Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,840 members, 7,828,060 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 11:11 PM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (92) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (815653 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (89) (90) (91) (92) (93) (94) (95) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by dearstan(m): 10:20am On Oct 03, 2007
can anyone tell me if the following stocks are good buy at these prices

Lasaco @ 3.00

Unity Bank @ 5.96

Transcorp @ 4.20

EcoBank @ 8.20

Consider i am in for short-term
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 1:10pm On Oct 03, 2007
wanaj0:

On Oceanic, I see it as a growth stock in the medium term. There may not be that much appreciation now but in later years, it will do well. Bought at 6.00 last year and I am not regretting it.
wanajo, whats so special about oceanic in particular? what about intercontinental, recently identified as the second fastest growing bank in the world
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by egoldman(m): 2:11pm On Oct 03, 2007
I bought oceanic @27 and would soon play hide and seek with those that bought their PO and have been waiting for the certs,i have to sell it again once they start getting their certs verified , we know they should have them any moment from now.
therefore i have this question; how long does it take for one's cert to be verified with the cscs ? i mean on the average .
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by member67023: 2:20pm On Oct 03, 2007
can anyone tell me if the following stocks are good buy at these prices

Lasaco @ 3.00

Unity Bank @ 5.96

Transcorp @ 4.20

EcoBank @ 8.20

Consider i am in for short-term

I dont think these stocks are short term candidates,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by MyPeace(f): 2:28pm On Oct 03, 2007
what is this Cashcraft Bedrock Fund and Anchor Fund all about. Thx
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by yodiyokun(f): 3:31pm On Oct 03, 2007
Did anyone read about the board reshuffle at Transcorp?

I really do not like anything that has Olorogun Emerhor in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Are these people kidding me - seriously, SERIOUSLY?

This guy ruined the defunct Crystal Bank - Yeah he's very brilliant but he has no ethics or respect for corporate governance!. He should be given an award for financial statement cooking.

I do not know about the others, but I sincerely hope they are not cut from the same cloth as O'tega Emerhor or else Transcorp is in deep shit.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 5:01pm On Oct 03, 2007
21M shares of WEMA bank were traded on the NSE just today there is serious and heavy speculation going on here. This is a bank whose EPS is 0.08(one of the lowest in the sector) and EP Ratio 119(highest in sector) and yet the share has appreciated by about 47k today. Talk of a classic case of market irrationality!
Somebody knows something that we don't or at least i don't
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Temmie10(m): 5:08pm On Oct 03, 2007
@roughcut
u're right. 216m naira today as against 36m naira yestada.

@yodiyokun
sad as it sounds, me thinks a professional statement cook is exactly what transcorp needs at this time. They have to find a way to restore condifence and belief in the company (at leat in the short term).

@mypeace
those two cashcraft funds are 2 new mutual funds that are being launched by cashcraft. the forecasts which might not be met are not ambitous, don't look good except you really are happy with a relatively low return. You'd be better much better off if all you did was listen to easimoni, wanaj0, shigidi, frank, roughcut et al.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 5:12pm On Oct 03, 2007
Temmie10:

@roughcut
u're right. 216m naira today as against 36m naira yestada.

@yodiyokun
sad as it sounds, me thinks a professional statement cook is exactly what transcorp needs at this time. They have to find a way to restore condifence and belief in the company.

@mypeace
those two cashcraft funds are 2 new mutual funds that are being launched by cashcraft. the forecasts which might not be met are not ambitous, don't look good except you really are happy with a relatively low return. You'd be better much better off if all you did was listen to easimoni, wanaj0, shigidi, frank, roughcut et al.
36M yesterday!in two days 57M shares of WEMA bank have changed ownership and its on net bid well well what can i say? I rest my case
Nuff said
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by MyPeace(f): 5:17pm On Oct 03, 2007
Thank you Temmie10, am actually listening to you guys and implementing some of the talks here. Am really grateful to you guys.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Temmie10(m): 5:30pm On Oct 03, 2007
@roughcut

