Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,542 members, 7,958,672 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 08:13 PM

Post Match Analysis ; Manchester United Versus Benfica - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Post Match Analysis ; Manchester United Versus Benfica (4670 Views)

Liverpool Vs Benfica UCL (3 - 3) On 13th April 2022 / Benfica Vs Liverpool (1 - 3) On 5th April 2022 / Manchester United Vs Benfica : UCL (2 - 0) On 31st October 2017 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Post Match Analysis ; Manchester United Versus Benfica by Proudlyngwa(m): 2:39pm On Nov 01, 2017
Team selection

The United team selection started with Mourinho's Christmas tree formation. It gradually morphed into a 4-5-1 formation with McTominay and Matic acting as combatative Midfielders with Lingard acting in the free role and creativity was from the flanks from Mata and Martial.

It was more of a flat back four, as there was not much wing support from the full backs for most of the match.

Formation Analysis.
Against Oppositions like Benfica at home Man Utd has no business playing a holding midfielder, not to talk of two.

Matic has the Capacity to go Box to Box, and that is exactly the role he should have played yesterday.

Mykhitaryan should have started in place of Lingard as he is more creative.

Martial was used as a left wing forward, which does not work with such formation, since he is not naturally good in crossing or excellent in passing. While he has close ball control, by the time he could get to a shooting position or close to a team mate he was usually crowded out.

Mata still had the same problem with martial, Far out wide and no speed. He would have been better positioned closer to Lukaku.

Ashley Young should have been in place of McTominay to deliver the needed crosses.

Re: Post Match Analysis ; Manchester United Versus Benfica by Proudlyngwa(m): 2:41pm On Nov 01, 2017
match proper

In the first Half, Matic had to be on top of his game, as the Numerical Advantage of Beneficial overwhelmed Uniteds Midfield, while United tried to Out flank Benefica without Much Success as there was not much support from the full backs.
The attacking midfield responsibility of Lingard was nonexistent as he was not suited for such position.

The distance between Lukaku and his colleagues was rather wide in the first half.

A change in Personnel and Game plan saw United turn to a more attacking formation with the trio of Mykhitaryan Martial and Mata coming closer to play as attacking Midfielders rather than wing Forwards.

Cc Kyase AndrewFarms aieromon seunny4lif

1 Like

Re: Post Match Analysis ; Manchester United Versus Benfica by Proudlyngwa(m): 2:55pm On Nov 01, 2017
substitutions

The Introduction of Mykhitaryan added a spark to the game, Herrera added stability and Rashford added Urgency.

Although I would have loved to see Luke Shaw, given some game time. I still think, the substitutions were good enough and brought in Positive impact.

Man of the match.

Despite his penalty miss, and wayward passing, Tony Martial was the only one making the game exciting.

Re: Post Match Analysis ; Manchester United Versus Benfica by Kyase(m): 9:48pm On Nov 01, 2017
Proudlyngwa:
Team selection

The United team selection started with Mourinho's Christmas tree formation. It gradually morphed into a 4-5-1 formation with McTominay and Matic acting as combatative Midfielders with Lingard acting in the free role and creativity was from the flanks from Mata and Martial.

It was more of a flat back four, as there was not much wing support from the full backs for most of the match.

Formation Analysis.
Against Oppositions like Benfica at home Man Utd has no business playing a holding midfielder, not to talk of two.

Matic has the Capacity to go Box to Box, and that is exactly the role he should have played yesterday.

Mykhitaryan should have started in place of Lingard as he is more creative.

Martial was used as a left wing forward, which does not work with such formation, since he is not naturally good in crossing or excellent in passing. While he has close ball control, by the time he could get to a shooting position or close to a team mate he was usually crowded out.

Mata still had the same problem with martial, Far out wide and no speed. He would have been better positioned closer to Lukaku.

Ashley Young should have been in place of McTominay to deliver the needed crosses.

