Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,366 members, 7,819,315 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:17 PM

AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. (63831 Views)

Slums From World Major Cities That Shows All That Glitters Is Not Gold (PHOTOS) / Lagos, Port-harcourt Airports Ranked Amongst 20 Worst Airports In The World / Abeokuta Ranked Fourth Worst City To Live In Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. by farouk0403(m): 11:59am On Sep 10, 2016
MrkenOkonkwo:

I don't agree with that. I have been to almost all the states in Nigeria, what I noticed is that 75% of the land mass are stil untappedl forest. Why can't people move to those places and developed those places? Instead of been jampacked on a small piece of land

Laziness
Re: AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. by Skipo212(m): 12:10pm On Sep 10, 2016
Yuck! Digusting.. Africa wake up. These pictures are graphic.
Re: AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. by Elmgnifico(m): 12:16pm On Sep 10, 2016
Heeei!!! shocked Chisos!! Then places that are slum like in onitsha na London naaa
Re: AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. by Nobody: 12:19pm On Sep 10, 2016
Kgdavid:

Based off your post, Nigeria should have more slums given that we are 4-5 times the size of Kenya.But this is faulty logic, since there is no reason why a larger population must necessarily mean having more slums.

And then according to this list Kenya has more than double the amount of major slums as Nigeria, despite having a much lower population.

But what is so shocking is that you have so many major slums within and around Nairobi alone. [s]Each one containing close to 100, 000 people. It's safe to say that close to 1 million people live in Nairabi's slums. How large is Nairobi if that much of it's population are slum dwellers?[/s]

Modified:

Just reviews the data and it turns out that you have at least 4.5 million slum dwellers in and around Nairobi alone! a good 10% of the Kenyan population dwells in slums, and thats counting only the major slums.

The the posts are not factual

The population of Nairobi and all its residents is 3.1 Million. That includes Kibera.

http://www.nation.co.ke/news/1056-1000340-158pf00/index.html

The op says that Kibera is 2.5 million in population. Something is wrong with his source because thats almost the entire Nairobi population..

Some of the Nairobi slums represented here are not even 500m square km. Explorer is being dishonest.

1 Like

Re: AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. by photoshoot(m): 12:27pm On Sep 10, 2016
DriveByKiller:

You're out of point, Mr. Photoshoot. And dare I suggest your descending to tribal banter is a huge disappointment?

My first encounter with you was when you sought support for your Mr. Nairaland quest, I thought you had a
broad mind.

That list is an international one, Lagos doesn't really represent South West, it represents Nigeria. It isn't for blame trading. Gala sellers abound in every major Nigerian city. But Lagos problem is unique.

Try and learn the history of Makoko before you start pointing blame-trading fingers.

@the bolded, I know who you are. You didn't need to switch to an alternate.

About me descending to tribal slur, what remark did you give your brother that lumped everywhere in lagos a slum?

And Mr. Explorer, the list been an international one doesn't mean it isn't wrong Sir, what would you say about Ilaje and shomolu? Even though the Ilaje is in shomolu? So much for an international list

Gala sellers abound in all cities in Nigeria, but they cause more nuisance in Lagos than all cities. You should know that. I created a thread on some of the nuisance they and other hawkers cause in lagos sometimes back. Check my topic history.

Now back, to Mr Nairaland issue, I stated on the last day of the contest that about the tribal issue on here, it is all for fun to me. If you are going to remind me every time i go tribal that I contested for Mr Nairaland, I guess you better get prepared, it is a long journey.
Re: AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. by sinite93(m): 12:30pm On Sep 10, 2016
Explorers:
Neza Chalco Itza, Mexico City, Mexico.

Containing an epic 4 million inhabitants, Neza Chalco Itza is the world’s largest slum and has the highest crime rate in the state of Mexico.
It seems so organized
Re: AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. by Nobody: 12:43pm On Sep 10, 2016
Explorers:
13. Shomolu (Nigeria).

