Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,160 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:02 AM

5 Questions For Atheists - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 5 Questions For Atheists (7024 Views)

Questions For Atheists / What Christians Say When They Are Losing Arguments (For Atheists) / Question For Atheists (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Questions For Atheists by Dejideji1(m): 11:49pm On Jun 14, 2016
donnffd:

No, i am not a physics student sorry to dissapoint...

Now there really could be a God who is timeless if anything like that exists.
My main point was there was no way for you to know for certain because you are bound by space and time, and anything that exists outside it is unknowable because you cant leave space and time to get the knowlge of timeless and spaceless entity

Being unable to proof the existence of something doesn't mean such a thing doesn't exist. It's dependent on our present level of scientific methods and technology. And besides, there are so many mysteries in the world and universe at large that scientists will not be able to unravel everything till the end of time. As long as the word "infinity" exits there will still be something unknown.
Re: 5 Questions For Atheists by donnffd(m): 7:17am On Jun 15, 2016
sirthisthickkal:

don't get me wrong! I never said getting answers to questions especially the about world is bad, what I mean is that it is impossible to get get answers to questions like the existence of God, where God came from,.. Etc
To me, those questions should be left unanswered.

If they should be left unanswered and God is the highly improbable answer to the where the universe came from question, then why dont u just say the same thing about the universe and not use God to answer it?

Do you support fossils record? And If those points I raised are conspiracy theories , can you unravel or shed more light on them ?

Evolution is a fact, we see changes in organisms, you cant tell me that you are the exact same person with your parents, you changed. The issue is how do you explain the changes and differences in all the species we see today and how is it that species are so well adapted to their environment, it bugged people for ages until the 18th century when two scientists came along, their names where Lamarck and Darwin

Lamarck's take on it was termed Theory of evolution by use and disuse. What he was basically saying was that organism acquire traits during their lifetimes and then pass it on to the next generation, and after successive generations, the organisms would have changed. His main example was the giraffe, he claimed that the ancestors of giraffes where short necked but over the course of their lives, they stretched their necks to reach higher branches and their neck grew longer and longer, and they were able to pass these new acquired trait to their offsprings, the reverse happens for the parts they dont use.

Darwin on the otherhand had a different opinion, his take was termed Theory of evolution by Natural selection. He argued that organisms produced far more offsprings than nature could cater for, so there tends to be competition, the organisms with the traits that enables it to survive better in that environment would do better than the others and pass its traits down to its offsprings, giving its offsprings a selected advantage over other members and after many generations, that trait would spread across the population and be the new normal trait which would cause another competition and selection, e.t.c

Now its important to note that these two men never knew anything about hereditary or genes or how they worked. Another famous scientists named Mendel was around the same time working on the foundation of what is now known as Modern genetics and he for the first time explained how hereditary works. You cant look it up, cant go into details but his works showed that lamarck got it wrong, you cant pass on traits you acquire during your life time, it doesnt work.
What happened to lamarcks theory of evolution, thrown into the dustbin, Nobody uses it anymore except for history purposes, i would guess this is the first time you are hearing of it.
On the otherhand, Darwin was vindicated, his theory fits exactly how hereditary worked, Mutation was a phenomenon discovered later which showed how new traits arise, which supported Darwins idea even more, and the Fossil record also supports darwin idea because it shows how older rocks contain simpler lifeforms and as it gets younger, the life forms becomes more complex...you cant see a rabbit bone in the rock from 1 billion years ago, if you did, you would win a nobel prize and dismantle Darwins theory which without any thought would be thrown inside dustbin like lamarcks own.
Noone and i mean noone was disproved darwin on the contrary every evidence we find points to one conclusion...Darwin was right.

If you are really impressed by the beauties and complexity of nature, don't you think someone powerful must have put those things in the right place and at the right time, or do think they came just by chance or by accident?

No, i dont think someone powerful put it there, the sky is blue because i interpret it as blue, if my brain was wired a different way, i could as well have seen the sky has black, Nature is not there to please you, its just there...because you have a brain that interpret what u see as colours doesnt mean those things actually have colours...its all in ur head

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 5 Questions For Atheists by donnffd(m): 7:21am On Jun 15, 2016
Dejideji1:

Being unable to proof the existence of something doesn't mean such a thing doesn't exist. It's dependent on our present level of scientific methods and technology. And besides, there are so many mysteries in the world and universe at large that scientists will not be able to unravel everything till the end of time. As long as the word "infinity" exits there will still be something unknown.

