Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,121 members, 7,953,465 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 04:46 PM

Resident Doctors Suspend Proposed Strike - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Resident Doctors Suspend Proposed Strike (8228 Views)

Ngige, Kachikwu Set To Meet PENGASSAN Over Proposed Strike / Resident Doctors Suspend Proposed Strike / NLC Cancels Proposed Strike After Serious Consultation With The FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Resident Doctors Suspend Proposed Strike by CircleOfWilis: 10:13pm On Jun 08, 2016
WhatsApp
The proposed indefinite strike by the National Association of Resident Doctors of Nigeria (NARD) scheduled to commence Thursday, has been suspended for one week to allow the House of Representatives intervene between them and the executive.
This reprieve was sequel to a meeting between the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Hon Yakubu Dogara and the National Association of Resident Doctors of Nigeria, NARD,
The meeting was convened at Dogara’s instance and presided over by him according to a statement issued by his spokesman Turaki Hassan in Abuja.
The suspension was sequel to the meeting between the association’s executive members, the Speaker and chairmen of relevant House Committees in his office.
Dogara while speaking asked for a week for the House to meet with the Minister of Health and fashion out ways to meet the demands of the resident doctors and address lingering grievances.
According to him, democracy is about the well-being of the citizens, and he further appealed to the association to understand that the country is presently going through financial challenges.
Dogara said, “It doesn’t matter what faith you profess, for instance, it is clearly stated in the Holy Bible that a labourer should be paid his wages even before his sweat dries.
“I believe that as a responsible government we know this. It is not like we don’t know. But as to challenges facing you, these are not things that we had discussed before, I only heard through the briefings I was given.
“If it is possible for you to open this window for us in the immediate to call on relevant persons who are in charge of this, in conjuction, of course, with active participation of your good selves, the relevant committees of the House, so we can sit at a table like this.
“I can sit down with the chairmen of committees, some members of the relevant committees, with your good selves and members of the ministry and they can bring these issues so we’ll understand why someone will work for four to eight months and not be paid. What is the problem? And then, we will attempt to address these issues together and if it doesn’t work, we can’t stop you from venting your anger and expressing your grievances.
I appeal to you to give us till next week when I hope we will be able to invite them and we will sit down together and iron out the issues.”
“Imagine a situation where all the resident doctors in Nigeria are on strike, what will happen to the people we represent? Democracy’s first promise is life, thereafter liberty, the third promise is the pursuit of happiness. And all of them rest on each other, if you don’t have life, then you cannot begin to talk of liberty, if you don’t have liberty then you cannot begin to talk about happiness.
“So, ultimately, all the three hang on life. When there is no life, there is nothing, democracy is useless because a dead man doesn’t have liberty.
“So for us, democracy itself is life and when you ignore sectors that provide these very essential services that support the health of our people, then we are even scouring democracy itself and its promises and so I agree with you entirely.
“It should be the responsibility of government, actually, to ensure that those who are rendering services, those who are working, providing the vents by which the nation moves, should be able to enjoy not just their salaries, but every other benefit surrounding their scheme of service.”
Dogara lamented that the wealth of Nigeria has shrunk due to decreased crude oil income and that it’s affecting the ability for government to deliver on its responsibilities.
The National President, Dr. Muhammad Askira, has earlier informed the Speaker that members of the association have not been paid salaries and other entitlements for several months

http://thenationonlineng.net/resident-doctors-suspend-proposed-strike/
Re: Resident Doctors Suspend Proposed Strike by opius: 8:06am On Jun 09, 2016
OK
Re: Resident Doctors Suspend Proposed Strike by allanphash7(m): 8:06am On Jun 09, 2016
Won jebi

1 Like

Re: Resident Doctors Suspend Proposed Strike by Leopantro: 8:07am On Jun 09, 2016
The news is false, it was an appeal

1 Like

Re: Resident Doctors Suspend Proposed Strike by azat: 8:07am On Jun 09, 2016
False news.

