Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,637 members, 7,809,392 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:44 AM

How Can I Start A Blog - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How Can I Start A Blog (4853 Views)

Please How Can I Start A Blog Site? / How Do I Start A Blogging Site / Total Cost In Creating A Blog (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can I Start A Blog by Nobody: 8:48am On Jan 22, 2017
Pls Guys Help How Can I Start A Blog, I Need Your Opinion.
Re: How Can I Start A Blog by Jose213(m): 2:39pm On Jan 22, 2017
First of all, i want you to understand that creating a blog is not as daunting as many people think...or tell you...In fact, by following the step-by-step instructions in this guide, you will be able to set up and make your own blog, avoiding pitfalls and missteps that hinder some novices (no technical skills needed).

I hope that by building your own blog you will gain knowledge, friendships, support, confidence or turn blogging into a lucrative business.

Ready? Let’s get to it!

Five easy steps to starting a blog:

1.Choose a blogging platform

2.Pick a domain name

3.Get a web hosting account

4.Install blogging software and set up a blog.

5.Select a blog design and layout

Choosing a blogging platform;

At this stage, you’ll need to determine the type of blog management platform/tool you want to use.I recommend that you set up your blog on one of the self-hosted platforms. But before you make that decision, let me describe each option. When it comes to starting your blog you have the following options:
free, freemium and self-hosted (recommended) platforms.

Free platforms;

95.56%

Blogger 4.06%

Ghost 0.1%

Tumblr 0.06%

Svbtle 0.01%

For many new bloggers, the availability of free blogging platforms such as Blogger or Tumblr is tempting. Of course, there is one big benefit, it's free. But you need to understand that having a blog name in this form—yourname..com or yourname.tumblr.com, is the sign of an inexperienced beginner who likely won't be taken seriously.

By keeping your blog on a free platform, you let the platform own your name. You’ll be subject to their rules and restrictions, they may limit or prohibit ads on your blog, or they may even place their own ads on your blog.

If you're serious about blogging, you’ll want to move away from this option.

Freemium platforms;

Freemium means you’ll have a trial period before you have to start paying (costs vary from $5 to $30 per month). Several platforms are available. One of the most popular is TypePad. This platform focuses on ease of use for writing, but customization options are limited and it lacks certain features of value to bloggers.

By default, your TypePad blog name will look like this: yourname.typepad.com. It's not always the best option if you’re trying to build the name and brand for your blog. However you could point your own domain (purchased through any domain registrar) to a TypePad blog. To get your new self-hosted blog started, you need to decide on two important things: a domain name and a web hosting provider.

Picking a domain name;

Your domain name will be the name by which you will be known online for no matter what niche you choose.

It’s the unique address of your blog on the Internet. Your domain will be yours as long as you continue paying the annual fee ($10 to $15 for a .com domain). Users who know your domain/URL (uniform resource locator) can simply type it into their browser's address bar. Others will be able to discover your blog through search engines such as Google and Bing, so you definitely need to find a unique name.

Your domain name may be the highly popular "dot com" or it may be country or niche specific. From .co.ke (Kenya), .us (United Sates) to .co.uk (United Kingdom) and from .guru (yes, for life coaches) to .sport (for sports related domains), these top level domains (TLDs) are added to any domain name in order to point to their location. In the end, it's about being memorable, so if a different extension or country code helps you be memorable, then break the rules!

Geting a web hosting account;

After choosing a domain name, selecting reliable hosting services will be one of the most important decisions you make. To a great extent, the functionality and performance of your blog will depend on your hosting provider. The host makes sure your blog is available 24/7 to potential readers and it’s where your files are stored online.

Most hosting companies also offer domain registration services. Some people like me keep their domain name with the registrar company, separate from the hosting account. web hosting The wrong web host can cause many problems with your blog. Just imagine choosing a mobile company that has no reception. Your web host is a major piece of the puzzle to maintaining a successful blog, therefore, it’s crucial that you choose a reliable provider.

