Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,240 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:38 AM

How To Fix Your Car's Air Conditioner (Photos) - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How To Fix Your Car's Air Conditioner (Photos) (29719 Views)

See How Using Car Air Condition Is Bad For You / See Why You Should Mind What You Keep In Your Car Especially In Hot Weather / Help! My Car Air Conditioner Gas Keeps Leaking Away (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Fix Your Car's Air Conditioner (Photos) by AutosBay(m): 7:10am On Jun 13, 2016
Have you been sweltering in your car because of a broken air conditioner? Here's a short guide to how air conditioning (AC) works, why it might not work, and what you can do about it.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Fix Your Car's Air Conditioner (Photos) by AutosBay(m): 7:11am On Jun 13, 2016
Realize that auto AC is basically a refrigerator in a weird layout. It's designed to move heat from one place (the inside of your car) to some other place (the outdoors). While a complete discussion of every specific model and component is well outside the scope of this article, the following explanations of auto air conditioning should give you a start on figuring out what the problem might be. This should also help you work with the right pieces if fixing it yourself or it will help you to talk intelligently to someone you can pay to fix it.

1 Like 6 Shares

Re: How To Fix Your Car's Air Conditioner (Photos) by AutosBay(m): 7:13am On Jun 13, 2016
Become familiar with the major components to auto air conditioning:
Compressor: This compresses and circulates the refrigerant in the system
Refrigerant: On modern cars, this is usually a substance called R-134a, while older cars have r-12 freon which is becoming increasingly more expensive and hard to find, and also requires a license to handle. The refrigerant carries the heat.
Condenser: This changes the phase of the refrigerant from gas to liquid and expels heat removed from the car.
Expansion valve (or orifice tube in some vehicles): This is somewhat of a nozzle and functions to simultaneously drop the pressure of the refrigerant liquid, meter its flow, and atomize it.
Evaporator: This transfers heat to the refrigerant from the air blown across it, cooling your car.
Receiver/dryer: This functions as a filter for the refrigerant/oil, removing moisture and other contaminants.

1 Share

Re: How To Fix Your Car's Air Conditioner (Photos) by AutosBay(m): 7:14am On Jun 13, 2016
Understand the air conditioning process. In a nutshell, the compressor puts the refrigerant under pressure and sends it to the condensing coils. In your car, these coils are generally in front of the radiator.
Compressing a gas makes it quite hot. In the condenser, this added heat and the heat the refrigerant picked up in the evaporator is expelled to the air flowing across it from outside the car. When the refrigerant is cooled to its saturation temperature, it will change phase from a gas back into a liquid (this gives off a bundle of heat known as the "latent heat of vaporization"). The liquid then passes through the expansion valve to the evaporator, the coils inside of your car, where it loses pressure that was added to it in the compressor. This causes some of the liquid to change to a low-pressure gas as it cools the remaining liquid. This two-phase mixture enters the evaporator, and the liquid portion of the refrigerant absorbs the heat from the air across the coil and evaporates.
Your car's blower circulates air across the cold evaporator and into the interior. The refrigerant goes back through the cycle again and again.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How To Fix Your Car's Air Conditioner (Photos) by AutosBay(m): 7:23am On Jun 13, 2016
Method Two of Two:
Fixing the AC

Check to see if all the R-134a leaks out (meaning there's nothing in the loop to carry away heat). Leaks are easy to spot but not easy to fix without pulling things apart. Most auto-supply stores carry a fluorescent dye that can be added to the system to check for leaks, and it will have instructions for use on the can. If there's a bad enough leak, the system will have no pressure in it at all. Find the low-side valve and with a gauge check the PSI level.
Yellow glasses and a ultraviolet light will be needed to find leaks with dye. Electronic leak detectors are also available.
Do not use anything else to poke in the valve to see if it will come out, this is illegal. It's called venting.

Re: How To Fix Your Car's Air Conditioner (Photos) by AutosBay(m): 7:24am On Jun 13, 2016
Look for other things that can go wrong. The other sorts of problems that the AC might be experiencing include: bad switches, bad fuses, broken wires, broken fan belt (preventing the pump from turning), or seal failure inside the compressor.

Re: How To Fix Your Car's Air Conditioner (Photos) by AutosBay(m): 7:27am On Jun 13, 2016
Feel for any cooling at all. If the system cools, but not much, it could just be low pressure and you can top up the refrigerant. Most auto-supply stores will have a kit to refill a system, complete with instructions.
Do not overfill! Adding more than the recommended amount of refrigerant will not improve performance but actually will decrease performance. In fact, the more expensive automated equipment found at nicer shops actually monitors cooling performance in real-time as it adds refrigerant. When the performance begins to decrease it removes refrigerant until the performance peaks again.