NO, i am talking about the value of the trades not the number of shares.
36m naira yestada,  216m naira today(21m units)
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 5:36pm On Oct 03, 2007
RoughCut:

21M shares of WEMA bank were traded on the NSE just today there is serious and heavy speculation going on here. This is a bank whose EPS is 0.08(one of the lowest in the sector) and EP Ratio 119(highest in sector) and yet the share has appreciated by about 47k today. Talk of a classic case of market irrationality!
Somebody knows something that we don't or at least i don't

Wema's numbers look much different if you project instead of looking at the outdated statements. Sure the current fundamnetal look like utter rubbish but if you consider what most people believe the unreleased results to be, Wema could easily have a trailing EPS of 70K and would become the cheapest bank by far. The MD promised results would be out by November. If that's true, you'll see the most dramatic shift in fundamentals a single announcement can have.

I own a lot based on the potential.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Temmie10(m): 5:39pm On Oct 03, 2007
@easi

Its funny to think that anybody still believes that wema's eps is 0.08. Of course it is miles past that even by their outdated results
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by damoche07(m): 5:41pm On Oct 03, 2007
hi gurusapologise for breakin the flow of ur conversations.

dont mind my layman question pls. BERGER has won the contract for the lagos state mega city as the official paint. is it true?if true,would it be advisable to buy into them now or later.remember the ascent of costain(WA) over rumours of contracts.

Dont ignore me abeg.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 6:18pm On Oct 03, 2007
damoche07:

hi gurusapologise for breakin the flow of your conversations.

don't mind my layman question please. BERGER has won the contract for the lagos state mega city as the official paint. is it true?if true,would it be advisable to buy into them now or later.remember the ascent of costain(WA) over rumours of contracts.

Dont ignore me abeg.

I was going to ignore you until after I bought mine but tongue. Berger PAINTS is a very very sound stock. Current PE is 14, Forward PE is 11, should double in price over the next yr. With good contracts, you'd better get in now before it translates into results.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by barge(m): 6:40pm On Oct 03, 2007
@Easimoni , shig , fRANK IRIRI ,Temmie 10,yodiyokun and others ,

back after a long lay off trying to learn as fast as i can. U all have been a great source of inspiration and i can only ask you to keep the flag flying.Been off the radar because i realize i need to acquire the skills to make good investing and trading decisions. Until am good enough i remain a student on this site.Well , that explains why i have signed up for the CFA Program. Thanx all, will make meaningful contributions as my knowledge fattens.THANX ALL . iI have invested the last 4 hours of my time catching up on the goings on . cheers to all

Barge
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by yodiyokun(f): 6:42pm On Oct 03, 2007
CFA --- na yam?

Kudos to you, you get liver well well.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by yodiyokun(f): 6:43pm On Oct 03, 2007
easimoni:

I was going to ignore you until after I bought mine but tongue. Berger PAINTS is a very very sound stock. Current PE is 14, Forward PE is 11, should double in price over the next yr. With good contracts, you'd better get in now before it translates into results.

How many we go buy? kami kami kami grin grin undecided
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 6:58pm On Oct 03, 2007
@ easimoni, i asked you about costain earlier but you didnt answer.
what projected eps do you have??
and the same goes for berger paints . why do u see it doubling over the next year. please holla. undecided undecided undecided
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by krisbobo(m): 7:03pm On Oct 03, 2007
@ All
I'm Back!! grin grin grin  did u guys miss me? ( as if i ever made any worthy contribution that can be missed!!)

Anyway, a day after my praise-singing my yeye laptop crashed without my permission shocked shocked shocked

I guess the stupid laptop is Nigerian and not used to aprreciating people when they are still alive!!

anyway, I don fix am and am back in class to learn!

