Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,286 members, 7,811,855 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:29 PM

How I Almost Got Scammed Today By A So Called Ex Corper Colleague (screenshot) - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How I Almost Got Scammed Today By A So Called Ex Corper Colleague (screenshot) (26798 Views)

I Just Got Scammed: SHELL RECRUITMENT. / Job Conditions Man Gave To Ex-Corper (Photos) / I Think I've Been Scammed.. Please What Can I Do? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How I Almost Got Scammed Today By A So Called Ex Corper Colleague (screenshot) by MadCow1: 9:13am On Jun 15, 2016
shulamitewoman:
Happened to me too wen I passed out..they usually do it immediately after NYSC...thank God I was smarter..

Shunamite Woman I know, who be 'Shulamite Woman'? grin grin grin
Re: How I Almost Got Scammed Today By A So Called Ex Corper Colleague (screenshot) by christaddicted: 9:14am On Jun 15, 2016
Its everywhere now... My ex colleagues received same too.. My truecaller made it much more easier..

When you're done reading my comment, see my signature.
Re: How I Almost Got Scammed Today By A So Called Ex Corper Colleague (screenshot) by tatucci: 9:15am On Jun 15, 2016
dis one has been happening since since na..
Re: How I Almost Got Scammed Today By A So Called Ex Corper Colleague (screenshot) by yjgm(m): 9:15am On Jun 15, 2016
U were indeed lucky as so many gullible ones fall for this crap.
Re: How I Almost Got Scammed Today By A So Called Ex Corper Colleague (screenshot) by johntaiwo123(m): 9:18am On Jun 15, 2016
K
Re: How I Almost Got Scammed Today By A So Called Ex Corper Colleague (screenshot) by Nobody: 9:19am On Jun 15, 2016
Twizzy30:
The scammer na big time olodo. Couldn't even construct a reasonable sentence
Most scammers I know are actually dull academically, I could have attributed their success to Nigeria's economic situation. But no, my conclusion is that if they can press your greed button, then they got you.
Re: How I Almost Got Scammed Today By A So Called Ex Corper Colleague (screenshot) by Missbizy(f): 9:20am On Jun 15, 2016
I also received such message last month buh didn't bother to call back cause I knew it's a scam.
Re: How I Almost Got Scammed Today By A So Called Ex Corper Colleague (screenshot) by kingstek(m): 9:23am On Jun 15, 2016
I had d same experience too. Dis Is d text d so called scammer sent to me.....

Kingsley. how are u? I hope fine, This is kopa Jamse Ikechukwu E. Ur kopa mate @ kaduna state KD/15A/3639. where are u now? my inlaw secured a job 4 m in (NNPC) oil company, and right now employmnt is going on now cal me let me link u 2 my inlaw.

After I got dis one, d scammer never had from me, so he decided to use another number and changed his name and sent me another text. Dis is d text below.

Hi. Kingsely ,is me UDEH IFECHUKWU E.ur xkopa mate@kadna I work wit SHELL Oil company is recruiting in R/S,hv u gotn a job?if no,cal me nw my inlaw is in charge.
Re: How I Almost Got Scammed Today By A So Called Ex Corper Colleague (screenshot) by ayusco85(m): 9:26am On Jun 15, 2016
Damsonkc:
It wasn't the guy you saw on the NYSC book that called you. The scammer probably laid his hands on one of the NYSC photo album and picked a random ID to use.

Yeah, that's wat I figured out too. because the guy on d pics was in my stream 2 batch C14, but i don't even knw him.
Re: How I Almost Got Scammed Today By A So Called Ex Corper Colleague (screenshot) by emenem: 9:27am On Jun 15, 2016
#COMPAN grin cheesy grin
the idiot could not even get the spelling right, which school did he graduate from. shocked
Re: How I Almost Got Scammed Today By A So Called Ex Corper Colleague (screenshot) by Jidalli007: 9:30am On Jun 15, 2016
It happened to me too. In my own case I followed up using MTN's free credit. Although the description he gave me about himself didn't ring a bell but I just played along. He told me he has spoken to one of his uncles about me and gave me the number of his so called uncle to call. I did, only for him to be asking if I were educated bla bla bla. Summarily, he asked me to pay 10500 to a bank account he didn't give me the details. The money was meant for d form which he'll send to my e-mail address to fill and submit because the form will be closing same day. I said OK and ended d call. The other guy was the one calling me persistently even unto the third day. My turn grin grin I posted him till he stopped calling.
Re: How I Almost Got Scammed Today By A So Called Ex Corper Colleague (screenshot) by ayusco85(m): 9:31am On Jun 15, 2016
chachanga:

You'd be surprised the extent that gullibility and desperation push people too; especially in the face of joblessness, hunger, shame and all the other ills that seem to easily find their ways into people's lives in Nigeria.

See how many people go round borrowing money to "buy" appointment letters from fake sources and their monies get swallowed with egusi without as much as any thankYou once they hear recruitment is on in Federal Civil service agencies, ehn? See people who can't climb 3 flights of stairways without panting for breath all donning white going for NIS screening? and the result of that iiishh? We all know!

Let the guy caution the rest peradventure his warning might help some poor soul, reading this, save their little allawee down the line someday!

U said it all. Pls guys who are yet to get a job don't be desperate, use Ur brains.
Re: How I Almost Got Scammed Today By A So Called Ex Corper Colleague (screenshot) by Petroking: 9:34am On Jun 15, 2016
This same thing happened to me after I recently passed out from Lagos state NYSC. But there is always a loop hole with them. I checked the person info with the state code everything matched but the phone number was not complete on the magazine which raised a red flag. Then he said I should pay money. I said I will pay but let's meet face to face. He backed out.

ayusco85:
Am not much of a writer, so pls pardon my grammar and punctuation.

It happened today, this morning at about 9:30am, I was on my way to where I hustle, I got an sis which said thus:

" ayuba.How are u i hope fine, am johnson franklin u x copa mate at Abia st cod 3048 can u work with shell OIL COMPAN if yes call me 4 information god bles u". (below is d screen shot of d sms).

After reading it, I was wondering if this was true of fake. I asked myself why will an ex Corper whose name doesn't ring a bell want to help me with a job in shell? I actually studied geology, so I was like perhaps he was touched by God to help me.

I was wondering my nxt step, Den an idea came to me. Instead of calling him instantly, why not let me check my nysc photo album for the owner of that state code number 3048 he quoted.

So I waited until I got home in d evening, I went Tru 5000 photos of the corpers on my nysc magazine looking for d bearer of that state code 3048. Lo and behold the guy with same name as stated in the sms and d same name bearing that state code on the nysc magazine.

Do I decided to call d number. The following conversation ensued...............

Me: hello, pls who is this....

Scammer: who are u? U called me and u are asking who is this.

Me: this number texted me abt one job, I actually checked u out on the nysc magazine and sorry your face doesn't ring a bell, pls whr do u knw me in Abia state whr I served, because I don't know u....... Before I finished he cut in

Scammer: "if you are not interested just forget it" ...

He sounded so rude, as if he was angry I busted him. He hurriedly ended the call.

I felt good with myself because I acted smartly ...

I decided to share this experience so others won't fall victim. I knw this period things are hard, some won't think twice before calling such numbers until they get duped of their little money all in d name of job offer. Pls ex Corpers beware.
Re: How I Almost Got Scammed Today By A So Called Ex Corper Colleague (screenshot) by ayusco85(m): 9:34am On Jun 15, 2016
duduade:
And you say you are smart... Nonsense... The fact that you could actually go all the length to look for the name shows you could be gullible...

How many times we don shout say such text messages are scams... You don't think at all you delete straight up

I wanted to even lead him on to thinking he was convincing me, I just wanted to put a face behind d number. If it was someone I knew, I will have been more disappointed in him or her because I knew it was scam. Who gets a shell job that easy? U think am stupid?
U don't decide who is smart or not. Smart people don't get scammed. Lots of people have tried to scam me, if I start telling u all d stories u will believe am smart as hell
Re: How I Almost Got Scammed Today By A So Called Ex Corper Colleague (screenshot) by ayusco85(m): 9:35am On Jun 15, 2016
Joy83:

It happened to me almost 2years after I finished NYSC. He mentioned some interesting details about me.