Self-hosted platforms;

Self-hosted platforms allow you to run a blog on your own domain. Aside from following your domain registrar and web hosting company's rules, you’re fully in charge of your blog and its contents. You have a number of choices when it comes to a self-hosted blog system (also knowj as a Content Management System or CMS). One of the best and most well-known self-hosted content management systems (CMS) is WordPress.org, powering 25.4% of all websites in the world and responsible for over 76.5 million blogs, which is recommended by 99% of the blogging experts.

Start Setting Up a Blog:

Step 1;

You should start by selecting your hosting plan on a reputable company. If this is your very first one, you should go with the basic plan which should be able to cover all your needs & once you get your blog going,consider upgrading your account.

step 2;

Pick a good domain name that can be remembered. Your domain name has an important say when it comes to the future success of your blog, and so you should take your time to come up with something new.

step 3;

Go to your hosting account & Once you’re logged in, you’re ready to install WordPress. Under the website section, you should be able to see a WordPress icon. Once you click install, you will be taken to a short WordPress description, after which it will be required from you to type in your username, site title and password, Once you check and double check every letter you have entered is correct, click “install now” and the installation After your installation is complete, you will receive an email about your credentials, after which you can browse through various themes and templates in order to find the one according to your needs.

step 4;

After Wordpress is installed, the first thing your blog needs is a face (design and layout). The design of your blog can be easily changed with Themes. The default theme that comes with your WordPress blog installed is Twenty Sixteen—while it's a good starter theme, you could select a theme that is more unique to your blog and compatible with your niche.

Choose a theme that looks great, but also works for your unique content needs. Your readers will first notice the overall appearance of the blog, before even taking a look at the content.

Congratulations! you now have your own domain name, hosting space and your blog is set up. Next, you will need to get familiar with the Wordpress dashboard, learn how to make desired changes to your blog, start your content creation and promotion in order to become a successful blogger. Otherwise happy blogging!!!!!"

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can I Start A Blog by GoodyOG: 2:41pm On Jan 22, 2017
holuwanoisy111:

whatsapp me lets being with the basics
Re: How Can I Start A Blog by nmreports: 7:01am On Jan 26, 2017
Easy as ABC

1. Decide which niche you want to blog about and ensure you have passion for it.
2. Log on to blogger.com
3. Sign in with your gmail account.
4. If you do not have a gmail account, create one.
5. Once you sign in, the rest has a simple guide-through all the way
6. Try with a simple template and you would be amazed at what you can achieve.

I used a simple template here: www.HRtechnique.com

Benefits:

1. Easy to do.
2. It can be monetized easily.
3. There are webmasters on Google forum ready to help.
4. You will never pay for space or Gigabytes as the case may be
Re: How Can I Start A Blog by wiloy2k8(m): 7:03am On Jan 26, 2017
Climbing wall with boobs, nipples and joysticks as grip unveiled in New York and London

http://www.digestng.com/2017/01/26/climbing-wall-boobs-nipples-joysticks-grip-unveiled-new-york-london/

Re: How Can I Start A Blog by Nobody: 7:06am On Jan 26, 2017
Jump into all that without chosing a Niche , or you assumed He got one already? I represent http://www.gadgetsng.com/ , i can assist in real live if you need my assistance
Jose213:
First of all, i want you to understand that creating a blog is not as daunting as many people think...or tell you...In fact, by following the step-by-step instructions in this guide, you will be able to set up and make your own blog, avoiding pitfalls and missteps that hinder some novices (no technical skills needed).

I hope that by building your own blog you will gain knowledge, friendships, support, confidence or turn blogging into a lucrative business.

Ready? Let’s get to it!