Dear teachers, e go on soun!!!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 7:08pm On Oct 03, 2007
shigidi:

@ easimoni, i asked you about costain earlier but you didnt answer.
what projected eps do you have??
and the same goes for berger paints . why do u see it doubling over the next year. please holla. undecided undecided undecided

Must have missed it.
Forward EPS for Costain is N2.90 and I think it's conservative

Berger paints should have a FY EPS of 60k and should be ~75k by this time next year. I'd think it should be worth 12-15 by then. More if they do have the aforementioned contract (I have not done much digging).
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Tmoni(m): 8:05pm On Oct 03, 2007
we are still looking for money to buy WEMA, CRUSADER, DANGOTE, DIAMOND,

now BERGER PAINTS DON ADD TO THE LIST

hw much we get because we need at least 100,000 units of each stock to make substantial impact,
my money don finish,
i did not heed the forum and bought STERLING at N7.50, free money that i could hv used for better stocks
i fit swear for sterling md,

the small one in money market now is going to dangote flour,
e go better
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 8:36pm On Oct 03, 2007
@ easimoni, ur da best grin grin grin cheesy
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 8:44pm On Oct 03, 2007
@ easimoni, from the fsdh daily update, i can not locate the number of issued shares of both berger paints and costain so as to try and attempt my own calculations, how did u get the number of issued shares cos i need to be sure b4 i jump into either of them. undecided
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 9:20pm On Oct 03, 2007
Costain = 159.9M shares
Berger Paints = 217.4M shares.

Let me know what your calcs come up with.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by hbrednic: 11:57pm On Oct 03, 2007
costains northward move is not unconected with their hybrid offer coming out soon.
expect more price surge b/4 the offer date,though with all the contracts they have in their book,
it is a good buy for the medium and long term invs.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by barge(m): 12:42am On Oct 04, 2007
@ yodiyokun

my guy , the CFA program no be yam o. Very challenging indeed but the relevance of the skills one can acquire is the motivation. small time i go join you in crunching the numbers. keep up the good work.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 6:26am On Oct 04, 2007
@easimoni
so everything rests on WEMA's MD All-important statement in November!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 6:38am On Oct 04, 2007
@Temmie10
So the value of the transactions yesterday is about 6 times what was done day before yesterday and in 407 trades!
chei! when the results are finally released and they look good as a lot of peeps expect i dont want to speculate about what will happen to the share price your guess is as good as mine
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Nobody: 9:51am On Oct 04, 2007
Any info on linkage assurance?
Share price dropping and sourced some info from the broker and no clear cut answer.
Outstanding Shares: 4,083,713,569
anyone with info
To me, it is one of the stock to watch in the insurance sector

On Stockwatch this week
EVans- Rumour of likely bonus
Skye Bank-Full year end result, Rumuor of Likely bonus
Bank PHB- Anticipated Public Offer
Dunlop-Relocation to Ghana will likely impact on its profit traget
Okomu Oil-Anticipated 3rd Qtr result with eps of 1.00

Experts predict Rally in Transcorp's price
Transcorp signed a 35 billion naira agreement with 3 renowned world telecommunication giants in the world namely CISCO SYSTEM, CABLE & WIRELESS LIMITED AND DIMENSION BUILDERS to revitalise NITEL
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by samstone4(m): 10:02am On Oct 04, 2007
@All
Thomas Wyatt is on technical suspension for rights issue.
Does anyone have more information?
What do fellow nairalanders think of it?
cool
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 10:12am On Oct 04, 2007
@easimoni
WEMA bank's results are not so rubbish afterall i have cobbled together some figures

Unaudited results for YEnd Mar 31 2006 PAT=N2.2B compared with YEnd Mar 31 2005 PAT=N1B

#Shares Listed 10B(can you double-check this for me?)

Trailing EPS= 0.26 and at the current price of N9.89 that gives a trailing  PE Ratio of  38.9 (expensive)

So when they report in November this year that would be for  YEnd  Mar 31 2007( i assume)

So when they finally get round to reporting in November hopefully the PE will be more affordable and possibly trailing EPS of 70k so excellent

Looks like you have scored a direct hit on this one with your acquisition! I guess they are going to use the much-awaited results in November to push up the share price before they approach the market and with the massive number of the shares changing hands  it is very unlikely the share price will remain in the N9-10 region by the time they go to the market

Well well

(1) (2) (3) ... (89) (90) (91) (92) (93) (94) (95) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.