Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,543 members, 7,823,381 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:22 AM

Odimegwu Joins Imo Guber Race - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Odimegwu Joins Imo Guber Race (1156 Views)

Throw Back Picture Of Odimegwu Ojukwu And Wife Stella / PDP Calls For Imo Guber Cancellation / Ojukwu (Dim Chukwuemeka Odimegwu) Is Dead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Odimegwu Joins Imo Guber Race by smile4kenn(m): 2:33pm On Nov 26, 2006
RACE to the Government House, Owerri got keener weekend with the formal declaration of Mr. Festus Odimegwu, immediate past Managing Director/Chief Executive Officer of Nigerian Breweries Plc for Imo State governorship ticket.

He is running under the platform of Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and will pick his nomination form today.

Odimegwu made the declaration Saturday night at his Asa-Ubirielem hometown in Orsu local government area of Imo State, where he urged voters not to sell their future and that of their children by voting wrong candidates into power in 2007.

Speaking at a dinner party he hosted at his house, and which was attended by virtually all members of his community as well as representatives of the state government, Odimegwu said his decision to join the race was based on his conviction that the state needs somebody with experience and track record, like him, to continue from where Gov Achike Udenwa will stop come May 29, 2007 when he vacates office.

According to Odimegwu, who indicated his desire to retire from NB Plc last week after what his bosses at Heineken, Amsterdam described as excellent 26 years of service, having been a community leader for so long, the next thing for him was to serve the generality of Imo people better.

On whether he has the necessary experience to play politics in Nigeria today, he told Daily Champion that any mature and sensible administrator does not need special competencies to run for governor.

Speaking further on his conviction to run, he said "in Imo State, I have name recognition, in Nigeria, I have name recognition, and also in Imo State, I have always been involved in dealing with issues, so I'm not a foreigner".

Odimegwu who also reminded that he is qualified to vie for the presidency if he so wishes said there is nothing politicians do which is honourable and decent, that he cannot do stressing that a man who wants to be successful in his chosen career, must be ready to learn the skills of that trade.

"When we were in the private sector, we had to learn the skills of the sector, and we were so successful. The ability with which we learnt the skills that placed us at that international standard despite coming from Nigerian homes and schools would enable us in a very fast way, to learn the political habits and attitudes that came to play.

Dismissing recent reports that he was sacked from his former office, Odimegwu who asked if a Pope or a Bishop can be sacked from Catholic Church showered praises on his former company saying if "I should die and resurrect again, I will work for NB and Heineken."

(1) (Reply)

Saminu Turaki Writes The Presidency. / How The Foreign Press Sees Nigerians In Helmets: / Study: Nigerians Among Top Most Educated Immigrants

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.