Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,281 members, 7,836,253 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:40 AM

Ngige's Threat To Banks; See Labour Acts Breached By Banks: Know Your Right!!! - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ngige's Threat To Banks; See Labour Acts Breached By Banks: Know Your Right!!! (30200 Views)

FG Has Created 8m Blue Collar Jobs - Ngige, Minister Of Labour / Mass Sack: Ngige Meets Senators Over Withdrawal Of Banks' License.Photos / Senate Summons Ngige Over Threat To Banks.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ngige's Threat To Banks; See Labour Acts Breached By Banks: Know Your Right!!! by koboko69: 9:18pm On Jun 13, 2016
Wildrage:
The section quoted only stipulates the conditions precedent to laying off staffs for reason of redundancy

It's a well known legal principle that no law can force a worker on an unwilling employer

No where in the quoted section of the labour law is the minister given the power to withdraw a company's licence in a lqbour dispute as was threatened by Ngige

The most the minister can do is to compel the payment of the stipulated severance package and if the company refuses, initiate a process through the labour court or court of arbitration to compel the company to comply with the law or impose the necessary penalty

The minister acted like a law unto himself, with needless arrogance considering the economic situation of the country. His grandstanding did not cause the banks to reverse their actions so what has he achieved with his careless rantings?

The best approach is to dialogue with the banks concerned, reason with them , promise incentives and govt packages that may cushion the weight of the present economic downturn on the banks

Stop being ignorant. Look at the statement very well. He mentioned the government, we gave them the license, he never personalised it like saying I will withdraw. That being said, no one is forcing any worker on the employer, what we are saying is if u are gonna laynoff staffs, follow due process.
Stop the sentimental slavery mentality and call a spade a spade

3 Likes

Re: Ngige's Threat To Banks; See Labour Acts Breached By Banks: Know Your Right!!! by koboko69: 9:20pm On Jun 13, 2016
grandstar:

It will lead to a massive increase in forex supplies to meet importers needs

Wow...how is this?
Re: Ngige's Threat To Banks; See Labour Acts Breached By Banks: Know Your Right!!! by CioAngels(f): 9:23pm On Jun 13, 2016
I was so vexed when i read some of their comments, i now wondered what else do they want from a caring and fighting minister? Sincerely, i think this is the first time a minister will publicly vet his anger against corporations maltreatment of their staff. My issue now is, will the minister maintain this working methodolgy so that workers can work without fear? Well, i should not blame the employees becos they are not allowed to unionise so they don't know their rights, even those that knows will not mention it for fear of job loss. My honorable minister, if you can go extra mile for the workers, you should mandate corporations to let employee have a union, after all is not a Nigerian thing, it is world over. Mostly the Asians/indians who our government officials collects bribe from which gives them the power to use Nigerians like slaves. Private schools should also be made to allow their staff to belong to a union also.

4 Likes

Re: Ngige's Threat To Banks; See Labour Acts Breached By Banks: Know Your Right!!! by grandstar(m): 9:31pm On Jun 13, 2016
koboko69:

Wow...how is this?

Do you know there is $20b in private dormicillary accounts in Nigeria unused?

Do you know there are billions of dollars waiting to enter this country once the currency is devalued?

Nobody is ready to sell forexat 199 when it's 350 at the black market.

My friend who exports lead stopped the business because he would be forced to convert the forex earned at 199.

I wanted to start exporting kolanuts this year but the 199 rate discouraged me.

Even people receiving $100 Western Union are seething because they convert at about 195.

2 Likes

Re: Ngige's Threat To Banks; See Labour Acts Breached By Banks: Know Your Right!!! by koboko69: 9:43pm On Jun 13, 2016
grandstar:

Do you know there is $20b in private dormicillary accounts in Nigeria unused?

Do you know there are billions of dollars waiting to enter this country once the currency is devalued?

Nobody is ready to sell forexat 199 when it's 350 at the black market.

My friend who exports lead stopped the business because he would be forced to convert the forex earned at 199.

I wanted to start exporting kolanuts this year but the 199 rate discouraged me.

