Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,522 members, 7,819,880 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:48 AM

Is Absence Of “True Federalism” The Problem Of Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Absence Of “True Federalism” The Problem Of Nigeria? (3957 Views)

Alex Ekwueme, Prof. Gana, Others Advocate True Federalism, Power Devolution.. / True Federalism, Its Advantages And Implications. / Only True Federalism Can Resolve Nigeria’s Problems – Ambode (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Absence Of “True Federalism” The Problem Of Nigeria? by PassingShot(m): 11:08am On Jun 14, 2016
This thread is my own contribution to this one https://www.nairaland.com/3162727/true-federalism-advantages-implications asking for discussion for and against true federalism as a system of government.

Let’s distinguish between the two most common systems of government.
1. Unitary System: In a unitary system, the central government has all the power. In a unitary system, the central government gets to decide what powers, if any, to give to the lower levels of government. Even if it gives them some power, it can always take it back. The lower levels of government have no right to their power.

2. Federal System: In a federal system, some powers are given to the central government and other powers are given to the lower levels of government (provinces or states) and the lower governments have a right to their powers. The central government cannot just take those powers away. Typically, there is a written constitution that tells what powers go to the national government and what powers go to the lower levels. This is what we have in Nigeria.
http://www.enotes.com/homework-help/wat-iz-differnce-between-unitary-federal-systems-294718

Now let’s look at the components that can make a federal system be termed “a true fiscal federal government”

Definition of Fiscal Federalism
At its most basic level, fiscal federalism attempts to define the division of governmental functions, and the financial relationship between, different levels of government (usually how federal or central governments fund state and local governments).
Imagine a Leave it to Beaver scenario: fiscal federalism might involve Dad (the federal government) making money, then handing it over to Mom (the state government) to distribute as she sees fit based on the needs of the family (the people) to buy groceries, pay the rent, give the kids allowances, go to the doctor, and so on (programs like government housing and health care).

Theory of Fiscal Federalism
The theory of fiscal federalism was originally developed by German-born American economist Richard Musgrave in 1959. Musgrave argued that federal government systems have the ability to solve many of the issues local governments face by providing the balance and stability needed to overcome disruptive issues like uneven distribution of wealth and lack of widely available resources. Musgrave further theorized that federal governments should manage a nation's money from the top and give it to states, who can distribute it locally as needed.

The United States government relies on fiscal federalism. In the United States, there exists a complex and highly bureaucratic relationship between states and the federal government to fund such vital aspects of daily life, as roads, schools, and health care. States can ask for (or be granted) money through federal 'grant-in-aids,' an example of fiscal federalism at work.

Prior to the end of the American Civil War in 1865, state proposals asking for federal funding were routinely shot down or vetoed by presidents for being unconstitutional (the 10th Amendment of the Constitution prohibits the federal government from intervening in state governance). That began to change in the latter part of the 19th Century, as federal funding policies moved further away from strict Constitutional adherence. The realities of operating a country with the size and influence of the United States made co-dependency between federal and state governments necessary, and late 19th century technology, like railroads and telegraphs, made it possible.
http://study.com/academy/lesson/fiscal-federalism-definition-theory-examples.html
Re: Is Absence Of “True Federalism” The Problem Of Nigeria? by PassingShot(m): 11:08am On Jun 14, 2016
From Wikipedia:
“As a subfield of public economics, fiscal federalism is concerned with "understanding which functions and instruments are best centralized and which are best placed in the sphere of decentralized levels of government" (Oates, 1999). In other words, it is the study of how competencies (expenditure side) and fiscal instruments (revenue side) are allocated across different (vertical) layers of the administration. An important part of its subject matter is the system of transfer payments or grants by which a central government shares its revenues with lower levels of government.

