Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,113 members, 7,818,319 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:32 PM

Jonathan Budgeted Billions For Roads But Failed To Pay Contractors – Fashola - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Budgeted Billions For Roads But Failed To Pay Contractors – Fashola (20103 Views)

Kano Commissions Automated Street Sweeper For Roads In The State (Photos) / Obaseki’s Use Of Concrete Opens New Vista For Roads In Edo- Vanguard / I Budgeted N200 Billion For Roads Unlike Jonathan’s Paltry N18 Billion – Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Budgeted Billions For Roads But Failed To Pay Contractors – Fashola by maupe: 11:55pm On Jun 09, 2016
Contractors who executed federal government’s road projects over the past three years were not paid for their job, Babatunde Fashola, the Minister of Power, Works, and Housing, has said.
Speaking at the inaugural “Buharimeter” town hall meeting in Abuja, Thursday, Mr. Fashola said the contractors had, nonetheless, continued to work with the present administration based on their credibility.
“As far as my ministry is concerned, I think the best way to understand where we are is where we came from,” Mr. Fashola said at the meeting organized by the Centre for Democracy and Development.
“If you look at the budget of the country from 2007, a country that was making a minimum of $100 per barrel for almost a decade, we shouldn’t be here. But the reality is that in 2007 we spent only N41 billion on roads in Nigeria. The highest we spent between 2007 and 2015 was in 2009 when we spent N195 billion on roads.
“After that the figures started declining, and the last three years are significant, today I mentioned where we are, we spent N65 billion on roads, I think Lagos state government alone spent as much if not more on roads.
“In 2014, we spent N45 billion on roads, for the whole country. And we spent N18 billion on roads in 2015.
“Now the fallout of meetings with our contractors, generally, is that they have not been paid for three years. But budgets have been made for the last three years.”
Mr. Fashola said despite non-payment of the contractors, work would soon begin on the Jebba-Ilorin road as well as the Lagos-Ibadan expressway.
“The Jebba-Ilorin road is a very significant road,” he said.
“If you haven’t passed through it, perhaps you will not understand how significant it is for the prosperity of Nigeria, because that is where farmers mainly move their trucks and their goods, their vegetables, their cattle through. And that is where fuel comes through from the tank farms in Lagos to many parts of the north of Nigeria.
“That road used to take four days simply because a section of barely about 100 kilometres was unmotorable. The trucks used to turn.
“Now on the basis of just our credibility, that I stuck my neck out and I told the contractor ‘please go back to this site. Go and work.’ We have stabilized that road. We haven’t finished repairing it but we have stabilized it, that section is now motorable and provision is now made for some parts of it in this year’s budget.
“Now compare this with a government that was in power, budgeted for that road, and did not even release the money.
“This is what has happened in our meetings with our contractors, just on the basis of our credibility, our collective integrity, saying to them ‘go back to site.’
“Our contractors will go back to site on Monday next week, they told me, for the Lagos-Ibadan expressway. They haven’t been paid. But that is what ‘change’ is, that this government is credible and believable. If we say we will pay, we will pay,” Mr. Fashola said.
Four other ministers, including Lai Mohammed (Information and Culture), Udo Udoma (Budget and National Planning), Amina Mohammed (Environment), and Audu Ogbeh (Agriculture and Rural Development), also participated in the town hall meeting.
Mr. Ogbeh said some states had donated land for cattle grazing, adding that the herdsmen crisis would soon end.
The minister also said the government was working on improving farmers’ access to credits.
“We have no access for credit for farmers,” Mr. Ogbeh said.
“We are about to restructure the Bank of Agriculture and we want farmers to be the biggest shareholders so we can actually lend to farmers. Our target is five percent on Agriculture.
“No other country that wants to develop agriculture is lending money to farmers at 18 – 25 percent. That figure may be wonderful for growing cocaine, but certainly not for rice and beans and sugar.”
He urged the youth to engage in agriculture as a way of reducing the rising unemployment.

“Young people, please, we shall be holding an evening with the minister shortly, think of doing something in Agriculture,” he said.
“Even if you are based in the city, go home and start a plantation. I started one many years ago and now I’m a cashew farmer with 14,000 trees in the village. So come around let’s talk about this. You have to feed yourselves.”