Ofcourse, but why do you ascertain that God is real when you acknowledge we are currently unable to proof it?

1 Like

Re: 5 Questions For Atheists by deluxez12(m): 9:10am On Jun 15, 2016
ettaetta:
all this are signs of the end as prophesied in the bible, in due time God will take away pain and suffering and wipe away our tears.

You didnt even answer my question,
spare me that crap u guyz have being saying that for centuries

2 Likes

Re: 5 Questions For Atheists by ettaetta(m): 9:50am On Jun 15, 2016
deluxez12:

spare me that crap u guyz have being saying that for centuries
ok so which is the correct answer then? Will love to learn from u
Re: 5 Questions For Atheists by sirthisthickkal: 10:02am On Jun 15, 2016
donnffd:

If they should be left unanswered and God is the highly improbable answer to the where the universe came from question, then why dont u just say the same thing about the universe and not use God to answer it?

you haven't answered my question in the first quote which is if scientists have not been able to unravel the existence of the universe they can see with there naked eyes what makes you think they will be able to unravel the existence of God who they cannot see? the universe is beyond human comprehension, scientists have confirmed this. they have tried their best and they are still trying their best, till today their best have not been been able to solve one inch of the mystery surrounding the universe, let alone the almighty God.

Evolution is a fact, we see changes in organisms, you cant tell me that you are the exact same person with your parents, you changed. The issue is how do you explain the changes and differences in all the species we see today and how is it that species are so well adapted to their environment, it bugged people for ages until the 18th century when two scientists came along, their names where Lamarck and Darwin

Lamarck's take on it was termed Theory of evolution by use and disuse. What he was basically saying was that organism acquire traits during their lifetimes and then pass it on to the next generation, and after successive generations, the organisms would have changed. His main example was the giraffe, he claimed that the ancestors of giraffes where short necked but over the course of their lives, they stretched their necks to reach higher branches and their neck grew longer and longer, and they were able to pass these new acquired trait to their offsprings, the reverse happens for the parts they dont use.

Darwin on the otherhand had a different opinion, his take was termed Theory of evolution by Natural selection. He argued that organisms produced far more offsprings than nature could cater for, so there tends to be competition, the organisms with the traits that enables it to survive better in that environment would do better than the others and pass its traits down to its offsprings, giving its offsprings a selected advantage over other members and after many generations, that trait would spread across the population and be the new normal trait which would cause another competition and selection, e.t.c

Now its important to note that these two men never knew anything about hereditary or genes or how they worked. Another famous scientists named Mendel was around the same time working on the foundation of what is now known as Modern genetics and he for the first time explained how hereditary works. You cant look it up, cant go into details but his works showed that lamarck got it wrong, you cant pass on traits you acquire during your life time, it doesnt work.
What happened to lamarcks theory of evolution, thrown into the dustbin, Nobody uses it anymore except for history purposes, i would guess this is the first time you are hearing of it.
On the otherhand, Darwin was vindicated, his theory fits exactly how hereditary worked, Mutation was a phenomenon discovered later which showed how new traits arise, which supported Darwins idea even more, and the Fossil record also supports darwin idea because it shows how older rocks contain simpler lifeforms and as it gets younger, the life forms becomes more complex...you cant see a rabbit bone in the rock from 1 billion years ago, if you did, you would win a nobel prize and dismantle Darwins theory which without any thought would be thrown inside dustbin like lamarcks own.
Noone and i mean noone was disproved darwin on the contrary every evidence we find points to one conclusion...Darwin was right.