Federal governments use this power to enforce national rules and standards. There are two primary types of transfers, conditional and unconditional. A conditional transfer from a federal body to a province, or other territory, involves a certain set of conditions. If the lower level of government is to receive this type of transfer, it must agree to the spending instructions of the federal government. An example of this would be the Canada Health Transfer.
An unconditional grant is usually a cash or tax point transfer, with no spending instructions. An example of this would be a federal equalization transfer. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiscal_federalism

From the above, the components and principles of a true fiscal federalism are:
1. The Federal Government makes the money
2. The Federal Government Shares its revenue through conditional and unconditional transfers to the states and LG based on certain parameters.
3. Providing grants (what we now know as bail-out) to institutions and states
4. Providing balance and stability needed to overcome disruptive issues like uneven distribution of wealth and lack of widely available resources.

Looking at what we practice in Nigeria and theory/principles of fiscal federalism, I become confused on what the clamorers for true federalism actually mean or want.
Within two months of PMB administration, bail-outs were provided for states and there is another plan to provide another round of conditional grants to states that need them. Nigeria has bailed out some financial institutions in the past to avoid depositors losing their hard-earned savings.

We don’t need to waste our precious time to know why Nigeria is not working as we desire. It is not absence of fiscal federalism but absence of bringing leaders to account.

A few examples will buttress my summation:
1. James Ibori stole Delta state blind and he’s serving jail term in UK. Is it absence of true federalism that makes it possible for him to still have a cult-like followership in Delta state despite the evidence against him?

2. Alamieyeseigha was found guilty (he actually pleaded guilty) of mind-boggling financial crimes and was sentenced for two years. He was later granted state pardon by GEJ which meant his crimes were forgiven. Until his “death” he had supporters who were ready to die for his course. Was it absence of fiscal federalism that’s responsible?

3. Igbinedion, Saraki, Bode George, Jolly Nyame, Akala, Ali Modu Sheriff, Ladoja, and many other state governors were reported to be corrupt but they all have cult-like followership. Again, it was not absence of fiscal federalism that’s responsible for them having the die-hard supporters despite the corruption allegations on them.

4. Bayelsa is about the smallest state in Nigeria but she receives billions of naira in monthly allocation and additional 13% derivation allocation for being an oil-producing state yet the state, from what we read, is nothing to write home about. Just like many other states in the country, it lacks good roads, potable water, electricity, good schools, and above all the state cannot pay salaries of its workers just as some others. Was it absence of “true federalism” that prevented Bayelsa state from saving when she had surplus allocations from the federal account?

Absence of “true federalism” does not prevent any state from developing infrastructural needs of the state.

Absence of “true federalism” does not stop any state from improving the internally generated revenues of the state.

Absence of “true federalism” does not stop any state from investing her surplus earnings on other money-yielding ventures.

Absence of “true federalism” was not responsible for Nigeria’s failure to have diversified her economy since ten or five years ago.

In my own opinion, Nigeria’s problems are a result of:
1. Absence of sincerity of purpose on the part of our leaders
2. Lack of political will to do the right things always.
3. Failure of followers to demand for accountability from their leaders
4. Religion and ethnic bigotry, among others

Should more powers be given to states (what type of powers are we even talking about here?), I have no doubt that the state governors will behave worse than now that they have limited powers. Then, they will loot their state treasury without batting an eye and terrorize their political opponents and outspoken citizens as they like.

In conclusion, I believe Nigeria already has what she requires to succeed if we are determined to. We have the extant laws but we don’t follow them. We have well-spelt out penalties for different offences but we don’t apply them. The laws the present administration has used to recover some looted funds have been there since about fifteen years ago. Why were they not fully implemented in many of those years?
I am fully in support of peaceful balkanization of the entity called Nigeria but I have no doubt that absence of “true federalism” is not the reason for our challenges.

Lalasticlala, Seun, Mynd44, QuotaSystem, Omenka, Modath, TonyeBarcanista, Beremx, Obiageli

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Absence Of “True Federalism” The Problem Of Nigeria? by ricsman(m): 11:09am On Jun 14, 2016
wouldn't it be so fantastic if this is ur sweet points are added to the one u mentioned above, instead of this thread.

2 Likes

Re: Is Absence Of “True Federalism” The Problem Of Nigeria? by chriskosherbal(m): 11:09am On Jun 14, 2016
Hmmm well written.

