a nation that plans for the future of its citizens.

5 Likes

Re: Switzerland Votes On Plan To Give EVERYONE A Basic Income Of £1,750 A Month by Nobody: 3:59pm On Jun 05, 2016
For jealousy sake i advice the mode to take down this post

long live

4 Likes

Re: Switzerland Votes On Plan To Give EVERYONE A Basic Income Of £1,750 A Month by Rose2014: 4:02pm On Jun 05, 2016
While After one year in Naija, FG hasn't fulfilled N5000($15) monthly promised to unemployed youths

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Switzerland Votes On Plan To Give EVERYONE A Basic Income Of £1,750 A Month by Rose2014: 4:04pm On Jun 05, 2016
wolfslair:
For jealousy sake i advice the mode to take down this post

long live

I agree grin

2 Likes

Re: Switzerland Votes On Plan To Give EVERYONE A Basic Income Of £1,750 A Month by PRYCE(m): 4:06pm On Jun 05, 2016
Wonderful!
Re: Switzerland Votes On Plan To Give EVERYONE A Basic Income Of £1,750 A Month by Vulu: 4:08pm On Jun 05, 2016
How the hell did we survive the misfortune of having feudal muslim fulanis and hausas as fellow countrymen? pheww!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Switzerland Votes On Plan To Give EVERYONE A Basic Income Of £1,750 A Month by DaBullIT(m): 4:19pm On Jun 05, 2016
For those of them scattering their mouth up and down about the government not being able to pay $15 promised to youths, Let's not forget that the brothers,fathers,son of your soils just vomited 3 Trn Naira , which could have served greater purposes if it wasn't stolen
Re: Switzerland Votes On Plan To Give EVERYONE A Basic Income Of £1,750 A Month by citizenY(m): 4:25pm On Jun 05, 2016
No mind am.... the guy has just ruined my Sunday embarassed

1 Like

Re: Switzerland Votes On Plan To Give EVERYONE A Basic Income Of £1,750 A Month by otukpo(f): 4:27pm On Jun 05, 2016
And if i may ask, what is the size of Switzerland in terms of landmass and population?
Re: Switzerland Votes On Plan To Give EVERYONE A Basic Income Of £1,750 A Month by modath(f): 4:29pm On Jun 05, 2016
otukpo:
Yea, this is a nation that plans for the future of its citizens.

Do you know how many country's patrimony they are sitting on?

How many dead looters and busted drug cartels funds they are balling hard on?

Anyway, truth be told, coming as a Swiss in the next life won't be a miswaka..

Mynd44 lalasticlala come and see Swiss Snake. cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Switzerland Votes On Plan To Give EVERYONE A Basic Income Of £1,750 A Month by Nobody: 4:32pm On Jun 05, 2016
DaBullIT:
For those of them scattering their mouth up and down about the government not being able to pay $15 promised to youths, Let's not forget that the brothers,fathers,son of your soils just vomited 3 Trn Naira , which could have served greater purposes if it wasn't stolen

leave talk

long live

2 Likes

Re: Switzerland Votes On Plan To Give EVERYONE A Basic Income Of £1,750 A Month by stevnwigw: 4:34pm On Jun 05, 2016
God bless Switzerland for recognizing the dignity of man .

1 Like

Re: Switzerland Votes On Plan To Give EVERYONE A Basic Income Of £1,750 A Month by clefstone(m): 4:34pm On Jun 05, 2016
5000naira = 10pounds
Re: Switzerland Votes On Plan To Give EVERYONE A Basic Income Of £1,750 A Month by clefstone(m): 4:35pm On Jun 05, 2016
And apc govt is voting to give 10 pounds only to 'the poorest of the poor' while zombies r screaming change

1 Like

Re: Switzerland Votes On Plan To Give EVERYONE A Basic Income Of £1,750 A Month by seacoast(m): 4:39pm On Jun 05, 2016
APC will soon record yet another success. From defeating BH technically......

To Mentioning looted figures without looters.

To introducing Monthly payment to another country.

Lai we dey wait u oo
Re: Switzerland Votes On Plan To Give EVERYONE A Basic Income Of £1,750 A Month by 989900: 4:52pm On Jun 05, 2016
'Abeg', what is the synonym of speechless?

This can be a good/bad thing.
Re: Switzerland Votes On Plan To Give EVERYONE A Basic Income Of £1,750 A Month by Nobody: 5:18pm On Jun 05, 2016
How much is swiss visa.
Re: Switzerland Votes On Plan To Give EVERYONE A Basic Income Of £1,750 A Month by chigoizie7(m): 6:38pm On Jun 05, 2016
U guys really don't know what dis move will do to their economy on d long run.

The truth is, create an enabling environment, create jobs for everyone and then allow all of us to compete equally. Anyone that survives, GOOD.

It will just make them all lazy in the near future.

1 Like

Re: Switzerland Votes On Plan To Give EVERYONE A Basic Income Of £1,750 A Month by Nobody: 6:42pm On Jun 05, 2016
Na our money be that oo!