2 Likes

Re: Resident Doctors Suspend Proposed Strike by Nobody: 8:07am On Jun 09, 2016
Which way Nigeria?
Re: Resident Doctors Suspend Proposed Strike by omusiliyu(m): 8:08am On Jun 09, 2016
BUNCH OF COWARD
Re: Resident Doctors Suspend Proposed Strike by pato1(m): 8:09am On Jun 09, 2016
The point is... they hv bribed them the oga''s at the top. That's Naija for u
Re: Resident Doctors Suspend Proposed Strike by Michellla(f): 8:09am On Jun 09, 2016
Betterrr..

1 Like

Re: Resident Doctors Suspend Proposed Strike by joyandfaith: 8:09am On Jun 09, 2016
We didnt suspend strike- Resident Doctors

The National Association of Resident Doctors of Nigeria, NARD, wish to inform all her members she has denied some media reports saying that she has suspended the planned strike action in full.

The association wishes to state that only members whose salaries are paid in full(with 100%skipping) will be exempted from starting the strike on 9th June 2016, following the intervention with the speaker, while those who are getting fractions or no salaries will continue the strike action as planned. Another meeting has been scheduled for Tuesday where all stakeholders are expected to attend and to chaired by the Hon. Speaker himself.

This is the true position of the meeting between the national president and other members of the leadership and the speaker of the House of Representatives held on Wednesday June 8, 2016.

Members should await and regards further communication only from the NARD leadership.

Signed

Dr Mohammad Askira (PMA)
President.

1 Like

Re: Resident Doctors Suspend Proposed Strike by Exponental(m): 8:19am On Jun 09, 2016
Strike and Nigeria doctors are like......
Re: Resident Doctors Suspend Proposed Strike by MrCow(m): 8:21am On Jun 09, 2016
lolz

confusion everywhere
Re: Resident Doctors Suspend Proposed Strike by pabloid(m): 8:21am On Jun 09, 2016
Apc moderators will rush Falsehood to fp. cheesy cheesy cheesy una well done o
Re: Resident Doctors Suspend Proposed Strike by newbornmacho(m): 8:22am On Jun 09, 2016
Michellla:
Betterrr..
you pretty!

1 Like

Re: Resident Doctors Suspend Proposed Strike by Nobody: 8:24am On Jun 09, 2016
OK.
So now fit marry Dr. Issabella
Re: Resident Doctors Suspend Proposed Strike by MCeeShort(m): 9:05am On Jun 09, 2016
I'm tired of Nigerian doctors!
If them be witch-doctors I for understand!

No calender passes by without hearing that doctors are going on strike!
Who takes care of the patients?
Our national health institution kills more people than it cures....very RUDE nurses and COMPLESANT doctors.

Haba! I just wish the Nigerian Media will blank them completely!
They should gerrerrehiamehn!!!

1 Like

Re: Resident Doctors Suspend Proposed Strike by mikaelzX(m): 9:45am On Jun 09, 2016
We never hear of strikes in the US of A only in Nigeria.
Re: Resident Doctors Suspend Proposed Strike by Nobody: 11:00am On Jun 09, 2016
The strike is still ON
Re: Resident Doctors Suspend Proposed Strike by Image123(m): 11:33am On Jun 09, 2016
pato1:
The point is... they hv bribed them the oga''s at the top. That's Naija for u

i love the proactiveness of this new government against planned strikes so far. If it was the former administrations, the strike will surely start first and lives needlessly lost before the government wades in.

1 Like

Re: Resident Doctors Suspend Proposed Strike by otswag(m): 11:35am On Jun 09, 2016
mikaelzX:
We never hear of strikes in the US of A only in Nigeria.
well, USA isn't d only country other than naija existing. Dr's in England went on strike recently.
Re: Resident Doctors Suspend Proposed Strike by brojoshua: 11:47am On Jun 09, 2016
Good so that they don't add to the existing problems and make themselves additional problem for the governments and to the people. Let their members who fear God, not corrupt and have wisdom bring good ideas and support the government and governments how to move Nigeria forward. And God bless them
Re: Resident Doctors Suspend Proposed Strike by brojoshua: 11:50am On Jun 09, 2016
Good. You know when the going is tough you see the reasonable and wise standing firm
Re: Resident Doctors Suspend Proposed Strike by Compliant(m): 12:12pm On Jun 09, 2016

LETS JUST PRAY FOR GOOD HEALTH

FEDERAL GOVERNMENT IS NOT OWING THEM A PENNY AS FAR AS SALARY IS CONCERN AND I STAND TO BE CORRECTED BECAUSE THEY WERE ALL PAID LAST MONTH.

