Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,132 members, 7,814,954 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:43 AM

Is It Biblical For Pastors To Advertise Miracles - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Biblical For Pastors To Advertise Miracles (5834 Views)

Photo: Court Sentences Two Pastors To 7 Years Imprisonment For Stealing N32M / How Nigerian Christians Make Their Pastors To Sin. / Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Biblical For Pastors To Advertise Miracles by Truthonly(m): 3:53pm On Aug 26, 2009
This is ignorance gone on rampage!

The ministry of Jesus was all about miracles. What is a miracle; It means recieving answers from God.

Please Read;

(1)

Acts 1

1-The former treatise have I made, O Theophilus, of all that Jesus began both to do and teach,

Here the book of The Acts of the Apostles begins by stating that Jesus' ministry started by what He(Jesus) began to 'DO' and teach.
The DOING was more significant than the teaching.

(2)

John 9

1And as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth.

2And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind?

3Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him.

4I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.

5As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world.

6When he had thus spoken, he spat on the ground, and made clay of the spittle, and he anointed the eyes of the blind man with the clay,

7And said unto him, Go, wash in the pool of Siloam, (which is by interpretation, Sent.) He went his way therefore, and washed, and came seeing.

Here Jesus was asked a question concerning a fellow that was blind from birth, see His response in verses 3b and 4.

(3)

Mark 6

1-And he went out from thence, and came into his own country; and his disciples follow him.

2-And when the sabbath day was come, he began to teach in the synagogue: and many hearing him were astonished, saying, From whence hath this man these things? and what wisdom is this which is given unto him, that even such mighty works are wrought by his hands?

3-Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, the brother of James, and Joses, and of Juda, and Simon? and are not his sisters here with us? And they were offended at him.

4-But Jesus, said unto them, A prophet is not without honour, but in his own country, and among his own kin, and in his own house.

5-And he could there do no mighty work, save that he laid his hands upon a few sick folk, and healed them.

6-And he marvelled because of their unbelief. And he went round about the villages, teaching.

Jesus, when He went to His own country, wasn't recognized as Son of God and was in fact despised.

And in verse 5, the Bible said "And he could there do no mighty work, save that he laid his hands upon a few sick folk, and healed them"

The verse says Jesus could not do His usual mighty works- WHY?

In verse 6, it says its because of their unbelief. So He went round about the villages teaching to improve their faith level.  

(4)

1 Corinthians 2

1-And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God.

2-For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.

3-And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling.

4-And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:

5-That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.

See Apostle Paul's statement in verses 4 & 5

The Power of God is the point of Christianity!

(5)

Rom 1

15-So, as much as in me is, I am ready to preach the gospel to you that are at Rome also.

16-For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

17-For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

The preaching of the word of God is the ingredient for building the faith you require to receive from God.

What is a miracle; It means receiving answers from God. And without faith you cannot receive from God. And faith comes by hearing the word of God.
Re: Is It Biblical For Pastors To Advertise Miracles by DeepSight(m): 3:54pm On Aug 26, 2009
infact, instead of wasting my time with a salaried job, i guess i should go open my own church, abeg, make una come dey pay me tithe, make i take buy private jet, dont worry, your faith will heal you! wink
Re: Is It Biblical For Pastors To Advertise Miracles by oladayo042: 4:00pm On Aug 26, 2009
@Deep Sight
Dont generalize d issue. Try using d word (some churches)
Re: Is It Biblical For Pastors To Advertise Miracles by markemmi(m): 4:05pm On Aug 26, 2009
@Deep sight. Becareful dont say things you dont know and dont mock God. When you see a miracle it builds up your own faith to receive one.

how did we come to know about the miracles of Jesus if it wasnt told. Come on dont be myopic
Re: Is It Biblical For Pastors To Advertise Miracles by Rooneyboy(m): 4:09pm On Aug 26, 2009
I ve got nothing much 2 say. All i know is that (1) people should be very careful about how they hop 4m church 2 church, (2)People should be very careful about churches that constantly preaches prosperity/healing, (3)people should be VERY CAREFUL about how they let pa$tor$ lay their hands on them its very dangerous.
Re: Is It Biblical For Pastors To Advertise Miracles by spikedcylinder: 4:13pm On Aug 26, 2009
It should be. How else will they market their product? Word of mouth?
Re: Is It Biblical For Pastors To Advertise Miracles by DeepSight(m): 4:16pm On Aug 26, 2009
@ oladayo 042 -

You are right - some churches, not all churches. Mostly i find the old orthodox churches are more transparent and accountable. I am yet to see a single pentecostal or new generation church that publiishes its accounts and records of inflows and outflows. They are terribly corrupt businesses only surpassed by the stupidity of their hypnotized flock.