All Mou did was to rest some key players for the game against Chelsea, well the most important thing was the 3 points.
Re: Post Match Analysis ; Manchester United Versus Benfica by Kyase(m): 9:50pm On Nov 01, 2017
Proudlyngwa:
substitutions

The Introduction of Mykhitaryan added a spark to the game, Herrera added stability and Rashford added Urgency.

Although I would have loved to see Luke Shaw, given some game time. I still think, the substitutions were good enough and brought in Positive impact.

Man of the match.

Despite his penalty miss, and wayward passing, Tony Martial was the only one making the game exciting.
Same here, but His time will come
Re: Post Match Analysis ; Manchester United Versus Benfica by Kyase(m): 9:53pm On Nov 01, 2017
Cc Bibidear, andrewsfarm, bettecreature come and contribute
Re: Post Match Analysis ; Manchester United Versus Benfica by Proudlyngwa(m): 9:56pm On Nov 01, 2017
Kyase:
All Mou did was to rest some key players for the game against Chelsea, well the most important thing was the 3 points.

One match at a time bro.
Confidence is built by winning and building a winning mentality.

I had expected us to use this match as a training for the Chelsea match.

Honestly we need to ditch this 4-2-3-1 style of play, if we are not going to use attacking Midfielders in the - 3-

He ended up using some of the key players.
Re: Post Match Analysis ; Manchester United Versus Benfica by Bibidear(f): 9:57pm On Nov 01, 2017
Well i think the team selection is ok,the three points was d most important even tho they played bad......they should focus on chelsea's game and get the whole 3points....hope mourinho wont pack d bus
Re: Post Match Analysis ; Manchester United Versus Benfica by Proudlyngwa(m): 9:58pm On Nov 01, 2017
Kyase:
Same here, but His time will come
Hope he will not be thrown into a game that will zap his confidence.
He needs gradual introduction to boost his moral and that should be soon, he is seeing any hope for the world cup participation gradually fading.
Re: Post Match Analysis ; Manchester United Versus Benfica by Kyase(m): 10:02pm On Nov 01, 2017
Proudlyngwa:

One match at a time bro.
Confidence is built by winning and building a winning mentality.

I had expected us to use this match as a training for the Chelsea match.

Honestly we need to ditch this 4-2-3-1 style of play, if we are not going to use attacking Midfielders in the - 3-

He ended up using some of the key players.
Yes, but we need to be fresh for the chelsea game, if we want to beat them, that been said, we are going to win come sunday.
Re: Post Match Analysis ; Manchester United Versus Benfica by Proudlyngwa(m): 10:03pm On Nov 01, 2017
Bibidear:
Well i think the team selection is ok,the three points was d most important even tho they played bad......they should focus on chelsea's game and get the whole 3points....hope mourinho wont pack d bus

The team selection might have been OK, but the formation didn't suit the players, that's why there was a half time reshuffling.

Three points against a team like Benfica is OK, but at Old Trafford and against a young inexperienced team, we should be doing better.

Parking the bus against Chelsea is an invitation to anarchy, we should not be repeating that Liverpool mistake.
It's time we built a solid fear factor.
Re: Post Match Analysis ; Manchester United Versus Benfica by Kyase(m): 10:04pm On Nov 01, 2017
Bibidear:
Mou wont park any bus, He's going for revenge mission.
Re: Post Match Analysis ; Manchester United Versus Benfica by Kyase(m): 10:07pm On Nov 01, 2017
Proudlyngwa:

Hope he will not be thrown into a game that will zap his confidence.
He needs gradual introduction to boost his moral and that should be soon, he is seeing any hope for the world cup participation gradually fading.
carabao cup will do.
Re: Post Match Analysis ; Manchester United Versus Benfica by Proudlyngwa(m): 10:08pm On Nov 01, 2017
Kyase:
Yes, but we need to be fresh for the chelsea game, if we want to beat them, that been said, we are going to win come sunday.

