Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,941 members, 7,817,759 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:44 PM

Need Urgent Help With My 2002 Toyota Highlander - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Need Urgent Help With My 2002 Toyota Highlander (1473 Views)

2002 Toyota Avensis Needs Conversion From Diesel To Petrol Engine. / 2002 Toyota Camry Issue: Nairaland AutoMechanics, Come In / Need Urgent Help With My 2002 Toyota Highlander (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Need Urgent Help With My 2002 Toyota Highlander by derock533: 4:05pm On Jun 14, 2016
Please forgive my lack of technical terms.
Ok here is the story...i bought a Toyota Highlander 2002 4WD 6 Cylinder from a friend. The driver has been frustrating the woman on the car. He always ollect money from the woman for repairs on the car, but will end up not doing exactly what he collected the money for. So she decided to sell the SUV and go for a smaller car when they told her she has to change the engine of the car.
I manage to discuss with the mechanic and he informed me that the driver wanted to string the woman off 200k, while 30k can fix the engine(we discovered some particles from the old exhaust flew into the engine and caused the valve to bend).I gladly gave him 35k to fix the engine, which he did and the car came to life again. He told me the car does have a problem before the engine problem. When on parking mode, the car can steam very well but will have a misfire once you initiate the gear to drive. We tried so many things to resolve the issue, like changing the air flow meter, exhaust, fuel pump and plugs, but the issue didn't go away.
I bought an OBD2 scanner and scanned the car and was able to resolve the issue by changing the ECU, the misfiring stopped, but right now i have issues with the gear selection. The car does not move sharp on initial acceleration, it has delay in changing from gear 2 to 3(i will have to release the throttle pedal before it can change. It also find it difficult to return.

Below are the snapshots of the scan i recently performed on the car.

I am based in Port Harcourt and will appreciate any solution out of my problem.

Re: Need Urgent Help With My 2002 Toyota Highlander by Nobody: 4:26pm On Jun 14, 2016
Why did you go and buy a troubled car ?

The gear selection problem suggests bad gear box..

Meanwhile the word powertrain is bogus because it includes the engine, drivetrain and transmission.
Re: Need Urgent Help With My 2002 Toyota Highlander by Readonee35L(m): 4:30pm On Jun 14, 2016
Hmmmm.
I don't even know what to say with all those codes.
Why did you change the Ecu in that Vehicle.

Clear those codes and drive the car , repost the codes that come up again
Re: Need Urgent Help With My 2002 Toyota Highlander by derock533: 4:43pm On Jun 14, 2016
Readonee35L:
Hmmmm.
I don't even know what to say with all those codes.
Why did you change the Ecu in that Vehicle.

Clear those codes and drive the car , repost the codes that come up again

Changed the ECU because of the misfiring (a pop pop pop sound) it gives when you want to move. After the change it does not give that misfiring sound or jerking movement anymore.
Re: Need Urgent Help With My 2002 Toyota Highlander by pek(m): 7:36pm On Jun 14, 2016
@derock533 i am sure you bought a wrong brainbox. Send your VIN to me and the part number of the ecu.
Re: Need Urgent Help With My 2002 Toyota Highlander by mayor2013: 9:47pm On Jun 14, 2016
Get another ecu and youe car would be fine. Are you sure your transmission was fine before changing ecu?
Re: Need Urgent Help With My 2002 Toyota Highlander by lonelydora: 4:34am On Jun 15, 2016
I feel he didn't buy the right ECU.
Re: Need Urgent Help With My 2002 Toyota Highlander by chukel(m): 7:11am On Jun 15, 2016
Resolve P0325, P0330 and P0500 and your problem will be solved. Thank me later.
Re: Need Urgent Help With My 2002 Toyota Highlander by kingreign(m): 8:51am On Jun 15, 2016
derock533:

Changed the ECU because of the misfiring (a pop pop pop sound) it gives when you want to move. After the change it does not give that misfiring sound or jerking movement anymore.

Wrong ECU brace up for more latent palava that's gonna reveal themselves.

Side thoughts: I really wonder why people go about changing their ECUs when there's no damage to the ECU apparently
Re: Need Urgent Help With My 2002 Toyota Highlander by derock533: 10:13am On Jun 15, 2016
kingreign:

Wrong ECU brace up for more latent palava that's gonna reveal themselves.