@ markemmi -

Please give me a break. I see miracles everyday - the very sunrise itself is a wonder in my sight. We dont need a theiving pastor to lay his corrupt hands on us before we see true miracles of God.

@spikedcylinder -

I am happy you admit the miracles are a "product" that need to be sold. In that case the churches should be taxed, and be regulated by SON or some other regulator.
Re: Is It Biblical For Pastors To Advertise Miracles by CrudeOil2(m): 4:24pm On Aug 26, 2009
supply creates its own demand. only a fake pastor advertises miracles.
Re: Is It Biblical For Pastors To Advertise Miracles by fyneguy: 4:30pm On Aug 26, 2009
Deep Sight:

@ oladayo 042 -

You are right - some churches, not all churches. Mostly i find the old orthodox churches are more transparent and accountable. I am yet to see a single pentecostal or new generation church that publiishes its accounts and records of inflows and outflows. They are terribly corrupt businesses only surpassed by the stupidity of their hypnotized flock,

lol Deep sight

It's obvious you belong to an orthodox church.

The fact that an organization or a church, in this case, publishes its accounts does not mean there's no embezzlement going on. We all know about doctored statement of accounts and stuffs.

Even at that, you are using worldly standards to assess an entirely spiritual affair.

It does not work like that my dear
Re: Is It Biblical For Pastors To Advertise Miracles by fyneguy: 4:34pm On Aug 26, 2009
An example of an Advert

Jesus said ''Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest '' Matt 11 v 28

That's an advert!
Re: Is It Biblical For Pastors To Advertise Miracles by fyneguy: 4:41pm On Aug 26, 2009
Crude Oil:

supply creates its own demand. only a fake pastor advertises miracles.

You want to support your submission with biblical reference(s)?
Re: Is It Biblical For Pastors To Advertise Miracles by fyneguy: 4:49pm On Aug 26, 2009
All I'm saying is it's not what is done that matters but the purpose behind what is done.

The Pharisees took up Jesus on the issue of Sabbath day but Jesus rubbished their sentiments with His purpose.

Do you know how many people have given their lives to christ because they were healed?

Jesus recognized the effect of performing miracles on His mission on earth, and He used it effectively.

How did Jesus get Peter to be His disciple? Ofcourse he used a miracle!

There's nothing, and I repeat, nothing, wrong in advertizing Jesus as a miracle giver if the purpose is right.

MIRACLE is good and it's a part of the gospel (good news) package
Re: Is It Biblical For Pastors To Advertise Miracles by Nobody: 5:09pm On Aug 26, 2009
@fineguy
But Jesus was not in the business of staging fake miracles like your crooked pastor talkless of advertizing it.
Re: Is It Biblical For Pastors To Advertise Miracles by alanbolo(m): 5:14pm On Aug 26, 2009
While not believing in advertising miracles as it is done,   what can be said of advertising the word of God,    "Joel Osteen of  Lakewood Church",  "TD Jakes of The Potter's House", "Creflo Dollar of World Changers", etc,

Let's face it. We are living in cynical times which demand the utmost transparency from those who seek to lead and represent.
Even when leaders present a squeaky clean exterior, they still - being flawed humans like the rest of us - aren't above question.   For it is axiomatic that when it comes to the business of leading by example, image is everything.

Mathew 10: 6 The Bible juxtaposes the need to be as wise as serpents and harmless as doves with good reason.

Another version  ----  "Remember it is I who am sending you out, as sheep into the midst of wolves;prove yourselves as sagacious as serpents, and as innocent as doves.

Hosea 4:6a     My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, ,
Hosea 8:13a    As for My sacrificial gifts, They sacrifice the flesh and eat it, But the LORD has taken no delight in them ,
Re: Is It Biblical For Pastors To Advertise Miracles by alanbolo(m): 5:19pm On Aug 26, 2009
and b4 someone ask my differentials between WORD of God and Miracles,     I mean word of God for empowerments and improving the community u are.   Some pastors do charity work like actual serving the destitute themselves - physically.  It is my Nigerian Churches Pastor that sit and let other serve them.
Re: Is It Biblical For Pastors To Advertise Miracles by Donvilo(m): 5:24pm On Aug 26, 2009
fyneguy:

An example of an Advert

Jesus said ''Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest '' Matt 11 v 28

That's an advert!

That's not what Jesus actually mean. U're confusing urself.
@Topic. Those miracles been displayed by those pastors are phonies! angry
Re: Is It Biblical For Pastors To Advertise Miracles by yourangel: 5:33pm On Aug 26, 2009
@THRUTHONLY, Thanks.

