Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,390 members, 7,836,567 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 09:59 AM

Confab Report:Restructuring Nigeria Not Our Priority APC Tells Nigerians - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Confab Report:Restructuring Nigeria Not Our Priority APC Tells Nigerians (3321 Views)

Restructuring: Implement Confab Report Now - Jonathan Advises Buhari / RESTRUCTURING: CONFAB 2014 Report Endorses 18 New States (LIST) / Buhari: Confab Report Is For The Archives - Confab Delegates Reacts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Confab Report:Restructuring Nigeria Not Our Priority APC Tells Nigerians by Decibel: 5:38pm On Jun 05, 2016
National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress, Chief John Odigie-Oyegun has said the issue of restructuring is not the party priority for now.

According to him, the President Muhammadu Buhari-led APC administration is currently focused on rebuilding the economy, creating jobs and ensuring the security of lives and property.
The APC chief said this in a telephone interview with SUNDAY PUNCH in Abuja, on Friday.
He explained that because the issue was important, the party would at the appropriate time; make its position on the matter public.
This is as the Presidency on Saturday said it was on the same page with the ruling APC on calls for the reconstruction of the country.

The Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Mr. Femi Adesina, said this in an interview with SUNDAY PUNCH .
Odigie-Oyegun noted that there were several challenges the administration was currently grappling with.
He said, “To bring this additional issue (restructuring) – is not the wisest thing for a nation that is struggling to stabilise to go into an unnecessary diversion at this point.

“Nothing is wrong with the idea but at this time, it is best for us to concentrate on our priorities. As a party, our priority right now is to rebuild the economy, create jobs and deal with the security problems at hand.
“And with what is happening in the Niger Delta you can see that there is so much to do. We must get our priority right some day we will come to that.”
He pleaded with Nigerians not to lose hope because the current challenges were temporary while appealing to them to continue to give unwavering support for the Buhari-led administration to enable it to deliver on its mandate.
Former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar had, on Tuesday, advocated the restructuring of the country to ensure the development and growth of the federating units.
“Agitations by many right-thinking Nigerians call for a restructuring and a renewal of our federation to make it less centralised, less suffocating and less dictatorial in the affairs of our country’s constituent units and localities,” the former vice-president had said at a book presentation, “We are all Biafrans”, in Abuja.

Eminent Nigerians such as a former Secretary-General of the Commonwealth, Chief Emeka Anyaoku, and an ex-Chairman of the Nigerian chapter of Transparency International, Maj. Gen. Ishola Williams (retd.), as well as groups such as Yoruba socio-political organisation, Afenifere, and the pan-Igbo umbrella body, the Ohanaeze Ndigbo, had also supported Atiku’s call.
When asked about the Presidency’s position on the calls, Adesina referred our correspondent to the ruling party’s roadmap for the country.
He said, “The governing party, the APC, has a position on restructuring in its roadmap for the country. Please consult the document.”
Our correspondent’s online check of the party’s document titled “Roadmap to a new Nigeria” showed that the closest information to the issue of restructuring was contained in a section titled “Strengthen peace, security and Foreign Policy.”
Under that section, the APC listed its roadmap for peace, security and foreign policy to include; to enable states to have their own local police forces that address the special needs of each community, including community policing initiatives that restore trust among local citizens; establishing a serious crime squad with state-of-the-art training and equipment to combat terrorism, militancy and ethno-religious communal clashes; and to provide a comprehensive compensation plan for victims of ethno-religious crisis, communal clashes and terrorism.

http://punchng.com/presidency-apc-reject-calls-restructuring/
Re: Confab Report:Restructuring Nigeria Not Our Priority APC Tells Nigerians by ekefre4(m): 5:38pm On Jun 05, 2016
I don't know the roadmap that the APC-led government has been following sha...Cos it actually lacks direction so far. And how is peace supposed 2 b brought without restructuring? I guess they mean bringing peace in the form of dictatorship by shooting unarmed civilians et al

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Confab Report:Restructuring Nigeria Not Our Priority APC Tells Nigerians by bluaero(m): 5:40pm On Jun 05, 2016
How is the abokki's ear infection?

