Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,271 members, 7,954,055 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 11:34 AM

Do Not Infringe On My Right To Smoke! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do Not Infringe On My Right To Smoke! (909 Views)

5 Areas EL-RUFAI BILL Infringe On Christians Doctrines / Revealed: Nigeria Votes Alongside Iran And Northkorea To Infringe On Human Right / I Won’t Infringe On My Deputy’s Rights -aliyu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Not Infringe On My Right To Smoke! by bibiking1(m): 8:01am On Aug 28, 2009
Cigarettes: Ban production not smoking
By Ahmed Raji

MOST people detest smoking. Even the "Turkish" smoker knows that it is not a healthy habit. That smoking poses a grave health hazard to both the actual and passive smokers is beyond argument. And what is more, nobody has been able to identify any benefit derivable from smoking.

Even medically, some say a daily glass of beer is good for the system. They say it clears the bowel. Nothing good is attributable to smoking. I challenge anyone to come up with any benefit derivable from smoking. The entire world over, it is being recommended that all cigarette packets should carry the warning: "Smoking is dangerous to health". Of late, other measures are being rolled out to discourage smoking. Some accounts have it that the death of over 20 million people yearly is traceable to smoking. In Turkey, which is the home of smoking, smoking is about to be banned in almost every public area.

In most parts of the Western world, smoking is not allowed in "public places". Anti-smoking law is about to be rolled out in Abuja and some other parts of Nigeria. But do all these measures constitute any enough deterrence to smoking considering the gravity of damage it does to humanity? I think not. All these prohibitions have not affected the cigarette market in any major way. People still smoke their lives away. It needs not be repeated, the nexus between cigarette smoking and hard drugs like cocaine, cannabis, heroine etc.

A once and for all pragmatic solution will be to outlaw the production of the product in all forms. And that will amount to tackling the problem from root rather than attending to the effect. A grace period of not more than 12 months should be given to all producers of cigarettes to wind down while a comprehensive diversification scheme should be put in place to switch them over to other lines of business. Our pharmacologists and social scientists should be tasked on how to carry out the required therapy on chronic smokers and addicts. It will not be a misstatement to contend that the proposed diversification exercise programme will not cost the world up to five per cent of what the Iraqi war consumed.

Banning the smoking of cigarette while production of cigarette is allowed looks like "a collective mockery of our collective intelligence". The world should rise up to the challenge. Banning the production may also assist in the war against global warming. Nigeria can show example by outlawing all forms of cigarette making in Nigeria and also banning importation and smoking of same. Even the World Trade Organisation (W.T.O.) won't dare complain if we close our borders to cigarette.

And I take this opportunity to appeal to our "smoking leaders" to see this as a sacrifice for the greater good of all. It is a fact that smoking is not an easy habit to quit. But with determination, it is achievable just as this writer took his last stick in 2006.

Notwithstanding doubts as to the sustainability of some of the recent law suits in Nigeria against the major cigarette producers, we must commend the ingenuity of both the plaintiffs and their counsel. Their efforts have further confirmed the menace which production of cigarettes constitutes to our healthy living. Even non-smokers face the danger of passive smoking.

Distinguished senators and very honourable members of the house, the health of the nation is in your hands. If only you can pass a bill banning production of cigarette and allied products Nigerians and the world will forever remember you. You should resist the professional lobbyists with deep pockets who may not be bothered by the death of fellow human beings. Save life please. Initiate the bill today and pass it with the same dispatch with which the Senate passed the 2009 appropriation bill.

Smoking can be a terrible addiction. There is this good but nasty friend of mine who promised his wife that when their first child was "delivered" he would quit smoking. When reminded of his solemn promise after the arrival of the first child, my friend told the wife that he did not "deliver" a baby as a man cannot so do hence he has continued to smoke his Benson & Hedges in spite of all appeals. Despite his blood pressure problem, my friend is yet to quit up till this moment. And his health suffers! Production of cigarette must be outlawed to save the life of millions in my friend's shoes.

I took this excerpt from The Guardian of Today August 28, 2009.
It is one of the most constitutionally obscene articles i have had to read in recent times. This fellow obviosly is ignorant of the gains nicotine production has had on the world's economy.
I would not rant about my personal pleasures from nicotine consumption, but this fellow that dropped his "last stick" three years ago is barking down the wrong tree.
IT IS MY FUNDAMENTAL HUMAN RIGHT TO SMOKE FREELY, of course banning it from being used in public places is in order, but not stopping the production.
Re: Do Not Infringe On My Right To Smoke! by Jakumo(m): 8:58am On Aug 28, 2009
Banning or taxing any consumable product will only increase its street value as profiteers, smugglers and bootleggers factor in their surcharge to cover the added expense of evading or bribing law enforcement officers.