You see, performing of miracles is a major part of the gospel which is the goodnews. Without miracles, the power of God would not be made manifest to men. If a man does not believe in Christ Jesus because of the Word preached, the miracles that follow should be able to convince him. In the gospel of Matthew11:2-5 "Now when John had heard in the prison the works of Christ, he sent two of his disciples and said unto him, art Thou He that should come or we look for another? Jesus answered and said unto them, go and shew John again those things which you do hear and see. The blind receive their sight, and the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, and the deaf hear, the dead are raised up, and the poor have the gospel preached to them." Since John wasnt satisfied about Christ identity anymore by the revelation God gave to him while baptising Christ in Jordan river, Jesus had to resort to shewing him by way of miracles. If you dont advertise miracles, how would people know about it and then build up their faith to receive one? for "faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God." Romans 10:17. As long as money is not being demanded and it's been stated that God is the one doing the miracles, then it is not wrong to publicise the miracles. It's part of the gospel of Christ. Miracles draw people to God more quickly than just the preaching only. Inshort with miracles, you don't need too many scriptures before a sinner surrenders to Christ. If God uses me to raise a dead man back to life, how would people get to know if we dont testify of it or keep it to ourselves only. By then, the purpose of the miracle would have been defeated. The whole world need to know about it because "the earnest expectation of the whole creature waiteth for the manifestation of God's children." Romans 8:19. So, let's keep saying it; let's keep announcing it; let's keep publicising it (if you call that advertisement, no wahala at all); let the whole world hear those miracles as long as people are not made to pay for the miracles nothing is wrong with publicity, it is part of sharing the goodnews that Jesus Christ is alive for evermore. He's given all these gifts (incuding doing of miracles) to us free of charge and hence should be used and publicised to its fullest here on earth because we don't need the miracles in heaven; afterall, "when He ascended up on-high, He led captivity captive and gave gifts unto men." Ephesians 4:8. Finally, I want to categorically state it here that every true child of God filled genuinely with the Holy Ghost knows who is a true and a fake prophet or pastor. God bless us all.
Re: Is It Biblical For Pastors To Advertise Miracles by mrperfect(m): 6:42pm On Aug 26, 2009
May be in some few cases.
Re: Is It Biblical For Pastors To Advertise Miracles by fyneguy: 8:57pm On Aug 26, 2009
Donvilo:

That's not what Jesus actually mean. U're confusing urself.
@Topic. Those miracles been displayed by those pastors are phonies! angry

Lol really?

1.what did Jesus mean and how did you know your interpretation is right?

2. How did you know that the miracles Jesus performed were not fake?

Jagoon:

@fineguy
But Jesus was not in the business of staging fake miracles like your crooked pastor talkless of advertizing it.

Ok. How did you know Jesus was not in the business of staging fake miracles? (Make sure you answer my question and dont make wrong inferences from my question, I'm driving at something)
Re: Is It Biblical For Pastors To Advertise Miracles by DeepSight(m): 9:02pm On Aug 26, 2009
There have always been many magicians about throughout history, even in Jesus' time, there were many that did the sorts of things that he did. Do your research.

Fyneguy, i see what you are driving at, and it is a profound point which fanatics will not want to even address.

Most people dont realize that if they lived in Jesus' time, they would have regarded him and his apostles as a sect and nothing more - just the way we see Guru Maharaji, Olumba Olumba Obu, etc.

I think he was probably a genuine messenger of God though.
Re: Is It Biblical For Pastors To Advertise Miracles by fyneguy: 9:46pm On Aug 26, 2009
Deep Sight:

There have always been many magicians about throughout history, even in Jesus' time, there were many that did the sorts of things that he did. Do your research.

Fyneguy, i see what you are driving at, and it is a profound point which fanatics will not want to even address.

Most people dont realize that if they lived in Jesus' time, they would have regarded him and his apostles as a sect and nothing more - just the way we see Guru Maharaji, Olumba Olumba Obu, etc.

I think he was probably a genuine messenger of God though.

lol You THINK Jesus was PROBABLY a genuine ''messanger'' (lol) of God?

