Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,199 members, 7,829,288 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:17 AM

Igboland In The Southwest: Business Meets Pleasure(memoir) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igboland In The Southwest: Business Meets Pleasure(memoir) (529 Views)

We’ll Shock The Southwest When The Time Comes – Arewa Youths / Call For A United South By The Southwest,an Insult To The South East-south South / Something Strange Is Happening In The Southwest - Azuka Onwuka (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Igboland In The Southwest: Business Meets Pleasure(memoir) by DesChyko: 5:22pm On Jun 06, 2016
As I alighted from the bike that brought me to Alaba International Market Ojo in Lagos, it felt good to hear all around me, a familiar language, the language of my brothers;my roots, Igbo language.

I was here to do a sort of market survey on many products for a starter in the electricals/electronics line, back home in Imo State.

As I wandered about, it struck me as amazing how one can hear so many dialects of one language being spoken freely in a region that is far far away from home. Being here, it was hard to believe that I was not in Onitsha or Owerri towns.

Anyways, when I entered a shop, I found myself speaking my own dialect and the shop owner understood me easily, and helped me with my inquiries. Thirteen shops I went to, all but one attended to my request easily; some going the extra mile to enhance my results. The only one that didn't help out, and was unwilling to wasn't a tribesman; else he'ld have ruined this narration.

The most beautiful part was nobody showed any surprise at hearing me speak Igbo in a foreign region. They just took it in their stride as we conversed.

Even the person who gave me wire quotations recognized my Mbaise dialect and asked directly if I was from there. It was a jolly moment trading pleasantries at a place where I was expecting to be hard done.

I'm home now, reminiscing over the day, and I'm happy I got to feel at home away from home. Igbo kwenu!

4 Likes

Re: Igboland In The Southwest: Business Meets Pleasure(memoir) by Nobody: 5:25pm On Jun 06, 2016
Evidence of High Blood Pressure will soon begin to manifest on this thread grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Photos: Kaduna, Bauchi State Govs Visits Okorocha Over Bridget Killing N Kano / Governor Saliu Elenuugboro / Biafra Anniversary Impasse: Gov. Obiano Pledges To Hospital Bills Of Victims

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.