[b] Darwins original theory States that natural selection and mutation would favor organisms that are best suited or fitted to their environment while those are who less suited or fitted would die off and that hence those who survived evolved into new species. But the evidence of the past 100 years shows that while the fittest may indeed survive, this does not explain how they survived. One lion may be fitter than other lion, but does that explains how he got be a lion? Darwin said yes but I beg to differ. Natural selection may be helping species adapt to the changing demands of existence, but it can never create anything new. climatic conditions only influences natural selection and the continuing inter breeding between two different species produces one specie with different features or traits . As always, Darwin was damn wrong. This sames goes with mutation. As for the fossils record ish, kindly scroll up and read my comment again. Lamarcks and Darwins theories are both the same. You just decided to paint darwin a genius by omitting certain facts and information from Darwins original theory to suit your beliefs. Probably you should go back to your archives and peruse his theories once again especially his famous book - origin of species. [/b]

No, i dont think someone powerful put it there, the sky is blue because i interpret it as blue, if my brain was wired a different way, i could as well have seen the sky has black, Nature is not there to please you, its just there...because you have a brain that interpret what u see as colours doesnt mean those things actually have colours...its all in ur head

every law requires a lawmaker, a traffic sign that says "stop" certainly has behind it some person or group of persons who originated the law,How much more the laws that govern the universe. The natural laws of the universe are so precise that we have no difficulty building a spaceship to fly to the moon and can time the flight with the precision of a fraction of a second. Scientists who want a rocket to orbit the earth, or the moon, must work in harmony with such universal laws if they are to be successful. These laws must have been set and organized by someone powerful. Whose else would that be other than God himself, the alpha and omega. If you say your brain interpret nature to you, who created and designed your brain? Did it just exist and operate by accident? Till today scientists and neurologists have not been able to decipher how it operates fully, to them the brain still remains a mystery likewise the universe.
Re: 5 Questions For Atheists by donnffd(m): 11:04am On Jun 15, 2016
[quote author=sirthisthickkal post=46590689][/quote]

Your first paragraph: The Universe is here, thats why we are trying to understand it and know where it came from...Nobody in Science is trying to understand God or find out where God came from, You know why? because God is not here, we dont see him, we are not even sure he exists, so why bother on that and not focus on what is here?

Your second paragraph : ok

Your third paragraph : cool
Re: 5 Questions For Atheists by AdoptedSon: 12:59pm On Jun 15, 2016
Nice questions posed.the truth is that many atheist stumbled on the truth and pick themsleves up as if nothing happened.

(to be edited)

1 Like

Re: 5 Questions For Atheists by UyiIredia(m): 1:38pm On Jun 15, 2016
JackBizzle:
one question for the theist.

WHERE IS YOUR GOD?

OVER 40 YEARS NO CONSTANT ELECTRICITY IN NIGERIA
BOKO HARAM KILLING INNOCENT PEOPLE IN THE NORTH
NIGER-DELTA MILITANT BLOWING UP PIPELINES
KIDNAPPING AND RANSOM EVERYWHERE
POLICE BRUTALITY
ARMY BRUTALITY
EXPENSIVE FUEL AND DIESEL

IS GOD DEAD OR JUST NONEXISTENT? HE DOESN'T KNOW THAT HIS PEOPLE ARE SUFFERING?

God is everywhere. He exists all around us as the universe and is made even more obvious in the spiritual realm. When you die you can sort yourself out with him.

1 Like

Re: 5 Questions For Atheists by ettaetta(m): 1:51pm On Jun 15, 2016
JackBizzle:

EVOLUTION IS NOT ATHEISM.
but i have heard many athetst saying they belive in evolution. Now tell me

what then do you believe in?
Re: 5 Questions For Atheists by donnffd(m): 3:01pm On Jun 15, 2016
ettaetta:

The Idea that if you accept Evolution, you must be an atheist is wrong...

Very Intelligent Religious people accept it as a scientifically fact

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Questions For Atheists by sirthisthickkal: 4:40pm On Jun 15, 2016
donnffd:

Your first paragraph: The Universe is here, thats why we are trying to understand it and know where it came from...Nobody in Science is trying to understand God or find out where God came from, You know why? because God is not here, we dont see him, we are not even sure he exists, so why bother on that and not focus on what is here?