SELFISH SET OF PEOPLE THAT EVEN 70% OF THEM DONT KNOW ANYTHING.

ITS HIGH TIME SENATE PASS INTO LAW "NO WORK NO PAY LAW"

MUST EVERYTHING END IN STRIKE IN THIS COUNTRY ? WHY CANT WE ALLOW GOVERNMENT TO WORK ? THIS SAME THING HAPPENED WHEN JONATHAN WAS THERE, THIS SAME THING HAPPENED WHEN OBASANJO WAS THERE.

ITS LIKE MILITARY OPTION SHOULD HAVE BEING THE BEST FOR THIS COUNTRY

1 Like

Re: Resident Doctors Suspend Proposed Strike by JustHere2Observ(f): 12:30pm On Jun 09, 2016
MCeeShort:
I'm tired of Nigerian doctors!
If them be witch-doctors I for understand!

No calender passes by without hearing that doctors are going on strike!
Who takes care of the patients?
Our national health institution kills more people than it cures....very RUDE nurses and COMPLESANT doctors.

Haba! I just wish the Nigerian Media will blank them completely!
They should gerrerrehiamehn!!!

And where will you or your family get the health care needed. Why not pray the government give them what is due. Most of them are been owed salaries and are not even paid any presently and they have families to feed and care for. No one can function properly with such conditions. Most hospitals are not equipped with basic facilities to help the sick, yet the government wants them to work with with virtually nothing.
Re: Resident Doctors Suspend Proposed Strike by Nobody: 12:52pm On Jun 09, 2016
I've noted with disdain the comments of some misguided folks above me.
As a doctor, I'm being owed 4months salaries, as in them never pay me shingbain, yet I have responsibilities. Where I wan take see the money to meet up, and some would be saying it's service to humanity. Shey na humanity go settle my bills and meet my obligations?
Many of you guys just take us for granted because we're trained to put dedication above monetary gain.
Biko if this strike would last for eternity, I don't mind, goan tell the sick Buhari to coman man the hospitals.

2 Likes

Re: Resident Doctors Suspend Proposed Strike by phantom(m): 1:01pm On Jun 09, 2016
Compliant:

LETS JUST PRAY FOR GOOD HEALTH

FEDERAL GOVERNMENT IS NOT OWING THEM A PENNY AS FAR AS SALARY IS CONCERN AND I STAND TO BE CORRECTED BECAUSE THEY WERE ALL PAID LAST MONTH.

SELFISH SET OF PEOPLE THAT EVEN 70% OF THEM DONT KNOW ANYTHING.

ITS HIGH TIME SENATE PASS INTO LAW "NO WORK NO PAY LAW"

MUST EVERYTHING END IN STRIKE IN THIS COUNTRY ? WHY CANT WE ALLOW GOVERNMENT TO WORK ? THIS SAME THING HAPPENED WHEN JONATHAN WAS THERE, THIS SAME THING HAPPENED WHEN OBASANJO WAS THERE.

ITS LIKE MILITARY OPTION SHOULD HAVE BEING THE BEST FOR THIS COUNTRY

Are you aware that doctors in some centers have not been paid December salaries? What month are we in now

You want a law saying "no work,no pay".
What of a law against "working with out pay"?

Please before you criticise,ask what the grouse is.

PS: The doctor is a human like you.
He buys in the same market as you, buys from the same filling station and his kids do not go to school free.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Southwest Vs South South (which Is More Developed) / Saraki Doctored His Radio Interview On N10m Donation – Minister / Biafra: See What Is Happening At Onitsha Anambra State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.