2 Likes

Re: Is Absence Of “True Federalism” The Problem Of Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:12am On Jun 14, 2016
Yes. Go Suck Your God(asshole) If You Ain't Comfortable With It

1 Like

Re: Is Absence Of “True Federalism” The Problem Of Nigeria? by Sparrow13: 11:17am On Jun 14, 2016
our problem in Nigeria is not governance but lack of sincerity and patriotism to the nation
even if true federalism should be practice some regions will still be problem because they don't control the centre

2 Likes

Re: Is Absence Of “True Federalism” The Problem Of Nigeria? by bonechamberlain(m): 11:18am On Jun 14, 2016
The major problem of Nigeria is the 1999 constitution, which was imposed by the cabals who have hijacked this country.

1 Like

Re: Is Absence Of “True Federalism” The Problem Of Nigeria? by ricsman(m): 11:19am On Jun 14, 2016
There is no dispute to the points U've raised here, but let the truth be told....this system of government we are practising now has made us lazy. It has made us"criminals" (get into that's sit of power to know if u are not... that's the Nigeria syndrome).... what are mine saying sef.... WE NEED RESTRUCTURING... which ever name its called matters little to me.
Re: Is Absence Of “True Federalism” The Problem Of Nigeria? by modath(f): 11:25am On Jun 14, 2016
Passingshot,

First thing first, this contraption of unitary federalism isn't working for us, the feeding bottle unproductive system isn't working!! It allows for loopholes for laggards to run and hide under.

I have arrived at a point where i realised that the major problem beseiging these mismanaged states extend beyond the lack of foresight and greed of these administrators; A system of partisan political structure that turns state governors to party activities financiers and state HOA to rubber stamps does not allow for progress, accountability and fairness...

I also don't think federalism will solve the cluster bleep of problems we have, a regional government with smaller self governing components is the way forward.. Superstates in the region will take care of the less endowned parts in the same region, we can't have states in the new arrangement, rather local governments will be totally empowered like it's global best practices..

The little i know (experienced) about the west is that LGs are the bedrock of developments, that's why we can see LAPD (Los Angeles) , SFPD (San Francisco) etc in the state of California as against Washington sending officers to manage states policing.....

*I don't want to write disjointed epistle but the system is the cause of so much "thievery" *

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Absence Of “True Federalism” The Problem Of Nigeria? by joseph1832(m): 11:28am On Jun 14, 2016
Lezzlie, wasn't this what we debated on about three weeks ago?

1 Like

Re: Is Absence Of “True Federalism” The Problem Of Nigeria? by PassingShot(m): 11:30am On Jun 14, 2016
ricsman:
There is no dispute to the points U've raised here, but let the truth be told....this system of government we are practising now has made us lazy. It has made us"criminals" (get into that's sit of power to know if u are not... that's the Nigeria syndrome).... what are mine saying sef.... WE NEED RESTRUCTURING... which ever name its called matters little to me.
Restructuring is not the solution to our problems. Bringing people to account is.

Irrespective of the type of government we practice, wicked leaders will still perpetuate their wickedness.

1 Like

Re: Is Absence Of “True Federalism” The Problem Of Nigeria? by PassingShot(m): 11:32am On Jun 14, 2016
ricsman:
wouldn't it be so fantastic if this is ur sweet points are added to the one u mentioned above, instead of this thread.
This deserves a separate thread in my opinion.

The points will not be seen by more than 3/4 of the forumites they're intended for.
Re: Is Absence Of “True Federalism” The Problem Of Nigeria? by IHEJIRIKAisBOKO: 11:34am On Jun 14, 2016
The disintergration of Nigeria is an inevitable eventuality
Re: Is Absence Of “True Federalism” The Problem Of Nigeria? by PassingShot(m): 11:36am On Jun 14, 2016
IHEJIRIKAisBOKO:
The disintergration of Nigeria is an unavoidable eventuality
I wish it can happen peacefully. But there is strength in togetherness. tongue
Re: Is Absence Of “True Federalism” The Problem Of Nigeria? by Standing5(m): 11:37am On Jun 14, 2016
Yes
Re: Is Absence Of “True Federalism” The Problem Of Nigeria? by Standing5(m): 11:41am On Jun 14, 2016
IHEJIRIKAisBOKO:
The disintergration of Nigeria is an inevitable eventuality
It may be, but for justice to be done it has to be as soon as possible. Whats the use of separating the parasites after it has 'killed' its host?
Re: Is Absence Of “True Federalism” The Problem Of Nigeria? by Lezzlie(m): 12:02pm On Jun 14, 2016
joseph1832:
Lez.zlie, wasn't this what we debated on about three weeks ago?
Yes, we did in that retracted thread Mimzy wrote about enhancing and enriching our political participation.