Did u fall for it?
Re: How I Almost Got Scammed Today By A So Called Ex Corper Colleague (screenshot) by TaiKuun(m): 9:36am On Jun 15, 2016
Maxineng:
Oldest trick in the book. It happens every time a batch of corp members pass out.

hello graduate, to "pass out" means to die
Re: How I Almost Got Scammed Today By A So Called Ex Corper Colleague (screenshot) by ayusco85(m): 9:37am On Jun 15, 2016
Twizzy30:
The scammer na big time olodo. Couldn't even construct a reasonable sentence

Don't mind the mofo, he thinks everyone is Dat gullible to think such jobs comes easy?
Re: How I Almost Got Scammed Today By A So Called Ex Corper Colleague (screenshot) by TaiKuun(m): 9:37am On Jun 15, 2016
shulamitewoman:
Happened to me too wen I passed out..they usually do it immediately after NYSC...thank God I was smarter..
Hello graduate, to "pass out" means to die.
Re: How I Almost Got Scammed Today By A So Called Ex Corper Colleague (screenshot) by ayusco85(m): 9:39am On Jun 15, 2016
amiibaby:
Let me comment bfor reading shocked
Lol. D post isn't that lengthy to read.
Re: How I Almost Got Scammed Today By A So Called Ex Corper Colleague (screenshot) by Twizzy30(m): 9:40am On Jun 15, 2016
blueseacats:
Most scammers I know are actually dull academically, I could have attributed their success to Nigeria's economic situation. But no, my conclusion is that if they can press your greed button, then they got you.
Yea u re right.
Re: How I Almost Got Scammed Today By A So Called Ex Corper Colleague (screenshot) by Amicable24: 9:42am On Jun 15, 2016
ayusco85:

Mine too was sms, I attached d screen shot. I called d number to find out who was behind it weda I will recognize the voice. I knew it was scam
He may even be someone who knew u back den in camp.. Like ur pady
Re: How I Almost Got Scammed Today By A So Called Ex Corper Colleague (screenshot) by ayusco85(m): 9:42am On Jun 15, 2016
banme1:
Op. Ur pal who got ur contact wired it to him. Simple. Na inside job

That's it. Simple. because it's not just abt getting my phone number. It's more Dan Dat, d person had my details. Am guessing one guy we were always talking abt a career in d oil and gas, he studied petroleum engr while I studied geology and mining.

Nice one bro
Re: How I Almost Got Scammed Today By A So Called Ex Corper Colleague (screenshot) by ayusco85(m): 9:43am On Jun 15, 2016
hiroz:
very common trick..got such SMS too..never bothered replying them cus I knew it was a scam artist... op there are so many ways they could get your details,during nysc we drop our info at so many places,ppa,CDs,local govt,board of education,photo album,camp.....OP with the structure and grammar in the message did u actually think it was an Shell staff...

I knew it was scam, but I just wanted to make him think it was working, but he chickened out before we even talked for two mins
Re: How I Almost Got Scammed Today By A So Called Ex Corper Colleague (screenshot) by ayusco85(m): 9:44am On Jun 15, 2016
MadCow1:
This is the oldest scam in the Book.. grin

Even me sef received like two of them.

Yea, my sisters too received during their time. But sone fresh ex Corpers might fall for it in this hard times. That's why I had to bring it here, so newbies can learn Dat it's a trick.
Re: How I Almost Got Scammed Today By A So Called Ex Corper Colleague (screenshot) by Nobody: 9:46am On Jun 15, 2016
ayusco85:
Am not much of a writer, so pls pardon my grammar and punctuation.

