Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,771 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:55 AM

How The Bible Teaches Us To Recognize False Prophets - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How The Bible Teaches Us To Recognize False Prophets (8400 Views)

What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices / Benny Hinn & Pat Robertson, The False Prophets Of The U.S 2012 Election / Major False Prophets In Nigeria - Must Watch Video added to last page of article (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How The Bible Teaches Us To Recognize False Prophets by KunleOshob(m): 8:29am On Sep 04, 2009
1 Peter 5:2-3:
2 Care for the flock that God has entrusted to you. Watch over it willingly, not grudgingly—[b]not for what you will get out of it, but because you are eager to serve God. 3 Don’t lord it over the people assigned to your care,[/b] but lead them by your own good example.

A true prophet would adhere to the teachings above. Is your pastor lording it over you
Re: How The Bible Teaches Us To Recognize False Prophets by KunleOshob(m): 8:33am On Sep 04, 2009
2 Peter 2:1-3:
The Danger of False Teachers
1 But there were also false prophets in Israel, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will cleverly teach destructive heresies and even deny the Master who bought them. In this way, they will bring sudden destruction on themselves. 2 Many will follow their evil teaching and shameful immorality. And because of these teachers, the way of truth will be slandered. 3 In their greed they will make up clever lies to get hold of your money. But God condemned them long ago, and their destruction will not be delayed.
Re: How The Bible Teaches Us To Recognize False Prophets by KunleOshob(m): 8:38am On Sep 04, 2009
2 Peter 2:10-19:
10 He is especially hard on those who follow their own twisted sexual desire, and who despise authority.
These false teachers are proud and arrogant, daring even to scoff at supernatural beings without so much as trembling. 11 But the angels, who are far greater in power and strength, do not dare to bring from the Lord a charge of blasphemy against those supernatural beings.

12 These false teachers are like unthinking animals, creatures of instinct, born to be caught and destroyed. They scoff at things they do not understand, and like animals, they will be destroyed. 13 Their destruction is their reward for the harm they have done. They love to indulge in evil pleasures in broad daylight. They are a disgrace and a stain among you. They delight in deception even as they eat with you in your fellowship meals. 14[b] They commit adultery with their eyes, and their desire for sin is never satisfied[/b]. They lure unstable people into sin, and they are well trained in greed. They live under God’s curse. 15 They have wandered off the right road and followed the footsteps of Balaam son of Beor,[d] who loved to earn money by doing wrong. 16 But Balaam was stopped from his mad course when his donkey rebuked him with a human voice.

17 These people are as useless as dried-up springs or as mist blown away by the wind. They are doomed to blackest darkness. 18 They brag about themselves with empty, foolish boasting. With an appeal to twisted sexual desires, they lure back into sin those who have barely escaped from a lifestyle of deception. 19[b] They promise freedom, but they themselves are slaves of sin and corruption. [/b] For you are a slave to whatever controls you.
Re: How The Bible Teaches Us To Recognize False Prophets by abose(m): 6:12pm On Sep 04, 2009
God bless you Kunle for the good job you're doing to educate some of our folks whose gear remain stuck on "stupid". I used to think NIDOs were more independent thinkers than those of us back home and now I know that was a wrong assumption given what we've all seen on here. At the end of the day, we have to realize who we really should be serving - God and not some pastor or whatever they want to call themselves these days. Are we that "busy" with trying to make a living to reason correctly? God help us all.
Re: How The Bible Teaches Us To Recognize False Prophets by Nobody: 8:44pm On Sep 04, 2009
@Poster, my brother thank you so much i have learnt a lot from this thread. I come from an Ecwa background but now attend another church for proximity. However some of the doctrines i take with a pinch of salt because i know what God says. Its sad that a Pastor will declar to a group of gullible people that they will not die and they will believe it being ignorant of the fact that even the pastor has no power over his own life
Re: How The Bible Teaches Us To Recognize False Prophets by petres007(m): 8:51pm On Sep 04, 2009
aisha2:

@Poster, my brother thank you so much i have learnt a lot from this thread. I come from an Ecwa background but now attend another church for proximity. However some of the doctrines i take with a pinch of salt because i know what God says. Its sad that a Pastor will declar to a group of gullible people that they will not die and they will believe it being ignorant of the fact that even the pastor has no power over his own life

I never cease to be amazed when I see this happen. undecided

Just recently, a friend of mine who's currently visiting Abuja and had to go to church (Christ Embassy) with her aunt gisted me part of the "sermon" they were treated to: "You cannot be broke." "The born again child of God cannot be broke." "If you're broke it means you've been listening to the wrong stuff." grin grin grin

I still don't understand how these guys manage to twist the bible to preach crap like this. undecided
Re: How The Bible Teaches Us To Recognize False Prophets by olabowale(m): 9:01pm On Sep 04, 2009
aisha2, leave Islamic name and take a name from the many names of christianity. i think it is a deceit to continue to bear Aisha! my mother took the name Mariam after she became a muslim woman. and my wife took Zainab as her name. neither of these women bore a typical christian name like deborah, ester or others from the heritage of judaism, since christians always get themselves in the same string tie.

former christians who became muslims here in the USA often take a muslim name. they abandone paul, etc and take up Jabir, Mas'ud, etc! do same.
Re: How The Bible Teaches Us To Recognize False Prophets by skyone(m): 9:15am On Sep 05, 2009
olabowale:

aisha2, leave Islamic name and take a name from the many names of christianity. i think it is a deceit to continue to bear Aisha! my mother took the name Mariam after she became a muslim woman. and my wife took Zainab as her name. neither of these women bore a typical christian name like deborah, ester or others from the heritage of judaism, since christians always get themselves in the same string tie.

former christians who became muslims here in the USA often take a muslim name. they abandone paul, etc and take up Jabir, Mas'ud, etc! do same.

Inapperent, baseless and lack of biblical understanding as well as ignorant to the Christiandom.
Re: How The Bible Teaches Us To Recognize False Prophets by olabowale(m): 10:25am On Sep 05, 2009
if am not a yoruba boy, say if am efik, it will inappropriate from to bear Olabowale, especially when i made it known to the whole world (WWW) that am an efik boy. no? skyone; dami ni owun!

who is teach about the recognization of fake slash real prophet(s)? Jesus was the teacher or aomebody before him? if it was jesus, it gives us insight that he was saying there would be at least one real prophet (AS) to come, and before he comes, there may be at least a pretender, his reason, at least to me is giving you what is the litmus for real versus fake of the future.

you now have the flor, skyone.
Re: How The Bible Teaches Us To Recognize False Prophets by Nobody: 10:57am On Sep 05, 2009
Alhaji, aisha is an arabic name not just a muslim name and as you know there are several arab christians who haven't swallowed the poison called islam. How is your self imposed starvation going?
Re: How The Bible Teaches Us To Recognize False Prophets by petres007(m): 12:54pm On Sep 05, 2009
olabowale:

who is teach about the recognization of fake slash real prophet(s)? Jesus was the teacher or aomebody before him? if it was jesus, it gives us insight that he was saying there would be at least one real prophet (AS) to come, and before he comes, there may be at least a pretender, his reason, at least to me is giving you what is the litmus for real versus fake of the future.

you now have the flor, skyone.

Anybody there pondering what I'm pondering

this olabowale guy sounds like abuzola to me
Re: How The Bible Teaches Us To Recognize False Prophets by KunleOshob(m): 2:08pm On Sep 05, 2009
Jude 1:4:
4 I say this because some ungodly people have wormed their way into your churches, saying that God’s marvelous grace allows us to live immoral lives. The condemnation of such people was recorded long ago, for they have denied our only Master and Lord, Jesus Christ.