I didn't read this piece exhaustively not for its length but for its accademic nature.

But I still stand that the absence of true federalism remains a strong deterrent to not only our political health but also our socio-economic and ethno-religious stability.

Federalism isn't just another choice of governance, it is the only known system where a heterogeneous and diversified people have been known to thrive economically and culturally. The nearest option is a confederation.

Nigeria is a quasi-federation, tilting towards full blown unitary system.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Absence Of “True Federalism” The Problem Of Nigeria? by Babacele: 12:05pm On Jun 14, 2016
modath:

Ayam on ma way...
no visa ooo
Re: Is Absence Of “True Federalism” The Problem Of Nigeria? by PassingShot(m): 12:23pm On Jun 14, 2016
Lezzlie:
Yes, we did in that retracted thread Mimzy wrote about enhancing and enriching our political participation.

I didn't read this piece exhaustively not for its length but for its accademic nature.

But I still stand that the absence of true federalism remains a strong deterrent to not only our political health but also our socio-economic and ethno-religious stability.

Federalism isn't just another choice of governance, it is the only known system where a heterogeneous and diversified people have been known to thrive economically and culturally. The nearest option is a confederation.

Nigeria is a quasi-federation, tilting towards full blown unitary system.

How is Nigeria tilting towards unitary system?
What ingredients of fiscal federalism are missing in ours?
Re: Is Absence Of “True Federalism” The Problem Of Nigeria? by DelGardo: 12:36pm On Jun 14, 2016
Some of the biggest policy mistakes in this country over the years have come in the wake of deceptive chant of one word solutions to hydra headed problems.

There was a time when the buzz word was "de-regulation" of the banking sector. Before Babangida did it we had the ACBs and CCBs of this world. Next thing there were a million banks and a billion bank failures... trillion tears shed.

Now the players are back with a new word "Federalism", yet no one knows exactly what that means.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Absence Of “True Federalism” The Problem Of Nigeria? by greatiyk4u(m): 12:48pm On Jun 14, 2016
ricsman:

I quite disagree with you on the point that the system of Government we operate is what is making us lazy...........

Lack of political will plus patriotism from both the leaders and the led is one of the major causes of our failure

This is the reason why some states like ebonyi, Kaduna,Abia are doing better now even with the decline in allocations.....the only reason 4 this surprise change is the will of the leaders

In my opinion, INEC is the major hand holding our progress down as a nation..........a sincere and truly independent INEC will put Nigeria on the path of glory since elections in Nigeria are not won by electorates but rigging

1 Like

Re: Is Absence Of “True Federalism” The Problem Of Nigeria? by PassingShot(m): 1:03pm On Jun 14, 2016
greatiyk4u:

I quite disagree with you on the point that the system of Government we operate is what is making us lazy...........

Lack of political will plus patriotism from both the leaders and the led is one of the major causes of our failure

This is the reason why some states like ebonyi, Kaduna,Abia are doing better now even with the decline in allocations.....the only reason 4 this surprise change is the will of the leaders

In my opinion, INEC is the major hand holding our progress down as a nation..........a sincere and truly independent INEC will put Nigeria on the path of glory since elections in Nigeria are not won by electorates but rigging
There is little INEC can do to help the system. What can INEC achieve with a people (read political thugs) determined to install a rogue who who has bought them with looted money? We saw how people were killed and maimed in Rivers and Bayelsa because of election. We citizens are the problem not the system.