Your second paragraph : ok

Your third paragraph : cool

[b] I understand what you mean I really do. it's sometimes difficult to believe what you cannot see, besides like they say "seeing is believing". But if we allow that saying to determine the way we live our lives then we will all be heading towards self destruction and mental darkness.
You believe that there is gravity, right? But can we see gravity? No! Yet we believe in it because we can feel or sense it and that is what keep our planet plus the whole universe in a balanced state.
We all breath in air to survive, don't we? But can we see air! No! Yet we believe in it because we can feel or sense it and that is what keeps us alive.
The almighty God has created many things so that we can know he exist even though we can't see him, when we bleed within days we heal, when we sleep we become unconscious and all of the sudden we come back to life so to speak, when we cram something we have the ability to remember exactly the way it was stored for the next 20 years, I can go on and on. All this evidence. After perceiving this things and we marvel at them, don't you think it would be ungrateful of us if we fail to give the credit to the one who created them? how would you feel if people refuse to give you credit for something you worked hard to create or build for their benefits? no doubt you will fill bad perhaps even calling them ingrates. How much more God. Don't you think he really deserves our praises and worship? Yes of course.

Gracias! [/b]

1 Like

Re: 5 Questions For Atheists by Nobody: 4:59pm On Jun 15, 2016
sirthisthickkal:

[b] I understand what you mean I really do. it's sometimes difficult to believe what you cannot see, besides like they say "seeing is believing". But if we allow that saying to determine the way we live our lives then we will all be heading towards self destruction and mental darkness.
You believe that there is gravity, right? But can we see gravity? No! Yet we believe in it because we can feel or sense it and that is what keep our planet plus the whole universe in a balanced state.
We all breath in air to survive, don't we? But can we see air! No! Yet we believe in it because we can feel or sense it and that is what keeps us alive.
The almighty God has created many things so that we can know he exist even though we can't see him, when we bleed within days we heal, when we sleep we become unconscious and all of the sudden we come back to life so to speak, when we cram something we have the ability to remember exactly the way it was stored for the next 20 years, I can go on and on. All this evidence. After perceiving this things and we marvel at them, don't you think it would be ungrateful of us if we fail to give the credit to the one who created them? how would you feel if people refuse to give you credit for something you worked hard to create or build for their benefits? no doubt you will fill bad perhaps even calling them ingrates. How much more God. Don't you think he really deserves our praises and worship? Yes of course.

Gracias! [/b]
And can this God not talk for himself. Can he not identify himself out of the many that has been purpoted to be him??

There are many texts in this world, all claiming to know exactly what this unverified deity wants.
And yet, all of them seem to be conflicting with each other; and the said deity remains silent.

Look, you claim there is a Deity above. Good, no problem.

But if you can't give conclusive evidence for his existence, why, how do we know YOUR deity is the true one

1 Like

Re: 5 Questions For Atheists by donnffd(m): 5:03pm On Jun 15, 2016
sirthisthickkal:

The almighty God has created many things so that we can know he exist even though we can't see him

How do you know it was God(Yahweh) that did it?

what if its Allah or Zeus or Krishna or Vishnu or Thor or Odin or Sango or Amadioha or Poseidon or Apollo

what if the universe was simulated by an intelligent alien kid for his school assignment

what if what caused the universe is inanimate or not intelligent at all

what if the universe is the group work of many entities that came together to create a masterpiece

how can you be sure that your God is the right one

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Questions For Atheists by Dejideji1(m): 6:55pm On Jun 15, 2016
donnffd:

Ofcourse, but why do you ascertain that God is real when you acknowledge we are currently unable to proof it?

I was making a generalization, and you singled out "God" there are many things that your human senses cannot detect but they exist. For example radio waves. there are thousands inshort millions of radio waves around us, but tell me can any of your sense organs perceive it? NO. Although we have devices to detect them. But has anyone seen how it looks? We can only describe it in terms of its amplitude, frequency, wavelength e.t.c.

Now imagine someone arguing blindly that since his/her sense organs cannot perceive the existence of radio wave that it doesn't exist even though it's clearly evident that it's what his/her phone is communicating with.
Re: 5 Questions For Atheists by Electgineer99: 7:40pm On Jun 15, 2016
When theists said God is in heaven, na the cloud above they are referring to. They don't even know which Heaven.
SMH!