While criminalization of tobacco and alcohol would be a good thing from the standpoint of improving the physical health a population thus restricted, the lives so lengthened would ironically be endangered by the inevitable crime wave associated with bypassing prohibition law enactments.

That aside I have often wondered, as I note the way cigarette smokers reach for their packet to pollute the air at the slightest sign of tension in their daily lives, whether they realize how hopeless those cigarettes would render them, if they ever did have to sprint away from real danger.
Re: Do Not Infringe On My Right To Smoke! by ndomadu: 10:26am On Aug 28, 2009
tell that fellow that smoking aids digestion!Don't infringe on my right to smoke
Re: Do Not Infringe On My Right To Smoke! by ayobase(m): 3:08pm On Aug 28, 2009
thats cool. lets get the
opinions of nairalanders here.

God Bless Nigeria.
Re: Do Not Infringe On My Right To Smoke! by Ibime(m): 3:30pm On Aug 28, 2009
Anyone living in Nigeria smokes the equivalent of 20 cigarrettes-a-day courtesy of exhaust fumes from cars and lorries; so whats the point of banning smoking in Nigeria?

In better countries, there are little or no fumes given off by car exhausts due to the type of cars and the fact almost all of em use unleaded petrol. These are the countries who have earned a right to ban smoking, not Naija.
Re: Do Not Infringe On My Right To Smoke! by bibiking1(m): 4:39pm On Aug 28, 2009
Jakumo:

Banning or taxing any consumable product will only increase its street value as profiteers, smugglers and bootleggers factor in their surcharge to cover the added expense of evading or bribing law enforcement officers.

While criminalization of tobacco and alcohol would be a good thing from the standpoint of improving the physical health a population thus restricted, the lives so lengthened would ironically be endangered by the inevitable crime wave associated with bypassing prohibition law enactments.

That aside I have often wondered, as I note the way cigarette smokers reach for their packet to pollute the air at the slightest sign of tension in their daily lives, whether they realize how hopeless those cigarettes would render them, if they ever did have to sprint away from real danger.

This is "Doublespeak" if am am to borrow the thought of Eric Blair!
Can you imagine people living in Lagis when they know the fumes from the "molues" will eventually kill them? or people eating canned foods when they know cancer would eventually be their parting lot
Re: Do Not Infringe On My Right To Smoke! by Nobody: 4:42pm On Aug 28, 2009
Ibime:

Anyone living in Nigeria smokes the equivalent of 20 cigarrettes-a-day courtesy of exhaust fumes from cars and lorries; so whats the point of banning smoking in Nigeria?

In better countries, there are little or no fumes given off by car exhausts due to the type of cars and the fact almost all of em use unleaded petrol. These are the countries who have earned a right to ban smoking, not Naija.

this is one of the most retarded posts I've ever read.
Re: Do Not Infringe On My Right To Smoke! by blacksta(m): 5:00pm On Aug 28, 2009
tpia.:

it is true. A visit to Nigeria will confirm this - Fumes from Generators and Molue buses.

The Country is freaking polluted. I doubt cigarette smoke will make any difference.
Re: Do Not Infringe On My Right To Smoke! by Kobojunkie: 5:14pm On Aug 28, 2009
BAN BAN BAN!!!! That seems a hobby in that country!
Re: Do Not Infringe On My Right To Smoke! by Nobody: 5:20pm On Aug 28, 2009
blacksta:

it is true. A visit to Nigeria will confirm this - Fumes from Generators and Molue buses.

The Country is freaking polluted. I doubt cigarette smoke will make any difference.

Nigeria is still a mostly rural country.

Exhaust pollution in some areas (mainly the larger towns and cities) doesnt mean the entire region is that way.
Re: Do Not Infringe On My Right To Smoke! by bibiking1(m): 5:46pm On Aug 28, 2009
tpia.:

Nigeria is still a mostly rural country.

Exhaust pollution in some areas (mainly the larger towns and cities) doesnt mean the entire region is that way.
Obviously you haven't left your "village" in a long time!,,,,,,,Dude, the country is running on black smoke!
Re: Do Not Infringe On My Right To Smoke! by Nobody: 5:54pm On Aug 28, 2009
bibiking1:

Obviously you haven't left your "village" in a long time!,,,,,,,Dude, the country is running on black smoke!

can you stop this irritating lying.

How many places can be considered "developed" or "urbanized" in Nigeria with the accompanying smog? Count them on the fingers of your hand. And name anywhere outside of Lagos and a few other places.