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/205035-jonathan-govt-budgeted-billions-roads-3-years-failed-pay-contractors-fashola.html

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Jonathan Budgeted Billions For Roads But Failed To Pay Contractors – Fashola by Harkindeylee(m): 11:59pm On Jun 09, 2016
Hmmmmmm.. Wetin iono go hear from this govt.

44 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Budgeted Billions For Roads But Failed To Pay Contractors – Fashola by commytosy(f): 12:18am On Jun 10, 2016
blame game cont. therisGodoh

91 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Jonathan Budgeted Billions For Roads But Failed To Pay Contractors – Fashola by buhahaha: 12:18am On Jun 10, 2016
Why r u covering ur own failud on electricity..

89 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Budgeted Billions For Roads But Failed To Pay Contractors – Fashola by Jengem: 12:19am On Jun 10, 2016
this rocket scientist idio.t

fashole

97 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jonathan Budgeted Billions For Roads But Failed To Pay Contractors – Fashola by Rikidony(m): 12:38am On Jun 10, 2016
may PDP never rule us again.
such an havoc for a nation

56 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jonathan Budgeted Billions For Roads But Failed To Pay Contractors – Fashola by tomakint: 12:41am On Jun 10, 2016
This man (Mr Inaugural Lecturer) should check in to a Rehab before things go out of hand, for Christ sake he is Minister for Power, Works and Housing......what the hell is he talking about? Roads? shocked shocked

Power=2,858 megawatt (not impressive for now);
Works=Construction of roads and others are still below par and;
Housing=Many Nigerians are still homeless despite working;

Summarily, Fashola should leave Jonathan alone and concentrate on how to make good use of the over N400 billion voted into his 3 Ministries to better the lots of Nigerians! Kai this man can talk.....3 more years loading!

126 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Jonathan Budgeted Billions For Roads But Failed To Pay Contractors – Fashola by ridwanayo(m): 12:48am On Jun 10, 2016
Is this man minister of transportation when did he nd amaechi switch ministry,he should keep talking meanwhile just one kilometre he has nt add nigeria road.this man his full of mouth no action.everytime gej gej nd gej what about obj,yaradua nd our past military rulers,did nigeria receive independent last 6years.its getting boring bother rocket or shey na helicopter scientist,do ur work

62 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Budgeted Billions For Roads But Failed To Pay Contractors – Fashola by Standing5(m): 12:59am On Jun 10, 2016
Wailer Nightmare is back.
The IB could have saved himself so much trouble by being less fixated on the 2015 election.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Budgeted Billions For Roads But Failed To Pay Contractors – Fashola by Nobody: 1:07am On Jun 10, 2016
It's painful on the level of revealing fact we continue to see each day. From all indication, the minister's under Jonathan failed on the level of efficiency, but I do not know if they perform in the area of effectiveness.
The blame from the present administration will surely expected from any past government owing to the fact that they are willing to buy the emotions of the masses to their train. I do know there was no level of accountability under the past administration, but I just hope this present government will clear the doubts of the masses.
#Ijusthope.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jonathan Budgeted Billions For Roads But Failed To Pay Contractors – Fashola by Nobody: 1:07am On Jun 10, 2016
How can contractors work for three years without being paid? They must be very charitable to have done so....Jonathan has really been dealt many punches of blames, but this one is certainly a weak one.

141 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Jonathan Budgeted Billions For Roads But Failed To Pay Contractors – Fashola by bigtt76(f): 1:10am On Jun 10, 2016
Jonathan this Jonathan that..... enough of all this and face your work. In as much as we all don't like Jonathan, it doesn't mean we should not live our lives naaaaaa. Your government has done it's own budget Oya pay new contractors naaaa #ewu

49 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jonathan Budgeted Billions For Roads But Failed To Pay Contractors – Fashola by aminho(m): 1:14am On Jun 10, 2016
ridwanayo:
Is this man minister of transportation when did he nd amaechi switch ministry,he should keep talking meanwhile just one kilometre he has nt add nigeria road.this man his full of mouth no action.everytime gej gej nd gej what about obj,yaradua nd our past military rulers,did nigeria receive independent last 6years.its getting boring bother rocket or shey na helicopter scientist,do ur work
mr Dullard Roads are under ministry of works