1 Like

Re: 5 Questions For Atheists by ettaetta(m): 7:50pm On Jun 15, 2016
donnffd:

how do we know God exits?

because We pray to Him and He answers
Re: 5 Questions For Atheists by sirthisthickkal: 8:09pm On Jun 15, 2016
donnffd:

How do you know it was God(Yahweh) that did it?

what if its Allah or Zeus or Krishna or Vishnu or Thor or Odin or Sango or Amadioha or Poseidon or Apollo

what if the universe was simulated by an intelligent alien kid for his school assignment

what if what caused the universe is inanimate or not intelligent at all

what if the universe is the group work of many entities that came together to create a masterpiece

how can you be sure that your God is the right one
Very simple!

1.) He has given us freewill to choose whatever we want, he is never going to hold us against our will neither will he punish us for whatever decision we make. Even though you deny his existence, you are still benefiting from the rain and the sun he has created. He his not like some of those false and demi gods you watch in movies like you mentioned who demand sacrifice or dues in return for their so-called blessings.

2.) He has given us varieties. Varieties of fruit, varieties of food, varieties of colors, varieties of birds, varieties of fish, varieties of meat, varieties of raw materials, varieties of emotions, varieties of women
grin etc. Imagine a world whereby we eat eat only mango, we eat only beans, we wear only black, we see only dove in the sky, we eat only crayfish, we eat only beef, we discovered only oil from the ground, we only cry to express our feelings all the time, and we only see fat and robust women catwalking on the street every time , most definitely life would be so so boring and sad and folks would be committing suicide on a daily basis. But happily we serve a God who has a sense of humor, he knows what will make our live enjoyable for us all. No doubt, variety is the spice of life.

So far I have given you enough evidence to show that there is God not because I think but because I know. Unfortunately you have not given me concrete proofs to support your beliefs.. I guess that is the difference between you and I, you only base your beliefs on if's, assumptions, and doubts but we base ours on facts and the Bible.

Gracias!
Re: 5 Questions For Atheists by sirthisthickkal: 8:38pm On Jun 15, 2016
SirWere:

And can this God not talk for himself. Can he not identify himself out of the many that has been purpoted to be him??

There are many texts in this world, all claiming to know exactly what this unverified deity wants.
And yet, all of them seem to be conflicting with each other; and the said deity remains silent.

Look, you claim there is a Deity above. Good, no problem.

But if you can't give conclusive evidence for his existence, why, how do we know YOUR deity is the true one
read all my comments word for word starting from the previous pages, your answer lies therein.
Re: 5 Questions For Atheists by JackBizzle: 8:58pm On Jun 15, 2016
UyiIredia:

God is everywhere. He exists all around us as the universe and is made even more obvious in the spiritual realm. When you die you can sort yourself out with him.

God is everywhere? Does that mean he is in my toilet? Does that mean that he was with Boko haram when they blew up christians in a church and did nothing?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Questions For Atheists by donnffd(m): 9:17pm On Jun 15, 2016
sirthisthickkal:

Very simple!

1.) He has given us freewill to choose whatever we want, he is never going to hold us against our will neither will he punish us for whatever decision we make. Even though you deny his existence, you are still benefiting from the rain and the sun he has created. He his not like some of those false and demi gods you watch in movies like you mentioned who demand sacrifice or dues in return for their so-called blessings.

2.) He has given us varieties. Varieties of fruit, varieties of food, varieties of colors, varieties of birds, varieties of fish, varieties of meat, varieties of raw materials, varieties of emotions, varieties of women
grin etc. Imagine a world whereby we eat eat only mango, we eat only beans, we wear only black, we see only dove in the sky, we eat only crayfish, we eat only beef, we discovered only oil from the ground, we only cry to express our feelings all the time, and we only see fat and robust women catwalking on the street every time , most definitely life would be so so boring and sad and folks would be committing suicide on a daily basis. But happily we serve a God who has a sense of humor, he knows what will make our live enjoyable for us all. No doubt, variety is the spice of life.

So far I have given you enough evidence to show that there is God not because I think but because I know. Unfortunately you have not given me concrete proofs to support your beliefs.. I guess that is the difference between you and I, you only base your beliefs on if's, assumptions, and doubts but we base ours on facts and the Bible.

Gracias!

Look, if you structured your arguments well and a little bit more intellectually honest, then maybe we would have a reasonable debate, but has of now, your arguments have been swallow, incoherent, baseless and full of conspiracy bits.