Having your system services by a professional is always recommended

m.wikihow.com/Fix-Your-Car's-Air-Conditioner

2 Likes

Re: How To Fix Your Car's Air Conditioner (Photos) by fckmn24seg(m): 7:30am On Jun 13, 2016
OK
Modified,
What is the adequate pressure that needs to be added and which of the port should I deliver the gas? the big pipe or the smaller pipe? Thanks
Re: How To Fix Your Car's Air Conditioner (Photos) by looseweight: 6:56am On Jun 14, 2016
Lemme read first
Re: How To Fix Your Car's Air Conditioner (Photos) by Dottore: 6:57am On Jun 14, 2016
O
Re: How To Fix Your Car's Air Conditioner (Photos) by lifezone247(m): 6:57am On Jun 14, 2016
Nice
Re: How To Fix Your Car's Air Conditioner (Photos) by temmytee20(m): 6:58am On Jun 14, 2016
Noted
Re: How To Fix Your Car's Air Conditioner (Photos) by Emmanuel950(m): 6:59am On Jun 14, 2016
New jobs.. Not some masquerade dressing sh....
Re: How To Fix Your Car's Air Conditioner (Photos) by agulion: 6:59am On Jun 14, 2016
this Buhari self
Re: How To Fix Your Car's Air Conditioner (Photos) by Zellie: 6:59am On Jun 14, 2016
embarassed

11 Likes

Re: How To Fix Your Car's Air Conditioner (Photos) by Exponental(m): 7:01am On Jun 14, 2016
OK.
Re: How To Fix Your Car's Air Conditioner (Photos) by MightyPee: 7:02am On Jun 14, 2016
Ok, helpful, lemme try it on my car, I hope I get it right, because all this kind thing can fear me
Re: How To Fix Your Car's Air Conditioner (Photos) by lilreese: 7:02am On Jun 14, 2016
Na by force to turn mechanic ?

3 Likes

Re: How To Fix Your Car's Air Conditioner (Photos) by EternalBeing: 7:03am On Jun 14, 2016
Thanks.
Re: How To Fix Your Car's Air Conditioner (Photos) by verabetsy(f): 7:04am On Jun 14, 2016
ewww people flexing air conditioner while another man is on the ground writhing with pains naked

read story and pictures here: http://sagaciousguru..com.ng/2016/06/jungle-justice-man-stripped-naked-and.html?m=1
Re: How To Fix Your Car's Air Conditioner (Photos) by MrHighSea: 7:06am On Jun 14, 2016
Wetin concern leggedez benz wit AC.

1 Like

Re: How To Fix Your Car's Air Conditioner (Photos) by Nobody: 7:16am On Jun 14, 2016
AutosBay:
Have you been sweltering in your car because of a broken air conditioner? Here's a short guide to how air conditioning (AC) works, why it might not work, and what you can do about it.

pls wat culd b possibly wrong with my rear a/c ..d front air window n d boot window dispensin air ... but d rear passenger component does nt dispense air wen its on.
Re: How To Fix Your Car's Air Conditioner (Photos) by amzee(m): 7:18am On Jun 14, 2016
AutosBay:
Feel for any cooling at all. If the system cools, but not much, it could just be low pressure and you can top up the refrigerant. Most auto-supply stores will have a kit to refill a system, complete with instructions.
Do not overfill! Adding more than the recommended amount of refrigerant will not improve performance but actually will decrease performance. In fact, the more expensive automated equipment found at nicer shops actually monitors cooling performance in real-time as it adds refrigerant. When the performance begins to decrease it removes refrigerant until the performance peaks again.

Having your system services by a professional is always recommended

m.wikihow.com/Fix-Your-Car's-Air-Conditioner
Some of the tips are right while some are wrong. Contact me on +2348097886768 for any car a/c related issue.
Re: How To Fix Your Car's Air Conditioner (Photos) by tuoyoojo(m): 7:20am On Jun 14, 2016
my ac has being giving me problems still I brought the car.

now I have resigned to faith after spending a fortune with these trial by error mechanic

lemme go through dis and see what I can gain
Re: How To Fix Your Car's Air Conditioner (Photos) by Nobody: 7:20am On Jun 14, 2016
Point four is so true. While doing a Refill at Clegg for my car, na so them wan use over filling spoil the car. Then E no come dey blow cold sef...Eating may be good, but getting really filled may be inconveniencing
Re: How To Fix Your Car's Air Conditioner (Photos) by Freiburger(m): 7:27am On Jun 14, 2016
lilreese:
Na by force to turn mechanic ?

I wonder...
Re: How To Fix Your Car's Air Conditioner (Photos) by 00Ademi(m): 7:38am On Jun 14, 2016
When i buy my car o... Make ina no hurry me... grin
Re: How To Fix Your Car's Air Conditioner (Photos) by chimah3(m): 7:41am On Jun 14, 2016
Use hand fan
Re: How To Fix Your Car's Air Conditioner (Photos) by henryutd(m): 7:53am On Jun 14, 2016
My tools please. 13, 14 and 12.
Re: How To Fix Your Car's Air Conditioner (Photos) by ironheart(m): 7:55am On Jun 14, 2016
Most refilling done by the mechanic are done wrong, u need a vacuum pump to remove air before filling or adding extra gas to it. This is because there is moisture in the atmosphere which get into the A.C line and can cause damage in the long run.
Re: How To Fix Your Car's Air Conditioner (Photos) by amzee(m): 8:00am On Jun 14, 2016
fckmn24seg:
OK
Modified,
What is the adequate pressure that needs to be added and which of the port should I deliver the gas? the big pipe or the smaller pipe? Thanks
The big pipe i.e Suction Hose.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Innoson Acquires Robot Equipment, Increases Production Capacity To 60,000 / On The Eight Day, God Made The V8: My Journey To 400 HP / Drunk Driver And His Car Somersault In Lagos (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.