Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,019 members, 7,810,820 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:05 PM

How To Move Wordpress Site To New Host - Expert Guild - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How To Move Wordpress Site To New Host - Expert Guild (4844 Views)

How Can I Convert My Wordpress Site To Android App Free / Wordpress Site And Naija Adsense For Sale / Is It Advisable To Use Local Hosting Site To Host (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Move Wordpress Site To New Host - Expert Guild by HeroKeys(m): 7:50am On Jun 13, 2016
I just moved my WordPress site to new host and I thought it was necessary to write this post and to show anyone who is curious on how to move WordPress site to new host a simple and professional guild on moving WordPress site to new host.

I normally charge a small fee to move WordPress site to a new host, you can apply for that on my services page. Some web host also charge some fee to migrate WordPress site from your former web host to their server, some other web host offer this service free of charge web you buy a WordPress hosting package from them. However, you can transfer your WordPress site to a new host all by yourself successfully by following the below outlined steps.

In most cases, one gets tired of their current web host for one reason or the other and decides its time to move to a new host. Many WordPress site owners , always find this too techy and geeky and prefers not to do it themselves. Well the aim of this post is to maketransferring WordPress site to new host as simple as possible for anyone to be able to carryout without any error.

How To Transfer WordPress Site To New host

You can migrate WordPress site to new host in five simple steps below;

1. Backup your WordPress site to hard drive on your local computer.

2. On the new web host, create a database, database user and grant all privileges to the new user.

3. From phpAdmin in your cPanel , import the database of your WordPress site from the backup copy.

4. Edit the wp-config.php file in your copy of WordPress site files with the details of the new database name, database user and the password.

5. Upload your WordPress site files to the respective directory in the new web host.

Let's go into more details on transferring WordPress site to new host;

Step1 - Backup Your WordPress site:The first thing to do when migrating WordPress site to new host is to backup all your WordPress site with a plugin like BackWpup up orUpdraftplus. Alternatively you can simple download all your WordPress site files to your local computer and export your WordPress database from phpMyAdmin to your computer. Now that you have a copy of your WordPress site saved in your computer, let's move to the next step.

Step2 - Create A New Database: You will need to prepare WordPress to work with a new database. Simply log in to cPanel in your new web host and click on MySQL databases to create a new database, also create a user for the new database and grant all privileges to the new user. Learn how to create a MySQL database in cPanel . Note down the database name , database user and the user password as you will need it later.

Step3 - Import The Database: It's time to import your WordPress database from your computer. You can do this by logging into your cPanel , select phpMyAdmin and click on import at the top right of the page, choose the database and click on go at the end of the page to upload the database. Once its finish uploading, a success message will display. Move over to the next step.

Step4 - Edit Wp-config.php With New Database Details: You should edit the wp-config.php file in your WordPress files with the database details you noted earlier. Enter the database name, the database user and the database password. Save the file and move to the final step.

Step5 - Upload Your WordPress Site Files To The New Server: Now that you have created a database for WordPress to work with, you should now upload the WordPress site files from your computer to the server on the new host. You can achieve this by using any good FTP software. Once you have successfully uploaded your WordPress site files to the server on the new host,this completes the transfer process and your WordPress site should be live.

Following the above five steps will ensure you move your WordPress site to new web host successfully.

Source: http://herokeys.com/how-to-move-wordpress-site-to-new-host/

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How To Move Wordpress Site To New Host - Expert Guild by ourkobo: 7:56am On Jun 13, 2016
Abeg o, na space I just book for here
Re: How To Move Wordpress Site To New Host - Expert Guild by Nobody: 8:35am On Jun 13, 2016
Transferring to another host, I.e. From to another host. Will I still retain my content? what about links pointing to my blog, will they be broken?
Re: How To Move Wordpress Site To New Host - Expert Guild by strangest(m): 8:46am On Jun 13, 2016
A plugin can make your life easier

1 Like

Re: How To Move Wordpress Site To New Host - Expert Guild by HeroKeys(m): 10:54am On Jun 13, 2016
HenryDion:
Transferring to another host, I.e. From to another host. Will I still retain my content? what about links pointing to my blog, will they be broken?

Yes off course you will not loose your content or have broken link.
Re: How To Move Wordpress Site To New Host - Expert Guild by Nobody: 8:43pm On Jun 13, 2016
Realphilo:
it's so easy.
yes you will retain your contents and links won't be broken, just did this for aabelmedia.com from aabelmedia. contact me 08169254598 if you need guide

Will contact you when am ready to.Thanks for the response

1 Like

Re: How To Move Wordpress Site To New Host - Expert Guild by Nobody: 8:50pm On Jun 13, 2016
HeroKeys:

Yes off course you will not loose your content or have broken link.
Thanks bro for the fast response
Re: How To Move Wordpress Site To New Host - Expert Guild by EternalBeing: 6:46am On Jun 14, 2016
Nice one. Learn how to generate free income from referring clients to us or by learning uncommon exotic Cake making, Interior Decorations, Classy Outdoor Catering and memorable Event Planning. The opportunity would soon close, call 09021054213 or 08104470787 [url]apexcakes..com[/url]
Re: How To Move Wordpress Site To New Host - Expert Guild by ZUBY77(m): 6:46am On Jun 14, 2016
I did that last week. Piece of cake.

