Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,249 members, 7,957,605 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 03:38 PM

CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I - Business (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I (78741 Views)

What Happened To The Naira Swap / Dangote Floats $100m Truck Assembly Plant In Lagos / Good News. The Naira Is Now 245 To $1. See Inside! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by erico2k2(m): 9:11pm On Jun 16, 2016
jinglesbaby:
How many things are "Made in England" despite their good roads, hospitals, education et all? It's mostly because of taxes! We all go to China, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Vietnam to import "common pant (what we call pata in Yoruba)"! Even Marks & Spencer where I buy my undergarments go to Asia to buy! If we can start running "sweat-shops" sha like we have in Aba, maybe we will attract foreign investment too. The only things that are made in UK these days are "mixed-race babies and sham marriages" smiley! We dont have all these basic social amenities that would attract foreign investors no matter how willing they are to invest because of the foreign exchange policies. There are always two sides to a coin at the end of the day.

Guy why are you talking like this , you are asking what is made in the Uk, realy?UK is 67M population and they control the worlds finance, have the highest diamond haul,produce the most expensive cars, produce civil and commercial air planes, arms etc
produce jaguar, land rovers, range rovers, vauxhall's,Austin martins,Rolls royce,Mini cooper,,Trains, U want me to go on? just say you do not buy what they have to produce

4 Likes

Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by jpphilips(m): 12:10pm On Jun 17, 2016
tiwiex:

I don't think Buhari has any economic plan. The drop in naira was expected with the capital control. it was a futile effort. It didn't require an experiment to do what CBN just did. The demand and available supply already spelt the situation. So why delay the evil day and suffer while at it? Like I said, Buhari will deliver not because he knows what to do but because reality eventually leaves him with no choice. We didn't need to get to this point on FX and definitely not with the Niger Delta. CBN made the announcement 3 weeks ago but just released the modalities today. They were clearly not ready and just started work on it. Please help Nigerians beg him to slow down on his ego for the sake of the country. Let the advisers take charge. That is why they were appointed. Good move at last but Buharinomics just means trial and error without a need for the trial due to available expert advise.

The economy is not a vehicle where you knock off a bumper and replace when you have a dent, the economy was suffering from low FX liquidity, you can not solve it by let everything loose, you wouldn't have absorbed any shocks, the right step is restrict then loosen, exactly what CBN did, please if you don't understand the Govt policies just STFU.
Do you think we would have had any need to float if not for the bombings that cut production significantly, the economy was already on the path of a healthy recovery at the onset.

3 Likes

Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by jpphilips(m): 1:09pm On Jun 17, 2016
[quote author=19naia post=46613224]
Sure this means devalue of the Naira but its the devaluation that has been waiting to float after being held back by Naira Pegging and $ scarcity. The pegging was done to protect the dwindling oil dollar income without having to raise the price of Nigerian oil to compensate for the devalued Naira-(they cannot just raise oil prices because of international price standards,they would lose customers and ALL oil revenue, so they just peg the currency to an unatural high value instead -to stop naira devalution effects in the weakened oil market). Now that oil price is coming up to a stable place and reserves have started to stabilize, there is no more need to peg the naira and risk the imbalance it does to the economy as a whole.

When oil sold for $115 a barrel, Nigeria pegged its currency, you got this paragraph wrong, we are not floating because the reserves are stabilizing, we are floating because it has dwindled further occasioned by the popular low crude price and the most recent production cut (NDA bombing). It is a way of telling you that we have lost completely our capacity to fix the naira completely.

Right now, the CBN stands to gain in this devaluation move because it is sitting on $ reserves valued at 199 per unit , that will soon become around 285 per unit or more. That is a very profitable move for them. They prevented massive losses as reserves dwindled by pegging naira at 199, and now they are ready to rake in massive naira gains by selling those N199 dollars for much higher.

This must be a joke right? We use our foreign reserve to fix the naira at 199 in the first place, so in a layman's term, the government is "cheating" itself for the greater good, that is the whole essence of fixing the currency in the first place, "fixed" means, use your reserve to create a false buffer for your currency, what happens when you lose your buffer That is where we are now, again, you forgot that at 285 to a naira, inflation has doubled so no the CBN has absolutely nothing to gain except that the reserves are shielded from currency manipulations, the CBN throws in or withdraws dollars from the market at will as an intervention unlike setting the pace every time, it is a clear signal that the CBN actually lost its capacity to maintain the 199 mark.