1 Like

Re: Is Absence Of “True Federalism” The Problem Of Nigeria? by Lezzlie(m): 1:19pm On Jun 14, 2016
PassingShot:

How is Nigeria tilting towards unitary system?
What ingredients of fiscal federalism are missing in ours?
The federating Units are just an extension of the centre. Local government are smothered and obliterated by the composing units.

The judiciary is still an apron string to the Executive.

The composing units aren't economically viable which is the one of the cardinal principles of creating states.

Abuja feeds the states. The police is central in nature and operation and the governor being chief security officer of his state is an official obscurity.

We aren't a federation.

2 Likes

Re: Is Absence Of “True Federalism” The Problem Of Nigeria? by SWG25: 1:35pm On Jun 14, 2016
There is no such thing as true federalism. Nigerians love being faddish with words even when they don't know what it means

It is either federalism or any of its known variants like confederalism. Adding true to the word federalism doesn't make it sound more important.

Nigeria currently practices a unitary system of government that is inefficient, ineffective, troublesome, risky and porous. Federal systems are typically decentralized but Nigeria isn't. Nigeria's system of government is a unitarily deconcentrated government which cannot work in a socioculturally pluralistic country like Nigeria. It has caused chaos and it will continue cause chaos and retrogression .

5 Likes

Re: Is Absence Of “True Federalism” The Problem Of Nigeria? by PassingShot(m): 1:51pm On Jun 14, 2016
Lezzlie:
The federating Units are just an extension of the centre. Local government are smothered and obliterated by the composing units.

The judiciary is still an apron string to the Executive.

The composing units aren't economically viable which is the one of the cardinal principles of creating states.

Abuja feeds the states. The police is central in nature and operation and the governor being chief security officer of his state is an official obscurity.

We aren't a federation.
Apart from the issue of local govt, all other points you raised are invalid.

The essence of federalism is to balance resources and by extension development amongst the federating states. Each state doesn't have to be independently viable.

Again, Nigeria is not matured for state police. One can only imagine what the corrupt state governors will do with control of such security organ.

I know you've not taken your time to read the piece but I bet you will learn one or two new things if you do.

2 Likes

Re: Is Absence Of “True Federalism” The Problem Of Nigeria? by PassingShot(m): 1:54pm On Jun 14, 2016
SWG25:
There is no such thing as true federalism. Nigerians love being faddish with words even when they don't know what it means

It is either federalism or any of its known variants like confederalism. Adding true to the word federalism doesn't make it sound more important.

Nigeria currently practices a unitary system of government that is inefficient, ineffective, troublesome, risky and porous. Federal systems are typically decentralized but Nigeria isn't. Nigeria's system of government is a unitarily deconcentrated government which cannot work in a socioculturally pluralistic country like Nigeria. It has caused chaos and it will continue cause chaos and retrogression .
What makes us to be a unitary system?

That our Constitution doesn't give certain powers to the states?

That we don't have the three arms of Executive, Judiciary and Legislative?

I am amazed to read that ours is unitary form of government.
Re: Is Absence Of “True Federalism” The Problem Of Nigeria? by Lezzlie(m): 4:41pm On Jun 14, 2016
PassingShot:

(1) Apart from the issue of local govt, all other points you raised are invalid.

(2)The essence of federalism is to balance resources and by extension development amongst the federating states. Each state doesn't have to be independently viable.

(3)Again, Nigeria is not matured for state police. One can only imagine what the corrupt state governors will do with control of such security organ.

I know you've not taken your time to read the piece but I bet you will learn one or two new things if you do.

[b]1) The local government issue is a cardinal breach that tore the pretentious cloak of Nigeria's illusionary federalism

2) The essense of federalism isn't about a balance of resources. The essence of federalism is a different and diversified people coming together to live by their own terms and agreement, not to be spoon-fed by Abuja. First off, the 1999 constitution is an affront to federalism.

In a federation, states are to decide what powers we are ceeding to Abuja and what powers are we retaining. That was never the case with Nigeria. The cardinal qualification for a state becoming part of the federation is to show economic viability. Each federating unit is to own their own constitution.

If Nigeria were to be a true practising federation, you won't hear of the clamour of more state creation. We scream for more states because as soon as these states are created they are latched onto the south-south sustained breast of Abuja and they suckle away like giant babies.