Even people receiving $100 Western Union are seething because they convert at about 195.

You are very funny. grin. We are talking about covering about 20% . We all know oil brings more than 70% of our fx.

1 Like

Re: Ngige's Threat To Banks; See Labour Acts Breached By Banks: Know Your Right!!! by Nobody: 9:44pm On Jun 13, 2016
IsraeliAIRFORCE:
You are right. However, the Federal Government set the precedence when they disengaged thousands from custom to immigration to DSS and so many other agencies and parastatals without recourse to the same Labour laws you cited.

FG can't be lawless and at same time wants others to comply. Things don't work that way.
u lie bro!

4 Likes

Re: Ngige's Threat To Banks; See Labour Acts Breached By Banks: Know Your Right!!! by CHIJIOKE1314: 9:56pm On Jun 13, 2016
koboko69:
Where are the people who almost beheaded Ngige for doing the right thing, particularly the PDP minions, and the IPAD yoots, who have even disowned Ngige for fighting for their rights. Why are they shamelessly and mysteriously peeping in those this thread and quietly walking out.

Lalasticlala mynd44 we need more opinions

Let me show you one IPAd Yoot, before this hate you feel for Igbos tarnish you..

"Buhari answer to unemployment is not to implement judicious economic policies but to order private businesses not to lay off their staff" -- Femi Aribisala

"Ngige threatens the government will revoke the licences of banks that retrench staff. What nonsense! How will such a stupid move save jobs?" -- Femi Aribisala

"What we have is a mumu government with mumu ministers." -- Femi Aribisala

I hope Femi is IPad enough for you?
Re: Ngige's Threat To Banks; See Labour Acts Breached By Banks: Know Your Right!!! by Tolakay: 10:05pm On Jun 13, 2016
Babacele:
u think they really know? Nope Mo...I don't think hate filled Igbos know about Labour laws, employee/employer relationship and best global practices....our minister Ngige should go ahead and enforce all the laws that guides jobs and employment in Naija ....n where there are no clear contract terms, it should henceforth be well spelt and legally binding too.....nobody be anybody fool anymore....God bless Keshi and Amodu ! May their soul go back to the Creator, amen.
Re: Ngige's Threat To Banks; See Labour Acts Breached By Banks: Know Your Right!!! by agrovick(m): 10:06pm On Jun 13, 2016
To think I called him a comedian on that previous thread. Op! Thanks for opening my eyes.

1 Like

Re: Ngige's Threat To Banks; See Labour Acts Breached By Banks: Know Your Right!!! by Tolakay: 10:08pm On Jun 13, 2016
koboko69:
Many Nigerians where awakened with a rude shock from the minister of labour and employment threatening to withdraw the licenses of banks who failed to obey the directives of the government on mass sack and come to the negotiation table.

It is a pity that, political differences, tribal and ethno religious hates have really beclouded the sound reasoning of many Nigerians. The honourable minister clearly stated and i qoute

“The federal government gave the licences to the banks to operate and if its directives are not adhered to the licences will be withdrawn if the need arises,” he said.

“We will go a step further if they continue. We know what to do. They need to comply. They need to come to the negotiation table. We halted the spate of sack in the oil industry and we succeeded.

“Even if you are going to lay off, there is a way to declare redundancy, there is a process. Section 20 of the labour act says it. You must call the unions and discuss with them. You don’t just treat them as slaves in their own country and you want us to keep quiet.

Unfortunately the same Nigerians being fought for have been taking a swipe at the honourable minister and the present government for this threats. Hauling all manner of attacks on the present government and the minister. It even degenerated to political party attacks. Was Ngige wrong in his assertions?

Lets take a look section 20 of Nigeria Labour Act.

Did any of the banks follow any of the processes outlined in the Labour Act?

As a matter of fact many Banks have even cowered their sraffs into a position where they are not allowed to form any union or join any union within their establishment. Many Nigerians workers don't even know this is very wrong.

Lets take a look at Section 9 subsection 6 of the Nigeria Labour Act.