Jude 1:11-13:
11 What sorrow awaits them! For they follow in the footsteps of Cain, who killed his brother. Like Balaam, they deceive people for money. And like Korah, they perish in their rebellion.
12 When these people eat with you in your fellowship meals commemorating the Lord’s love, they are like dangerous reefs that can shipwreck you. They are like shameless shepherds who care only for themselves. They are like clouds blowing over the land without giving any rain. They are like trees in autumn that are doubly dead, for they bear no fruit and have been pulled up by the roots. 13 They are like wild waves of the sea, churning up the foam of their shameful deeds. They are like wandering stars, doomed forever to blackest darkness.

Jude 1:16:
16 These people are grumblers and complainers, living only to satisfy their desires. They brag loudly about themselves, and they flatter others to get what they want.
Re: How The Bible Teaches Us To Recognize False Prophets by KunleOshob(m): 2:12pm On Sep 05, 2009
1 John 4:1:
1 Dear friends, do not believe everyone who claims to speak by the Spirit. You must test them to see if the spirit they have comes from God. For there are many false prophets in the world.

1 John 4:5:
5 Those false teachers belong to this world, so they speak from the world’s viewpoint, and the world listens to them. [they tell the congregation what they want to hear like prosperity and miracles and they listen to them]
Re: How The Bible Teaches Us To Recognize False Prophets by skyone(m): 2:20pm On Sep 05, 2009
KunleOshob:

1 John 4:5:
5 Those false teachers belong to this world, so they speak from the world’s viewpoint, and the world listens to them. [they tell the congregation what they want to hear like prosperity and miracles and they listen to them]

This's what you need and not flipping about sir.
Re: How The Bible Teaches Us To Recognize False Prophets by saalma(f): 10:47pm On Sep 06, 2009
the Bible says TEST THE SPIRITS TO SEE IF THEY ARE FROM GOD (1JOHN 4:1)
Re: How The Bible Teaches Us To Recognize False Prophets by olabowale(m): 1:30am On Sep 07, 2009
@Saalma: So spirit here is equal to "prophet?"
Re: How The Bible Teaches Us To Recognize False Prophets by Nobody: 9:05am On Sep 07, 2009
olabowale:

@Saalma: So spirit here is equal to "prophet?"

Mohammed's spirit as been tested and proven NOT to be of God. He exihibits the fruits of philandering[13 wives] with speciality in paedophilia, hypocrisy, Paganism and mass murder [in the name of jihad] which as continued to inspire millions of evil doers over the centuries. Surely the fruits of a man who came from God cannot possibly be this evil and corrupt.
Re: How The Bible Teaches Us To Recognize False Prophets by olabowale(m): 8:26pm On Sep 07, 2009
@Jagoon: I think you answered my question that 1 John 4:1 is simply "good spirit" is a prophet of God., as the litmus is applied.

"Bad spirit' is a "false prophet", therefore is no really a prophet of God, but in essence, a liar.

Please reconfirm the above. I want a clear answer, because I need to hold you at the wrist, not at the elbow! Then I can even respond to your above, if I want to, or just ignore it altogether and chalk it to your multiple heads god, playing with your mind, while you do not know which head is directing you when you wrote the above. I am sure its hard on you that you are listening and taking in orders from three gods all at a go! Ndo.
Re: How The Bible Teaches Us To Recognize False Prophets by saalma(f): 10:29pm On Sep 08, 2009
@olabowale: Spirit isn't equal to prophet; but when a prophet preaches a false doctrine, u know its definitely no the Holy Spirit who's behind him. in other words, test the spiriot behind the prophet. besides, the Bible says that the Holy Spirit bears witness with our spirit. this means that when your own spirit or the Holy Spirit in you refuses a prophet, to you he's false
Re: How The Bible Teaches Us To Recognize False Prophets by olabowale(m): 2:56am On Sep 09, 2009
@Saalma:« #50 on: Yesterday at 10:29:44 PM »
@olabowale: Spirit isn't equal to prophet; but when a prophet preaches a false doctrine, u know its definitely no the Holy Spirit who's behind him. in other words, test the spiriot behind the prophet. besides, the Bible says that the Holy Spirit bears witness with our spirit. this means that when your own spirit or the Holy Spirit in you refuses a prophet, to you he's false
Sisi Saalma, Jagoon is refusing to answer because I am right. You confirmed Spirit equals to Prophet as expressed in John, based on the topic of the thread! You tried to mix it up, and you lost yourself and any logical mind because of your personal explanation that has no bearing on the topic. It you are talking about holy spirit, the Bible says that its been around all along. Then its just on pentecostal day, if he was the another Comforter, so you have a big decision to make; comforter for a moment or what has been around for a while.