We need to make these thieving countries return our money sharply angry

1 Like

Re: Switzerland Votes On Plan To Give EVERYONE A Basic Income Of £1,750 A Month by stevnwigw: 6:43pm On Jun 05, 2016
chigoizie7:
U guys really don't know what dis move will do to their economy on d long run.

The truth is, create an enabling environment, create jobs for everyone and then allow all of us to compete equally. Anyone that survives, GOOD.

It will just make them all lazy in the near future.
hey man I want to be lazy but be sure of where my next meal will be coming from rather than be hardworking and not sure of my next meal.
Re: Switzerland Votes On Plan To Give EVERYONE A Basic Income Of £1,750 A Month by Rossikki: 6:47pm On Jun 05, 2016
stevnwigw:
God bless Switzerland for recognizing the dignity of man.

SHOULD GOD ALSO BLESS SWITZERLAND FOR BEING THE SAFE HOME TO THE WORLD'S LOOTED FUNDS, WHICH I SUPPOSE IS WHY THEY ARE RICH ENOUGH TO AFFORD THIS PROGRAMME?
Re: Switzerland Votes On Plan To Give EVERYONE A Basic Income Of £1,750 A Month by otukpo(f): 7:06pm On Jun 05, 2016
modath:

Do you know how many country's patrimony they are sitting on?

How many dead looters and busted drug cartels funds they are balling hard on?

Anyway, truth be told, coming as a Swiss in the next life won't be a miswaka..

Mynd44 lalasticlala come and see Swiss Snake. cheesy

At least we all know that a country can survive without oil and seaport.
Re: Switzerland Votes On Plan To Give EVERYONE A Basic Income Of £1,750 A Month by otukpo(f): 7:12pm On Jun 05, 2016
Rossikki:

SHOULD GOD ALSO BLESS SWITZERLAND FOR BEING THE SAFE HOME TO THE WORLD'S LOOTED FUNDS, WHICH I SUPPOSE IS WHY THEY ARE RICH ENOUGH TO AFFORD THIS PROGRAMME?

And how did they make their country a safe haven for looted funds.

It took them hard work to build that confidence in foreigners to bring their funds into their country.
Re: Switzerland Votes On Plan To Give EVERYONE A Basic Income Of £1,750 A Month by Rossikki: 7:18pm On Jun 05, 2016
otukpo:

And how did they make their country a safe haven for looted funds.

It took them hard work to build that confidence in foreigners to bring their funds into their country.

WHAT HARD WORK? This is the result of not studying/researching before posting.

The Swiss are simply protected by their European status plus USA/NATO backing etc. They can do pretty much what they like. There's no ''hard work'' involved, trust me. Call it Legalised Grand Corruption.
Re: Switzerland Votes On Plan To Give EVERYONE A Basic Income Of £1,750 A Month by otukpo(f): 7:23pm On Jun 05, 2016
Rossikki:

The Swiss are simply protected by their European status plus USA/NATO backing etc. They can do pretty much what they like. There's no ''hard work'' involved, trust me.

Lol

I
Re: Switzerland Votes On Plan To Give EVERYONE A Basic Income Of £1,750 A Month by otukpo(f): 7:23pm On Jun 05, 2016
Rossikki:

The Swiss are simply protected by their European status plus USA/NATO backing etc. They can do pretty much what they like. There's no ''hard work'' involved, trust me.

Lol
Re: Switzerland Votes On Plan To Give EVERYONE A Basic Income Of £1,750 A Month by ckmayoca: 7:24pm On Jun 05, 2016
Where are they making their own money from oh abi na abacha left over be that?
Re: Switzerland Votes On Plan To Give EVERYONE A Basic Income Of £1,750 A Month by Nobody: 7:35pm On Jun 05, 2016
I am relocating ASAP
Re: Switzerland Votes On Plan To Give EVERYONE A Basic Income Of £1,750 A Month by cocolacec(m): 7:53pm On Jun 05, 2016
following the footsteps of Finland
Re: Switzerland Votes On Plan To Give EVERYONE A Basic Income Of £1,750 A Month by chigoizie7(m): 8:14pm On Jun 05, 2016
stevnwigw:
hey man I want to be lazy but be sure of where my next meal will be coming from rather than be hardworking and not sure of my next meal.

Well, on the contrary, they voted against it. 76.8% of swiss citizens voted against it.

I guess they held the same view with me. I also guess they know better.

Swiss is apparently one of the wealthiest nations in Europe with a very low unemployment rate.
Re: Switzerland Votes On Plan To Give EVERYONE A Basic Income Of £1,750 A Month by sanandreas(m): 8:25pm On Jun 05, 2016
They are not better than us but some macroscopic elements won't allow us go forward in this country . Switzerland have low crime rate. Prisons empty and they don't give births like rabbits. How on earth full family Na beggars for street. E turn to company.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Gov.yahya Bello And His Wife Both Recieving Prayers From Mama Bello / Ohanaeze Will Sue FG Over S/east, S/south Marginalisation - Nwodo / Breaking: Barr. Sola Iji Confirmed As Ambassador Today At The National Assembly.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.