Now my question is are private sectors exempted from the Nigeria Labour Act? A big NO, both private and public sectors are bounded by the Law.

Many Nigerian workers don't even know there rights are being trampled upon by their employers. If you go through all the contents of the Labour Act, you will be amazed at how much your rights have been trampled on. Unfortunately it is already a way of life, that even when a minister tries to correct the abnormally, the slavery mentality kicks in, the political differences kicks in, the hypocritical hate kicks in, and the whole process is stalled again.

Enough of hiding under the guise of scaring investors away. Any investor who have good intentions for Nigeria and her citizens, and are not coming to milk/use and enslave Nigerians will not be scared because of threats or sanctions occasioned by laid down laws being flouted. They knew the law before the came to invest. These investors abide by the laws in other countries and come to Nigeria to turnher citizens to slaves in their own country.

NIGERIANS, ENOUGH OF THIS SLAVERY MENTALITY!

Read the full Labour Act here:
http://www.nigeria-law.org/LabourAct.htm

Please Note; This applies to all private sector. I only used the banks as a case study because of the honourable minister's threat to withdraw licenses of defaulting banks.
LIFO
Re: Ngige's Threat To Banks; See Labour Acts Breached By Banks: Know Your Right!!! by grandstar(m): 10:57pm On Jun 13, 2016
koboko69:

You are very funny. grin. We are talking about covering about 20% . We all know oil brings more than 70% of our fx.

Do you know that remittances brought in $21b in 2014?

Oil may bring in the bulk presently but it has to be appropriately priced or else artificial scarcity of the sort that is happening now will occur.

Many oil exporting countries like Russia and Columbia have seen massive falls in the value of their currencies following the crash in oil prices. They are not experiencing dollar shortages because they accepted market realities.

Even super prudent Norway , a country whose budget will balance if oil hit $20 a barrel saw a 26% reduction in the value of its currency.

Even Canada with a buoyant oil sector and we'll diversified economy saw the Canadian dollar go from parity to the dollar to 1 US $ buying 1.30 Can $.

When your forex earnings are going down, your currency will naturally depreciate.When there is a massive influx, it will appreciate.

Just like the mathematician does not determine 1+1=2, likewise you do not need the IMF to tell us the obvious. This is simple economics. Even the Hausa forex traders know this.

1 Like

Re: Ngige's Threat To Banks; See Labour Acts Breached By Banks: Know Your Right!!! by koboko69: 11:18pm On Jun 13, 2016
grandstar:

Do you know that remittances brought in $21b in 2014?

Oil may bring in the bulk presently but it has to be appropriately priced or else artificial scarcity of the sort that is happening now will occur.

Many oil exporting countries like Russia and Columbia have seen massive falls in the value of their currencies following the crash in oil prices. They are not experiencing dollar shortages because they accepted market realities.

Even super prudent Norway , a country whose budget will balance if oil hit $20 a barrel saw a 26% reduction in the value of its currency.

Even Canada with a buoyant oil sector and we'll diversified economy saw the Canadian dollar go from parity to the dollar to 1 US $ buying 1.30 Can $.

When your forex earnings are going down, your currency will naturally depreciate.When there is a massive influx, it will appreciate.

Just like the mathematician does not determine 1+1=2, likewise you do not need the IMF to tell us the obvious. This is simple economics. Even the Hausa forex traders know this.

Some OPEC countries have devalued their currency, how exactly has it helped their economy? Hmm, which remittances brought $21bn? If the government raked on $21bn asides oil money in 2014, Jonathan has a billion questions to ans grin

In b/w do u know the fx reserves in the countries u mentioned?