Just contact the new host, they will do everything a jiffy. Then you can point your DNS to the new nameservers and you are good to go.
You can even transfer your domain registration to the new host.
Re: How To Move Wordpress Site To New Host - Expert Guild by eff0eel: 6:47am On Jun 14, 2016
strangest:
A plugin can make your life easier

Re: How To Move Wordpress Site To New Host - Expert Guild by Emmanuel950(m): 6:51am On Jun 14, 2016
nice
Re: How To Move Wordpress Site To New Host - Expert Guild by Raypawer(m): 6:52am On Jun 14, 2016
chai, 3 years ago i dropped wordpress, go learn programming!
Re: How To Move Wordpress Site To New Host - Expert Guild by VocalWalls: 6:56am On Jun 14, 2016
And your nameservers?

1 Like

Re: How To Move Wordpress Site To New Host - Expert Guild by admindim: 6:57am On Jun 14, 2016
great
Re: How To Move Wordpress Site To New Host - Expert Guild by NigerDeltan(m): 6:57am On Jun 14, 2016
The repetition in the message ehn!
Re: How To Move Wordpress Site To New Host - Expert Guild by MisterGrace: 6:57am On Jun 14, 2016
Interesting... Pls how can I move my joomla site from my silly present host?
Re: How To Move Wordpress Site To New Host - Expert Guild by verabetsy(f): 7:07am On Jun 14, 2016
please I will like to move my blogger website to a new host

here is my blog: www.sagaciousguru..com

and hope it will not affect my getting Adsense approval
Re: How To Move Wordpress Site To New Host - Expert Guild by haconjy(m): 7:16am On Jun 14, 2016
hhh
Re: How To Move Wordpress Site To New Host - Expert Guild by Nobody: 8:01am On Jun 14, 2016
verabetsy:
please I will like to move my blogger website to a new host

here is my blog: www.sagaciousguru..com

and hope it will not affect my getting Adsense approval

You have not bought any domain name yet. In blogger, you don't need hosting but a domain name.

What you do is buy a domain name and redirect it in your blogger.

So you'll be able to have something like www.sagaciousguru.com
Re: How To Move Wordpress Site To New Host - Expert Guild by BuddhaPalm(m): 8:29am On Jun 14, 2016
BackupBuddy makes it a breeze.
Re: How To Move Wordpress Site To New Host - Expert Guild by GoodMuyis(m): 8:50am On Jun 14, 2016
This procedure is normal but very slow. I help a friend move his site Techlector.com to new host within 15min. The size of all the files on the site is about 4gb but when zip is 1.6gb or so.

Contact me for faster WordPress Deployment
Re: How To Move Wordpress Site To New Host - Expert Guild by Emeka71(m): 9:33am On Jun 14, 2016
Good move ; see www.9jatotalfacts.
Re: How To Move Wordpress Site To New Host - Expert Guild by pupsyd: 9:44am On Jun 14, 2016
Thanks!
Re: How To Move Wordpress Site To New Host - Expert Guild by ufumes(m): 9:53am On Jun 14, 2016
Very resourceful post. Thanks op
Re: How To Move Wordpress Site To New Host - Expert Guild by Simeon4real(m): 11:31am On Jun 14, 2016
Thanks for the Step by Step guide. It'll come in handy for me someday because I currently use Domainking.ng.

Well, I recently published a post about Easiest way to turn a website into a mobile
app.

Read about the post here: http://www.vistablog9ja.com.ng/easiest-way-to-turn-a-website-into-a-mobile-app/
Re: How To Move Wordpress Site To New Host - Expert Guild by oladeledave: 12:13pm On Jun 14, 2016
After setting this all up you apply for adsense and see ways which you can get people to click on your adsense adse

Top 5 Ways To Get Visitors Clicking On Your Adsense Ads
Re: How To Move Wordpress Site To New Host - Expert Guild by abdussalam(m): 2:54pm On Jun 14, 2016
Thank you for sharing
Re: How To Move Wordpress Site To New Host - Expert Guild by TechLector: 3:30pm On Jun 14, 2016
GoodMuyis:
This procedure is normal but very slow. I help a friend move his site Techlector.com to new host within 15min. The size of all the files on the site is about 4gb but when zip is 1.6gb or so.

Contact me for faster WordPress Deployment

nice work
Re: How To Move Wordpress Site To New Host - Expert Guild by wethebest(m): 4:19pm On Jun 14, 2016
ok
Re: How To Move Wordpress Site To New Host - Expert Guild by verabetsy(f): 6:07pm On Jun 14, 2016
mightyfada:

You have not bought any domain name yet. In blogger, you don't need hosting but a domain name.

What you do is buy a domain name and redirect it in your blogger.

So you'll be able to have something like www.sagaciousguru.com

exactly, I actually mean domain name

so if I buy domain name, will my blogger change automatically to .com

exactly

(1) (2) (Reply)

6 Ways To Generate Blog Topics You Can Write About / Over 72,000 Tumblr Posts Migrate To Wordpress After Yahoo Acquisition. / How Can I Start A Blog

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.