Who is fooling who? The deaf despot has already said he will not touch the confab report. Tell this crap to the masturbating zombies undecided

14 Likes

Re: Confab Report:Restructuring Nigeria Not Our Priority APC Tells Nigerians by 989900: 5:42pm On Jun 05, 2016
Best response from Femi in a long while.

2 Likes

Re: Confab Report:Restructuring Nigeria Not Our Priority APC Tells Nigerians by ckmayoca: 5:45pm On Jun 05, 2016
The restructuring is the best way to keep the security at check cos tribalism and religious wahala go reduce well.

5 Likes

Re: Confab Report:Restructuring Nigeria Not Our Priority APC Tells Nigerians by ekefre4(m): 5:45pm On Jun 05, 2016
bluaero:
How is the abokki's ear infection?
grin grin Have u confirmed if amadioha has slapped someone of recent?

7 Likes

Re: Confab Report:Restructuring Nigeria Not Our Priority APC Tells Nigerians by Thewrath(m): 5:55pm On Jun 05, 2016
Then Nigeria will be forced to reset to default by the avengers.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Confab Report:Restructuring Nigeria Not Our Priority APC Tells Nigerians by Abagworo(m): 5:58pm On Jun 05, 2016
It depends on what they mean by restructuring. The only direction to a growth oriented Nigeria is reduction of power at the center and gradual move towards fiscal independence of States.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Confab Report:Restructuring Nigeria Not Our Priority APC Tells Nigerians by Adminisher: 5:58pm On Jun 05, 2016
Very SIMPLE. The APC dies not tell lies or make false promises. Restructuring is not a priority.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Confab Report:Restructuring Nigeria Not Our Priority APC Tells Nigerians by chxe: 6:00pm On Jun 05, 2016
Una neva chee chumtin

1 Like

Re: Confab Report:Restructuring Nigeria Not Our Priority APC Tells Nigerians by otukpo(f): 6:01pm On Jun 05, 2016
That is to say APC does not mean well for Nigeria. Everyone knows that restructuring Nigeria is the best thing that will happen to Nigeria at this point in time.

8 Likes

Re: Confab Report:Restructuring Nigeria Not Our Priority APC Tells Nigerians by Armaggedon: 6:01pm On Jun 05, 2016
Expect more attacks from tomorrow cos those avenger will be provoked

3 Likes

Re: Confab Report:Restructuring Nigeria Not Our Priority APC Tells Nigerians by yungpowers(m): 6:02pm On Jun 05, 2016
Former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar had, on Tuesday, advocated the restructuring of the country to ensure the development and growth of the federating units.
“Agitations by many right-thinking Nigerians call for a restructuring and a renewal of our federation to make it less centralised, less suffocating and less dictatorial in the affairs of our country’s constituent units and localities,” the former vice-president had said at a book presentation, “We are all Biafrans”, in Abuja.

A Northerner is being reasonable for once.
On the other hand, all we need is Biafra.

8 Likes

Re: Confab Report:Restructuring Nigeria Not Our Priority APC Tells Nigerians by talktonase(m): 6:12pm On Jun 05, 2016
APC will not want to implement such a report because PDP will take the glory.It is only evident that APC lacks a sense of direction.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Confab Report:Restructuring Nigeria Not Our Priority APC Tells Nigerians by Vulu: 6:16pm On Jun 05, 2016
Ok you no go restructure abi. Watch out for the headlines tommorow, NDA will send you another message.

4 Likes

Re: Confab Report:Restructuring Nigeria Not Our Priority APC Tells Nigerians by Splinz(m): 6:17pm On Jun 05, 2016
Okay. Then the struggles must continue. Maybe when oil production reduced to 100 bpd, then will APC realised that restructuring the country now is cardinal.