Shomolu also known as Somolu is an unsophisticated neighborhood in the Ikeja Division of Lagos State, Nigeria. This urban slum is infamous for its poor infrastructure.
dat is ilaje in bariga n not shomolu.
Re: AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. by oglalasioux(m): 12:48pm On Sep 10, 2016
The only hope and solution is birth control. The resources to cater for our booming population is simply not there. Legalizing abortion and making birth control pills available are the first steps. Then marriage and child bearing should be de-emphasized so we can have a saner society.

1 Like

Re: AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. by Nobody: 1:04pm On Sep 10, 2016
gabe:
So kenya is the slum capital of Africa, they do it in style sef, millions, hundreds of thousands as in no hope of redemptionshocked
nairobi population is 4 million.... kibera occupies 6% of total landmass in nairobi city,... it is physically and virtually impossible for 2.5 million people (a majority) to live in 6% of the area.. the UN and aid organisation like to quote the +1million so they can get more money, but kibera population hardly makes it biggest nywhere

http://www.nation.co.ke/news/Kibera-numbers-fail-to-add-up/1056-1003404-lma0qz/index.html

other statistics also dint support that like
http://www.theeastafrican.co.ke/news/2558-1167238-yfenqc/index.html

http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/Kenya-retail-sector-second-most-formalised-in-Africa/539552-3081468-h2qomiz/index.html

3 Likes

Re: AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. by Hbuyosh(m): 1:12pm On Sep 10, 2016
Kgdavid:

Based off your post, Nigeria should have more slums given that we are 4-5 times the size of Kenya.But this is faulty logic, since there is no reason why a larger population must necessarily mean having more slums.
According to World Population Review, Lagos has a population of about 21millilon pipo, out which up to 66% are living in slums. That therefore follows that Lagos infact has more slums than Nairobi, even though none may be as big as Kibera. But then again, just like in Kibera's case, that m,ay be an exaggeration.

And then according to this list Kenya has more than double the amount of major slums as Nigeria, despite having a much lower population.

But what is so shocking is that you have so many major slums within and around Nairobi alone. [s]Each one containing close to 100, 000 people. It's safe to say that close to 1 million people live in Nairabi's slums. How large is Nairobi if that much of it's population are slum dwellers?[/s]

Modified:

Just reviews the data and it turns out that you have at least 4.5 million slum dwellers in and around Nairobi alone! a good 10% of the Kenyan population dwells in slums, and thats counting only the major slums.

Most of the claim regarding the Kibera population size are in fact untrue, they are merely propaganda spread by the aid agencies operating in that place to shock and jolt the donors into giving more aid to support their cause. They are pretty much fleecing the donors.
You can read for your self the following expose by the The Guardian Newspaper

The claim about Kibera's population being at around 2.5million was first appeared in 2005, yet then, Nairobi population was hardly 3million! Nobody noticed the inconsistency in that claim until much later. It is sad, as even stated in that Guardian report, it is alleged that some government officials are in fact involved in this whole scam of presenting the exaggerated report s about the size of population in that slum, as well as the terrible conditions of living in that place (even Oprah had once claimed that the residents depend on the dirty sewages as their source of water which was in fact grossly untrue), all with the intention of swindling the donors.

Now, according to the census which was conducted in 2009, it was revealed that the population of Kibera was actually much smaller than as it was always claimed. at only 170,000, not anywhere near 1million pipo!

https://www.google.com/search?q=2009+cencus+kibera+population&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b

1 Like

Re: AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. by Hbuyosh(m): 1:27pm On Sep 10, 2016
Muafrika2:

The population of Nairobi (including all its slums) is 3 million. Those are fake NGO numbers you are using.

But am still annoyed by the government's incompetency. What does it take to construct proper sewage and water supply, roads and low income houses? More of these should be shown so that the government government can stop sleeping on its job.

The govt is party to the scam, what do u expect?

1 Like

Re: AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. by jamex93(m): 1:41pm On Sep 10, 2016
MrkenOkonkwo:

I don't agree with that. I have been to almost all the states in Nigeria, what I noticed is that 75% of the land mass are stil untappedl forest. Why can't people move to those places and developed those places? Instead of been jampacked on a small piece of land

i taya o
Re: AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. by sade1994(f): 1:45pm On Sep 10, 2016
photoshoot:

You have now resulted into telling lies... ClassicYou.