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Budgeted Billions For Roads But Failed To Pay Contractors – Fashola by ridwanayo(m): 1:21am On Jun 10, 2016
aminho:
mr zombie can u tell me his achievement in any of his ministry so far,I hate when zombies quote me please don't quote me again

80 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Jonathan Budgeted Billions For Roads But Failed To Pay Contractors – Fashola by Nobody: 1:23am On Jun 10, 2016
aminho:

gringrin

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan Budgeted Billions For Roads But Failed To Pay Contractors – Fashola by obailala(m): 1:34am On Jun 10, 2016
It's a lie! It cant be true.... after all somebody said fashola said that GEJ built 25000km of roads in 5 years; and jonathanian zombies have been masturbating over that fable for as long as I can remember even though none of them can actually point out where these so called 25000km of roads are.

8 Likes

Re: Jonathan Budgeted Billions For Roads But Failed To Pay Contractors – Fashola by abujaArchitect(m): 1:42am On Jun 10, 2016
So... In this Nigeria where we all live, you expect me to believe that a contractor will continue working for 3yrs without getting paid... Is the name of the construction company Mother Teresa nig Ltd?? In this day and age where contractors have more lawyers than labourers!

As Minister of power, works and housing Fashola should not be telling us about bank of agriculture, in fact this government and their tomato incompetence should not be bragging about agriculture, the last Minister of agriculture already set the bar too high for them.

I voted 4 Change. ... I have lost faith in change.. . 1 year is gone let them focus on improving the current plight of Nigerians instead of trying to divide this country.

Statements like this only divides Nigerians into supporters of Buhari vs supporters of GEJ.. .. No matter how many times they highlight gej's failures it will not improve our current economic problems.

As at last year December I used to believe they can bring all these looters to justice but the EFCC unhealthy fixation on only the campaign funds and it's inability to get a single conviction despite overwhelming evidence has made me loose all hope.

Buhari, Tinubu, Fashola, Lai Moh'd u guys should please focus on the present GEJ is receiving international acclaim for his work in this country would you all be so recognized at the end of your tenure?!

89 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Jonathan Budgeted Billions For Roads But Failed To Pay Contractors – Fashola by aminho(m): 1:49am On Jun 10, 2016
ridwanayo:
mr zombie can u tell me his achievement in any of his ministry so far,I hate when zombies quote me please don't quote me again
mr illiterate i just schooled u about what he represents just accept a correction and move on dont quote me am going to work now

8 Likes

Re: Jonathan Budgeted Billions For Roads But Failed To Pay Contractors – Fashola by Jengem: 2:05am On Jun 10, 2016
obailala:
It's a lie! It cant be true.... after all somebody said fashola said that GEJ built 25000km of roads in 5 years; and jonathanian zombies have been masturbating over that fable for as long as I can remember even though none of them can actually point out where these so called 25000km of roads are.

the roads are in asiwaju penthouse at Oriental

use your brain and dont be zombying about like a lackey...ahbeg

name one pothole the Federal Government has filled in since bubu entered office?

40 Likes

Re: Jonathan Budgeted Billions For Roads But Failed To Pay Contractors – Fashola by gunuvi(m): 4:38am On Jun 10, 2016
Useless sets of clowns. Continue blaming Jonathan till 2019. Fools, Mr rocket scientist

30 Likes

Re: Jonathan Budgeted Billions For Roads But Failed To Pay Contractors – Fashola by Abeymills(m): 5:39am On Jun 10, 2016
N d blame game continues wat a shame of a failed govt bunch of incompetent ministers n dullard clueless president yeye govt

17 Likes

Re: Jonathan Budgeted Billions For Roads But Failed To Pay Contractors – Fashola by Bethelwealthy(m): 6:07am On Jun 10, 2016
..........is that why u never built a single road? still waiting for Jonathan to come help you build?? ....Idiotic govt and ministers.