CBN retains the right to *move in from time to time* and that is the clause they need to move in and peg the Naira again down the road for when it favors them to set up for another round of collecting dollars under a high naira value and then releasing the naira peg later to bring in a profit. Also move in when the market goes rougue under wreckless influences. Free Market is prone to all kinds of economic disasters especially in corupt and greedy markets.

Wrong!! the CBN is stepping in because they do not want Nigeria to operate a "free float" system rather a "dirty float" system which will require the CBN to have a latent band range for the currency, while demand and supply determined the range, the CBN through intervention will ensure that range is not exceeded, the only disadvantage is that the market is prone to speculative shocks because nobody really knows the band the CBN will adopt at any time.

This is good proof also that CBN has confidence in stable future $ revenues coming in -but the Niger-delta damage to oil revenues has not yet settled. I recall it was forcasted to dent budget plans in months to come. Selling dollar futures is also a CBN hedge against dollar scarciry in the future, they can always print new Naira bills to pay the $ owed to those who bought dollar futures. Buying dollar futures from CBN is a bit of a risk because dollar scarcity is a clear possibility again in CBN coffers. But, you can get your Naira back even if CBN has to print Naira to pay you.

The naira you have in circulation is peaking an inflation of 15.8% with your current capacity for goods and services distribution, did you say print more naira? good luck with that!! why do you think that the CBN's monetary policy tend to a lower CRR?

Low value currency is a good thing when you have lots to export for revenue income or to attract foriegn investors with money and essential services.

A weak currency only support export driven economies not an import one, how is it a good thing for Nigeria that is import driven?

Any economy and government so heavily dependent on one product, is bound to ups and downs and extreme vulnerability if it is not the world leader of that particular market or does not have formidable military and international diplomatic influence around the world to use to shape market and governement policy beyond its borders.
Saudi Arabia is an example of being overly dependent on one product(oil) but having the advantage of world oil market influence and close support of a military and diplomatic superpower(USA). Saudi Arabia is the one that called for the drop of oil prices that caused all this problem to begin for Nigeria. Also productivity of oil world wide, influenced the Saudi decision and actually makes it better for the customer except in Nigeria where petrol prices have gone up because of complications with the government entwined oil market. Hence the privatization of sourcing fuel to depots and privatization of refineries in Nigeria, which will infact lead to the drop in fuel prices in Nigera in time when fully functioning in private hands. Dangote refinery is yet to be completed. Soon.

You read the tabloid upside down, Saudi Arabia is not immuned to the present crude price shock as a matter of fact saudi has removed petroleum subsidy, cut payout to citizens and have over $98b deficit in their 2016 budget, the only difference Nigeria has with Saudi is the fact that the Saudi government saved over $780b when the going was good, again the religious tourism at Medina rakes in a lot of cash for Saudi so it is wrong to refer to Saudi as an oil dependent economy, Again Saudi does not have a solitary global influence in oil price, she needs OPEC to move, USA produce more oil than Saudi so where is the influence without OPEC.

The Saudi 2015 strategy not to cut production was not a solitary decision it was a unilateral OPEC decision, the reason is this; they thought that a lower price will discourage shale producers from investing more funds in Shale production, the plan eventually backfired, it is wrong to say that Saudi was the cause of oil price crash, Saudi only reacted to eliminate his new colorado competitors.
The cause was the country that threw in over 6mbopd of shale oil in a market that is already saturated.
you don't appeal to me like someone who is really sound on some of these subjects.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by 989900: 2:11pm On Jun 17, 2016
erico2k2:

Guy why are you talking like this , you are asking what is made in the Uk, realy?UK is 67M population and they control the worlds finance, have the highest diamond haul,produce the most expensive cars, produce civil and commercial air planes, arms etc
produce jaguar, land rovers, range rovers, vauxhall's,Austin martins,Rolls royce,Mini cooper,,Trains, U want me to go on? just say you do not buy what they have to produce

Add coal, oil, natural gas, tin, gold, limestone, iron ore, agric. wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by Horus(m): 12:46am On Jun 18, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLQI6zgdemE

[size=14pt]CBN Floats The Naira[/size]
Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by 2sexycom(m): 5:40am On Jun 18, 2016
Horus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLQI6zgdemE