Yoruba's go to southeast to go and beg, beg for what exactly? Red mud? Or littered feaces?
You should stop daydreaming.

Where do agberos live? Ever heard of mushin agege? Isale eko Iyana ipaja, bro, you indeed know nothing, if you think agberos live in slums.

So someone that sells Gala, and makes profit of about 500naira daily lives in isolo? Ikeja? Oshodi?
Lol, please leave that red mud land and come check it out yourself, I am sure the oshodi you talking about is cele and its posh environs..

Still proving you know nothing.

Don't mind that guy. ..all my life that I've been living in Ibo land, I've never seen a Yoruba beggar.

1 Like

Re: AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. by Maski87: 2:07pm On Sep 10, 2016
But where is ama nmong, in aba
I don’t like the list
Re: AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. by sorepco(m): 2:21pm On Sep 10, 2016
Nothing from south africa?? U must be kidding me
Explorers:
10. Clara Town (Liberia).

Located on a swamp, Clara Town is a network of haphazard, rubbish-strewn streets, many of which are flooded most of the time. This slum is in the Barshod Island in Monrovia, the capital of Liberia.

Image: Kautuma, 31, with her two children outside their home in the Clara To, Liberia.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2829673/EXCLUSIVE-one-children-ticking-Ebola-timebomb-Liberian-disease-boss-reveals-brutal-truth-epidemic-admits-number-orphans-hit-12-000.html
Re: AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. by mrsnow94(m): 2:33pm On Sep 10, 2016
*kenya* after you na you
Re: AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. by Cletus77(m): 2:36pm On Sep 10, 2016
i no fit shout....o blood of saints kenya slum shock me to the marrow
Re: AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. by Cletus77(m): 2:47pm On Sep 10, 2016
wat suprised me in dis african countries is that the slums is in their capital cities.na dis one wey kenyans dey carry make mouth.....yuck.. Disgusting,am not a kenyan but i shame 4 una
Re: AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. by Msauza(m): 2:47pm On Sep 10, 2016
LeSudAfricaine:
South Africa is in this list just for convinience

Those people are not up-to-date with the current status of South Africa in terms of developments. Our government has managed to sweep out slumps through an RDP programme where locals get free low cost housing that has a solar geyser electricity and water.

1 Like

Re: AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. by Cletus77(m): 2:50pm On Sep 10, 2016
ewooo kenya full list
Re: AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. by Cletus77(m): 2:52pm On Sep 10, 2016
mazimee:
Lagos also seems to be competing with Kenya grin grin
lagos slums is even better,cos they all look like riverine areas
Re: AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. by akigbemaru: 3:00pm On Sep 10, 2016
20 slums in afrika!
Re: AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. by figoperch: 3:17pm On Sep 10, 2016
bqlekan:
Beere, oja Oba in Ibadan should make this list...

It a merin, ayeye, Oopo.
Re: AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. by Cletus77(m): 3:29pm On Sep 10, 2016
;(I forgive kenyans for insulting nigeria jst because of dis
Re: AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. by Cletus77(m): 3:34pm On Sep 10, 2016
virtual3xpert:
It was a close race, but the coveted title goes to Kenya. 1st runner up goes to.....Nigeria grin

mumu dem swear for ur eye
Re: AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. by Cletus77(m): 3:47pm On Sep 10, 2016
Dont mind these people, there are some slums in other continents that are far worst than the ones in africa, but as na africa everybody go believe, cos they tink all the bad things are traced to africa. If they wants to rate top most developed cities of the world, african cities will only come out when cities in other continents have finished. If we learn tu appreciate ourself, maybe oneday others wil appreciate us. I see some nigerians shouting kenya! Kenya!! But what dere dont know is dat kenya is in africa and nigeria is also in africa. If we dont learn to stand by each other, then who will? Am a nigerian and i just want to make common sense... Thanks!

1 Like

Re: AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. by photoshoot(m): 4:08pm On Sep 10, 2016
sade1994:

Don't mind that guy. ..all my life that I've been living in Ibo land, I've never seen a Yoruba beggar.