Nigeria didn't really have dollar shortage when oil fell during Yar'Adua's reign, why....ans is a robust foreign reserve still strong enough to sustain a 15months import needs of Nigerians.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ngige's Threat To Banks; See Labour Acts Breached By Banks: Know Your Right!!! by kedeojo(m): 12:06am On Jun 14, 2016
A big kudos to the poster. Some of us knew all dis for long but political sentiment will not let us speak d truth. The same banks government grant bailout too in excess of 600 billion some years ago, will now believe dey can now disobeyed, knowing fully were they are d regulators. Dis is actually d kind of government we are been waiting for. I urge all of us always choose d path of honour. Most of dis banks are not business inclined, cos their been operational is to provide avenue for corrupt government officials to starch our money in their banks and also help to keep in foriegn banks too for them. If u say u don't support government in dis, then it means u people are comfortable with d maltreatment of nigerians in the hand's of Chinese, Indians and Labanese notably. Let us always dwell in constructive criticism for the sake of our country as things will soon get better.
Re: Ngige's Threat To Banks; See Labour Acts Breached By Banks: Know Your Right!!! by kedeojo(m): 12:07am On Jun 14, 2016
A big kudos to the poster. Some of us knew all dis for long but political sentiment will not let us speak d truth. The same banks government grant bailout too in excess of 600 billion some years ago, will now believe dey can now disobeyed, knowing fully were they are d regulators. Dis is actually d kind of government we are been waiting for. I urge all of us to always choose d path of honour. Most of dis banks are not business inclined, cos their been operational is to provide avenue for corrupt government officials to starch our money in their banks and also help to keep in foriegn banks too for them. If u say u don't support government in dis, then it means u people are comfortable with d maltreatment of nigerians in the hand's of Chinese, Indians and Labanese notably. Let us always dwell in constructive criticism for the sake of our country as things will soon get better.
Re: Ngige's Threat To Banks; See Labour Acts Breached By Banks: Know Your Right!!! by jaz(m): 12:41am On Jun 14, 2016
A lawyer staff of a multinational audit firm quoted these sections relating to unionism and she got silenced right in the presence of everyone
Re: Ngige's Threat To Banks; See Labour Acts Breached By Banks: Know Your Right!!! by folaonhigh(m): 1:28am On Jun 14, 2016
the government needs to check manufacturing companies at agbara ogun state, they pay poor money and some of them are not in union. this has to be check.
Re: Ngige's Threat To Banks; See Labour Acts Breached By Banks: Know Your Right!!! by oluwaahmed: 5:17am On Jun 14, 2016
I think we nid 2 stop politicisin dis issue & call a spade a spade. How can sme1 rily be defendin d minister 4 his thoughtless comments. Dose dt wer sacked wer neither APC nor PDP, so y rush here 2 defend a dull comment 4rm a minister. Readin tru dis post I can say dat d likes of koboko69;omenka et all R all unemployed or work in d public sector. Yes d banks sack witout recourse 2 labor unions or laws, but is it a reason 2 withdraw deir licence? Do u knw ow many bankers will lose deir jobs if licence is withdrawn? Sme banks hav as much as 20,000 employees. So do d maths if 200 is sacked as againt d whole 20,000 sacked. Sme1 even unintelligent argued dt d govt will get sme oda bank 2 take ova d assest of d unlicensed bank or simply "nationalise it"( I ope u Dnt mean sell 2 tinubu grin). D FG cannot even allocate enuff money 2 states talkless of injectin funds 2 sustain anoda bank. Also wit corporate acquisitns staff of d acquired bank are seen as toxic assests & laid off eventually.
If Ngige had threatened sanctions it wld hav made a lota sense but d withdrawin license card actually made me lose respect 4 d man I tot was highly educated. Ow do u expct d banks 2 survive dis harsh economic trend wit inflatn @ abt 14% & smes closin shop err'day? Did d govt stabilize power, so dat banks won't spend billions on it evry month? D govt removed C.O.T; introduced TSA;no power, wer do u xpct d banks 2 now make d profit 4rm. Banks no longer lend cos bizs R not prospering, carry 20mill 4 fix deposit & chk ow much intrst u wld get; or rather still ow much is d govt sellin treasury bills now(i tink 8% 4 now). Pls I beg everybody unemployment is no joke. Dnt support any1 whose jagajaga policies will lead any1 @ hme. Dis is d time d govt has 2 step up & guide us outa dis mess. A rugged captain is known wen he sails outa rough sea successfully, he bcoms a legend.
Re: Ngige's Threat To Banks; See Labour Acts Breached By Banks: Know Your Right!!! by olabalo4al(m): 5:30am On Jun 14, 2016
That is nigeria for u, a clime where rights is being infringed on by some elements who wants to sabotage the nation for their pocket and all u see, is the non informed ones blinded with religious/ethnicity/tribalism extremist come here to rant....
Re: Ngige's Threat To Banks; See Labour Acts Breached By Banks: Know Your Right!!! by dfrost: 7:24am On Jun 14, 2016
koboko69:
Where are the people who almost beheaded Ngige for doing the right thing, particularly the PDP minions, and the IPAD yoots, who have even disowned Ngige for fighting for their rights. Why are they shamelessly and mysteriously peeping in those this thread and quietly walking out.