A state can and should negotiate economic pact with other states or the federal government after it became bankrupt after creation, and not prior to becoming a state.

In a federation, no state is created to be dependent on the centre without a mutual agreement. The 36 states and FCT wait on Abuja's allocation like Samsung, HTC, LG etc wait for Google to release Android's latest OS before knowing where their economic lives are going.

3) Nigeria not being mature for state police is pure sentiments. It is justifying a failure of execution and application on emotional assumptions. Not being mature for state police is an observation after decade of bastardised federalism.

State police is a prerequisite to the formation of a federation. It can't be argued away with a subjective view of immaturity . it is a logical fallacy. Please in a federation, the federating units are more or less independent entities. The right to police formation is cardinal, undeniable in a federating unit.

The principles of federalism are cold hard facts of national life, they aren't based on sentiments or Abuja's notion of Equity.

[/b]

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Absence Of “True Federalism” The Problem Of Nigeria? by Kingspin(m): 4:53pm On Jun 14, 2016
True federalism to develop Nigeria because the best shall come out from the states. Some state may choose to develop as a tourist destination for Nigerians. Development don start o.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Absence Of “True Federalism” The Problem Of Nigeria? by Lezzlie(m): 4:55pm On Jun 14, 2016
Kingspin:
True federalism to develop Nigeria because the best shall come out from the state.
I think so too.
Re: Is Absence Of “True Federalism” The Problem Of Nigeria? by cocoduck: 5:32pm On Jun 14, 2016
PassingShot:

Apart from the issue of local govt, all other points you raised are invalid.

The essence of federalism is to balance resources and by extension development amongst the federating states. Each state doesn't have to be independently viable.

Again, Nigeria is not matured for state police. One can only imagine what the corrupt state governors will do with control of such security organ.

Nonsense! You haters of humanity always point to this when ever restructuring is mooted, you are among those who feed fat from this yeye system that is good for small countries like Togo, First of all why do corrupt people always win in Nigeria? Ever after the genocide which government has not been tagged corrupt? is it not because they have nothing else to think of other then going to Abuja cap in hand every 30 or so days to collect money, which there are little or no checks and balances, if it were that they will use their brains to think inwards to make the state or region viable there will be no room for corruption, if in my village we need something and wee are paying taxes we will always make the rulers to be on their toes, to make sure they do their jobs, is it not in an idle mind that the devil operates? The standards and qualifications have been lowers so much that merit no longer counts, godfathers everywhere, because a professional will never stoop so low to be appointed, only quacks and impostors do that, and I am sure you are related to one of them.
Re: Is Absence Of “True Federalism” The Problem Of Nigeria? by iykopy: 5:47pm On Jun 14, 2016
they have sent their agent of darkness to start preaching to us how staying this way is best thing for us. for those who want to remain in this situation of centralization shud continue and let those who do not fancy the system to go. cheesy cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Absence Of “True Federalism” The Problem Of Nigeria? by meccuno: 6:20pm On Jun 14, 2016
iykopy:
they have sent their agent of darkness to start preaching to us how staying this way is best thing for us. for those who want to remain in this situation of centralization shud continue and let those who do not fancy the system to go. cheesy cheesy
haahaha!! Don't mind them. Federalism is still the way to go. Nobody is a slave unto the other person. We are all equals. But the hausa fulanis would say other wise. Both majority and minority tribes are equal on paper. But the 1999 constitution has made the south to be a slave to the North. Tell me why we have sharia in our constitution? Why do we have arabic inscriptions on our bank notes and army uniforms. This system of govt was created in other for the North to have absolute power and control over the "infidels".....we down south should open our eyes wide open or we would spend another 100 years without achieving any thing. Federalism is the way to go......we move @ the pace that is suitable for each state and have more powers delegated to the states so that we can grow @ our own pace. So anybody who wants a 21st century state is obliged to do so.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Explosion At Mm International Airport Happening Now! / Chris Ngige Defends Himself: Maintained Fayose Has Done Well / See The Good Roads In Epe, Done By Former Lagos State Gov - Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.