2.Pick a domain name

At this stage, you’ll need to determine the type of blog management platform/tool you want to use.I recommend that you set up your blog on one of the self-hosted platforms. But before you make that decision, let me describe each option. When it comes to starting your blog you have the following options:

Free platforms;

95.56%

Blogger 4.06%

Ghost 0.1%

Tumblr 0.06%

Svbtle 0.01%

For many new bloggers, the availability of free blogging platforms such as Blogger or Tumblr is tempting. Of course, there is one big benefit, it's free. But you need to understand that having a blog name in this form—yourname..com or yourname.tumblr.com, is the sign of an inexperienced beginner who likely won't be taken seriously.

By keeping your blog on a free platform, you let the platform own your name. You’ll be subject to their rules and restrictions, they may limit or prohibit ads on your blog, or they may even place their own ads on your blog.

Freemium platforms;

Freemium means you’ll have a trial period before you have to start paying (costs vary from $5 to $30 per month). Several platforms are available. One of the most popular is TypePad. This platform focuses on ease of use for writing, but customization options are limited and it lacks certain features of value to bloggers.

By default, your TypePad blog name will look like this: yourname.typepad.com. It's not always the best option if you’re trying to build the name and brand for your blog. However you could point your own domain (purchased through any domain registrar) to a TypePad blog. To get your new self-hosted blog started, you need to decide on two important things: a domain name and a web hosting provider.

Picking a domain name;

Your domain name will be the name by which you will be known online for no matter what niche you choose.

It’s the unique address of your blog on the Internet. Your domain will be yours as long as you continue paying the annual fee ($10 to $15 for a .com domain). Users who know your domain/URL (uniform resource locator) can simply type it into their browser's address bar. Others will be able to discover your blog through search engines such as Google and Bing, so you definitely need to find a unique name.

Your domain name may be the highly popular "dot com" or it may be country or niche specific. From .co.ke (Kenya), .us (United Sates) to .co.uk (United Kingdom) and from .guru (yes, for life coaches) to .sport (for sports related domains), these top level domains (TLDs) are added to any domain name in order to point to their location. In the end, it's about being memorable, so if a different extension or country code helps you be memorable, then break the rules!

After choosing a domain name, selecting reliable hosting services will be one of the most important decisions you make. To a great extent, the functionality and performance of your blog will depend on your hosting provider. The host makes sure your blog is available 24/7 to potential readers and it’s where your files are stored online.

Most hosting companies also offer domain registration services. Some people like me keep their domain name with the registrar company, separate from the hosting account. web hosting The wrong web host can cause many problems with your blog. Just imagine choosing a mobile company that has no reception. Your web host is a major piece of the puzzle to maintaining a successful blog, therefore, it’s crucial that you choose a reliable provider.

Self-hosted platforms;

Self-hosted platforms allow you to run a blog on your own domain. Aside from following your domain registrar and web hosting company's rules, you’re fully in charge of your blog and its contents. You have a number of choices when it comes to a self-hosted blog system (also knowj as a Content Management System or CMS). One of the best and most well-known self-hosted content management systems (CMS) is WordPress.org, powering 25.4% of all websites in the world and responsible for over 76.5 million blogs, which is recommended by 99% of the blogging experts.

Start Setting Up a Blog:

Step 1;

You should start by selecting your hosting plan on a reputable company. If this is your very first one, you should go with the basic plan which should be able to cover all your needs & once you get your blog going,consider upgrading your account.

step 2;

Pick a good domain name that can be remembered. Your domain name has an important say when it comes to the future success of your blog, and so you should take your time to come up with something new.

step 3;

Go to your hosting account & Once you’re logged in, you’re ready to install WordPress. Under the website section, you should be able to see a WordPress icon. Once you click install, you will be taken to a short WordPress description, after which it will be required from you to type in your username, site title and password, Once you check and double check every letter you have entered is correct, click “install now” and the installation After your installation is complete, you will receive an email about your credentials, after which you can browse through various themes and templates in order to find the one according to your needs.

step 4;

After Wordpress is installed, the first thing your blog needs is a face (design and layout). The design of your blog can be easily changed with Themes. The default theme that comes with your WordPress blog installed is Twenty Sixteen—while it's a good starter theme, you could select a theme that is more unique to your blog and compatible with your niche.