Finally, spirit was being discussed and it is not holy spirit. Read John again, if it is holy spirit, should there be a test and why should holy spirit be the bearer of witness with your spirit, when we are testing fake or real prophet, unless you are the one being tested as a prophet. No?
Re: How The Bible Teaches Us To Recognize False Prophets by timmy7(m): 7:19am On Sep 09, 2009
''Test all spirits, '' am afraid d spirit behind mohammad has been tested and we know d result, FAKE!!! angry
Re: How The Bible Teaches Us To Recognize False Prophets by KunleOshob(m): 8:28am On Sep 09, 2009
@Olabowale
What exactly are you ranting about Is this revelation on false prophets shaking the foundations of your beliefs?
Re: How The Bible Teaches Us To Recognize False Prophets by ukotmi: 1:15pm On Sep 09, 2009
Kunle,
Is it the same Bible you kicked against in another thread that you are now basing your teachings. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed undecided undecided undecided. You are getting me confused. I thought you said that the Bible contains about 300,000 errors. Have you identified the errors and effected the corrections before using it as the bases for your teachings? You need to do that first in order to have a good ground for using passages from it to teach us.How do we know if you are teaching us error? shocked shocked shocked shocked.
Please stop getting us confused.
Re: How The Bible Teaches Us To Recognize False Prophets by KunleOshob(m): 1:42pm On Sep 09, 2009
ukotmi:

Kunle,
Is it the same Bible you kicked against in another thread that you are now basing your teachings. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed undecided undecided undecided. You are getting me confused. I thought you said that the Bible contains about 300,000 errors. Have you identified the errors and effected the corrections before using it as the bases for your teachings? You need to do that first in order to have a good ground for using passages from it to teach us.How do we know if you are teaching us error? shocked shocked shocked shocked.
Please stop getting us confused.

You need not quote me out of context, what i said was that the KJV is reported to contain up to 300,000 translation errors, translation being the key word. The KJV is a word fr word translation of the bible and as such certain words are not adequately expressed when used in another language. However if you didn't notice i did not quote from the KJV. Personally i find the KJV a bit cumbersome and difficult to understand becos of the old english it was written in which in it self could lead to errors in understanding. For instance the "God head" in the KJV is being mis-translated to mean Trinity by some christian while a cursory look at the bible concordance translates it to mean God almighty. My brother you should not only read the bible but you should study it and all it entails to have a much better understanding
Re: How The Bible Teaches Us To Recognize False Prophets by abose(m): 2:03pm On Sep 09, 2009
An Efik/Ibibio "olabowale",
Is the water in New York really that bad to affect your ability to make any sense in your posts?
Re: How The Bible Teaches Us To Recognize False Prophets by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:51am On Sep 10, 2009
@KunleOshob,

Having read your posts over the years, I think I have a fair understanding in what you believe:

[list]
[li]You believe that the Bible is not totally inspired of God[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]You believe that there are other books apart from the Bible that are divinely inspired[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]You believe that the RCC is responsible for the collection of the books of the Bible, which you claim are now 73 books, including the apocrypha[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]You believe that the Bible contradicts itself[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]You don't believe in the Deity of Christ, nor the doctrine of the trinity.[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]You don't believe that the Bible is infallible, nor complete yet, you use it to buttress your points[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]You believe that 10% of your income should not be paid as tithe in the church but you believe that you are allowed to give 100% of your income as offering.  That is, tithes is abolished but offerings are not.[/li]
[/list]