Side thoughts: I really wonder why people go about changing their ECUs when there's no damage to the ECU apparently

My brother, the ECU i guess was originally changed when before i even bought the car, because it was jerking when ever i put the gear selector on drive. It stopped immediately after this new ECU was changed.
Re: Need Urgent Help With My 2002 Toyota Highlander by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:44pm On Jun 15, 2016
derock533:
Please forgive my lack of technical terms.
Ok here is the story...i bought a Toyota Highlander 2002 4WD 6 Cylinder from a friend . The driver has been frustrating the woman on the car. He always ollect money from the woman for repairs on the car, but will end up not doing exactly what he collected the money for. So she decided to sell the SUV and go for a smaller car when they told her she has to change the engine of the car.
I manage to discuss with the mechanic and he informed me that the driver wanted to string the woman off 200k, while 30k can fix the engine(we discovered some particles from the old exhaust flew into the engine and caused the valve to bend ).I gladly gave him 35k to fix the engine, which he did and the car came to life again. He told me the car does have a problem before the engine problem. When on parking mode, the car can steam very well but will have a misfire once you initiate the gear to drive. We tried so many things to resolve the issue, like changing the air flow meter, exhaust, fuel pump and plugs, but the issue didn't go away.
I bought an OBD2 scanner and scanned the car and was able to resolve the issue by changing the ECU, the misfiring stopped, but right now i have issues with the gear selection. The car does not move sharp on initial acceleration, it has delay in changing from gear 2 to 3(i will have to release the throttle pedal before it can change. It also find it difficult to return.

Below are the snapshots of the scan i recently performed on the car.

I am based in Port Harcourt and will appreciate any solution out of my problem.

does your friend know that her driver and mechanic are conspiring to defraud her? Did you tell your friend when you found out?

Meanwhile, exhaust flow is one way, and that is out of the engine, there's no way "particles" from mars will enter and bend valves, so I guess the continued the scam on ya smart ass grin
Re: Need Urgent Help With My 2002 Toyota Highlander by Readonee35L(m): 2:35pm On Jun 15, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

does your friend know that her driver and mechanic are conspiring to defraud her? Did you tell your friend when you found out?

Meanwhile, exhaust flow is one way, and that is out of the engine, there's no way "particles" from mars will enter and bend valves, so I guess the continued the scam on ya smart ass grin
Particles of a broken catalyctic converter can go into the engine.
Re: Need Urgent Help With My 2002 Toyota Highlander by vRendoh(m): 2:46pm On Jun 15, 2016
Guy,
You were too fast changing your ECU. Usually, Diagnostic Tool should have told you the cylinders involve. The commonest failure is the Spark plug which can change out. You may first swap it with another cylinder after cleaning the Spark plug. This will help to pin it to the actual cause. if after swap it still misfire on same cylinder you can examine the plug cable preferably in the dark for jumping sparks when the vehicle is running.
You can then proceed to the coil. measure the resistance of the coil. compare with the others. the last check is the injector resistance. measure it and compare it with the others if you do not have the repair manual or google it.

From your list, i would start with the vehicle speed sensor! The Auto gear system rely typically on the speed sensor which feed the ECU the vehicle actual speed thereby making the ECU to give a gear change command. sometimes some guys breaks the connector or not properly plug.
Guy start with that, you can reach me on my mail.
goodluck
Re: Need Urgent Help With My 2002 Toyota Highlander by derock533: 4:12pm On Jun 15, 2016
vRendoh:
Guy,
You were too fast changing your ECU. Usually, Diagnostic Tool should have told you the cylinders involve. The commonest failure is the Spark plug which can change out. You may first swap it with another cylinder after cleaning the Spark plug. This will help to pin it to the actual cause. if after swap it still misfire on same cylinder you can examine the plug cable preferably in the dark for jumping sparks when the vehicle is running.
You can then proceed to the coil. measure the resistance of the coil. compare with the others. the last check is the injector resistance. measure it and compare it with the others if you do not have the repair manual or google it.

From your list, i would start with the vehicle speed sensor! The Auto gear system rely typically on the speed sensor which feed the ECU the vehicle actual speed thereby making the ECU to give a gear change command. sometimes some guys breaks the connector or not properly plug.
Guy start with that, you can reach me on my mail.
goodluck

Thanks Mate, all you suggested where looked into when i first acquired the SUV and it kept jerking once you initiate the drive mode....but as soon as the ECU was changed the jerking stopped...the only issue now is that it has delay in changing from one speed to another.
Just discovered that the right shaft does not have the ring on it. I guess they changed the Shaft, so now i am planning on buying another cup with ring on it. Thanks alot
Re: Need Urgent Help With My 2002 Toyota Highlander by derock533: 4:17pm On Jun 15, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

Ofcos my friend is aware of the scam,cos i told her about everything, but she has already paid for another ride.

Meanwhile, it was particles of the exhaust catalyst that flew into the engine.

(1) (Reply)

Where Can I Do A Diagnosis For Car Suspension in Lagos / Would You Buy This 1981 Toyota FJ Land Cruiser For N73million? (photos) / 2018 Mercedes-maybach S-class Revealed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.