We also needed to win the Benfica Match to ensure topping the group.

If he likes let him rest, the whole players, with wrong tactics and mindset, we will lose.

I hope the players go into Sunday match with a point to prove.
Chelsea is overdue hammering at the hands of United.
Hopefully Arsenal can do us a favor.
Re: Post Match Analysis ; Manchester United Versus Benfica by Proudlyngwa(m): 10:10pm On Nov 01, 2017
Kyase:
carabao cup will do.

Carano Cup is not a enough, for someone fighting to get into a world cup team.
Shaw is our only natural left back.

Cc. BANTINO
Re: Post Match Analysis ; Manchester United Versus Benfica by Kyase(m): 10:11pm On Nov 01, 2017
Proudlyngwa:

We also needed to win the Benfica Match to ensure topping the group.

If he likes let him rest, the whole players, with wrong tactics and mindset, we will lose.

I hope the players go into Sunday match with a point to prove.
Chelsea is overdue hammering at the hands of United.
Hopefully Arsenal can do us a favor.
We are beating chelsea, Arsenal are good in beating city, so lets hope they do us good.
Re: Post Match Analysis ; Manchester United Versus Benfica by Proudlyngwa(m): 10:13pm On Nov 01, 2017
Kyase:
We are beating chelsea, Arsenal are good in beating city, so lets hope they do us good.

Let's hope so too.

Meanwhile how do you analyze the starting line up of the United team in the Benfica match.
What a really your positives and Negatives
Re: Post Match Analysis ; Manchester United Versus Benfica by Kyase(m): 10:19pm On Nov 01, 2017
Proudlyngwa:

Let's hope so too.

Meanwhile how do you analyze the starting line up of the United team in the Benfica match.
What a really your positives and Negatives
the lineup was just okay for me, Scott did well at his standard, the only negative was Lukaku, just as paul scholes said, He should have taken the second Penalty.
Re: Post Match Analysis ; Manchester United Versus Benfica by Kyase(m): 10:21pm On Nov 01, 2017
Proudlyngwa:

Carano Cup is not a enough, for someone fighting to get into a world cup team.
Shaw is our only natural left back.

Cc. BANTINO
Shaw will come around, let's leave the manager to do his work on shaw
Re: Post Match Analysis ; Manchester United Versus Benfica by Proudlyngwa(m): 10:24pm On Nov 01, 2017
Kyase:
Shaw will come around, let's leave the manager to do his work on shaw

Do you remember the case of Andreas Pereira, the boss wanted him to stay. He needed a new challenge and went on loan.

Shaw is a special case, I hope his psychology can be managed well.
I do not know see him happy.
Re: Post Match Analysis ; Manchester United Versus Benfica by Kyase(m): 10:27pm On Nov 01, 2017
Proudlyngwa:

Do you remember the case of Andreas Pereira, the boss wanted him to stay. He needed a new challenge and went on loan.

Shaw is a special case, I hope his psychology can be managed well.
I do not know see him happy.
With the Form of Young at that LB, Shaw should just wait for his time. Let the most inform player play.
Re: Post Match Analysis ; Manchester United Versus Benfica by Proudlyngwa(m): 10:27pm On Nov 01, 2017
Kyase:
the lineup was just okay for me, Scott did well at his standard, the only negative was Lukaku, just as paul scholes said, He should have taken the second Penalty.

Actually for me the line up did not fit the formation, we are usually overrun in the middle of the park.
Since Pogba Injury, we are being outnumbered, If we play this way on Sunday, it won't be easy.
Re: Post Match Analysis ; Manchester United Versus Benfica by Kyase(m): 10:31pm On Nov 01, 2017
Proudlyngwa:

Actually for me the line up did not fit the formation, we are usually overrun in the middle of the park.
Since Pogba Injury, we are being outnumbered, If we play this way on Sunday, it won't be easy.
Its a known fact, that United need pogba or atleast King Fellaini, our midfield is empty, only Matic does all the job alone.
Re: Post Match Analysis ; Manchester United Versus Benfica by Proudlyngwa(m): 10:32pm On Nov 01, 2017
Kyase:
With the Form of Young at that LB, Shaw should just wait for his time. Let the most inform player play.