Thats how they go about lying... Nice dp btw
Re: AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. by brandchambers: 4:22pm On Sep 10, 2016
All Kenya should be declared slum.
Re: AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. by DriveByKiller: 4:41pm On Sep 10, 2016
photoshoot:

@the bolded, I know who you are. You didn't need to switch to an alternate.
Switch to an alternate? For you? Your voodooist is giving you false report or you believe your own misplaced hype.

You have not the faintest idea who I am any more than you can predict who will be Nigeria's president in 2019.
photoshoot:

About me descending to tribal slur, what remark did you give your brother that lumped everywhere in lagos a slum?
Brother? Aren't you so presumptuous?

photoshoot:

And Mr. Expl.orer, the list been an international one doesn't mean it isn't wrong Sir, what would you say about Ilaje and shomolu? Even though the Ilaje is in shomolu? So much for an international list

Gala sellers abound in all cities in Nigeria, but they cause more nuisance in Lagos than all cities. You should know that. I created a thread on some of the nuisance they and other hawkers cause in lagos sometimes back. Check my topic history.
If you blame gala sellers for the slum in Lagos then I must say your position is naive, ill-thought out and very uninformed. Makoko is made of mainly foreigners from other west African countries who settled there but the government of Lagos should take the fall not the inhabitants. I know you're oblivious of this fact.

How many gala sellers are there in Lagos, a city of roughly 19/20 million people? that's roughly the entire population of Ghana (25m).

Gala sellers are responsible for slums? Who's then responsible for building those shanties and dingy shacks all over Makoko, ilaje and so?

Yes gala sellers bought the land and built those Woden structures all over those places.

Why are the gala sellers in Lagos so peculiar, seeing that they abound in port Harcourt, Onitsha, Kaduna and every other major city in Nigeria?

Why do you deny facts and truth. Channel your writing into solving the problems and take responsibility. Do not find blame. It is the easiest and least noble thing to do.

photoshoot:

Now back, to Mr Nairaland issue, I stated on the last day of the contest that about the tribal issue on here, it is all for fun to me. If you are going to remind me every time i go tribal that I contested for Mr Nairaland, I guess you better get prepared, it is a long journey.

there are over 6 billion humans on earth and everything you say about this country and her people here is open to all of humanity, now and forever. Saying it's a joke only heightens your insensitivity and irresponsibility.
And if you will keep vying for positions with this kind of unbridled comments and claim it's just for gag, then you have a long, winding path to travel.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. by Nobody: 4:49pm On Sep 10, 2016
EzeNri:

Then move your parasitic beggars back to your slums.

We don't do begging. We are too sophisticated for that. Those gala sellers are our equivalent of your beggars. Where we come from, we rather sell gala or packed waters than to beg. Atleast we are not parasitic. Show me 1 Igbo beggar and I'll show you 150 Afonja beggars and 155 Northern beggars.

I know you haven't gotten over the obvious. Lagos is a SLUM and their is not slum in SE. We have bad roads just like other regions, but we don't do slum like your wasted lands.

The Sun will always rise in the East and set in the West.
are u mentally unstable or u just felt like displaying some madness. 50% of all the slums I'm Lagos are places that Igbo people stay. 60% of southeast are villages why 39.5% of southeast are slums the remaining 0.5% are just town. there is no such thing call a city in the whole of Southeast. the pollution and dirty in southeast is next to none in the whole wide planet earth. but in the southwest the slums are mostly inhabited by igbos and other people with few Yoruba people and u can only find slums in 20% of Lagos and 6% of Ibadan after that there is no such thing as slum in the southwest 60% of southwest is industrial hub. with the massive infrastructural in the southwest and with the smart city that is been built now southwestern Nigeria alone would be a mighty economic giant on its own. the economy of the slums in Lagos ALONE is bigger than the total economy of the southeast put together. you should hide your head in shame
Re: AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. by Youngtrice(m): 5:35pm On Sep 10, 2016
I don't understand why Uniben hostel dinor make it to the list.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

The Moment A Container Truck Fell And Crushed An SUV (Disturbing Video) / Foreigners Sit On The Floor At The Airport In Lagos Due To Lack Of Seats / Man Who Left For Canada Calls His Friend And Was Weeping

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.