You must be smoking exhaust fumes!

If its even the Niger delta gas flaring being discussed here you'd have a point!
Re: Do Not Infringe On My Right To Smoke! by Beaf: 6:09pm On Aug 28, 2009
Smoking is the least of our problems as far as pollution is concerned.

Nigeria's pollution from gas flaring alone is greater than that of all of sub-saharan Africa combined shocked (including Angola which produces more oil than us). Whole cities sometimes have a sulphurous smell.

Factory effluents are pumped straight into open gutters especially in places like Ilupeju in Lagos; I am not sure about the present times, but in the past, open sewers ran with brightly coloured liquids. We don't know whats coming out of the boreholes in our backyards. I am not sure of what goes on in heavily industrialised cities like Aba in the East.

There is no control over the emmissions from vehicle exhausts, especially deisel engines, talkless of the open burnfires on mountains of city waste. . . It goes on and on.
Re: Do Not Infringe On My Right To Smoke! by Nobody: 6:13pm On Aug 28, 2009
Amongst other things I HATE are smokers.

If y'all wanna smoke, don't be coming to my face to puff it. That's the nastiest habit ppl need to stop doing.

If y'all want to smoke, go inside your own lil space, and smoke yourself away.

Don't infringe my own right by endangering my health, passively. Passive smoking is much more dangerous than direct smoking itself.

Bunch of stank ppl
Re: Do Not Infringe On My Right To Smoke! by Ibime(m): 6:18pm On Aug 28, 2009
tpia.:

I wonder what difference the 1cm cubed per minute inhalation of second-hand cigarrette smoke makes to the 1000 cm cubed inhallation per minute consumed from Molue, Danfo and Trailer exhaust pipes, talkless of open incineration of refuse dumps.

Naija should face better things jare!

As for rural areas being clean, a visit to the Niger Delta would convince you otherwise. I am sure nuccas in the Niger Delta inhale more CO2 than nuccas in the city sef. I should know as my house is directly opposite Eleme refinery. On top of all the gas flaring from the refinery itself, my lungs are filled with the smoke from all the trailers coming to refill with petrol. Which kain rural area be dat?
Re: Do Not Infringe On My Right To Smoke! by bibiking1(m): 6:23pm On Aug 28, 2009
tpia.:

can you stop this irritating lying.

How many places can be considered "developed" or "urbanized" in Nigeria with the accompanying smog? Count them on the fingers of your hand. And name anywhere outside of Lagos and a few other places.

You must be smoking exhaust fumes!

If its even the Niger delta gas flaring being discussed here you'd have a point!

I stay in Warri now, and when it rains the cars get dirty with smug!, I guess its my smoke that caused right

FL Gators:

If y'all wanna smoke, don't be coming to my face to puff it. That's the nastiest habit ppl need to stop doing.

Don't infringe my own right by endangering my health, passively. Passive smoking is much more dangerous than direct smoking itself.

Bunch of stank ppl
Meanwhile, FLGator or whatever reptile name you have chosen to give yourself, you don't seem to understand the picture here. I would love to smoke in my "own little space", but they want to stop the production of cigarette altogether. so that means even when i am not in my little space i'll have nothing to smoke!!!!
Re: Do Not Infringe On My Right To Smoke! by JosBoy4Lif(m): 6:29pm On Aug 28, 2009
I have to agree with Tpia on this one.
Everyone knows that the most developed countries tend to be the largest polluters. After China, the United states is second in CO2 emissions.
Poorer countries are at the bottom of the list in terms of pollution.

Nigeria accounts for a paltry 0.3% of all Carbon dioxide emissions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_carbon_dioxide_emissions
Re: Do Not Infringe On My Right To Smoke! by Beaf: 6:34pm On Aug 28, 2009
FL Gators:

Bunch of stank ppl

There's a point there. Those who smoke have a duty to respect others.

The govt should also discourage smoking, not because of pollution; but because it cares and places value in the health and well being of each and every one of the citizens. A healthy population is more productive.
Re: Do Not Infringe On My Right To Smoke! by JosBoy4Lif(m): 6:40pm On Aug 28, 2009
Beaf:

The govt should also discourage smoking, not because of pollution; but because it cares and places value in the health and well being of each and every one of the citizens. [b]A healthy population [/b]is more productive.

pretty much an oxymoron statement there.
Re: Do Not Infringe On My Right To Smoke! by Jakumo(m): 6:48pm On Aug 28, 2009
bibiking1:

I would love to smoke in my "own little space", but they want to stop the production of cigarette altogether. so that means even when i am not in my little space i'll have nothing to smoke!!!!