I asked how you know that jehovah created the universe, why couldn't it have been thor or zeus or allah...and just look at your response, it doesnt even correlate

1 Like

Re: 5 Questions For Atheists by sirthisthickkal: 9:49pm On Jun 15, 2016
donnffd:

Look, if you structured your arguments well and a little bit more intellectually honest, then maybe we would have a reasonable debate, but has of now, your arguments have been swallow, incoherent, baseless and full of conspiracy bits.

I asked how you know that jehovah created the universe, why couldn't it have been thor or zeus or allah...and just look at your response, it doesnt even correlate
for every question you asked I gave my honest opinion with simple and straightforward example so that you can grasp easily, I compared and contrasted all my point for you to understand, I even asked questions to get your feedback. In spite of all, you have failed to provide answers to those questions while I continue to give you my countless and structured opinions.

If you have run out of ideas, don't be ashamed to admit it. Besides Nobody knows it all.. Meanwhile if you can provide answers to my questions, feel free to inundate my mentions. I am willing to learn.

Gracias!
grin
Re: 5 Questions For Atheists by donnffd(m): 10:06pm On Jun 15, 2016
sirthisthickkal:

for every question you asked I gave my honest opinion with simple and straightforward example so that you can grasp easily, I compared and contrasted all my point for you to understand, I even asked questions to get your feedback. In spite of all, you have failed to provide answers to those questions while I continue to give you my countless and structured opinions.

If you have run out of ideas, don't be ashamed to admit it. Besides Nobody knows it all.. Meanwhile if you can provide answers to my questions, feel free to inundate my mentions. I am willing to learn.

Gracias!
grin

Trust me you are not willing to learn...

I gave a description of how the theories of natural selection came to be, you called me a liar and declared darwin wrong...how do you expect me to respond to that?

I would give you one more chance and ask again

How can you be sure that it was jehovah that created the universe, it could have been Zeus or Allah...whats gives you the assurance that your God is the right God?

1 Like

Re: 5 Questions For Atheists by Dejideji1(m): 10:21pm On Jun 15, 2016
@ donnffd and other atheist, answer this question below..

I know you believe that life originated by chance, meaning the occurrence of random events bringing non living matter together to form life? If it's as easy as this then why as any scientist not been able to recreate this in the lab? Why is it that it's only life that begets life? Even in cloning, a living cell is required.

*I doubt if anyone of you will be able to give a reasonable answer to that question.*
Re: 5 Questions For Atheists by sirthisthickkal: 10:31pm On Jun 15, 2016
donnffd:

Trust me you are not willing to learn...

I gave a description of how the theories of natural selection came to be, you called me a liar and declared darwin wrong...how do you expect me to respond to that?

I would give you one more chance and ask again

How can you be sure that it was jehovah that created the universe, it could have been Zeus or Allah...whats gives you the assurance that your God is the right God?

it is unfortunate I wasted my time with you very unfortunate, had I know from the beginning that you were this unyielding and naive I would have channeled my Time into something tangible. *yawn* right now, I have a bed to hug.

Nighty night.
Re: 5 Questions For Atheists by sirthisthickkal: 10:49pm On Jun 15, 2016
Dejideji1:

I know you believe that life originated by chance, meaning the occurrence of random events bringing non living matter together to form life? If it's as easy as these then why as any scientist not been able to recreate this feat in the lab? Why is it that it's only life that begets life? Even in cloning, a living cell is required.
Re: 5 Questions For Atheists by sirthisthickkal: 10:50pm On Jun 15, 2016
Dejideji1:

I know you believe that life originated by chance, meaning the occurrence of random events bringing non living matter together to form life? If it's as easy as these then why as any scientist not been able to recreate this feat in the lab? Why is it that it's only life that begets life? Even in cloning, a living cell is required.
don't jeopardize your sleep for some group of atheist who have nothing to offer. undecided
Re: 5 Questions For Atheists by Dejideji1(m): 11:06pm On Jun 15, 2016
sirthisthickkal:

don't jeopardize your sleep for some group of atheist who have nothing to offer. undecided

Don't mind them. They think we can't reason out of the box, now i have decided to tackle them with science and logical reasoning. I have read of many seasoned astronomers, molecular biologists, physicists etc that have come to the realization that God truly exists.
Re: 5 Questions For Atheists by cloudgoddess(f): 2:13am On Jun 16, 2016
ettaetta:

Atheism does not require acceptance of evolution. But obtaining a proper understanding of evolution leads some people to realize that biblical account of creation makes no sense, which leads to them becoming atheists.