Lalasticlala mynd44 we need more opinions

koboko69 I concur with all your assertions but look at things from the other side of the divide too:

1. Has the government protected the rights of the employees ever since even when Labour intervenes? Do you think of there was a case where the government protected, people won't tap into such and use that as a precedent to use their rights?

2. What ever happened to dialogue instead of threatening?

3. Of course Ngige must have seen this coming so proactive measures of holding town hall meetings with stakeholders should have been the best option. What do you think?

Before answering, please keep an open mind. I'm not a politician nor partisan.
Re: Ngige's Threat To Banks; See Labour Acts Breached By Banks: Know Your Right!!! by hundredhundred: 7:25am On Jun 14, 2016
IsraeliAIRFORCE:
Devil calling saints names.

Lai Mohammed

Get lost, you are too proud and have no shame. Hypocrite
Re: Ngige's Threat To Banks; See Labour Acts Breached By Banks: Know Your Right!!! by koboko69: 7:28am On Jun 14, 2016
dfrost:

koboko69 I concur with all your assertions but look at things from the other side of the divide too:

1. Has the government protected the rights of the employees ever since even when Labour intervenes? Do you think of there was a case where the government protected, people won't tap into such and use that as a precedent to use their rights?

2. What ever happened to dialogue instead of threatening?

3. Of course Ngige must have seen this coming so proactive measures of holding town hall meetings with stakeholders should have been the best option. What do you think?

Before answering, please keep an open mind. I'm not a politician nor partisan.

The option was dialogue was already opened before. The minister made the directives that sackings be suspended and negotiations should go on first, not up to a week after another bank announced laying off staffs. That was what occassioned the threat. Read Ngige's statement again. This as been going on in the past, but no minister had ever taken any action. Ngige should be applauded for this.
Re: Ngige's Threat To Banks; See Labour Acts Breached By Banks: Know Your Right!!! by dfrost: 7:38am On Jun 14, 2016
koboko69:

The option was dialogue was already opened before. The minister made the directives that sackings be suspended and negotiations should go on first, not up to a week after another bank announced laying off staffs. That was what occassioned the threat. Read Ngige's statement again. This as been going on in the past, but no minister had ever taken any action. Ngige should be applauded for this.

Thanks for the promptness in replying. What of points 1 and 3 raised?
Re: Ngige's Threat To Banks; See Labour Acts Breached By Banks: Know Your Right!!! by koboko69: 7:54am On Jun 14, 2016
dfrost:

Thanks for the promptness in replying. What of points 1 and 3 raised?

Answered 3 already. As for num 1, if u read the news lately, you will see the bank have agreed to stop the sackings, as CBN and other stakeholders had a meeting with them.
You can read here http://tribuneonlineng.com/banks-agree-to-halt-mass-sack
This is the first time the government is taking proactive steps to stop this kind of mass sacking trend.
Re: Ngige's Threat To Banks; See Labour Acts Breached By Banks: Know Your Right!!! by themanderon: 8:28am On Jun 14, 2016
its sad that many years of military rule has left many of us with slave mentality, we don't even want to fight for our rights, we are just content with the bowl of porridge we are given in exchange for fighting for what is truly ours. until we start doing things the right way in this country we will continue to remain in the woods.