Try smoking banana leaves, lawn trimmings or other local herbs, until the tobacco prohibition era passes, after which you may well decide to stay with those new alternatives that you discovered out of necessity.
Re: Do Not Infringe On My Right To Smoke! by ifele(m): 2:04am On Aug 29, 2009
SMOKING IS SUICIDE. ENJOY NOW SUFFER LATER.

MARIJUANA AND TOBACCO CONTAING SO MUCH TAR AFTER BURNING IT BLACKENS THE LUNGS AND CRIPPLES THE

USERS.
Re: Do Not Infringe On My Right To Smoke! by frag(m): 2:10am On Aug 29, 2009
tpia.:

Lolololololololololo grin grin grin
Re: Do Not Infringe On My Right To Smoke! by bibiking1(m): 3:01pm On Aug 29, 2009
Jakumo:

Try smoking banana leaves, lawn trimmings or other local herbs, until the tobacco prohibition era passes, after which you may well decide to stay with those new alternatives that you discovered out of necessity.

You have a problem with the smoker right?
Re: Do Not Infringe On My Right To Smoke! by ndomadu: 5:41pm On Aug 29, 2009
@ kobojunkie,
did i hear you say THAT country?, Hmm
Re: Do Not Infringe On My Right To Smoke! by bawomolo(m): 6:11pm On Aug 29, 2009
You can ban smoking in public places but that's the farthest the government can go.

If someone wants to burn their lungs, let them go ahead. Their taxes are used to fill budget deficits anyway.
Re: Do Not Infringe On My Right To Smoke! by Kobojunkie: 6:54pm On Aug 29, 2009
ndomadu:

@ kobojunkie,
did i hear you say THAT country?, Hmm

Yes, I am not in Nigeria.
Re: Do Not Infringe On My Right To Smoke! by DeepSoul(f): 9:06pm On Aug 29, 2009
1) Ban Production

2) Build psychiatric hospitals to admit smokers into

3) Give out scholarships in Psychiatry and Psychology to interested candidates.

Smoking is just plain sick. I still havent been able to get a hang of it.

Ban the freaking thing and any1 caught with "contraband" shd b sent to jail.

I was indifferent about smokers and smoking. That was before I fell in love with a smoker. And that was b4 my best frnd started smoking sad
Re: Do Not Infringe On My Right To Smoke! by DeepSight(m): 8:56pm On Sep 01, 2009
Deep Soul:

1) Ban Production

2) Build psychiatric hospitals to admit smokers into

3) Give out scholarships in Psychiatry and Psychology to interested candidates.

Smoking is just plain sick. I still havent been able to get a hang of it.

Ban the freaking thing and any1 caught with "contraband" shd b sent to jail.

I was indifferent about smokers and smoking. That was before I fell in love with a smoker. And that was b4 my best frnd started smoking  sad

Easy now, why so judgmental, you cant be Mother Theresa you know. People are different. To each his own.
Re: Do Not Infringe On My Right To Smoke! by Nobody: 11:33pm On Sep 01, 2009
bibiking1:

Meanwhile, FLGator or whatever reptile name you have chosen to give yourself, you don't seem to understand the picture here. I would love to smoke in my "own little space", but they want to stop the production of cigarette altogether. so that means even when i am not in my little space i'll have nothing to smoke!!!!
Dude, I couldn't care less if you're smoking and wasting yourself away. If you're going to smoke, courtesy begs you to respect non-smokers' wish to stay away from carbon-monoxide as much as possible.

They want to stop the production of cigarette? In what country? Even non-smokers knowz that that's impossible , that will be detrimental to the economy.

Jakumo:

rotflmao grin grin

Beaf:

The govt should also discourage smoking, not because of pollution; but because it cares and places value in the health and well being of each and every one of the citizens. A healthy population is more productive.
LOL, how much can the govt do? Have ppl not been educated enough? Posters, pictures, lectures, etc. . . .

Discouragement is the furthest the GOVT can do, they can't ban cigarette production lol (sadly)
Re: Do Not Infringe On My Right To Smoke! by Hauwa1: 1:56am On Sep 02, 2009
Smokers should be taxed, just like a normal country would do. ask American smokers whatsup abt tax, and tax payers pay for clean air, so i heard! they do clean the air in developed countries. Nigerians stop complaining!

(1) (Reply)

As Gani Goes Home :the Gani The Binis Remember / Uniben Students Barricades Lagos-benin Express Way For Over 4 Hours / Shame! Bode George Likely Out Soon.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.