Some Christians with a competent understanding of evolution do still believe in god. It takes a ton of cognitive dissonance but it's possible.

Dejideji1:
I know you believe that life originated by chance, meaning the occurrence of random events bringing non living matter together to form life? If it's as easy as this then why as any scientist not been able to recreate this in the lab? Why is it that it's only life that begets life? Even in cloning, a living cell is required.
*I doubt if anyone of you will be able to give a reasonable answer to that question.*
Side note before I begin my explanation:
Abiogenesis and evolution are two seperate studies. The basic mechanisms behind evolution have been proven beyond reasonable doubt. We know that evolution is the process that's been driving the diversification of life on earth, since the first life forms appeared.

Abiogenesis, which tells us how those first life forms got started in the first place, is still in the works. But regardless of whether or not one accepts abiogenesis, that still does not leave room for a deity who poofed every animal onto earth in their present forms. We know that is impossible because of evolution alone.

So, now for my answer:
For us to recreate abiogenesis as it occured on earth ~3.5 billion years ago, we would both have to know exactly what conditions were present during the emergence of the very first self-replicating molecules (which were far simpler than any modern cell, likely a short strand of RNA with a lipid coat), and then be able to manipulate those conditions in a lab setting.

We have made partial progress on those two steps.

We currently know some of the conditions that were implicit in the formation of life. We know that first, the earth had to cool; in it's beginnings Earth was a harsh, blazing hot ball made from the same nebula that formed the sun, completely hostile and unstable for the delicate chemical reactions required for self-replicating molecules to form.

Then an atmosphere had to form. Current evidence says early earth's atmosphere most likely contained carbon dioxide, ammonia, and methane, and little to no oxygen in it's first stages. Lightening storms and volcanic activity were commonplace.

The results of the Miller Urey experiment, conducted in 1950's gave us good evidence that the molecules that act as the building blocks of life (amino acids & nucleotides), could have formed spontaneously on primitive earth, by the interaction of lightening with it's CO2, methane, & ammonia-rich atmosphere, and hot water (from deep sea hydrothermal vents).

This experiment produced over 20 kinds of amino acids, and has been reconducted several times since it's initial run, consistently producing amino acids of varying quantities.

As I said, research on abiogenesis is still being conducted, and just like everything science has ever discovered, it will take time to get to the point of being able to recreate life "from scratch" ourselves, if such a thing would even be desireable (for example, why start from scratch when we can already copy and edit the DNA of pre-existing organisms? it's like typing a message over and over from the beginning instead of just copying and pasting.)

But slowly we're discovering more and more, and the evidence continues to coincinde with natural physical, chemical laws we are familiar with. In other words, there is still no sign of the formation of the first cells, or the organic materials leading up to them, having been a supernatural event.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 5 Questions For Atheists by Dejideji1(m): 7:41am On Jun 16, 2016
cloudgoddess:

Side note before I begin my explanation:
Abiogenesis and evolution are two seperate studies. The basic mechanisms behind evolution have been proven beyond reasonable doubt. We know that evolution is the process that's been driving the diversification of life on earth, since the first life forms appeared.

Abiogenesis, which tells us how those first life forms got started in the first place, is still in the works. But regardless of whether or not one accepts abiogenesis, that still does not leave room for a deity who poofed every animal onto earth in their present forms. We know that is impossible because of evolution alone.

So, now for my answer:
For us to recreate abiogenesis as it occured on earth ~3.5 billion years ago, we would both have to know exactly what conditions were present during the emergence of the very first self-replicating molecules (which were far simpler than any modern cell, likely a short strand of RNA with a lipid coat), and then be able to manipulate those conditions in a lab setting.

We have made partial progress on those two steps.

We currently know some of the conditions that were implicit in the formation of life. We know that first, the earth had to cool; in it's beginnings Earth was a harsh, blazing hot ball made from the same nebula that formed the sun, completely hostile and unstable for the delicate chemical reactions required for self-replicating molecules to form.