Choose a theme that looks great, but also works for your unique content needs. Your readers will first notice the overall appearance of the blog, before even taking a look at the content.

Congratulations! you now have your own domain name, hosting space and your blog is set up. Next, you will need to get familiar with the Wordpress dashboard, learn how to make desired changes to your blog, start your content creation and promotion in order to become a successful blogger. Otherwise happy blogging!!!!!"
Re: How Can I Start A Blog by Interpreter: 7:07am On Jan 26, 2017
brb
Re: How Can I Start A Blog by Ugoeze2016: 7:08am On Jan 26, 2017
Let's ask Linda
Re: How Can I Start A Blog by Mr2kay2: 7:26am On Jan 26, 2017
Op I can help setup your blog but for a fee.hit me up on whatsapp 08184564281 to view my portfolio.Anyone offering you a free service is a joke wink
Re: How Can I Start A Blog by Hemanwel(m): 7:40am On Jan 26, 2017
I have been looking for something like this for a while. God bless the OP for opening this thread!
I am bookmarking this thread.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Start A Blog by Walexz02(m): 7:56am On Jan 26, 2017
Let me sit and learn
Re: How Can I Start A Blog by Ahmiee(f): 7:59am On Jan 26, 2017
for someone that wanto go into blogging, whats the estimated amount the person will need for a start
Re: How Can I Start A Blog by sakalisis(m): 8:07am On Jan 26, 2017
Re: How Can I Start A Blog by segola7(m): 8:09am On Jan 26, 2017
betternewsblog for sale contact: 08169425155.no flashing pls mail: seun@betternewsblog.com site : www.betternewsblog.com price: 55k unique visitor for the past 15 days: 1,510 number of visit: 3019.
Re: How Can I Start A Blog by webincomeplus(m): 8:24am On Jan 26, 2017
holuwanoisy111:
Start by asking yourself what you have to offer. Is it your knowledge or experience in a line of business that many people are willing to learn? Is it your zeal for researching interesting information and sharing with others? Is it your interest on a topic that you think many other people are always interested in?

By answering the above question, you'd be able to decide what niche or subject you want to blog about. Whatever your choice is, be sure that it's a topic that many people are interested in. Also decide whether you want a blog that is catered to only Nigerians or to a global audience.

Your next step is to set up your blog, preferably on WordPress -- for too many reasons than I can list out here.

Then conduct some keyword research to figure out the exact kind of information in your niche that people are looking for. This will help you to attract a huge audience quickly enough. But if you're going into news (entertainment news, sports news, etc.), this might not be necessary.

Start publishing posts on your blog.

Then start working your tail off to get traffic from any means -- sensible means, I mean. You can tap traffic from other blogs, social media, Whatsapp, and online forums like Nairaland. I would've loved to go into the technical details of how to get traffic from these platforms, but I don't have the time right now.

Arrange a way to turn your first-time visitors into repeat visitors by creating a mailing list or any other avenue through which they can get updates each time you publish new stuff on your blog. There are no rules regarding this. You can use a Facebook group, Whatsapp group, Twitter, BBM Channel, a custom Android app, and the default subscription module that comes with the WordPress Jetpack plugin.

Never stop reading authority blogs about blogging to learn more about the art as well as strategies for growing your blog over time. Also, don't underestimate the power of connecting with other bloggers.

When your audience grows to a decent size, start considering monetization: Adsense, affiliate marketing, creating and selling your own products, offering freelance services, etc.

This post isn't meant to be a complete guide on blogging, so I didn't go into the technical details of each step. To learn more about each step, simple put the relevant query in Google, and you'd get more results than you need.

I hope this help.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How Can I Start A Blog by megareal: 8:30am On Jan 26, 2017
Thanks OP for starting this thread. I've wanted to blog for years. I have a niche but I've always been so confused by the tons of information on the subject.

Thanks Jose213 for the explanation. It made a lot of sense.