22 Likes

Re: Jonathan Budgeted Billions For Roads But Failed To Pay Contractors – Fashola by proeast(m): 6:21am On Jun 10, 2016
This minister of darkness is still blaming the past government for his incompetence??

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Budgeted Billions For Roads But Failed To Pay Contractors – Fashola by Nobody: 6:24am On Jun 10, 2016
Shut up and do your work!!!! angry angry angry angry angry angry.....You never start anything but you abandon your work to dey gossip about someone whose records speak for him angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry How many roads has your boss constructedmmmmmshmmmmm angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

22 Likes

Re: Jonathan Budgeted Billions For Roads But Failed To Pay Contractors – Fashola by Firefire(m): 6:31am On Jun 10, 2016
gunuvi:
Useless sets of clowns. Continue blaming Jonathan till 2019. Fools, Mr rocket scientist

APC ?

8 Likes

Re: Jonathan Budgeted Billions For Roads But Failed To Pay Contractors – Fashola by amazon14: 6:34am On Jun 10, 2016
What did you do with 5000 thousand mega watts you inherited from Gej? you ran it to zero.pleeease fashola give US light. Enough of you nonsense

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jonathan Budgeted Billions For Roads But Failed To Pay Contractors – Fashola by Mboi2: 6:37am On Jun 10, 2016
So this man has the guts to still talk? Fashola is a complete failure. Keep blaming, don't do your work.

19 Likes

Re: Jonathan Budgeted Billions For Roads But Failed To Pay Contractors – Fashola by dechriscool(m): 6:38am On Jun 10, 2016
Hmmm,Jonathan didn't pay contractors for past 3 years and contractors still mobilised to work site to give the federal roads face lift,Which you confessed to.Last year budget for roads was #18 billion as alleged by you.This budget was signed into law by April and Jonathan left office by May.What happened to the #18 billion since contractors where not paid and no road had being built by the present adminstraction.Buharimeter of corruption.
Mr.Fashola stop insulting the intelligence of Nigerians and hit the ground running.One year is gone and nothing to show except monumental collapse in the system.

30 Likes

Re: Jonathan Budgeted Billions For Roads But Failed To Pay Contractors – Fashola by mej67: 6:43am On Jun 10, 2016
Rikidony:
may PDP never rule us again.

such an havoc for a nation

It's not havoc.

It is creative project financing. Simply, it is credit financing or contractor financing.

The much needed roads were given to Nigerians by contractor financing instead of waiting till people die on the bad roads.

Fashola should rather emulate the model instead of wailing

11 Likes

Re: Jonathan Budgeted Billions For Roads But Failed To Pay Contractors – Fashola by OrlandoOwoh(m): 6:43am On Jun 10, 2016
ridwanayo:
You expect what GEJ could not do for years to be done in months? How do some of think?

5 Likes

Re: Jonathan Budgeted Billions For Roads But Failed To Pay Contractors – Fashola by DaBullIT(m): 6:54am On Jun 10, 2016
Some goats will still come here to say Fasola is saying trash

And as usual they will defend the most clueless president Nigeria ever had

If Fasola has not done any works you can see at the federal level,

Lagos is a testimony , So if you could just apply your senses ,

You would know Fashola has done his homework

And if Fashola has not done any works you can see and appreciate

It's probably because contractors who are in debt with banks refuse to work with new administration until outstanding is paid

And the few others who are saying nonsense about Contrators working for charity , You apparently do not understand types of contract

6 Likes

Re: Jonathan Budgeted Billions For Roads But Failed To Pay Contractors – Fashola by oloriooko(m): 6:56am On Jun 10, 2016
Fashola should give us facts and figures not this trashy blanket statements. He is a lawyer, he knows the importance of facts, so he should shut the fvck up or be smart whenever he opens the mouth.
GEJ failed to deliver as the presi, this we know angry

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Abdulmumin Jibrin Shares Photo With His Daughter / Fulani Herdsmen From Chad, Niger To Benefit From Fg’s Livestock Plan / BBC Laments Over Nigeria's Fuel Scarcity As #End fuel crisisnow Trends

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.