Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,717 members, 7,837,615 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 08:22 AM

Can A Pastor Make A Good President ? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can A Pastor Make A Good President ? (699 Views)

Did Your Pastor Make Mention Of Olajumoke Today? / Should Women Be Allowed To Preach On The Altar Or To Become A Pastor? / Hpw Can I Become A Pastor In Rccg? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can A Pastor Make A Good President ? by Nobody: 3:53pm On Aug 29, 2009
Chris okotie tried it but he lost.If the popularity & influences of the like of chris oyakhilome,Enoch adeboye,Oyedepo,Tb Joshua,oritsejafor,kumuyi is anything to go by and is each given the opportunity to rule Nigeria.Will they make any difference.
Re: Can A Pastor Make A Good President ? by Krayola2(m): 3:56pm On Aug 29, 2009
If he kept his faith separate from state affairs he could make a good president. . . . . if he knew what he was doing, IMO.
Re: Can A Pastor Make A Good President ? by Nobody: 4:06pm On Aug 29, 2009
No way! We have enough of the Sharia crazy dudes taking over the country!
Re: Can A Pastor Make A Good President ? by Nobody: 4:40pm On Aug 29, 2009
@poster
Most of the pastors you used as example are crooks and imposters. There is no way they would make a good leader talkless of president.
Re: Can A Pastor Make A Good President ? by tpiah2: 4:42pm On Aug 29, 2009
Krayola2:

If he kept his faith separate from state affairs he could make a good president. . . . . if he knew what he was doing, IMO.

I agree.

Most of them are too dependent on advisers, which isnt always a good thing.
Re: Can A Pastor Make A Good President ? by No2Atheism(m): 4:47pm On Aug 29, 2009
@topic

No
Re: Can A Pastor Make A Good President ? by huxley(m): 5:03pm On Aug 29, 2009
No2Atheism:

@topic

No

Why would a pastor not make a good president?
Re: Can A Pastor Make A Good President ? by No2Atheism(m): 5:08pm On Aug 29, 2009
1. Not part of their training.
2. Not part of their job description.
3. A good worldly leader sometimes needs to make decisions that are not spiritually correct e.g. going to war, signing off on the deaths of certain people, secret service issues and all.
4. Being a pastor is a spiritual matter not an administrative matter.
Re: Can A Pastor Make A Good President ? by huxley(m): 5:19pm On Aug 29, 2009
No2Atheism:

1. Not part of their training.
2. Not part of their job description.
3. A good worldly leader sometimes needs to make decisions that are not spiritually correct e.g. going to war, signing off on the deaths of certain people, secret service issues and all.
4. Being a pastor is a spiritual matter not an administrative matter.

I sense a huge contradiction here. In the past many men of God have been leaders of their countries, from David, Ezekiel, Constantine, to many Christian Emperors of Europe and Asia. These men of god have been guided and advised by god or prophets of god. So why do you think such a model could not be achieved today? Have you lost confidence in the power of god to get some order here on earth?

Could not god arrange for a christian or Pastor President to only arrive at "good" decisions? If he cannot, why call him all powerful?
Re: Can A Pastor Make A Good President ? by tpia5: 2:47am On Aug 30, 2009
back to the mulberry bush.
Re: Can A Pastor Make A Good President ? by No2Atheism(m): 5:57am On Aug 30, 2009
huxley:

I sense a huge contradiction here.  In the past many men of God have been leaders of their countries, from David, Ezekiel, Constantine, to many Christian Emperors of Europe and Asia.  These men of god have been guided and advised by god or prophets of god.   So why do you think such a model could not be achieved today?  Have you lost confidence in the power of god to get some order here on earth?

Could not god arrange for a christian or Pastor President to only arrive at "good" decisions?  If he cannot, why call him all powerful?

Nope there is no contradiction, YES I KNOW YOUR MOTIVATION is that you are actively trying to find fault where there is none to be found, so i would take my time to enlighten you since its obvious you are missing a very important detail and actively trying to find fault where there is none.:

- you said Men of God, notice you did not say pastor and you did not mention the new testament, most of your references were taking from the old testament, for which it was lawful to go to war (i.e. the spiritual principle of turning the other cheek had not come into effect). Those in the old testament were operating under an old covenant, nevertheless the Creator still maintained His own standards of them not being able to do certain spiritual things once they have done certain physical things.
- The people you mentioned were in the old testament.
- David was not permitted to do certain spiritual things (e.g. not allowed to build the temple) because he had blood on his hands (one way or another) such as being an active partaker in wars.
- Solomon was allowed to build the Temple because he did not have blood on his hands (one way or another) hence why the Creator made sure that there were no wars during his time as King.
- Being an active partaker in wars does not mean he is condemned before the Creator, it only means he is not qualified to do certain spiritual things.
- Pastors are expected and required to do most, if not all spiritual duties, hence as a result cannot be expected to partake of things like David had done.
- Hence why you do not see any Disciple being military in nature after the ascension of the Messiah.
- Hence why you see the Messiah actively prevented his disciples from taking physical actions even wen they wanted to, instead he admonished them to be spiritual, because their duties were no longer physical nor administrative but spiritual in nature.
- Hence why you see even the Messiah preventing any of his disciples from being violent or worldly, because their duties in the new testament has changed from being partly administrative to being completely spiritual.