Listen to what Jesus said about the hypocrisy of the Pharisees and Saducees:

"Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithes of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.  Ye blind guides, which strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel." -- Matthew 23:23-24

If you claim that the law has been abolished as regarding tithes, do you mean that matters of the law such as judgment, mercy and faith has also been abolished?  When God said in Malachi 3:8 that the children of Israel have robbed Him in "tithes and offerings", why do you still believe that it is only tithes that God has now abolished but not offerings?  Since your grouse is about God's 10% do you see the Government's tax (if you pay) as justified or do you see it as robbing the masses?

If you think deeply about these objections you will come to the realisation that you are offering strange fire just like Nadab and Abihu did.  Don't be carried away with the fact that you have those who agree and follow what you say blindly who will also end up in the ditch.  My sincere advise to you is that you repent and be genuinely converted because carnal zeal and spurious worship will not do yourself nor those who take all that you say as the gospel truth any good.  He that has an ear let Him hear what the Spirit of God is saying.
Re: How The Bible Teaches Us To Recognize False Prophets by dwonder(m): 5:54pm On Sep 10, 2009
Distinguishing the True From the False.

In some cases, such as that of Moses, Elijah, Elisha, and Jesus, God’s prophets performed miraculous works that attested to the genuineness of their message and office. Not all, however, are recorded as performing such powerful works.
The three essentials for establishing the credentials of a true prophet, as given through Moses, were: The true prophet would speak in God's name; the things foretold would come to pass (De 18:20-22); and his prophesying must promote true worship, being in harmony with God’s revealed word and commandments (De 13:1-4). [/b]The last requirement was probably the most vital and decisive, for an individual might hypocritically use God’s name, and by coincidence, his prediction might see fulfillment. But the true prophet was not solely or even primarily a prognosticator, as has been shown. Rather,[b] he was an advocate of righteousness, and his message dealt primarily with moral standards and their application. He expressed God’s mind on matters. (Isa 1:10-20; Mic 6:1-12) Hence, it was not necessary to wait perhaps for years or generations to determine whether the prophet was true or false by fulfillment of a prediction. If his message contradicted God’s revealed will and standards, he was false. [/b]Thus, a prophet who foretold peace for Israel or Judah, at a time when the people were engaging in disobedience to God’s Word and Law, of necessity was false.—Jer 6:13, 14; 14:11-16.

[b]Jesus’ later warning concerning false prophets paralleled that of Moses. Though using his name, and giving “signs and wonders to lead astray,” their fruits would prove them “workers of lawlessness.”—Mt 7:15-23; Mr 13:21-23; compare 2Pe 2:1-3; 1Jo 4:1-3.

[b]The true prophet never foretold simply to satisfy human curiosity. Every prediction related to God’s will, purpose, standards, or judgment. ([/b]1Ki 11:29-39; Isa 7:3-9) Often the future events foretold were the consequence of existing conditions; as the people sowed, so they would reap. The false prophets lulled the people and their leaders with soothing assurances that, despite their unrighteous course, God was still with them to protect and prosper them. (Jer 23:16-20; 28:1-14; Eze 13:1-16; compare Lu 6:26.) They imitated the true prophets, employing symbolic language and actions. (1Ki 22:11; Jer 28:10-14) While some were outright frauds, many were evidently prophets who became delinquent or apostate. (Compare 1Ki 18:19; 22:5-7; Isa 28:7; Jer 23:11-15.) Some were women, false prophetesses. (Eze 13:17-23; compare Re 2:20.) A “spirit of uncleanness” replaced God’s spirit. All such false prophets were to be put to death.—Zec 13:2, 3; De 13:5.