1 Like

Re: Ngige's Threat To Banks; See Labour Acts Breached By Banks: Know Your Right!!! by hajifaty: 8:46am On Jun 14, 2016
There is one thing that is certain in this country. Which is very obvious that 99 percent of Nigerians will remain fool and political bigot till the world end. If you try to correct them they call you all sort of names.

1 Like

Re: Ngige's Threat To Banks; See Labour Acts Breached By Banks: Know Your Right!!! by dfrost: 9:10am On Jun 14, 2016
koboko69:

This is the first time the government is taking proactive steps to stop this kind of mass sacking trend.

I applaud the move. Hope we sustain it. I'm also concerned about employees whose wages have been slashed and those whose salaries have been stopped close to for months now.

It's really a trying time for our economy. I hope we still provide food for our families By the grace of Almighty God.
Re: Ngige's Threat To Banks; See Labour Acts Breached By Banks: Know Your Right!!! by grandstar(m): 9:50am On Jun 14, 2016
koboko69:

Some OPEC countries have devalued their currency, how exactly has it helped their economy? Hmm, which remittances brought $21bn? If the government raked on $21bn asides oil money in 2014, Jonathan has a billion questions to ans grin

In b/w do u know the fx reserves in the countries u mentioned?

Nigeria didn't really have dollar shortage when oil fell during Yar'Adua's reign, why....ans is a robust foreign reserve still strong enough to sustain a 15months import needs of Nigerians.

You should be condemning Soludo rather than praising him. When the oil price collapsed rather than allow the naira to depreciate, he spent ab $20b defending the currency. Even the defence was ineffectual. The official rate was 122 while the black market fell to as low as 190.

Immediately Sanusi took over, he devalued the currency to 150. Immediately, the black market climbed to around 155. This ended the pressure on the naira.

Dollar shortages would have eventually occurred during Yaradua's time, if the oil price stayed low and Sanusi did not devalue, dollar shortages would have eventually occurred.

You are asking what benefits did some countries derived from devaluations.

You are asking the wrong question.

Whether 1+1=2 is beneficial or not, it still remains 2.

If your forex income is declining, your currency will weaken whether it is beneficial or not. That is the law.

The benefits of devaluations can easily be derived by Buhari's refusal to devalue.

First and foremost, their currencies have not crashed like the naira which is exchanging at 370 to the $.

The disparity between the official rate and black market is small, less than 5%.

There are no chronic dollar shortages.

Factories and companies are not closing up and sacking workers left, right and centre.

And most importantly, their economies are not plagued with a recession

1 Like

Re: Ngige's Threat To Banks; See Labour Acts Breached By Banks: Know Your Right!!! by iswallker(m): 10:13am On Jun 14, 2016
DMeanMan:

From your comment, it is easy to deduce that you can never champion a cause. No leader instinct, no zeal or push.

From your word, You are not Bold, So you can't stand for nothing, you can't hold your own.

You are just a directionlesss individual.

I deduced all this from your comment that was purely insensible and devoid of complete reasoning. Sorry sad

@dmeanman take it easy man, why you taking it out on me....am not the one who put the economy on recession... cheesy

and on the contrary, am an individual with focus and i champion a lot of courses. God will help us... cheesy
Re: Ngige's Threat To Banks; See Labour Acts Breached By Banks: Know Your Right!!! by AprokoNaija: 11:58am On Jun 14, 2016
koboko69:
Lol...Sure u can.
Thanks.
Re: Ngige's Threat To Banks; See Labour Acts Breached By Banks: Know Your Right!!! by dearsly(m): 4:42pm On Jun 14, 2016
MVLOX:

Its either u are an under age or u are just too stupid to knw wen adults re discussing a very serious issue....ODE....I would have asked God to give u sense but u practically nid more.... A new BRAIN

Dear Zombie!...Never quote me again!
I'm not ya mate!...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Senator Dino Melaye Mocks SGF Babachir Lawal Over His Suspension "Aje Kun Iya" / Premium Times Special Report On Road Projects Across Nigeria Under PMB / Dino Melaye And His Staff (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.