Young @ left back is a mirage.
He is only being managed there, the aim is to use him at LWB if the three regular center halves are available. And that is a position I know he is good at.
Currently we are not playing 3-5-2.
At LB Blind is a better option.
Re: Post Match Analysis ; Manchester United Versus Benfica by Kyase(m): 10:37pm On Nov 01, 2017
Proudlyngwa:

Young @ left back is a mirage.
He is only being managed there, the aim is to use him at LWB if the three regular center halves are available. And that is a position I know he is good at.
Currently we are not playing 3-5-2.
At LB Blind is a better option.
Blind is too weak for my liking, I dont see shaw getting into the team anytime soon.
Re: Post Match Analysis ; Manchester United Versus Benfica by Proudlyngwa(m): 10:41pm On Nov 01, 2017
Kyase:
Blind is too weak for my liking, I dont see shaw getting into the team anytime soon.

Shaw is the best option at left back barring injuries.
Blind is a better option at left back
Young at left wing back
Rojo at left center back.
Re: Post Match Analysis ; Manchester United Versus Benfica by Kyase(m): 10:45pm On Nov 01, 2017
Proudlyngwa:

Shaw is the best option at left back barring injuries.
Blind is a better option at left back
Young at left wing back
Rojo at left center back.

You just remind me of Rojo, im so glad he will be back after the international break.

As for Shaw sometimes I feel like He came to United to recieve salaries without playing. The guy is a chicken.
Re: Post Match Analysis ; Manchester United Versus Benfica by Proudlyngwa(m): 10:46pm On Nov 01, 2017
Kyase:
Its a known fact, that United need pogba or atleast King Fellaini, our midfield is empty, only Matic does all the job alone.

Without their presence, we have to adapt, we are still playing the same formation as if they are available.
Honestly when some players don't do well. Confidence tends to drop.
We need to find another way to resume services to Lukaku.
He is over due a goal.
Re: Post Match Analysis ; Manchester United Versus Benfica by Proudlyngwa(m): 10:48pm On Nov 01, 2017
Kyase:
You just remind me of Rojo, im so glad he will be back after the international break.

As for Shaw sometimes I feel like He came to United to recieve salaries without playing. The guy is a chicken.

I can't wait for Rojo to come back.

Shaw has been unfortunate, hope he does not go the way of Anderson
Re: Post Match Analysis ; Manchester United Versus Benfica by Kyase(m): 10:49pm On Nov 01, 2017
Proudlyngwa:

I can't wait for Rojo to come back.

Shaw has been unfortunate, hope he does not go the way of Anderson
I see him joining Spurs, then Rose joining Us, next summer.
Re: Post Match Analysis ; Manchester United Versus Benfica by Kyase(m): 10:52pm On Nov 01, 2017
Proudlyngwa:

Without their presence, we have to adapt, we are still playing the same formation as if they are available.
Honestly when some players don't do well. Confidence tends to drop.
We need to find another way to resume services to Lukaku.
He is over due a goal.
The thing is that Mhiki is playing absolute rubbish this days. Lukaku will soon resume scoring, lets hope against Chelsea.
Re: Post Match Analysis ; Manchester United Versus Benfica by Proudlyngwa(m): 10:54pm On Nov 01, 2017
Kyase:
I see him joining Spurs, then Rose joining Us, next summer.

What makes you feel spurs will sell.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FA Cup Semi-final: Man Utd(2) Vs Everton(4) [penalties] On Sunday 19th April / Chelsea Plans N11.3m Weekly Pay For Mikel / Nairaland Fantasy Premier League 2024/2025

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.