[size=14pt]CBN Floats The Naira[/size]
bros, you like videos. Chai
Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by docadams: 9:26am On Jun 19, 2016
anonimi:

Do you mean the RCCG Adeboye waiver scandal under Ebola Owu

Hmmmmmmm
Leaking memory. It's good you brought out that sordid affair but I am not surprised because it was the usual trademark of PDP. it lends credence to what we know about GEJ et al:

Import Duty Waiver : Senate Uncovers N447.42billion Fraud ...
The Senate, says it has uncovered N447.42 billion fraud perpetuated in the administration of import duty waivers, concessions and grants by different Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) of the federal government.
Presenting a report during Tuesday’s plenary, chairman of the Senate adhoc committee on Import Duty Waivers, Concessions and Grants, Senator Adamu Aliero, said, the period under review is from 2011-2015.
The report is a follow up to a motion moved on the floor Senate in January 2016. The Senate had subsequently set up an adhoc committee to investigate the claims in the motion and report back to it within a specified time.
According to the breakdown by the committee chairman, in 2011, N78,489,941,114.74 was lost through waivers, concessions and grants to different private companies who were engaged in importing goods to the country.
In 2012, the federal government lost N128,538,453,758.99. Similarly, in 2013, the Senate report claimed that N46,056,265,355.78. In 2014, N87,654,744,360.22.
According to Senator Aliero, former president
Goodluck Jonathan-led federal government approved N106,711,892,098.14 as waivers, concessions and grants to private companies in 2015 alone.
He bemoaned what he described as large scale revenue leakages that robbed government f huge sums of money that would have been used for provision of infrastructural development and social services.
He blamed the flagrant abuse of the process on lack of synergy among MDAs charged with the responsibilities of administering import duty waivers, concessions and grants.
He specifically named Federal Ministry of Finance, Nigeria Customs Service, Federal Ministry of Industries, Trade and Investment, Nigeria Promotion Council, Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development and Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) as agencies responsible for the loopholes...

http://www.google.com.ng/url?q=http://eparliamentng.org/e/2016/05/24/import-duty-waiver-senate-uncovers-n447-42billion-fraud/&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwiArt65zrPNAhWBLcAKHTBkA-0QFggLMAA&usg=AFQjCNGP4NLxczn2kMx6bzhdWi0pmxyE5g

Dangote, others, got N15 billion illegal duty waiver to import ...
25 May 2016 ... ... billion import duty waiver and concessions to import rice by the Goodluck
Jonathan's administration, ...

http://www.google.com.ng/url?q=http://pointblanknews.com/pbn/exclusive/dangote-others-got-n15-billion-illegal-duty-waiver-import-rice-senate/&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwiArt65zrPNAhWBLcAKHTBkA-0QFggRMAI&usg=AFQjCNHX_O42o-klw96ptbS3O3k7aKxj8Q

Nigeria Lost N585bn To Waivers On Rice Under Goodluck ...
31 Jul 2015 ... ... sum of N585 billion to import waivers in the last four years of former President
Goodluck Jonathan , ...
http://www.google.com.ng/url?q=http://www.theparadigmng.com/2015/07/31/nigeria-lost-n585bn-to-waivers-on-rice-under-goodluck-jonathan/&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwiArt65zrPNAhWBLcAKHTBkA-0QFggiMAg&usg=AFQjCNGTtnQ5Yg_XpLOV4GmSIVKSm2zi1Q
Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by okirahaj: 4:33pm On Jun 20, 2016
repogirl:
CBN will not fix the price at N197 but will allow the demand for the forex determine what the exchange rate will be.
thank u
Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by skayT: 3:29am On Jun 16, 2023
Hello Sir.

This is how many years down the road? Freaking 7 years! How far with Buhari's floating policy? What was the outcome? Tinubu is also doing the same now in 2023. Oh my God! APC is a disaster!
hotdi:

It is called single window Forex.
CBN will no longer fix official price for exchange rate anymore, but let the demand and supply forces of the market determine the rate.
Single in the sense that they wouldn't be official price on one side, and parallel market on the other side.
In this case, the CBN ceases to be the only supply of e.g. Dollar into the market. Also, CBN becomes a participant in the market
instead of playing the boss. Its influence becomes minimal base only on regulatory roles.

Are u satisfied?

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. / Melinda Gates Rents ₦50Million Per Night Private Island(Pics) / If You Had Known This Earlier, I Believe You Wouldn't Spend Lavishly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.