Then an atmosphere had to form. Current evidence says early earth's atmosphere most likely contained carbon dioxide, ammonia, and methane, and little to no oxygen in it's first stages. Lightening storms and volcanic activity were commonplace.

The results of the Miller Urey experiment, conducted in 1950's gave us good evidence that the molecules that act as the building blocks of life (amino acids & nucleotides), could have formed spontaneously on primitive earth, by the interaction of lightening with it's CO2, methane, & ammonia-rich atmosphere, and hot water (from deep sea hydrothermal vents).

This experiment produced over 20 kinds of amino acids, and has been reconducted several times since it's initial run, consistently producing amino acids of varying quantities.

As I said, research on abiogenesis is still being conducted, and just like everything science has ever discovered, it will take time to get to the point of being able to recreate life "from scratch" ourselves, if such a thing would even be desireable (for example, why start from scratch when we can already copy and edit the DNA of pre-existing organisms? it's like typing a message over and over from the beginning instead of just copying and pasting.)

But slowly we're discovering more and more, and the evidence continues to coincinde with natural physical, chemical laws we are familiar with. In other words, there is still no sign of the formation of the first cells, or the organic materials leading up to them, having been a supernatural event.

Firstly you don't have to begin by telling me that Abiogenenis and evolution are two different things that wasn't the question i asked you. I'm also a science student and i make research a lot too. I already knew about all the stuffs you wrote up there.

I intentionally asked that question because the last time I checked, that question has not been answered by scientists.
And for the theory of evolution that you so much believe in, have you read the book on "darwin's doubt"? If No try to get it and read it.

There are many molecular biologists, physicists and astronomers who have come to the realization that God truly exists. And this are even the practicing ones not ordinary Atheists like you that just read theories and use your logical reasoning to question the deep mysteries in life.

1 Like

Re: 5 Questions For Atheists by wirinet(m): 10:07am On Jun 16, 2016
ettaetta:
Five Questions for Atheists. l'l go straight to the point.

1.What caused the universe to exist?
Nobody knows. The universe exists, that us all we know. Scientist speculates that because the universe is expanding (inflating), it must have started from a very small point from which it has been expanding since (big bang), while different primitive societies speculates that an intelligent humanoid ( from their tribe) created the universe, for example, the Jewish religion and it's affiliates speculates that a Jewish man, spoke the universe into existence using Hebrew language.
2. What is the Evidence for Evolution?

Everything. Everything evolves, the universe evolves, the earth evolves, living things evolves. Even nairaland has evolved.

3 how do we account for the origin of diffrent languages spoken by humans?
Evolution. Different isolated groups develop different forms of communication and language. When a group of people of same tribe and languages migrate to another location, their language will differ slightly. After many migration, the new language would eventually be very different from the parent language.

4 Why do we not see humans being born in the zoos from monkeys if we came from monkeys or apes?
Stupid question. A monkey can never give birth to a human or vice versa, that is why they are different species. For your information, man is classified as one of 4 great apes.
5 what evidence can you offer that God does not exist?
Senseless. You do not prove a negative proposition. it will render sciences and human knowledge useless. I might as well tell you prove that a man does not live In the centre of the earth, and if you are unable to prove it, then it must be true. I can also demand that you prove that you did not kill Stephen keshi with Benin juju, if not, then you must go to jail for murdering Stephen keshi.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Questions For Atheists by ettaetta(m): 12:35pm On Jun 16, 2016
wirinet:

Senseless. You do not prove a negative proposition. it will render sciences and human knowledge useless. I might as well tell you prove that a man does not live In the centre of the earth, and if you are unable to prove it, then it must be true. I can also demand that you did not kill Stephen keshi with Benin juju, if not, then you must go to jail for murdering Stephen keshi

Stupid question. A monkey can never give birth to a human or vice versa, that is why they are different speeches. For your information, man is classified as one of 4 great apes
lol i take it that you ran out of ideas and dont know what to answer thats why you said stupid question. Well I have my reason for asking which is, i want to know about what you believe as an Atheist

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

A Prayer From The Cross – Good Friday / Have You Truly Bèen Born Of Water And Spirit ? / Lagos Orders Churches To Remove Loud Speakers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 140
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.