11 Likes

Re: Confab Report:Restructuring Nigeria Not Our Priority APC Tells Nigerians by mrvitalis(m): 6:22pm On Jun 05, 2016
Economy is in shambles, States can't even pay salaries, naira is lossing value and all some people are thinking is to restructure to make them have access to more found

Am not against restructuring, if we want a confab then it should be more of a referendum

Let's get our economy back on track then we will talk

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Confab Report:Restructuring Nigeria Not Our Priority APC Tells Nigerians by Nobody: 6:22pm On Jun 05, 2016
Talking cheap again
Let Avengers hear you
Sellout man

Lv

3 Likes

Re: Confab Report:Restructuring Nigeria Not Our Priority APC Tells Nigerians by QuotaSystem: 6:24pm On Jun 05, 2016
Restructure your minds from ethno religious bias and you will find out the present structure as designed and instituted by Easterner Aguiyi Ironsi is still intact.

If you want to be better represented in the centre, build bridges and make alliances instead of trying to restructure the country with bombs. You'll fail.

God bless Nigeria.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Confab Report:Restructuring Nigeria Not Our Priority APC Tells Nigerians by feldido(m): 6:26pm On Jun 05, 2016
Then you'll be forced to do so angry
These guys just want a share of the cake, and reducing the power in the center will hinder their progress.

2 Likes

Re: Confab Report:Restructuring Nigeria Not Our Priority APC Tells Nigerians by Agunechemba1(m): 6:30pm On Jun 05, 2016
You guys never had any positive priority.
True federalism is the way out of this.

6 Likes

Re: Confab Report:Restructuring Nigeria Not Our Priority APC Tells Nigerians by Decodedp: 6:31pm On Jun 05, 2016
Has anyone noticed: just about when PMB's ear infection became public knowledge, rumors of Tinubu & Saraki's reconciliation surfaced, the next was Atiku attending the lunching of a book about restructuring Nigeria and now jagaban's punch is asking questions about what PMB has consistently spoken against. Hope it's not what I'm thinking!

2 Likes

Re: Confab Report:Restructuring Nigeria Not Our Priority APC Tells Nigerians by modath(f): 6:33pm On Jun 05, 2016
989900:
Best response from Femi in a long while.

Nope, not at all!!

I am totally for not giving in to blackmail under any guise but the underlying problem of waiting for Abuja to release funds to fix the crater of a road that connects my town to the next town (federal road)needs to be addressed because it makes absolutely no sense..

Neither does It make sense for my state Commissioner of police to wait for signal from IGP before swinging into action when lives and properties are being threatened so he doesn't "ruffle feathers"..

I do not agree with the scavengers and their bull in a china shop disposition but the country needs restructuring.... we are just using band aid to cover a gangrened festering wound....

5 Likes

Re: Confab Report:Restructuring Nigeria Not Our Priority APC Tells Nigerians by 989900: 6:43pm On Jun 05, 2016
modath:

Nope, not at all!!

I am totally for not giving in to blackmail under any guise but the underlying problem of waiting for Abuja to release funds to fix the crater of a road that connects my town to the next town (federal road)needs to be addressed because it makes absolutely no sense..

Neither does It make sense for my state Commissioner of police to wait for signal from IGP before swinging into action when lives and properties are being threatened so he doesn't "ruffle feathers"..

I do not agree with the scavengers and their bull in a china shop disposition but the country needs restructuring.... we are just using band aid to cover a gangrened festering wound....

The Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Mr. Femi Adesina, said this in an interview with SUNDAY PUNCH .
Odigie-Oyegun noted that there were several challenges the administration was currently grappling with.
He said, “To bring this additional issue (restructuring) – is not the wisest thing for a nation that is struggling to stabilise to go into an unnecessary diversion at this point.
“Nothing is wrong with the idea but at this time, it is best for us to concentrate on our priorities. As a party, our priority right now is to rebuild the economy, create jobs and deal with the security problems at hand.
“And with what is happening in the Niger Delta you can see that there is so much to do. We must get our priority right some day we will come to that.”
He pleaded with Nigerians not to lose hope because the current challenges were temporary while appealing to them to continue to give unwavering support for the Buhari-led administration to enable it to deliver on its mandate.

What would you have said in his shoes?
Re: Confab Report:Restructuring Nigeria Not Our Priority APC Tells Nigerians by LMFashions: 6:50pm On Jun 05, 2016
modath:

Nope, not at all!!