As to those measuring up to the divine standards, the fulfillment of certain “short-range” prophecies, some being accomplished in just a day or a year, gave basis for confidence that their prophecies relating to a more distant future would also see fulfillment.—1Ki 13:1-5; 14:12, 17; 2Ki 4:16, 17; 7:1, 2, 16-20.
Re: How The Bible Teaches Us To Recognize False Prophets by dwonder(m): 6:06pm On Sep 10, 2009
How can true prophets and false ones be identified?

True prophets make known their faith in Jesus, but more is required than claiming to preach in his name

1 John 4:1-3: “Test the inspired expressions to see whether they originate with God, because many false prophets have gone forth into the world. You gain the knowledge of the inspired expression from God by this: Every inspired expression that confesses Jesus Christ as having come in the flesh originates with God, but every inspired expression that does not confess Jesus does not originate with God.”

Matt. 7:21-23: “Not everyone saying to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter into the kingdom of the heavens, but the one doing the will of my Father who is in the heavens will. Many will say to me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name . . . ?’ And yet then I will confess to them: I never knew you! Get away from me, you workers of lawlessness.”

True prophets speak in the name of God, but merely claiming to represent him is not enough

Deut. 18:18-20: “A prophet I shall raise up for them from the midst of their brothers, like you [like Moses]; and I shall indeed put my words in his mouth, and he will certainly speak to them all that I shall command him. And it must occur that the man who will not listen to my words that he will speak in my name, I shall myself require an account from him. However, the prophet who presumes to speak in my name a word that I have not commanded him to speak or who speaks in the name of other gods, that prophet must die.” (Compare Jeremiah 14:14; 28:11, 15.)

Jesus said: “I do nothing of my own initiative; but just as the Father taught me I speak these things.” (John 8:28) He said: “I have come in the name of my Father.” (John 5:43) Jesus also said: “He that speaks of his own originality is seeking his own glory.”—John 7:18.

If any individuals or organizations claim to represent God but make it a practice to express their own opinions on matters, are they measuring up to this important qualification of a true prophet?

Ability to perform “great signs,” or “miracles,” is not necessarily proof of a true prophet

Matt. 24:24: “False Christs and false prophets will arise and will give great signs [“miracles,” TEV] and wonders so as to mislead, if possible, even the chosen ones.”

2 Thess. 2:9, 10: “The lawless one’s presence is according to the operation of Satan with every powerful work and lying signs and portents and with every unrighteous deception for those who are perishing, as a retribution because they did not accept the love of the truth that they might be saved.”

On the other hand, Moses performed miracles at God’s direction. (Ex. 4:1-9) God also empowered Jesus to perform miracles. (Acts 2:22) But more than the miracles gave evidence that God had truly sent them.

What true prophets foretell comes to pass, but they may not understand just when or how it will be

Dan. 12:9: “Go, Daniel, because the words are made secret and sealed up until the time of the end.”

1 Pet. 1:10, 11: “The prophets . . . kept on investigating what particular season or what sort of season the spirit in them was indicating concerning Christ when it was bearing witness beforehand about the sufferings for Christ and about the glories to follow these.”

1 Cor. 13:9, 10: “We have partial knowledge and we prophesy partially; but when that which is complete arrives, that which is partial will be done away with.”

Prov. 4:18: “The path of the righteous ones is like the bright light that is getting lighter and lighter until the day is firmly established.”

The apostles and other early Christian disciples had certain wrong expectations, but the Bible does not classify them with the “false prophets.”—See Luke 19:11; John 21:22, 23; Acts 1:6, 7.

Nathan the prophet encouraged King David to go ahead with what was in his heart regarding the building of a house for God’s worship. But later God told Nathan to inform David that he was not the one who would build it. God did not reject Nathan for what he had said earlier but continued to use him because he humbly corrected the matter when God made it plain to him.—1 Chron. 17:1-4, 15.