However, I still need a guide to ake me step by step, who can help?
Re: How Can I Start A Blog by daPretender: 8:32am On Jan 26, 2017
megareal:
Thanks OP for starting this thread. I've wanted to blog for years. I have a niche but I've always been so confused by the tons of information on the subject.

Thanks Jose213 for the explanation. It made a lot of sense.

However, I still need a guide to ake me step by step, who can help?
I may be able to help
Re: How Can I Start A Blog by Theyveedo(m): 8:38am On Jan 26, 2017
Jose213:

Ready? Let’s get to it!

2.Pick a domain name

Free platforms;

95.56%

Blogger 4.06%

Ghost 0.1%

Tumblr 0.06%

Svbtle 0.01%

Freemium platforms;

Picking a domain name;

Self-hosted platforms;

Start Setting Up a Blog:

Step 1;

step 2;

step 3;

step 4;

Plz let's discuss privately.
07064840515, whatsapp.
Re: How Can I Start A Blog by pauljumbo: 8:52am On Jan 26, 2017
Nice post
Re: How Can I Start A Blog by upuphim(m): 8:54am On Jan 26, 2017
@Jose213. What is added to make one start earning from the blog because I only knew about adsense account that goes with per click.
Re: How Can I Start A Blog by Ladybianca(f): 9:07am On Jan 26, 2017
I'm interested too
Re: How Can I Start A Blog by sped1oro(m): 9:11am On Jan 26, 2017
5 PROVEN STEPS TO BOOST YOUR BLOGGING CAREER

Blogging is in no doubt the best way to amplify your brand name. Blogging sometimes requires an individual to first obtain a domain name and a blog host. This is followed by creating a FREE or PAID blogging platform such as Blogger or Wordpress. Once this is achieved, you can therefore, go aboard on an expedition of formulating content that will be of significance to your readers and followers alike. In order to start a successful blogging career and generate revenues from it, here are the 5 proven steps I took as a beginner:

CREATE AN IDEA
Blogging as a career needs meticulousness and a prior preparation. It is highly essential to make up your mind up on the niche you want to blog about. You equally have to understand your immediate and long-standing blogging objective with regards to the subject you wish to write about. There must also be a patent rationale that communicates what you propose to write during the first few weeks of publishing as well as the rest of your blogging career.

QUALITY VISUAL CONTENT MUST BE CREATED
You must ensure to have unique images and graphics that make your contents appealing. The photos, images, videos and other graphic materials that you incorporate in your blogging endeavors can either damage or optimize your blog. In order to get quality visual content, learn the art of graphic design or solicit for the help of an expert.

BUILD UP STRONG FOLLOWERSHIP AND EMAIL SUBSCRIBERS
Passionate followership is a very crucial part of building a successful blogging career. Creating and increasing a mailing list also plays a fundamental role in similar measure when starting and sustaining blogging. A mailing list enables a blogger to push notifications to followers and prospective visitors. This also drives traffic for the new blog as different to totally relying on search engines.

CONSISTENT BLOGGING
Carving a niche in your blogging endeavor requires consistency. It is not just about writing a small number of posts and be relaxed. If you want to attract and maintain cult followership and let search engines crawls your site and rank your blog, you have to consistently write a series of posts in a month.

SOCIAL MEDIA NETWORK INTEGRATION
Social media is the ultimate place to get massive and free traffic to your blog. Successful blogging involves sharing the content through social networks such as Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Pininterest, Whatsapp, Reddit, Linkedln and Instagram. Sharing the blog posts with your network of followers through these platforms guarantees distribution to other individuals. This increases traffic for your blog by attracting more visitors to your blogging platform.

Source......www.hollalaycan.com
Re: How Can I Start A Blog by Frank2Hero(m): 9:45am On Jan 26, 2017
[quote author=webincomeplus post=53138043]
Start by asking yourself what you have to offer. Is it your knowledge or experience in a line of business that many people are willing to learn? Is it your zeal for researching interesting information and sharing with others? Is it your interest on a topic that you think many other people are always interested in?