- I repeat again that the position of a Pastor is a spiritual position and not an administrative one, hence he is not allowed to participate in administrative duties some of which might end up being like what David had to do.

- THAT MY FRIEND IS THE REASON WHY A TRUE PASTOR CANNOT BE PRESIDENT, THE DUTIES AND PURPOSES ARE DIFFERENT AND COUNTER-PRODUCTIVE TO HIS SPIRITUAL POSITION AS A PASTOR.

Could not god arrange for a christian or Pastor President to only arrive at "good" decisions? If he cannot, why call him all powerful?

Since you claim to be an atheist, then you need not bother yourself about what the Creator can or cannot do cool
Re: Can A Pastor Make A Good President ? by banom(m): 8:19am On Aug 30, 2009
@ topic,
Can a president make a good pastor
Re: Can A Pastor Make A Good President ? by 9ja4eva: 5:00am On Aug 31, 2009
With the way our Pastors dey use chase money dese days, i think they would be worse than the crooks we have now.
Yar Adua go be saint where the Pastors dey.
Re: Can A Pastor Make A Good President ? by budaatum: 3:07pm On Aug 31, 2009
Odd! Though, if one reckons as some atheists might, that a "Person of God" is a person who does evil, not so odd I suppose. But despite the view of we atheists, evidence cannot in any way conclude that being a pastor is synonymous with being a person of the devil! If the person of God is a person who does "Good", and by that I mean a person who understands the workings of God, why can that person not only be a president, but even a good president?

I personally do not think that Nigeria would progress until a person who can say, "let there be light" effectively, rules. There is after all no doubt that darkness is upon the land today, or might I be wrong? I do not also think that Nigeria can progress until a selfless person, as opposed to the current leaders that we have who are so much more interested in filling their own bellies, rules, and who can we claim to be the most selfless person we know mythically or otherwise, than he they call the Messiah Jesus Christ?

Of course, it should be noted that the Christ I speak of is not one who would claim that everyone should worship him, for if that is what is meant, then it must be noted that the Christ of the Gospels never said anything of the sort! Such as one would be a member of Boko Haram, for sure.
Re: Can A Pastor Make A Good President ? by huxley(m): 3:12pm On Aug 31, 2009
No2Atheism:

Nope there is no contradiction, YES I KNOW YOUR MOTIVATION is that you are actively trying to find fault where there is none to be found, so i would take my time to enlighten you since its obvious you are missing a very important detail and actively trying to find fault where there is none.:

- you said Men of God, notice you did not say pastor and you did not mention the new testament, most of your references were taking from the old testament, for which it was lawful to go to war (i.e. the spiritual principle of turning the other cheek had not come into effect). Those in the old testament were operating under an old covenant, nevertheless the Creator still maintained His own standards of them not being able to do certain spiritual things once they have done certain physical things.
- The people you mentioned were in the old testament.
- David was not permitted to do certain spiritual things (e.g. not allowed to build the temple) because he had blood on his hands (one way or another) such as being an active partaker in wars.
- Solomon was allowed to build the Temple because he did not have blood on his hands (one way or another) hence why the Creator made sure that there were no wars during his time as King.
- Being an active partaker in wars does not mean he is condemned before the Creator, it only means he is not qualified to do certain spiritual things.
- Pastors are expected and required to do most, if not all spiritual duties, hence as a result cannot be expected to partake of things like David had done.
- Hence why you do not see any Disciple being military in nature after the ascension of the Messiah.
- Hence why you see the Messiah actively prevented his disciples from taking physical actions even wen they wanted to, instead he admonished them to be spiritual, because their duties were no longer physical nor administrative but spiritual in nature.
- Hence why you see even the Messiah preventing any of his disciples from being violent or worldly, because their duties in the new testament has changed from being partly administrative to being completely spiritual.

- I repeat again that the position of a Pastor is a spiritual position and not an administrative one, hence he is not allowed to participate in administrative duties some of which might end up being like what David had to do.

- THAT MY FRIEND IS THE REASON WHY A TRUE PASTOR CANNOT BE PRESIDENT, THE DUTIES AND PURPOSES ARE DIFFERENT AND COUNTER-PRODUCTIVE TO HIS SPIRITUAL POSITION AS A PASTOR.

Since you claim to be an atheist, then you need not bother yourself about what the Creator can or cannot do cool

Whereabouts in the New Testament are the functions of a Pastor (and I mean Pastor, not any other name) delineated?
Re: Can A Pastor Make A Good President ? by budaatum: 7:30pm On Sep 03, 2009
huxley:

Whereabouts in the New Testament are the functions of a Pastor (and I mean Pastor, not any other name) delineated?
A little use of the imagination would show the functions of a pastor. Even so, they are clearly stated, if someone would bother to post them for you.

That said though, I do notice your "not any other name". Are you asking that Christians be literal, perhaps?

(1) (Reply)

If Wildone Can Be Banned, Then Abuzola Deserves Nothing Less / Re: Honestly, Does D Bible Make Sense 2 U? / Tb Joshua Saved My Career - Emeneogu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.