It happened today, this morning at about 9:30am, I was on my way to where I hustle, I got an sis which said thus:

" ayuba.How are u i hope fine, am johnson franklin u x copa mate at Abia st cod 3048 can u work with shell OIL COMPAN if yes call me 4 information god bles u". (below is d screen shot of d sms).

After reading it, I was wondering if this was true of fake. I asked myself why will an ex Corper whose name doesn't ring a bell want to help me with a job in shell? I actually studied geology, so I was like perhaps he was touched by God to help me.

I was wondering my nxt step, Den an idea came to me. Instead of calling him instantly, why not let me check my nysc photo album for the owner of that state code number 3048 he quoted.

So I waited until I got home in d evening, I went Tru 5000 photos of the corpers on my nysc magazine looking for d bearer of that state code 3048. Lo and behold the guy with same name as stated in the sms and d same name bearing that state code on the nysc magazine.

Do I decided to call d number. The following conversation ensued...............

Me: hello, pls who is this....

Scammer: who are u? U called me and u are asking who is this.

Me: this number texted me abt one job, I actually checked u out on the nysc magazine and sorry your face doesn't ring a bell, pls whr do u knw me in Abia state whr I served, because I don't know u....... Before I finished he cut in

Scammer: "if you are not interested just forget it" ...

He sounded so rude, as if he was angry I busted him. He hurriedly ended the call.

I felt good with myself because I acted smartly ...

I decided to share this experience so others won't fall victim. I knw this period things are hard, some won't think twice before calling such numbers until they get duped of their little money all in d name of job offer. Pls ex Corpers beware.

Trust me when i say it's not an Ex Corper someone must have gotten your number through the magazine, i got the same text/call too, but my uncle works in shell and if it's one thing i know about Shell no one's entering unless you pass the exam.

It sounded credible because i spoke to someone about Shell during nysc, he called a name i couldn't remember the moment he mentioned me parting with cash, my lagos sense kicked in and cut the call.
Re: How I Almost Got Scammed Today By A So Called Ex Corper Colleague (screenshot) by austin4real(m): 9:49am On Jun 15, 2016
The scammer is a mad person. He no wan exceed the 160 sms limit, na why he dey try shorten the sms as much as possible, broke ass scammer. E fit be say na the last 4 naira way dry the werey phone he take dey text...... Goddamn rippers
Re: How I Almost Got Scammed Today By A So Called Ex Corper Colleague (screenshot) by Nobody: 9:49am On Jun 15, 2016
Same thing happened to me and most of the outgoing batch A corps members. Someone used a corps member kt no to send the same message.
Re: How I Almost Got Scammed Today By A So Called Ex Corper Colleague (screenshot) by Nobody: 9:55am On Jun 15, 2016
are you innocent? grin #naplayo
ayusco85:

It's typical of Nigerians, always thinking of hw to scam innocent people.
Re: How I Almost Got Scammed Today By A So Called Ex Corper Colleague (screenshot) by BEAMBOR13(f): 9:56am On Jun 15, 2016
I also received the scam message this morning from one ekeh frankline
Re: How I Almost Got Scammed Today By A So Called Ex Corper Colleague (screenshot) by Nobody: 9:57am On Jun 15, 2016
No need to call him, I just saved his number as 419 for future messages.
I am used to all of them.

1 Like

Re: How I Almost Got Scammed Today By A So Called Ex Corper Colleague (screenshot) by shulamitewoman(f): 9:58am On Jun 15, 2016
TaiKuun:
Hello graduate, to "pass out" means to die.
hi mr english prof to pass out is a slang used in camp..so am aware of the meaning b4 I used it..u shld work more on yaself on how to tlk politely.
Re: How I Almost Got Scammed Today By A So Called Ex Corper Colleague (screenshot) by ayusco85(m): 10:00am On Jun 15, 2016
yjgm:
U were indeed lucky as so many gullible ones fall for this crap.

I knew it was scam. I just wanted to bust him dats why I called.
And am i'm sharing this so the inexperienced ones can learn.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

5 Things You Should Never Put On Your Cv / What Is The Least Salary 4 The Nigeria Police Force. / Advice To Unemployed Graduates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.