By answering the above question, you'd be able to decide what niche or subject you want to blog about. Whatever your choice is, be sure that it's a topic that many people are interested in. Also decide whether you want a blog that is catered to only Nigerians or to a global audience.

Your next step is to set up your blog, preferably on WordPress -- for too many reasons than I can list out here.

Then conduct some keyword research to figure out the exact kind of information in your niche that people are looking for. This will help you to attract a huge audience quickly enough. But if you're going into news (entertainment news, sports news, etc.), this might not be necessary.

Start publishing posts on your blog.

Then start working your tail off to get traffic from any means -- sensible means, I mean. You can tap traffic from other blogs, social media, Whatsapp, and online forums like Nairaland. I would've loved to go into the technical details of how to get traffic from these platforms, but I don't have the time right now.

Arrange a way to turn your first-time visitors into repeat visitors by creating a mailing list or any other avenue through which they can get updates each time you publish new stuff on your blog. There are no rules regarding this. You can use a Facebook group, Whatsapp group, Twitter, BBM Channel, a custom Android app, and the default subscription module that comes with the WordPress Jetpack plugin.

Never stop reading authority blogs about blogging to learn more about the art as well as strategies for growing your blog over time. Also, don't underestimate the power of connecting with other bloggers.

When your audience grows to a decent size, start considering monetization: Adsense, affiliate marketing, creating and selling your own products, offering freelance services, etc.

This post isn't meant to be a complete guide on blogging, so I didn't go into the technical details of each step. To learn more about each step, simple put the relevant query in Google, and you'd get more results than you need.

I hope this help.[This is insightful! Thanks Dreast Lander!]

1 Like

Re: How Can I Start A Blog by Donald3d(m): 9:48am On Jan 26, 2017
hmm
Re: How Can I Start A Blog by adekalumichael: 10:33am On Jan 26, 2017
Blogging is no doubt a profitable habit if rightly done. Meanwhile, many factors could contribute to the success of being a successful blogger, by this I don't mean earning billions but you would be a first choice people want to read about.

No doubt about the steps already explained above, which are

1) Bogging platform;
2) Domain name;
3) Host the blog;
4) run and install plugins for your blog
5) Design with a good layout.

As simple as these steps are, there is more to each. As a starter, I will advise you begin with a free platform such as wordpress, blogger, tumblr etc. This will not make you spend unnecessary and it would make you to perfect some mistakes you may encounter in the journey of blogging.

I started blogging not quite long even though I had opened a free blog for years before taking it up seriously. During my trial times, I learned from people who run authority sites like Jon Haver@AuthorityWebsiteIncome.com, Karan Singh@BloggingWays.net, Hayden@NoHatSeo.com, Steve Rendell@Textfly.com and alot. But make sure you have some in your niche(that is your chosen area of interest).

While you do this, don't let earning be your top priority for now. It will come as a reward for smart labour you engage in with time.

Feel free to check youtubes for videos, and always google it!google it! google it!

No long from now, you will smile.
Re: How Can I Start A Blog by Nobody: 10:37am On Jan 26, 2017
the type of advice i see here is just alarming. nigga is just bout starting to blog without traffic yet you want him to be paying monthly hosting dues? abeg open free account if u wana start blogging and when you start getting enough traffic, you switch to the hosted version. simple enough of the stories. by the way, wordpress is quite better than blogger
Re: How Can I Start A Blog by itsRhamzy: 10:58am On Jan 26, 2017
I've always wanted to ask this question....
Re: How Can I Start A Blog by wizkidblogger(f): 11:24am On Jan 26, 2017
Download the free blogging ebook at www.ogbongeblog.com
Re: How Can I Start A Blog by 2wice(m): 11:39am On Jan 26, 2017

(1) (2) (Reply)

7 Hard Truth About Blogging You Didn't Know / When Adsense Keeps Rejecting Your Site / Nairaland CEO Seun Osewa Picture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.