Are you a Christian?
Re: Is It Biblical For Pastors To Advertise Miracles by ogbronx(m): 10:50pm On Aug 26, 2009
the Bible said it all.that a time will come when reverence meant for God will be given to men that are suppose to be doing his work.it said also that false prophets(pastors,G.Os,bishops etc)would make merchandise from his people as we clearly see today.the truth is before us and so many xtians dont want to open their eyes especially those under the spells of these false pastors and prophets.witi.i dont know you but you said the truth my friend.
Re: Is It Biblical For Pastors To Advertise Miracles by Krayola2(m): 10:53pm On Aug 26, 2009
A real miracle would be for Nigerians to finally realize that these religions are a bunch of imported fairy tales that foreigners used to bamboozle us. That would be some really miraculous shit!!
Re: Is It Biblical For Pastors To Advertise Miracles by ogbronx(m): 11:13pm On Aug 26, 2009
it was intended at the beginning of this topic for only xtians to discuss.seems to me that some devil worshipers are also contributing to this thread.by their fruits you shall know them.just listen and watch the news daily and detecting the major false religion wont be difficult.confused pple!false prophets starting coming to deceive millions 500 hundred years after THE LORD ascended to Heaven.
Re: Is It Biblical For Pastors To Advertise Miracles by Krayola2(m): 11:18pm On Aug 26, 2009
The bible. . . . You don't know who wrote the bible. . why do u accept it's authority?
Re: Is It Biblical For Pastors To Advertise Miracles by ogbronx(m): 11:44pm On Aug 26, 2009
@krayola.my 1st impulse was to teach about xtianity but i realised that you are already a condemned person.intellectually,xtianity surpasses any other religion.the facts are everywhere but like i know your father the devil,he would make sure you dont see it cos your place is already with him in hell where he would laugh at your ignorance while you were here on earth.we are all here to do what we must for we have already made our decisions.there, you would call yourself cry-yola and not whats above.
Re: Is It Biblical For Pastors To Advertise Miracles by Krayola2(m): 11:54pm On Aug 26, 2009
ogbronx:

@krayola.my 1st impulse was to teach about xtianity but i realised that you are already a condemned person.intellectually,xtianity surpasses any other religion.the facts are everywhere but like i know your father the devil,he would make sure you dont see it cos your place is already with him in hell where he would laugh at your ignorance while you were here on earth.we are all here to do what we must for we have already made our decisions.there, you would call yourself cry-yola and not whats above.

arent u even goin to try to save my soul ? cry 

U are definitely a counterfeit christian!! Shame on u. the real deal would have pulled out several quotes from the magic book and arrested the demonic forces. U're a phoney. . . U need to enroll in bible college or whateva y'all call it. .
Re: Is It Biblical For Pastors To Advertise Miracles by Tudor6(f): 12:04am On Aug 27, 2009
We're yet to see a verified miracle before you even talk about advertising it sef. . . .
Re: Is It Biblical For Pastors To Advertise Miracles by Chrisbenogor(m): 12:11am On Aug 27, 2009
IMO
A miracle is simple draw a triangle with its angles measuring up to 360 degrees that is a miracle!
Re: Is It Biblical For Pastors To Advertise Miracles by ogbronx(m): 12:15am On Aug 27, 2009
you make me laugh.so you there are real xtians and fakes huh!real as per what?they serve a genuine God?you just slapped yourself.see how God works.from your words and you still refuse to believe.you have judged yourself.i wasnt mean to you.i just said what i think.for what this is worth,may you have peace in your life.over and out!
Re: Is It Biblical For Pastors To Advertise Miracles by bros1234(m): 12:21am On Aug 27, 2009
@Deep sight. Becareful dont say things you dont know and dont mock God. When you see a miracle it builds up your own faith to receive one.

how did we come to know about the miracles of Jesus if it wasnt told. Come on dont be myopic

I guess these guys dont know what advertising means. If Jesus was on earth today He would use TV to preach. Most of these guys talking nonsense will soon need miracles soon and then they would help to advertize them.

As for the guy who is calling names let him tell me how many sinners he has converted since he was born

Nonsense
Re: Is It Biblical For Pastors To Advertise Miracles by Krayola2(m): 12:23am On Aug 27, 2009
Tudór:

We're yet to see a verified miracle before you even talk about advertising it sef. . . .

I locked myself out of my room this afternoon. I had to get a project in by 2 this afternoon and it was around 1:30. I was about to head to school to go and plead with the prof. when my landlord walked in to show the empty rooms to some new students starting next term. luckily for me he had a spare key to my room. This guy lives 4 hours away. Had I said a little prayer before he showed up, that may have just been a miracle, or at least divine intervention. If I were a Christian I might even use it as testimony in church on sunday. But i'm not religious. .  so I was just lucky.

My Aunt survived breast cancer and she prayed the whole time. She went through Chemo and all that and it was a horrible experience for her husband and kids but they came through it. . . that may be a miracle.  But there are several cancer survivors at the old-age home i volunteer at that are not religious at all.   But how do I convince my aunt that her "healing" was not a miracle? I don't think it was, but as someone that witnessed what her and her family went thru, and someone who desperately wanted her to get better, I appreciate what her faith gave her in terms of courage and perserverance.

This religion shit is complicated. . . it is in too deep in the system and i just don't see it going anywhere anytime soon.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Angels Do Not Pray For You. / Jesus Or Mohammed: A Brief Look At 25 Differences / Is Jesus god?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.