The pronouncements of a true prophet promote true worship and are in harmony with God’s revealed will

Deut. 13:1-4: “In case a prophet or a dreamer of a dream arises in your midst and does give you a sign or a portent, and the sign or the portent does come true of which he spoke to you, saying, ‘Let us walk after other gods, whom you have not known, and let us serve them,’ you must not listen to the words of that prophet or to the dreamer of that dream, because your God is testing you to know whether you are loving your God with all your heart and all your soul. After your God you should walk, and him you should fear, and his commandments you should keep, and to his voice you should listen, and him you should serve, and to him you should cling.”

Since the Bible says that “a friend of the world” is an enemy of God, are clergymen who urge their parishioners to get involved in the affairs of the world promoting true worship? (Jas. 4:4; 1 John 2:15-17) Jesus taught his followers to pray for God’s Kingdom, and the Bible cautions against putting one’s trust in earthling men, so are clergymen or political organizations that urge people to place their confidence in human rulership true prophets?—Matt. 6:9, 10; Ps. 146:3-6; compare Revelation 16:13, 14.

True prophets and the false can be recognized by the fruitage manifest in their lives and the lives of those who follow them

Matt. 7:15-20: “Be on the watch for the false prophets that come to you in sheep’s covering, but inside they are ravenous wolves. By their fruits you will recognize them. . . . Every good tree produces fine fruit, but every rotten tree produces worthless fruit . . . Really, then, by their fruits you will recognize those men.”

What characterizes their way of life? “The works of the flesh are . . . fornication, uncleanness, loose conduct, idolatry, practice of spiritism, enmities, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, contentions, divisions, sects, envies, drunken bouts, revelries, and things like these. . . . Those who practice such things will not inherit God’s kingdom. On the other hand, the fruitage of [God’s] spirit is love, joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness, goodness, faith, mildness, self-control.”—Gal. 5:19-23; see also 2 Peter 2:1-3.
Re: How The Bible Teaches Us To Recognize False Prophets by KunleOshob(m): 6:28pm On Sep 10, 2009
@Olaadegbu
I pray the day would come when you would stop being dishonest. I have never denied the deity of Jesus rahter i express it in most of my posts. However i do not accept the doctrine of trinity becos it lacks sound scriptural basis, infact it contradicts the bible which describes Jesus as the son who is subject to his father and NOT equal. As per the fraudulent doctrine of tithes which you define as ten percent of one's income again this lacks sound scriptural basis as it is adulterated from twisted scripture addressed to the levitical priesthood which is totally different from christianity. I would continue to condenm this evil and criminally inspired fraud against christians popularly called tithes. Infact any true christian would not fall for such a scam, but then how mny people study the scriptures properly
Re: How The Bible Teaches Us To Recognize False Prophets by KunleOshob(m): 9:35am On Sep 15, 2009
I don't know how i ommited this teaching spoken by the master himself but i would insert it below co i believe it is even more relevant today than when it was first spoken.
Matthew 7:15-23:
The Tree and Its Fruit
15 “Beware of false prophets who come disguised as harmless sheep but are really vicious wolves. 16 You can identify them by their fruit, that is, by the way they act. Can you pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? 17 A good tree produces good fruit, and a bad tree produces bad fruit. 18 A good tree can’t produce bad fruit, and a bad tree can’t produce good fruit. 19 So every tree that does not produce good fruit is chopped down and thrown into the fire. 20 Yes, just as you can identify a tree by its fruit, so you can identify people by their actions.
True Disciples
21 “Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. 22 On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ 23 But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
Re: How The Bible Teaches Us To Recognize False Prophets by Nobody: 8:27pm On Sep 15, 2009
OLAADEGBU:

@KunleOshob,

Having read your posts over the years, I think I have a fair understanding in what you believe:

[list]
[li]You believe that the Bible is not totally inspired of God[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]You believe that there are other books apart from the Bible that are divinely inspired[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]You believe that the RCC is responsible for the collection of the books of the Bible, which you claim are now 73 books, including the apocrypha[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]You believe that the Bible contradicts itself[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]You don't believe in the Deity of Christ, nor the doctrine of the trinity.[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]You don't believe that the Bible is infallible, nor complete yet, you use it to buttress your points[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]You believe that 10% of your income should not be paid as tithe in the church but you believe that you are allowed to give 100% of your income as offering. That is, tithes is abolished but offerings are not.[/li]
[/list]

Listen to what Jesus said about the hypocrisy of the Pharisees and Saducees:

"Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithes of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone. Ye blind guides, which strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel." -- Matthew 23:23-24

If you claim that the law has been abolished as regarding tithes, do you mean that matters of the law such as judgment, mercy and faith has also been abolished? When God said in Malachi 3:8 that the children of Israel have robbed Him in "tithes and offerings", why do you still believe that it is only tithes that God has now abolished but not offerings? Since your grouse is about God's 10% do you see the Government's tax (if you pay) as justified or do you see it as robbing the masses?

If you think deeply about these objections you will come to the realisation that you are offering strange fire just like Nadab and Abihu did. Don't be carried away with the fact that you have those who agree and follow what you say blindly who will also end up in the ditch. My sincere advise to you is that you repent and be genuinely converted because carnal zeal and spurious worship will not do yourself nor those who take all that you say as the gospel truth any good. He that has an ear let Him hear what the Spirit of God is saying.

Oladeegbu you are the biggest fool alive on nairaland.you are a bloody hypocrite ,liar I can't even find words to describe.

You and your lying pastors continue to fleece innocent vivtims of their hard earned money in the name of tithes .God wil surely reward you.

Now about the composition f the Bible let me ask you this
If you die and discover that catholics actually composed the bible and was actually the true church left by the Apostles will you still long to enter heaven
Re: How The Bible Teaches Us To Recognize False Prophets by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:56pm On Sep 24, 2009
Daily Manna

The Damning Fate of False Prophets

TEXT: JEREMIAH 29:20-32

KEY VERSE:
"Send to all them of the captivity, saying, Thus saith the Lord concerning Shemaiah the Nehelamite; Because that Shemaiah hath prophesied unto you, and I sent him not, and he caused you to trust in a lie: Therefore thus saith the Lord; Behold, I will punish Shemaiah . . . " (Jeremiah 29:31,32).

A local church pastor, afraid that his congregation was depleting recanted what he had said about proper Christian marriage when the elders of his church mostly polygamist threatened they would leave his church.  He now told his congregation that heaven would not shut its doors against polygamist, thereby cancelling what he had earlier preached.  Then when a journalist of an evening newspaper interviewed him the next day he muttered incoherently he did so to please the elders and stop them from leaving the church.

The above local pastor is in the mold of Shemaiah the false prophet in our text.  The LORD had made a pronouncement concerning prophets who prophesied lies to the people, including Ahab and Zedekiah (those are different from the kings who bore the same names).  Shemaiah in his unholy desire to please the people and gain vain popularity tried to discredit Jeremiah and branded him a false prophet.  Already, the people did not like Jeremiah because he told them the better truth of God's word.

Christ warns every true believer of the existence of false prophets and teachers even in the household of truth.  They are subtle and manipulative.  Satan, their master, was the very first false prophet when he changed the truth of God's word into a lie and deceived Eve, "ye shall not surely die".  Yield not to their persistent entreaties.  False prophets suffer here and hereafter.  "Therefore thus saith the LORD; Behold , I will punish Shemaiah, the Nehelamite, and his seed: he shall not have a man to dwell among this people; neither shall he behold the good that I will do for my people . . ." (verse 32).  And he never lived to see the end of the captivity and the return of God's people to Jerusalem.  Beware of false prophets.

All that glitters is not gold.

Such false prophets abounds here on Nairaland religion section.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Have You Been Pressed During Any Of Your Bed Time? / Do Man And Satan Have Immortality? / Paul Vs. Jesus's Teachings: Is There A Conflict? For serious bible scholars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.