Drink to ur fill abeg

2 Likes

Re: Confab Report:Restructuring Nigeria Not Our Priority APC Tells Nigerians by OLADD: 6:50pm On Jun 05, 2016
otukpo:
That is to say APC does not mean well for Nigeria. Everyone knows that restructuring Nigeria is the best thing that will happen to Nigeria at this point in time.

There was no time APC meant well for Nigeria. It's an assembly of disgruntled elements and dissidents who came on vengeful mission to snatch power from PDP. Their sole mission is to have unfettered access to the national cake at the centre.

1 Like

Re: Confab Report:Restructuring Nigeria Not Our Priority APC Tells Nigerians by jovialclagzy(m): 6:51pm On Jun 05, 2016
Anyway just observing
Re: Confab Report:Restructuring Nigeria Not Our Priority APC Tells Nigerians by Nobody: 6:54pm On Jun 05, 2016
It is disheartening to note that many of the crusaders for the restructuring of Nigeria are members of the APC. Where is Tinubu? Where is Osoba? Where is Fayemi? Where is Lai Mohammed and other advocates of true federalism? They trumpeted the need to give more autonomy to the constituent parts of Nigeria but now their voices have become inaudible after a taste of the national cake.
This shows how inconsistent they are in their beliefs. They merely pandered to populist views to get into office.

We, Yoruba, have been at the forefront of calls to address the dysfunctional challenge of our pseudo-federalist structure, now that we are part of the government at the centre, isn't it the best opportunity to put what we have ached for into practice?

3 Likes

Re: Confab Report:Restructuring Nigeria Not Our Priority APC Tells Nigerians by modath(f): 6:55pm On Jun 05, 2016
989900:

What would you have said in his shoes?

Same thing but the sub is for you.. wink

I have carefully examined our problems and finally come to the conclusion that the single federating unit thing is not and can never be conducive to lasting peace , progress and prosperity......

I read up on Lagos IPP model and compared it to the cluster bleep of power situation that we have as a nation and it further cemented my resolve that this single unit will never ever work, Lai lai Kolewerk....

I know I'm a fickle minded female and may change my mind when some people get my back against the wall through unguarded utterances and acts, but at this moment in time, Restructuring ni mo dibo fun... smiley
Re: Confab Report:Restructuring Nigeria Not Our Priority APC Tells Nigerians by OLADD: 7:00pm On Jun 05, 2016
feldido:
Then you'll be forced to do so angry
These guys just want a share of the cake, and reducing the power in the center will hinder their progress.

You're right. Fashola and Tinubu were always heard canvassing for implementation of State Policing when they were in opposition. The duo has suddenly gone silent on the issue despite being in control at the centre. I now detest Nigerian politicians with passion.

3 Likes

Re: Confab Report:Restructuring Nigeria Not Our Priority APC Tells Nigerians by 989900: 7:00pm On Jun 05, 2016
modath:

Same thing but the sub is for you.. wink

I have carefully examined our problems and finally come to the conclusion that the single federating unit thing is not and can never be conducive to lasting peace , progress and prosperity......

I read up on Lagos IPP model and compared it to the cluster bleep of power situation that we have as a nation and it further cemented my resolve that this single unit will never ever work, Lai lai Kolewerk....

I know I'm a fickle minded female and may change my mind when some people get my back against the wall through unguarded utterances and acts, but in this moment in time, Restructuring ti take over..

Mo' cheesy.

Eventually, it will happen, but we have so much to contend with, and regularize at this hour . . . it should be a gradual process IMO.
Re: Confab Report:Restructuring Nigeria Not Our Priority APC Tells Nigerians by Nobody: 7:06pm On Jun 05, 2016
It is like asking a man whose house is burning down to rearrange the furniture in his house. He would have more pressing priorities than rearranging furniture at that time.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Letter From Chief Olusegun Obasanjo To His Yoruba Kins Men / A British Woman Wins A Senate Seat In Lagos Nigeria / Court Begins Hearing Of Appeals Filed Against Bayelsa Gov’ship Election Tribunal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.